• Published 15th Aug 2019
  • 532 Views, 89 Comments

EoH Evolution: Season 6 - Bahamut0



The Elements of Heroism have been disbanded. And under the command of Blitz Surge, the Lancers now roam freely. However, all of Blitz's plans are about to burst apart. For Power has returned to restore hope!

  • ...
3
 89
 532

Episode 5: The Gauntlet of Fire

It began like any other morning for Spike. He yawned, scratched his head, and proceeded to change into his day clothes. Or at least, the morning would have been normal for Spike if his scales weren't glowing a crazy color and making him itch like crazy!

"Itchy! So itchy!" Spike cried out as he fiercely scratched himself! Stumbling out of his room as he came close to shredding apart his clothes! "Twilight!"

Shortly after Spike had barged in and scratching, Twilight contacted Celestia and Luna about the strange occurrence with the young dragon. It was soon revealed that Spike's glowing scales were caused by a summons from the Dragon Lord, the leader of all dragons. The glow would only cease when the summons is the dragons answered the call.

"I guess I'll have to show up to shut down this light show that's my skin right now." Spike stated as he went through the information he'd been given. "Looks like I'm going to the Dragon Lands."

"You're not going on this road trip alone, Spike." Burst said as he joined the conversation with Arctic Ace in tow. "Ace's weapons just started glowing for some weird reason. And considering the Duelist Arms are based on legendary beasts and have the spirits of those beasts usually within them, maybe the dragons in Ace's Duelist Arms are a bit homesick."

"Hey, why aren't you glowing, Burst?" Twilight questioned. "You have dragon attributes now. Shouldn't your skin be glowing, too?"

"Well, my dragon power was given to me by a dragon of greater power than the Dragon Lord." Burst answered. "Back when Tirek thrashed me back in Castalot, the spirit residing in my Duelist Arms manifested. Much like how the dragon soul inside Inferno's weapons manifested when he was at his breaking point. The spirit in my weapons offered me its power while I was on my last legs. You all saw the aftermath of that choice, and that leads us to why I was absent."

"Why were you gone, Burst?" Spike asked.

"Because I had to fully master the power that dragon's soul gave to me." Burst replied. "And as for why I haven't been summoned, it's because that dragon soul was Bahamut's. The king of all dragons." The entire room was still in shocked silence at Burst Stream's declaration! "That's probably why I'm not glowing or itching. All the same, I wouldn't mind checking out a new place. Could be fun!"

"Before you go, there's something you should know, Burst." Twilight mentioned. "Three dragons passed by a while back. They said they were searching for the one who inherited Bahamut's power. You'll know them when you see them."

"Gotcha." Burst nodded. "Want me to give you a lift, Spike?"

"Nah!" Spike shook his head. "I went on foot last time, and I'll go again. Besides, I'm not exactly travel-sized anymore. Just gotta pack some supplies, and I'll be good to go!"

The minute he'd finished packing, Spike set out with his fellow members of the Elements of Heroism towards the Dragon Lands. Burst and Ace arrived sooner than Spike due to being able to fly, but they greeted the young dragon.

"Saved you a spot, Spike." Burst grinned.

"So what did I miss?" Spike asked.

"Not much. The Dragon Lord's not here yet." Arctic Ace shrugged before his expression turned serious. "Though, there's one bit of unwelcome company." Ace motioned with his head towards Garble. The bully was off flaunting his status as a Lancer to a bunch of the other young dragons who'd answered the Dragon Lord's summons. And as luck would have it, Garble noticed the group.

"You losers are here?" Garble scoffed. He then frowned as he looked at Spike. "I haven't forgotten about you, buddy. I owe you for singeing my jacket with that arm cannon of yours!"

"You've got it out for me over something that petty?" Spike frowned in annoyance. "Or maybe you're just mad you've run into me while I'm not small and helpless anymore. I've grown a lot stronger since we last met, and I've sure as heck grown up more than you."

"Do I. . . know you from a while back?" Garble asked with a confused look on his face. "Your colors are kinda familiar. . . "

"You really don't remember me, do you?" Spike asked in disbelief before steeling his gaze. "Well, you're going to remember it once this is all over."

