• Published 4th Jul 2019
  • 9,991 Views, 232 Comments

Romantic Meetings - TheHardie-Boy



Local human returns to Ponyville to find Twilight has a new student

  • ...
38
 232
 9,991

The confession

“S-Starlight! I-I wasn’t expecting to see you here,” I said, trying to hide my blush.

“That’s alright. I...usually come here if I feel overwhelmed and I need some time to myself,” she responded, rubbing her hooves together in a nervous fashion.

“S-Same here,” I said.

We both stood there in silence for an awkward amount of time. I tried thinking of something to say, but my mind went blank.

What did Rarity say to do?

’Spend some time with her. Get to know her and make her feel special.’

Well, I’m spending time with her. How do I make her feel “special”?

“Umm...I-I like your mane,” I tried.

She blushed furiously, and her eyes became pinpricks. “T-Thanks. I...try to make it look nice.” She followed up with some nervous laughter.

“So...what brings you out here today?” I forced myself to ask.

“Nothing...in particular. Sorry for making you trip...again.”

I realized I was still on the ground from earlier.

“Let me help you up,” she offered.

I half-ignored her and started to get up myself. She still came over to me and put a hoof on my shoulder. I looked up, and my face was mere inches from her muzzle.

I froze, so did she. I could feel my legs quivering and threatening to give out again. I quickly stood up, but she still had her hoof on my shoulder, so I accidentally turned her over onto her flank. She gave a cute little squeak as she hit the ground. I couldn’t help but blush at the adorable sight.

I knelt down and helped her up, and she smiled bashfully and looked away.

It was now or never.

“H-Hey, Starlight? There’s something I should-“

I was interrupted by a loud roar. I covered my ears and winced. When the roar ended, it was replaced by a low growl.

I looked over, expecting to see a timberwolf, but what I saw was even worse. It was a manticore.


For the second time that day, Rarity heard a knock at her door.

“Another guest, who could it be this time,” Rarity mused to herself.

She opened the door to see Twilight standing there with a sheepish smile.

“Twilight, how are you today?” Rarity asked.

“Fine, Rarity. I could use some advice though,” Twilight answered.

Rarity smiled and rolled her eyes. “Come in.”

Twilight walked in and took a seat on Rarity’s smaller couch, so Rarity would have her fainting sofa at the ready if she needed it.

“So, Twilight, I’m assuming it’s romantic advice you need,” Rarity assumed.

Twilight sat straight up with a shocked look on her face. “How did you-“

“Oh please, darling, you know I have a keen eye for these sorts of things,” Rarity interrupted.

Twilight chuckled. “Right, so anyhow, I have...this crush, and he just means so much to me-“

“Let me guess: it’s Jake,” Rarity interrupted again.

Twilight rolled her eyes. “Okay, how did you know that?”

“I’ll give you the same answer as before. I have a keen eye for these sorts of things,” Rarity responded.

Twilight sighed. “Okay, yes, it’s Jake. I’ve had feelings for him for a long time now, but you probably already know that. Anyhow, with him being back in town and all, I really feel like I need to tell him.”

Rarity rubbed her chin. “I see, but what exactly is stopping you?”

Twilight bit her lip. “I...I don’t know what he’ll think of me if I tell him.”

Rarity put her hoof up to her mouth to stifle a laugh. “Twilight, we both know that Jake isn’t one to judge ponies on their likings, let alone you.”

“I guess you’re right. But what if he doesn’t think he can love ponies?”

Rarity scoffed. “Oh, let’s just say I have personal assurance that he does.”

Twilight became suspicious. “What do you mean by that?”

“I guess I may as well tell you. He came here earlier for romantic advice as well. He said he believed had a crush on a pony, and I wouldn’t be surprised if it were you,” Rarity explained.

Twilight’s face lit up like a candle. “Really? Jake might have feelings for me too?”

“Well, I wouldn’t get too ahead of myself. Either way, you should have a talk with him and tell him how you feel. Even if he doesn’t like you, you’d be on his radar.”

