• Published 14th May 2019
  • 2,382 Views, 1,551 Comments

Unshaken - The 24th Pegasus



The age of gunslingers is coming to an end. As the law closes in on outlaws across the Equestrian southwest, Kestrel must find a way to help her wanted gang of misfits escape or die trying. [A CYOA Story]

  • ...
6
 1,551
 2,382

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 30

Payroll and Weapons: 42%

“We ain’t got the time to empty the thing out,” Silver said. “And if this Rainbow Dash is as fast as Highball says she is, then we might barely have the time to grab the payroll and run. But we can’t leave those guns behind.”

Tumbleweed nodded and looked back at the armored car. “A Chatter gun could be a mighty fine addition to our camp,” he agreed. “So long as the ammunition lasts.”

“We’re raidin’ from the Army,” Roughshod said. “Ammunition to last ain’t gonna be too much of a problem.”

“Then let’s get to it,” Tumbleweed said. “The sooner we get the wagons loaded up and movin’, the better. Don’t want this officer to come back and catch us unawares.”

“I’ll stay with Kestrel,” Highball said, looking over his former love. “Make sure she doesn’t get any worse.”

Tumbleweed slowly nodded at that. “I hate to be robbin’ from you, Highball. You’re a good stallion. I hope we can still trust each other after all these years apart.”

“You can,” Highball said, his gaze meeting Tumbleweed’s and lingering there.

Roughshod spat into the dirt. “Ain’t nopony we can trust but each other,” he warned Tumbleweed. “I’d blow him away and be done with it.”

“You are gonna go start disassemblin’ those Chatter guns and gettin’ them out of the car,” Tumbleweed said, gesturing over his shoulder. “Get Snapshot to help when he arrives with the wagons. His magic will be useful. Silvie and I will take care of payroll.”

Though Roughshod scowled at Highball, he nevertheless backed off and began to move down the train cars to the imposing armored carriage in the middle. Tumbleweed waited until he was out of earshot before he raised an eyebrow at Highball. “Stay put, and no funny business. It’s been a while, friend, but it’s only our past keepin’ us on good terms right now. I hope you understand.”

Highball took a deep breath. “I do.”

“Good.” Tumbleweed turned around and began to walk away from the engine. “Come on, Silvie. Let’s take a look at what we got.”

Silver nodded and immediately began to follow, only sparing a last look at Kestrel and Highball before catching up to Tumbleweed. “The payroll car’s this one,” she said, leading him over to the second to last car on the train. Highball hopped up to the door from the ground, forcing it open with his magic, and stepped inside the covered car. Silver followed him in, and her eyes widened some at the crates lining the walls inside.

“The payroll’s probably in bags inside these crates,” Tumbleweed said, moving toward the first. “Let’s open ‘em up.”

It was sweaty, backbreaking work to go pull the crates off of their stacks and force them open with a knife, but every time Silver opened up a box, a few burlap sacks spilling gold would be ready to greet her and motivate her to move onto the next one. Even Tumbleweed was in good spirits, and he slowly began to chuckle and mutter “Well I’ll be,” over and over again as they tore the car apart. When they finally pried open all the crates and laid the sacks out in front of them, Silver could only stare in awe at what they’d accomplished.

How many bags of payroll are in the car? 34

“There’s so many bits,” Silver muttered softly to herself.

“The Army packs a thousand bits to a bag,” Tumbleweed said. “We’re looking at thirty-four thousand bits right here.”

“It’s like the Appleloosa train all over again,” Silver said.

“We got closer to fifty thousand on that take,” Tumbleweed said. He laughed and shook his head in disbelief and excitement. “Trains always do us good, Silvie! Maybe we should just stick to robbin’ them from now on!”

“You owe Kessie and me a bottle of the best whiskey money can buy—each!”

“With thirty-four thousand bits, that ain’t gonna be too hard to manage,” Tumbleweed said. Still, he grabbed Silver with his magic and gave her an excited embrace. “You two mares might just have saved our hides with this score! We get this back to camp, we can live like royalty again!”

“Let’s just hope this time we don’t get the Pinks on us to ruin all the fun,” Silver said, her excitement deflating somewhat as she realized just how eerily familiar the situation that they now found themselves in was. “We didn’t have all that long after the Appleloosa train before we had to run again.”

“That was because of that hotel,” Tumbleweed said. “We ain’t gonna make the same mistake again.” He grabbed two bags of bits in his magic and moved for the door. “C’mon, Silvie. Grab some bags and let’s get goin’! We ain’t got all day!”