"Pfft! Yeah right, dweeb!" Garble smirked! "Because by the end of this, I'll be the new Dragon Lord! And once I am, I'll ditch the Lancers! I'll have all dragons steal what they want from Unity, and burn the rest!"

"No, you won't." Spike declared boldly. "I'm gonna stop you. That's my duty as an Element of Heroism."

"I'd like to see you try." Garble sneered as he turned to leave.

It wasn't long before the Dragon Lord arrived with a mighty roar! Dragon Lord Torch announced that the reason he'd called all the dragons here was because he was retiring as Dragon Lord, and a successor would soon be chosen. The challenge to claim the position of Dragon Lord was the Gauntlet of Fire. The dragons had to navigate their way through a cave of obstacles, and the one who returned with the Bloodstone Scepter in their hands would be named the new Dragon Lord!

As the other dragons were chattering about what they would do if they were Dragon Lord, Spike focused his attention the female teenage dragon that seemed to be bickering with Torch. Interested, Spike decided to investigate. He had ventured pretty close when the sound of giant wings beating filled the air. From the sky, Spectrum, Cosmos and Kiryu descended. Dragon Torch visibly intimidated by the three legendary dragons!

"L-Legendary dragons!" Torch said with a nervous smile! Bowing in respect to the new arrivals! "W-We were not expecting you to make an appearance! Y-You honor me by answering my summons!"

"Sorry to disappoint you, but your summons is not the reason we have traveled here." Kiryu stated plainly. "As you know, we legendary dragons come from a higher tier of power than the Dragon Lord."

"Ah, those were the days!" Spectrum sighed fondly. "Back when Bahamut reigned over our kingdom! Heck, the three of us were his trusted lords and comrades! All that's missing is Felgrand and Eclipse!"

"I-If you would not be bothered by my asking," Torch gulped. "What brings you to the Dragon Lands?"

"While it was not our intention to answer your summons, Lord Torch, my friends and I have been interested in how our people have been fairing." Cosmos answered. "And we are pleased to see that they still live free. As any dragon should live. But as for why we are here, we have sensed the power of Bahamut here."

"B-b-bahamut?!" Torch sputtered in complete shock! "But Bahamut had no hatchlings! He fell in battle!"

"Though his body failed, his soul persisted." Kiryu answered. "And that soul carried Bahamut's power. Waiting to find one who is worthy to pass on his power. And we are pleased to say, that the heir to Bahamut's power walks among us here."

"Then shall I cancel the challenge?" Torch asked as he began sweating bullets!

"No need." Spectrum shook his head. "You and your predecessors have done a fine job ever since Bahamut's passing."

"Thank heaven and the goddesses." Torch said with a massive sigh of relief.

"Wow. And here I was thinking Mom was the only one who could make Dad this nervous." Ember smirked at seeing her dad get nervous around the legendary dragons. "So who are you old geezers anyway?"

"Ember!" Torch's body went rigid as he got in his daughter's face! "Show some respect! You're in the presence of legendary dragons Spectrum, Kiryu, and Cosmos!"

"Now, now. We have been around for a while." Spectrum chuckled as he saw Torch preparing to beg for forgiveness. "So this is your daughter, eh? She's got the same fire as you, Torch! If you'd decided to pass your title by inheritance, she'd make a fine dragon lord!"

"My little princess?" Torch asked in disbelief! Ember blushing in embarrassment! "N-Nonsense! The biggest and strongest of dragons are meant to be Dragon Lord!"

"You forget, Torch." Cosmos smirked. "I'm almost half your size, and could still best you in combat."

"Y-Yes." Torch gulped. "Ember, leave this talk to the big dragons."

"Fine." Ember groaned as she rolled her eyes. Flying down to the ground level. Marveling at the legendary dragons conversing with her father. "To think that there's dragons like that out there. . . "

"Yeah." Spike said. Startling Ember as she hadn't noticed him right beside her! "This is my second time seeing them, and I still can't help but be in awe."

"Wait, you've MET those guys before?" Ember asked in disbelief as she also took in Spike's appearance. "I've never seen a dragon wearing as much as you are, either."