“Right. Thanks, Rarity,” Twilight said, leaving the boutique.

“I should start giving romantic advice as a side job,” Rarity said to herself.


I grabbed onto Starlight’s hoof and didn’t waste another second standing there. I bolted with Starlight and never looked back. We ran around a few trees until we were positive we lost it.

I knelt down to face Starlight. She didn’t seem to be hurt in any way. Regardless, I asked, “Are you alright?”

She panted a little before she responded, “Y-Yeah, a little shaken up though. That thing came out of nowhere.”

I looked back to where the manticore was chasing us. “I know right. I’ve never seen one up close like that.”

Also out of nowhere, Starlight seemed to blush. “T-Thanks...for not leaving me there. Most stallions I know would leave me behind without a second thought.”

My brow furrowed. “Are you kidding?! I would never leave you in a situation like that. Why would I ever?”

“I know you wouldn’t. That’s what makes you special,” she said, still blushing.

I blushed as well upon hearing that. She thought I was special?

Now was my chance.

“Starlight, I-“

I was once again interrupted by the manticore, who peered its head around the tree we were hiding behind.

I let out a groan and took Starlight’s hoof again. We started running again, but this time, the manticore kept up. I turned around tree after tree until I felt my grip on Starlight’s hoof let go. I looked back to see Starlight had one of her hind legs caught between some roots. I ran back to help her, but the manticore lunged at me.

Luckily, I ducked out of the way and got Starlight unstuck.

Starlight fired off a spell that dazed the manticore, giving us time to get our bearings. The tail was waving around furiously, trying to find a target. Eventually, it tripped Starlight onto her flank. The manticore turned its full attention to Starlight, who was trying to back away. It slowly crept up on her until I threw a rock at its head.

The manticore swung its tail at me, causing me to trip, and turned back to Starlight. Starlight fired another spell to temporarily blind the manticore and ran over to me.

“Let’s get out of here,” she said before getting hit by the tail again and sent flying into a tree. She slumped to the ground, unconscious. I ran over to her, and she didn’t seem to be moving. I was filled with anger. I grabbed a large, nearby stick and charged back at the manticore.

The manticore was still blinded, so I didn’t have to worry about getting eaten. I started wailing on the manticore with the stick, making it flinch with every strike. Eventually, it ran off.

“You’d better not come back!” I yelled. I turned away and saw Starlight, still unconscious. I ran over to her and knelt down.

“Starlight! Wake up! You have to wake up!” I briefly checked her pulse, but I couldn’t look for long because I was worried about another attack.

I held her close. This couldn’t be happening. No, not now. No way. I was not letting her go that easily.

I picked her up and ran as fast as I could to the castle, not caring if anyone saw me. I bolted inside and ran past Spike.

“Sorry!” I yelled back without stopping.

I finally found her room and got in. I laid her down on the bed and put my finger up to her neck once again, this time taking my time.

My heart sank when I didn’t find anything.

“Why? Why did it have to be you? It should have been me,” I bawled.

“What happened?!” I heard a voice behind me ask.

I wiped my eyes and looked back to see Twilight, standing in the door with a concerned look on her face.

“W-We were in t-the Everfree Forest, a-and there was a manticore, a-and I tried t-to...” I couldn’t go on.

Twilight wrapped her hooves and wings around me as I calmed down.

“It’s okay, it’s not your fault. I’m sure you did all you could,” Twilight assured me.

“No, it’s not okay. I-I looked as hard as I could...I-I couldn’t f-find a pulse,” I told her.

Twilight let go of me and looked me in the eyes. “What do you mean ‘you looked as hard as you could’?”

“I-I put my fingers up to her neck vein, I-I couldn’t feel anything.”

“Well, she’s unconscious, so it would be weird if you did find anything.”

“What!?”

“Ponies’ pulses tend to drastically weaken whenever they go unconscious. So much so, that they wouldn’t even be able to be found without medical magic,” she explained to me.

