• Published 14th May 2019
  • 2,381 Views, 1,551 Comments

Unshaken - The 24th Pegasus



The age of gunslingers is coming to an end. As the law closes in on outlaws across the Equestrian southwest, Kestrel must find a way to help her wanted gang of misfits escape or die trying. [A CYOA Story]

  • ...
6
 1,551
 2,381

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 54

Healthiness: 4 Votes

Kestrel’s maximum Healthiness has increased by 1 for a new score of 8

Kestrel didn’t know how far away Hoofston was, and she wasn’t alone in that; none of the Gang had ever been there before save Trixie and Wanderer, though Wanderer was at least thirty years removed from his last visit and Trixie had taken a roundabout way from Hoofston to Rock Ridge, so she couldn’t make any direct comparisons. But after three days of following the dusty trail heading east and occasionally checking the lone road marker or traveler heading the opposite direction, Kestrel knew they were fairly close. Probably another day’s travel at the most.

Kestrel, Tumbleweed, Roughshod, Silver Wings, and Wanderer roll to recover Healthiness: Success, Success, Success, Success, Fail

At least the journey had given the Gang some time to rest, even if they kept looking over their shoulders, expecting to see a half dozen wings of cavalry descend on them during the trip. Kestrel’s stomach wound she’d taken during the train robbery finally melted away into nothing more than a scar across her gut, and Roughshod and Tumbleweed had recovered nicely from their injuries as well. Even Silver was feeling better, to the point where she could sit in the driver’s seat on Trixie’s wagon without fear of fainting in the sun and falling off the side. It felt good to be able to hear the young mare’s voice joining in with the Gang’s conversation and jokes, and Roughshod teased her that she must be part earth pony to recover so quickly. Silver jokingly challenged him to a hoof wrestle to prove it, though given how she still winced and shivered whenever she tried getting too active, nothing came of it. She was still seriously injured, and as fast as she may have recovered from the initial shock of the wound, she still had plenty of healing left to do before she was ready to fully help out again.

That morning, Kestrel sat in the driver’s seat next to Silver, cleaning her revolvers and making sure the lever on her repeater smoothly glided through its cycle in case the Army caught up to them again. Silver had huddled herself under a blanket despite the hot sun above them, and she still shivered from time to time, but she was awake, alert, and talkative as ever. Even still, it was a surprise to Kestrel when she shifted the topic of their conversation to something else. “Do you regret not seeing Highball in Rock Ridge?”

Kestrel paused at the question, oil-soaked rag stopping along the receiver of her repeater. “He was there, weren’t he?” she finally asked.

Silver nodded. “Yeah…”

Kestrel sucked on her cheek and tucked the rag away, deciding that her weapons were clean enough for the moment. “I… s’pose,” she finally admitted. “For helpin’ to save my life with the train, if nothin’ else.”

“If nothin’ else?” Silver echoed.

The older outlaw sighed and fidgeted with her hooves. “I’unno, Silvie. Highball and me—we was gonna be married, back in the day. Life tore us apart and we went our separate ways. It’s been years now, and I don’t begrudge him for it none, but I don’t think that wound’ll ever really heal. It probably…” She sighed and shook her head, staring out to her left at where the desert sands had transitioned to rocky plains and drylands. “Forget about it. We ain’t goin’ back, so I don’t have to worry ‘bout it no more.”

Silver pursed her lips, lowered her eyes, and reluctantly bobbed her head, leaving the topic at that.

When they pulled over to the side of the road and had some quick lunch before changing wagon teams, Tumbleweed pulled Kestrel aside. “You got a minute, Kessie?” he asked her.

“Sure do, Boss,” Kestrel said, stuffing an oatcake in her mouth and hopping to her hooves. She chewed on it as she walked over to Tumbleweed, swallowed, and wiped the crumbs off of her lips. “Whatchu need?”

“A little scoutin’,” Tumbleweed said, and he gestured down the road. “We’re not too far outta Hoofston; we should be there by nightfall. That means we need a place to set up camp, someplace safe from the Law, travelers, and other gangs.”

“Yeah, the last thing we need is another gang like the Vipers on us from day one,” Kestrel agreed.

“And Hoofston’s a city, not some podunk town like Rock Ridge,” Tumbleweed said. “There’s a better chance they might recognize us ‘round these parts. There’s also more eyes comin’ and goin’, so we gotta be careful about where we set up and how we handle things. We need to make some serious cash while we’re here before the Law catches onto us again; I don’t know how much longer we can keep slippin’ away from them when the heat gets too hot.”