Silver hurriedly snatched a bag in her teeth and slung it over her shoulders, balancing it between outstretched wings, and picked up another one in her mouth before following Tumbleweed outside. Snapshot had arrived with the wagon by then, standing in the back while Trixie and Sienna panted in the hot desert sun under their harnesses. His magic lifted a Chatter gun Roughshod had pried out of the armored car and placed it in the back, while Tumbleweed dropped the first two bags into the flat back. Silver tossed hers in as well, and Trixie only groaned as the Gang began to pile the wagon full of their loot.

“When Trixie learned she was joining a band of outlaws and renegades, she did not expect to be used as a pack mule,” she muttered, glaring sideways at Silver as she dropped her bags into the wagon as well.

Silver scoffed and rolled her eyes. “Maybe if you didn’t screw up the dynamite,” she retorted. “Kessie and me had to get this thing the hard way, and she almost died because of you.”

“Trixie has never used her fireworks to derail a train before!” Trixie protested. “You can hardly blame her for this!”

“Yeah. ‘Hardly.’ Sure.” Silver turned around and went back to the payroll car to grab another two bags. “Better learn fast. Don’t want you draggin’ us down, Hoofdini. Pinks find us, you gonna lose your head ‘long with the rest of us.”

Though Trixie fumed at the retort, she kept her mouth shut, and didn’t open it again while the rest of the wagon was loaded up. Soon, the Gang had piled together everything they felt comfortable taking from the train: the payroll, a Chatter gun and four hundred rounds of ammunition for it, along with the scoped rifles Silver had discovered when she first started searching the train for medicine. Lastly, Tumbleweed gingerly placed Kestrel in the back of the wagon, and though the injured mare stirred, she did not wake up.

That just left the matter of what to do with the train and its driver.

Highball watched the Gang strip away the loot he was entrusted to deliver to Rock Ridge without saying a word, but the silence would never last. When they finally loaded the wagon, he cleared his throat. “What will you do now, Tumbleweed?”

Tumbleweed worked his jaw from side to side, his unwavering gaze fixated on Highball and the engine behind him. “Now, I will take my ponies back to our camp,” he told him. “We’ll count out our bits and plot our next move from there. I apologize, but I’m not willing to divulge our plans with somepony the Law will want to talk to today.”

“I see.” Highball’s eyes wandered to the Gang’s guns. “Am I good to go, then?”

Silver looked to Tumbleweed, wondering just how the stallion would pay back his old friend and new liability.

1. Let him run off. It’s too dangerous to bring him back with us, and he might stand a better chance when the Law gets ahold of him if he makes it to Rock Ridge on hoof. He can say he ran off when we attacked the train, not that he worked with us for his life.

2. Send him back with the train. He’ll get to Rock Ridge in one piece, that’s for sure, but he’s gonna have to explain his way outta that one. He might get caught in the crossfire ‘tween us and the Law for it.

3. Tell him to wait with the train. The Law’ll be back out here soon enough, and they’ll find him here. It’s about as natural it gets with a holdup like this, though if them Vipers happen to be around and they see a stopped train in the desert, he might find himself under fire ‘fore too long.

4. Kill him. Sorry, Highball, ol’ friend, but we can’t afford no more witnesses.

(Confidence Required: 40 Votes)

Author's Note:

Took a while to get this chapter out because of Bronycon and such, but now we're finally back! Also, I take a picture of the poll results and post it in the discord whenever I call a vote decided, which is why the winner and percentages are sometimes different than if you were to look at the poll results right before I post the chapter, as people can keep voting after I've already decided the outcome. That was the case for this chapter, with option 5 taking the lead at the time of publishing, even though the race had been decided on option 3 when the vote quota was met.

This chapter's poll: https://www.strawpoll.me/18429774

Please use the poll for voting. You can discuss options in the comments, but I will not take anything stated there into consideration when determining the vote.

This story is a CYOA comment-driven story, where you, the readers, decide the outcome of the story. Each poll contains several options, each with sub-optimal choices thrown into the mix, with nothing but the prose to clue the readers into what each option entails. The will of the masses, alongside a few unbiased dice rolls, will decide the outcome of the story.

You can find Kestrel's character sheet, along with some key information about her and the Gang, here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1xAGDlcd5mlMTAHwexlsrXOffQMMLoQc12u9itAa-io0/edit?usp=sharing

If you want to see the dice rolls in action, check out my Discord server: https://discord.gg/RsVkdDP

PreviousChapters Next