• Published 14th May 2019
  • 2,383 Views, 1,551 Comments

Unshaken - The 24th Pegasus



The age of gunslingers is coming to an end. As the law closes in on outlaws across the Equestrian southwest, Kestrel must find a way to help her wanted gang of misfits escape or die trying. [A CYOA Story]

  • ...
6
 1,551
 2,383

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 89

Surrogate Sisters: 17 Votes

Silver Wings is no longer a romanceable character.

After what felt like an eternity to think things over, Kestrel finally closed her eyes after making a decision and coming to peace with it. Chasing Silver Wings, a younger mare who thought the world of her and wanted to be just like her, wasn’t a realistic option. It was obvious Silvie saw her as a sister, and at the end of the day, Kestrel didn’t know if she could live with herself if she ruined that relationship because she was trying to fill that void in her heart. There was room for sisterly love in there too, and with Silver, that was all she’d be able to get.

Still, as Kestrel pulled the brim of her hat further down over her face, her lips drooped into a slight frown. As much as she hated to admit it, the loneliness was starting to get the better of her, especially now that the Gang was flirting more and more with death. It seemed like everywhere she looked, especially as of late, she could see the shadow of Death looming over them, and catch glimpses of His pale hoof out of the corner of her eye. It would be nice to have somepony to commiserate with in that more than just friendly fireside chats, but perhaps opening that can of worms was more trouble than it was worth, especially with all the baggage that would be left behind at the foot of the gallows.

Now she deeply regretted not taking the chance to talk with Highball back in Rock Ridge. Seeing him on the train, albeit briefly before her injuries stole her consciousness from her, had sliced open an old wound she thought had long since scarred over. A little bit of additional closure would have been nice, but the time for that had long-since passed.

Kestrel grumbled to herself as she let out a wide yawn. She was one of Equestria’s most wanted outlaws, a dangerous mare who could take anything she wanted by force, and she couldn’t even steal somepony’s heart to hold and cherish until the end of her days. There was a bitter irony in that somewhere, she was sure, but it would take a smarter pony than her to find it.

She wasn’t sure when exactly she dozed off, not that she was trying to keep track of it anyway. But with the sun overhead broken up here and there by clouds, and with a breeze coming off of the small lake, the weather was plenty comfortable for the outlaw to get some much needed rest. When she woke up next, the sun had traveled many degrees through the sky, and her coat had just started to get that warm, tingly feeling that precedes sweat. Yawning again, the mare rolled on her back, her legs pointed up to the sky and wings outstretched by her sides, and worked some of the stiffness out of her joints that her impromptu nap had worked into them. She was already feeling better; a nap had been much needed, it turned out.

She lingered a few moments more before she finally worked up the willpower to rise to her hooves. Dry grass clung to her clothing and mane, and she did her best to brush it out with her feathers before returning to the camp. She could hear the Gang’s voices filtering through the trees and across the lake, punctuated here and there by a bark of harsh laughter. Kestrel shook her head as she leisurely walked around the edge of the lake. It was a good thing they weren’t taking Roughshod to the conference; the stallion was nothing if not loud and boisterous, the last thing a pony would want for a discreet job.

When she returned to the camp, she saw Miss Irons and Wanderer working together to prepare supper, as they often did, while the rest of the gang had gathered around or near the campfire. Tumbleweed stood in the middle of them all, explaining the plan that he, Starlight, and Kestrel had put together earlier that afternoon, with a little input from Silver. The unicorn had sketched out an extremely simplistic map of the town in the dirt with a stick, and tapped the tip between different locations as he went over the plan as it currently stood.

“Now, while me and Kessie, Silvie, and Wanderer handle the job at the conference, we need another team to draw away the Pinks,” Tumbleweed said. The tip of the stick in his magical grasp tapped a square marked inside of the city limits. “Kessie went and found a hotel that we think the Pinks are stayin’ at yesterday. At the very least, somethin’ was bein’ moved into that hotel under their supervision, so it’s likely important to ‘em. That’s why we need to cause as big of a ruckus as possible there, to draw their attention away from the conference. If the Pinks know we’re up to somethin’ in town, my bet is that they thin out security around the conference to come after us. The Pinks hate us sure as we hate them, and the prize of catching Equestria’s most wanted outlaw gang might be enough to make them forget about the Apple Family’s purse for a moment. And a moment is all we need.”