“Are you serious? Does that mean you would be able to find her pulse?” I asked desperately.

“Well...I don’t know much about medical magic...but I guess it’s worth a shot,” Twilight said. She walked to the side of the bed and lit her horn. She hovered it over Starlight’s body. After a moment of scanning, Twilight’s horn fizzled out.

“Well?”

“She’s gonna be fine. She’s a little bruised, but I found a heartbeat and she should wake up in a few hours,” Twilight assured me.

I didn’t need to hear another word. I wrapped my arms around Twilight in a big hug. I could feel her body stiffen as I hugged her.

“Thank you...so much,” I whispered in her ear.

She shook a little. “N-No problem.”

I let her go, and I saw she had a nervous smile on her face. I also could’ve sworn she was blushing.

“I-I should go. Or we should go! I-I mean, w-we should...let her get some rest...heh-heh,” she said sheepishly.

I looked back at Starlight, who showed no sign of waking up any time soon.

“No, I-I’m...I’m gonna stay with her until she wakes up,” I responded.

Twilight’s expression sank. “What? W-Why?”

“Because I was with her when she got hurt. I would never forgive myself if something happened,” I explained.

“I-I understand, b-but you staying with her isn’t gonna make her wake up any sooner,” Twilight insisted.

“I don’t care. I’m not leaving her side until she wakes up.”

Twilight dipped her head a little bit. “A-Alright then. Just tell me if you need anything.” She sounded like she was on the verge of crying.

“Twilight, what’s wrong?” I asked.

“N-Nothing. Nothing at all.” With that, she dashed out of the room.


Twilight ran to her room as fast as she could. She knew her tears were gonna start running free any second now, but she wouldn’t let anyone see it.

Once she made it to her room, she slammed the door and dove for her bed. She let the tears run and started crying, hoping Spike wouldn’t hear her.

“I’m too late. Jake does have feelings for Starlight. And now it wouldn’t make any difference whether he knew how I felt or not,” she sobbed to herself.

She lay there for what seemed like hours, crying and self-pitying.

“No! One way or another, Jake will know how I feel, even if it is too late for him to love me back,” Twilight told herself. She got up, only to feel completely drowsy. She looked out her window to see the moon in the sky. She had been in her room, crying almost all day!

“No, not...now,” she said, as sleep enveloped her against her will.


I sat at Starlight’s bedside for hours. Spike had checked on us every once in a while to see if she was okay, but thankfully left us alone mostly.

I knew she would wake up, but that didn’t ease my dread. And even though I knew this whole thing wasn’t my fault, I still felt partially responsible.

The sun had set by now, and it was getting cold. I tucked Starlight under her blanket, and held her hoof in an attempt to keep her warm.

Then the worst possible thing that could happen happened: I began to get tired. I couldn’t let myself fall asleep, not until Starlight was awake. I felt my eyelids becoming heavy, and it was hard to keep them open.

“Jake?”

My eyes shot open to see Starlight was finally awake. Any drowsiness I had felt was instantly gone. I scooped her up in a hug. I could feel my face heating up, but now wasn’t the time to care.

“I’m so glad you’re okay,” I told her.

“W-What h-happened?” Starlight asked.

I moved to face her. She looked pretty shocked. “The manticore knocked you out. I chased it away and brought you back here. How are you feeling?” I prodded.

“F-Fine, I guess. How long was I out?”

“Since we got back. It’s nighttime now, so almost all day,” I answered.

“Wow, where’re Twilight and Spike? Do they know what happened?”

“I’m pretty sure they’re asleep. Spike’s been around every now and then to check on you, but I haven’t seen Twilight in a while,” I explained.

“Wait, w-were you here t-the whole time?”

I blushed as I realized just what I had done. “Y-Yeah, I-I couldn’t live with myself if...if...something...you know.”

Starlight’s face went redder than I had ever seen yet, and I felt like my own face was gonna explode.

“I-I guess I should go. G-Goodnight,” I said, getting up.

