• Published 14th May 2019
  • 2,381 Views, 1,551 Comments

Unshaken - The 24th Pegasus



The age of gunslingers is coming to an end. As the law closes in on outlaws across the Equestrian southwest, Kestrel must find a way to help her wanted gang of misfits escape or die trying. [A CYOA Story]

  • ...
6
 1,551
 2,381

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 98

Approach the conference from the east: 6 Votes

Kestrel observed the tents dotting the conference grounds from the safety of a ridgeline thick with bushes and undergrowth. She’d seen plenty of activity with ponies moving between tents here and there, and occasionally a security pony would walk the perimeter of the grounds to make sure nopony from Hoofston was trying to sneak in without buying a ticket. From her vantage point, she could spot a big tent that looked like where the wait staff organized and kept any supplies they might need throughout the conference, while a smaller tent just across the grass ‘street’ seemed to be for the security staff. A white tent with a red cross on it stood nearby, plainly marking the infirmary for anypony who might happen to get hurt at the conference. And behind it all, towering above the rest of the tents on the fairgrounds, a massive tent that reminded Kestrel of a circus tent stood, its cloth branded with apples and the words ‘APPLE CONGLOMERATES ANNUAL INNOVATION CONFERENCE – HOOFSTON’.

“Sheesh,” Silver remarked after wriggling into her wait staff uniform. “Guess their brandin’s on point.”

“Well, Starlight’s right ‘bout one thing, at least,” Kestrel said, shrugging. “The fat cats love makin’ sure everypony knows who they are and how much money they got. Guess that means there’ll be plenty of eyes on this place for her grand revolutionary statement.”

Kestrel used her hooves to adjust the collar on her pilfered security uniform, wincing as she tried to get her wings settled flat under the cloth. She wasn’t too keen on being grounded for this whole operation, though she supposed she’d have the opportunity to toss the uniform once the actual robbery began. Still, it was the price to pay for being gifted a rather unique feather and coat pattern, and she’d just have to deal with it for the time being.

“Say, you feelin’ any better?” Kestrel asked Silver. “I know that gunshot you took back in Rock Ridge had you slowed down a good bit for a while there.”

Has Silver healed since the last check? Yes

Silver Wings is no longer injured.

“Feelin’ fit as a fiddle,” Silver said, hopping from hoof to hoof as if to demonstrate it to Kestrel. “I think just bein’ bored ‘round the camp gave me plenty of time to fix myself up. Good thing, too, ‘cause we’re probably gonna get shot at a bunch, right?”

“Hopefully we ain’t,” Kestrel said, looking left and right to make sure the path to the tents was clear. “If things go off the way we want ‘em to, we’ll be good. Now c’mon, let’s get into this thing. Only got ‘bout an hour ‘fore the auction starts.”

The two mares set out from their hiding spot, uniforms as well-fitting as they could make them considering they were working with stolen outfits. Kestrel noted that Silver did a good job of concealing the rope around her midsection, making excellent use of the extra space she had between her shirt and her belly. They and the Gang had gotten about as good a preparation as they possibly could have made; now, hopefully, Lady Luck would be with them and get them through the next few hours alive and in one piece.

Silver Wings uses Lady Luck (7+1) to allow her and Kestrel to enter the conference unseen: Success

Thankfully, it seemed she was, as Kestrel let Silver take the lead and choose a path to enter into the conference. No random security patrols came their way, even though the two entered at barely more than a brisk canter, and after carefully checking around the corners of tents at intersections, the two found themselves inside of the conference proper. Then, and only then, did Kestrel let out a breath she’d been holding in since leaving their hiding place.

Music and the dull roar of chatter and laughter made the two mares’ ears twitch as they stepped into the main circular thoroughfare through the conference. Kestrel looked around, noting ponies of all the shades of the rainbow moving back and forth, stopping at tents, and sharing laughter in the middle of the trampled dirt road. There were food and games tents interspersed amongst the business tents and stalls, where ponies from many different companies all underneath the Conglomerates’ umbrella talked about their latest inventions and how they would revolutionize Equestrian society to anypony that stopped to listen. A stage set not too far away had a band entertaining a sizeable crowd with their music, though Kestrel tuned it out to focus on what the ponies around her may or may not be saying. If somepony recognized her or Silvie, hopefully she’d be able to pick up on the whispers and move to safety before actual security or, Celestia forbid, the Pinks caught up to them.