“We don’t exactly have a lot of places left to flee,” Kestrel said. They’d already been chased across the San Palomino by the Pinks, and though they didn’t show their faces in Rock Ridge, she could only imagine that everything they stirred up in the short time they were there had to have attracted their attention. Soon enough the Pinks would be back on their trail, and they were starting to run out of places to flee to. If they didn’t have the money they needed to get out of Equestria by then…

“We take things one step at a time,” Tumbleweed said with a firm nod. “And the next step is finding a place we can make camp at. Go take a look and come back when you’re able. We’ll go where you decide.”

“Not much pressure there, ain’t it?” Kestrel asked with a lopsided smirk.

Tumbleweed chuckled. “You found our last camp outside of Rock Ridge, and I dare say we couldn’t have picked a better spot.”

“Don’t expect me to find somethin’ that good this time around,” Kestrel said, spreading her wings. “Civilization’s a lot more bloated ‘round here.”

Then she took off, spotted wings carrying her into the sky. As the Gang below her finished lunch and prepared to move out again, Kestrel circled higher and higher until the bottoms of the clouds were right above her head. Then, catching a warm thermal with her outstretched feathers, Kestrel began to glide to the east, where she could see the city of Hoofston emerge from the horizon.

“Been a while since I been to a real city,” Kestrel murmured to herself, flapping closer. Appleloosa and Dodge Junction were really large towns at best, and Rock Ridge was hardly a town. Hoofston, though not nearly as big as the cities in Equestria’s north and east, nevertheless had a few dozen streets lined with multi-story brick and stone buildings that eventually petered out into wooden houses and residences on the roads leading in and out of town. There would be plenty of traffic and plenty of ponies there, Kestrel knew, but what golden opportunities were hidden within the city limits, she wouldn’t know until the Gang took some time to sniff around.

But right now, her focus was on finding a suitable spot for a camp. She flew in wide arcs covering many miles out ahead of the Gang, scouting out possible places from the air. After a few hours of flight, she’d narrowed down the possibilities to four, solely based on the geography of the region and the roads nearby. Any one of them would work, but of course, each location would come with its own challenges and dangers.

1. A stretch of land near a lake west of the city. There’s plenty of trees here to hide the wagons in, and the lake should be good for fishin’ and relaxin’, but we’re pretty far from roads and Hoofston itself, which would make getting into and out of town quickly a problem.

2. An abandoned ranch outside of Hoofston. Close to the city and it comes with buildin’s we can use for shelter, but we’re only a few miles outside of Hoofston’s limits. That’s both a good and a bad thing; gettin’ in and out’ll be easy, but we’re more like to attract attention, even if the roads near the ranch ain’t that often traveled.

3. A quarry to the north of the city. Ain’t likely gonna see many ponies ‘round an old quarry, and it’s close enough to the city that we can get there and back in a reasonable amount of time without bein’ too close that we’re pushin’ our luck. If we get jumped while we’re in camp, though, we’ll be stuck on the low ground with little cover, and everypony attackin’ us will be shootin’ fish in a barrel—or outlaws in a quarry, more like.

4. The hills to the south of the city. I see a nice overlook sorta like what we had near Rock Ridge that’s outta the way yet not too far from Hoofston itself. Kinda looks like an entrance to an old mine or somethin’. More concerin’, however, is that there’s smoke comin’ from it. There’s a campfire there right now… wonder whose it is?

Author's Note:

Kestrel has her first level up, and you guys chose Healthiness, which should help out a lot in the long run; the higher Kestrel's Healthiness, the more difficult it is for her to die when she gets shot. Given what our dice roller bot likes to throw at us, it will probably save her life sometime very soon.

Also, I've seen this issue popping up in the past few votes, so I feel the need to reiterate it here: when voting, you must EXPLICITLY PICK ONE CHOICE. That's one, not two, not three. If you don't explicitly state what your one and only choice is in your comment, I will ignore your comment. I've seen a lot of comments in the past few votes where people say one or another without indicating which one they're actually voting for. In that case, I am NOT counting both of your votes. I am instead IGNORING your comment. So please make it clear what your choice is if you want your vote counted.


Please comment your decision down below. Only comments expressly stating your choice will be considered. You cannot vote for multiple choices. Polling will be considered closed after a few days and a sufficient number of comments.

This story is a CYOA comment-driven story, where you, the readers, decide the outcome of the story. Each poll contains several options, each with sub-optimal choices thrown into the mix, with nothing but the prose to clue the readers into what each option entails. The will of the masses, alongside a few unbiased dice rolls, will decide the outcome of the story.

You can find Kestrel's character sheet, along with some key information about her and the Gang, here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1xAGDlcd5mlMTAHwexlsrXOffQMMLoQc12u9itAa-io0/edit?usp=sharing

If you want to see the dice rolls in action, check out my Discord server: https://discord.gg/RsVkdD

PreviousChapters Next