“Wait,” Starlight said, holding my hand in her front hooves. “Don’t go.”

“What?” Somehow, my face got even hotter.

“D-Don’t leave. I-I want you to stay...w-with me. I f-feel...safe with you here. Please?”

I slowly sat down at the foot of her bed. “A-Are you s-sure?”

She nodded. “Please,” she said again. She looked at me with worried eyes.

I couldn’t have said “no” if I wanted to. “A-Alright, if you want.” I could feel my body shaking as I moved under the covers and lay down. I clutched my arm nervously.

We both lay there, a few inches apart, in complete silence. I was still shaking and couldn’t look at Starlight.

Suddenly, she scooted a lot closer to me, right up next to me even. She took my arm in her hooves, and I nearly exploded right there.

“C-Could you...c-cuddle me?”

“What?!” I asked, nearly yelling.

She let go of my arm and scooted back away. I could almost see tears in her eyes. “S-Sorry.”

My heart punched me in the face. What was I doing? This very well might have been my only chance to do something like this with Starlight.

I rolled over to face her and put my hand on her. She stopped moving and looked over at me. I smiled and pulled her back. I put one arm under her body and ran it down to the middle of her back. I rested my other arm over her and did my best to embrace her in the position I was in.

She nuzzled under my chin and buried her muzzle in my chest. She brought her hooves up to my lower chest. Starlight felt warm and soft. I played with her mane just a little, making her giggle. I moved my head down, right next to her horn. Her mane was really soft against my face, and it even smelled sweet, like cherries.

Slowly, but happily, I drifted off to sleep.


“AAHH!”

I shot awake due to a scream. I sat up and saw Starlight next to me, sitting up as well and panting.

“Starlight, are you alright? What’s wrong?” I asked.

She took one look at me before quickly wrapping her hooves around me and breaking into a cry.

“I-I had a nightmare...you were *sniffle* k-killed by that manticore,” she sobbed.

I stroked her mane slowly. “Shh, shh, it’s okay. Just let it out. I’m here, and I’m not going anywhere.”

She sobbed for a minute into my chest. “I-I just couldn’t bear it i-if s-something happens to y-you.”

“It’s fine. Nothing’s gonna happen to me. Just let it out,” I cooed.

Starlight spent another few minutes bawling while I comforted her by stroking her mane and telling her, “I’m here,” much like one would to a child.

She seemed to calm down after a while and looked at me, still sniffling a little. “T-Thank you.” She had the cutest smile on her face I had seen yet. I couldn’t resist smiling back.

“What are friends for?” I asked sarcastically.

She broke her smile and looked at me with shining, pleading eyes. “Jake, I don’t wanna be friends anymore,” she said really quickly.

Just like that, my smile fell, and I was on the verge of tears myself. “W-What?”

“I didn’t mean it like that, I promise! I-I meant...I wanna be more than just friends!” she said even faster.

My heart caught fire. “Y-You mean-?”

“Yes, please, I-I want to be with you...I-I love you,” she said, her breathing faltering non-stop, and her eyes clenched shut.

I took a second to go through all she had just said. Then, I took action.

I put a hand under her chin and lifted it a little. She opened her eyes again. They were shining beautifully.

Then, I finally did it. I leaned forward and kissed her, wrapping my arms around her in the process.

When I broke it, she was panting, her eyes wide as dinner plates. “D-Does that mean-?”

“Yes, I want to be with you too. I wouldn’t have it any other way.”

Just like that, we hugged again. I could feel her smile as mine grew as well. There just weren’t words to describe how happy I was.

“I love you too, Starlight Glimmer,” I whispered in her ear.

We stayed there for a while, not moving an inch. I realized then how late it really was.

“Heh, guess we should try to get some sleep,” I suggested.

Starlight gave a small laugh as well. “Y-Yeah, good idea.”

We lay back down, her muzzle tucked into my chest, and my arms wrapped around her. I kissed her below the base of her horn and held it for a while before drifting back off to sleep.