Then he took the stick and pointed it at Roughshod and Snapshot, who were sitting side by side, and Trixie, who sat a little further away. “Now, Kessie and me talked it over with Starlight, and you three are the best ponies we could come up with for causin’ the distraction,” he continued. “We’re gonna need loud, and we’re gonna need flashy. I’m sure Rough and Trixie, you two can handle that. Snapshot, you need to get on a rooftop somewhere nearby and give them some cover when the shootin’ inevitably starts. It’ll be up to you to be their eye in the sky and keep ‘em safe.”

“Beatin’ up the Pinks?” Roughshod rubbed his hooves together and grinned. “Oh hell, I been waitin’ a long time to take a few shots back at ‘em. We owe ‘em some payback for chasin’ us across the San Palomino.”

Trixie seemed a fair deal less gung ho, to put it mildly. “You want Trixie to be target practice for the professional bounty hunters out trying to kill us?” she said, somewhat incredulously.

“Why not?” Tumbleweed said, smirking at her. “You don’t think the Great and Powerful Trixie is up to the task?”

Trixie flustered, her concerns caught in a clash with her ego, and neither all that willing to back down. “Trixie… is always up to any task,” the mare boasted, her ego finally triumphing over her hesitations. “So long as that task doesn’t involve ponies shooting at Trixie too much.”

“Well, I’m sure between the three of you and Starlight’s three friends, you’ll be able to figure somethin’ out,” Tumbleweed assured her. He gestured back at her colorful purple wagon. “Besides, the distraction doesn’t have to immediately devolve into gunslingin’. A performance by the Great and Powerful Trixie might be enough to get a crowd into position to kick things off.”

“Might even be able to stage a robbery of your show and your crowd,” Roughshod said, grinning at Trixie. Kestrel shook her head and rubbed her feathers to her brow when she realized that Roughshod’s expression was genuine, not predatory or hawkish like it usually was. It looked like Miss Irons was two for two on who like who in the Gang. “It’ll be a fun little song and dance between us.”

Trixie fidgeted in place, and Kestrel thought she saw a shiver run down the magician’s spine, but she wasn’t sure. “That… sounds like an excellent idea,” Trixie ultimately conceded.

“I got a question, though,” Silver asked, interjecting her voice into the conversation. “We got a Chatter gun, and we know there’s gonna be Pinks everywhere. Seems a shame to not use it. So who should get it? The distraction team, or the conference team? Could be a lifesaver to either one.”

“A good question,” Tumbleweed said, nodding as he pondered it. Then he looked to Kestrel, who up until this point had been hovering along the edge of the conversation. “What do you think, Kessie? Got some good ideas fresh from your nap?”

1. The conference team should have the Chatter gun. We’re gonna be the ones takin’ the score and fleein’ with it, so we’ll need a way to defend ourselves from anypony comin’ after us. We’d get the most use out of the Chatter gun than anypony else.

2. The distraction team should have the Chatter gun. Rough, Trixie, and Snapshot are gonna be bringin’ down the house on themselves. If they get the Pinks’ attention and get it good, then they’ll need all the help they can get to get outta Hoofston alive.

3. Leave the Chatter gun at the camp. This could very well turn into a run-for-your-lives situation, in which case the Chatter gun would only slow us down. Best to leave it at the camp for defense rather than risk losin’ it durin’ this job.

Author's Note:

Please comment your decision down below. Only comments expressly stating your choice will be considered. You cannot vote for multiple choices. Polling will be considered closed after a few days and a sufficient number of comments.

This story is a CYOA comment-driven story, where you, the readers, decide the outcome of the story. Each poll contains several options, each with sub-optimal choices thrown into the mix, with nothing but the prose to clue the readers into what each option entails. The will of the masses, alongside a few unbiased dice rolls, will decide the outcome of the story.

You can find Kestrel's character sheet, along with some key information about her and the Gang, here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1xAGDlcd5mlMTAHwexlsrXOffQMMLoQc12u9itAa-io0/edit?usp=sharing

If you want to see the dice rolls in action, check out my Discord server: https://discord.gg/RsVkdD

PreviousChapters Next