"Well, I live in Unity." Spike answered with a smile. "Name's Spike."

"Ember." Ember said with a nod before looking over the horde of dragons that had answered the summons for the challenge. "Everybody's going to be gunning for the top spot once the challenge begins. Too bad I won't get my shot."

"You want to be competing against your friends down there, right?" Spike asked.

"What friends?" Ember asked.

"Are dragons not supposed to have friends?" Spike asked with a puzzled look on his face. "Because if so, I'm definitely an exception to that rule."

"Oh, no. Dragons aren't alien to the concept of friends." Ember explained. "I just haven't had many due to my princess status. So, yeah. I never really had much friends growing up."

"Well you got one now!" Spike beamed as he extended his hand.

"Uh. . . thanks." Ember said as she shook Spike's hand. "You're not trying to court me, are you?"

"What?! No!" Spike sputtered as he whipped out his phone, and smiled at a picture of Sweetie Belle. "I've already got my princess waiting for me back home. The sooner this challenge is done, the sooner I can get back to her."

"Well, you're gonna have a tougher time than anyone else." Ember gestured to Spike's lack of wings. "Most dragons have their wings at out age. You a late bloomer or something?"

"I guess." Spike shrugged. "Still, as long as I can travel is what counts."

"You don't quit easily, do you?" Ember raised an eyebrow in curiousity. "Well, good luck out there. You're gonna need it."

"Hope you'll be rooting for me!" Spike beamed as he dashed off to where the competitors had gathered for the gauntlet. At the same time, Ember began her own preparations for the gauntlet.

Before long, the gauntlet began with Dragon Lord Torch letting loose a mighty blast of flame as the starting signal! Every dragon competing shot out like a bullet! Some of them elbowing or snapping at each other in an attempt to advance! The more aggressive competitors, such as Garble, were actively shoving and forcing their way through!

"And now I'm glad I decided to take this route instead." Spike thought out loud as he swam across the water surrounding the island where the obstacle portion of the gauntlet would be held. "I'm a bit surprised Twilight isn't here, but it's good to know that she's treating me like my age. Still, I wouldn't be shocked if she was somehow observing everything."

Meanwhile, back at Twilight's castle, the recently mentioned princess sneezed as she was looking over a viewing spell to observe Spike as he competed in the Gauntlet of Fire.

Thankfully, Spike made it to the shore fairly quick. A benefit he thanked his training with the Elements of Heroism for. However, it wasn't long before Spike's progress was halted when a masked dragon wearing light armor was knocked out of the sky and onto the ground! Wasting no time, Spike came to the dragon's aid! When he reached the dragon, he was surprised to see Ember was underneath the mask!

"Guess you're not too big on obeying your parents, huh?" Spike asked.

"I'm smarter than most of the boulderheads in this competition." Ember said with a pout. "If my dad thinks that's a reason that I shouldn't compete, then I'm gonna prove him wrong! I'll show that you don't have to be big or strong to be Dragon Lord!"

"You're not big, but you're plenty strong." Spike stated with a small smile. "Want some help winning this thing?"

"Is this something friends do?" Ember asked.

"One of many." Spike answered before he saw Garble getting knocked to the ground by a boulder. "That boulder force the hot air out of your lungs?"

"C'mon, dude!" Garble pleaded! "You wouldn't leave a dragon down like this, would you? I mean, what've I ever done to you?!"

"Plenty." Spike growled before sighing. "You're damn lucky I'm not the vengeful type." Spike shoved the boulder off of Garble, but immediately jumped away when he saw Garble's knee coming towards his gut! "Real heroic of you to turn on the guy who just dragged you out of trouble."

"I guess you're not as stupid as I thought." Garble sneered. "But you're still not gonna stop me from torching Unity once I'm Dragon Lord!"

"You wouldn't live past the first minute of attempting it." Spike shot back as he and Ember made a mad dash for the obstacles! Most of the other dragons were having difficulty nagivating or avoiding the obstacles thrown at them, but it was a breeze for Spike and Ember! Ember holding Spike his arms and Spike using his Duelist Arm to blast any boulders or debris that got thrown at the pair!