What does the Pink presence around the conference look like: 1/10 (Extremely Light)

Kestrel took a few moments to survey the surrounding stretches of conference to spot any ponies in pink suits, but thankfully didn’t see any at the moment. It was a momentary relief, but Kestrel didn’t know if she should feel relieved or not. She knew that the Pinks were providing additional security for the conference, and if she didn’t see them out mingling with the crowd or the other security staff, then that meant they had to be somewhere else.

She looked up at the large tent in the center of the conference. All she could do was pray to Celestia that the Pinks weren’t all inside of that tent. Otherwise, things would get problematic quickly.

“Pretty neat setup this place is,” Silver said, looking around. “Shame we ain’t able to come here on our own time. Bet they’ve got some great fair food.” She licked her lips and fluttered her wings. “Been so long since I last had cotton candy…”

“Maybe we’ll nab some on the way out,” Kestrel said, and she nodded toward the tent in the center of camp. “C’mon, let’s get into position. The others’ll be at the tent in a bit, so let’s regroup and get ready to start subduin’ guards.”

Silver nodded and took the lead at a brisk trot, Kestrel following close behind her as if she was just a security pony helping the wait staff out with some concern of theirs. The two weaved between tents and ropes, passing by other ponies that were actually part of the wait staff hanging out between tents. Kestrel made sure to keep her eyes forward and not make eye contact with anypony else; ponies would be more likely to recognize her if they had a time to study her face, though she doubted that many of these ponies knew of the wanted outlaw named Kestrel and even fewer would actually put the name to her face if she scooted by quickly.

The two mares made it to their meeting spot just a little bit away from the large auction tent, which had already started to allow potential bidders in early to get good seats up at the front. Rounding the corner, they saw Tumbleweed and Wanderer waiting in the shadows of another tent, and the two mares hurried closer. “Good,” Tumbleweed said when they arrived. “Was gettin’ worried ‘bout you two. Wanderer and me had no problems gettin’ in from the south.”

“No problems from the east, either,” Kestrel said. “Pink presence seems pretty low ‘round here to boot.”

“We noticed the same,” Wanderer said with a nod. “They’re likely protecting the most valuable stuff. I hope that the distraction proves successful, because otherwise we’ll have to contend with them inside of that tent.”

“Right.” Kestrel looked around and frowned. “Any sign of Starlight and her companion? I hope they ain’t havin’ trouble gettin’ here.”

“They should have been here the fastest,” Silver said. “They went in through the west gate, through the main entrance. They ain’t wanted like we are. Shoulda been easy for ‘em to slip on through.”

Were the other two teams able to get into the conference without any trouble? No

“Somethin’ must be holdin’ ‘em up,” Tumbleweed said. “But we ain’t got a whole lot of time to work with ‘fore the auction starts. ‘Bout forty-five minutes or so.”

“Do we go without ‘em?” Silvie asked. “Time’s of the essence, right?”

“We have to be careful to not move too hastily,” Wanderer cautioned. “We could go look for them, if they don’t show up in a few minutes. Doing this with anything less than full strength could be problematic.”

“So long as we can do what we gotta do, I’ll take it,” Tumbleweed said. “What ‘bout you, Kessie? Any thoughts?”

1. Continue without Starlight and Party Favor. They might be held up for a little bit, or they might’ve had to go change their approach. Regardless, we can’t sit ‘round waitin’ for ‘em all day. We gotta move now and start gettin’ this place prepped for the auction if we don’t want to miss our chance.

2. Look for Starlight and Party Favor. Doin’ this with anythin’ less than full strength could be disastrous for us. We can afford to spend some time lookin’ for the two of ‘em in case they got themselves into trouble. We just gotta hope that we don’t burn too much time in the process, else we ain’t got any chance of pullin’ this thing off.

Author's Note:

Please comment your decision down below. Only comments expressly stating your choice will be considered. You cannot vote for multiple choices. Polling will be considered closed after a few days and a sufficient number of comments.

This story is a CYOA comment-driven story, where you, the readers, decide the outcome of the story. Each poll contains several options, each with sub-optimal choices thrown into the mix, with nothing but the prose to clue the readers into what each option entails. The will of the masses, alongside a few unbiased dice rolls, will decide the outcome of the story.

You can find Kestrel's character sheet, along with some key information about her and the Gang, here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1xAGDlcd5mlMTAHwexlsrXOffQMMLoQc12u9itAa-io0/edit?usp=sharing

If you want to see the dice rolls in action, check out my Discord server: https://discord.gg/RsVkdD

PreviousChapters Next