Before long, the two of them made it to the cave where the Bloodstone Scepter rested. Unfortunately, the pair had an unwelcome tailgater. Garble had secretly followed the two as they navigated through the gauntlet's obstacles! And like the coward he was, Garble ambushed the pair! Grappling with Ember!

"Y'know, every lord needs his lady." Garble smirked as he tried to pin the dragon princess! "Whaddya say, princess?"

"Sorry. Not interested in boulderheads!" Ember grunted as she headbutted Garble!

"Oh, you're gonna regret that princess!" Garble growled as he clutched his head! "Let's see how-GAH!" Garble was forced back by a shot from Spike's arm cannon!

"You're the only one who's going to regret anything!" Spike declared as he got between Ember and Garble! "You just keep reminding me of the reasons why I don't like you."

"Geez! What's your deal with me?!" Garble demanded crossly as he got to his feet!

"Do you remember the last Great Dragon Migration?" Spike asked with a frown. "There was a little dragon there that you made fun of for being raised by humans. You and a bunch of other bullies decided to hold a little test to have him prove that he was a dragon. You had him steal a phoenix egg, and wanted him to smash it. But he refused, and stood up to you. Nothing gets bullies more angry than when someone stands up to them. And now, I'm standing up to you again."

"Wait a minute. . . no, no way!" Garble snarled in denial! "There's no way you're that same runt-!"

"I am." Spike declared with a glare. "It's me! Spike!" And he let loose a charged shot from his arm cannon! Striking Garble square in the chest!

While Spike had been dealing with Garble, Ember got her hands on the Bloodstone Scepter! A massive beam of crimson light shooting into the sky as the scepter shrunk down so it could be handled at her scale!

"Looks like Dragon Lord Ember will be blazing a new trail for dragons." Spike said with a satisfied nod as he made his way to the new dragon lord. "Hey. Wanna get even with this jerk for cheating his way here?"

"You read my mind." Ember smirked as she loomed over Garble! "I hereby order you to hug every dragon you come across before leaving! And if you tell them why, consider yourself banished!" Garble only grumbled in response as he lft to dispense hugs. Ember and Spike were laughing until their sides hurt at the sight of Garble hugging other dragons!

"Well, nice meeting you, Ember." Spike said. "Would you mind giving me a lift to my friends?"

"No problem." Ember smiled. "What are friends for?" And she happily flew Spike over to Burst and Ace. The trio instantly discussing the events that had transpired while Ember made her position of Dragon Lord known to all the dragons. Torch himself smiling proudly at his daughter.

"So that's what happened." Spike informed his friends. "Guess that wraps things up here nicely, right?"

"Not completely." Arctic Ace objected. "I still have no idea why my Duelist Arms are still glowing. From what I can see, there's nothing related to the legendary dragons at the competition grounds."

"I believe I can be of assistance." Cosmos said as he lumbered towards the trio. "I shall take you all to where the souls within the weapons wish to go. Climb atop my back, please."

"You don't have to do that for us." Burst protested.

"But I insist." Cosmos countered. "It is the least I can do for the heir of Bahamut."

"Well, okay then."

And so, the trio boarded Cosmos' back. Soon arriving at what looked to be a trio of crystal statues of dragons. One green, one red, and another was blue. The statues seemed to be positioned back-to-back, and were humanoid like Cosmos! Ace in particular was intrigued by how the statues seemed to resonate in proximity to his weapons.

"This is the place. . . " Ace said in awe as his Duelist Arms glowed brighter than ever! Suddenly, three dragon-like projections shot out from Ace's Duelist Arms! "WHOA!"

Each of the spirits came from one of Ace's Duelist Arms, and entered the crystal dragon statues before the trio and Cosmos! The statues began to crack, and stir from within before breaking apart to reveal the dragons that were sealed within! Each dragon seemed to be clad in armor coordinated with their color!

"FREE!" The three dragons roared as they rejoiced in their liberation! They then turned their attention to Ace.

"You have our thanks for freeing us, Arctic Ace." The green dragon with a scar over one of his eyes said with a slight bow. "It has been an honor fighting alongside you."

"Thank you." Ace said with a nod. "So you three have been inside my weapons this whole time?"

"Indeed." The green dragon answered. "Allow us to introduce ourselves. I am called Timaeus."

"Name's Hermos!" The red dragon announced heartily! Hefting a hammer over his shoulder! "And it's been a pleasure seeing my handiwork in action! Ah, they perform even better than I thought! Pity that the ones you were using won't be much good now."

"I am called Critias." The dark grey dragon greeted. "You are quite the strategist. Much like myself."

"We are the three dragon knights sworn to serve under Bahamut." Timaeus declared proudly. He then immediately bowed when he saw Cosmos standing behind the trio of heroes with Spectrum and Kiryu soon arriving. "Lord Cosmos! Lord Spectrum! Lord Kiryu! It is a privilege to be in your presence! Tell me, what brings you here?"

"Calm yourselves." Kiryu said in a cool tone. "We have come here to present you the their to Bahamut's power." The mechanical dragon gestured at Burst Stream with his head. "This is Burst Stream. The one to whom Bahamut passed his power onto."

"That explains why I can feel Bahamut's power coming from him." Critias mused.

"Excuse me, Hermos?" Ace asked the dragon knight. "You said that my weapons would no longer work. Is this what you meant?" Ace showed his old Duelist Arms to Hermos. They had turned dull and grey.

"Aye." Hermos nodded sadly. "While not all Duelist Arms possess the spirits of powerful creatures, the ones that do usually contain the spirits of those that were passed on, or on the verge of doing so. But in me and my friends' case, our spirits were ripped from our bodies."

"Hey, didn't you mention something about your handiwork in action?" Spike asked. "I thought Starswirl made the-"

"STARSWIRL?!" Hermos roared as he brandished his hammer! Ready to smash anything in his way! "WHERE IS HE?! WHERE IS THAT BEARDED RAT?! I'LL HANG HIM BY HIS BEARD OVER MY FORGE!"

"Hermos, my friend! Calm yourself!" Timaeus cautioned! "Aether freed us from his clutches while our souls were imprisoned within the Duelist Arms."

"For the betterment of us all, I'd say." Critias muttered. "Especially considering the original purpose Starswirl had intended for your creations, Hermos."

"Forgive my temper, my friends." Hermos sighed before turning his attention to the trio of heroes. "To answer your question, it was not Starswirl the Bearded bastard who created the Duelist Arms. It was I. He merely commissioned them while I actually forged them. But when I finished the set, he stabbed me in the back by ripping our souls from our bodies and sealing them within the weapons wielded by Ace! The traitorous bearded rat wanted to originally use the Duelist Arms to kill the sirens that had been causing strife. Though I'm pleased to say, it's a purpose that was never fulfilled thanks to Aether intervening."

"So. . . would you be mad if I somehow altered two of the Duelist Arms you created?" Burst asked as he presented his new weapon. "Because the previous forms of the sword and the blaster were destroyed when Bahamut's soul contracted with me and forged this new weapon."

"HA HA HA HA!" Hermos bellowed with laughter! "Lad, that's part of a built-in feature I added to the Duelist Arms! Whenever the wielder undergoes a strong form of personal growth, the Duelist Arm evolves in power to reflect that growth! Do you know where the rest are? I'm dying to see how some of my beauties have turned out!" He grinned down at the trio. "Not every power-up will drastically alter the Duelist Arm's appearance. Sometimes it might be as simple as a new function added!"

"It would be nice to stretch our wings for a bit." Critias added. "I'm eager to see what the humans have come up with since our entrapment in crystal."

"We'd be happy to show you." Spike smiled.

"Tell me, is there any way to restore my old weapons?" Ace asked Hermos.

"Ha! I'll do you one better!" Hermos chuckled. "I'll forge you a new Duelist Arm right after I see how the others have faired over the years!"

"We'd best hurry." Timaeus stated. "Hermos gets a bit excited when he gets to use his forge." And so, the trio of heroes and trio of dragon knights set off for Unityville. Spike received a particularly warm welcome from Sweetie Belle as she nearly tackled the young dragon in a hug!

'Maybe I didn't win the competition.' Spike thought with a warm smile as he hugged Sweetie Belle. 'But I feel like I've won because I was able to protect her.'