• Published 1st Jun 2020
  • 1,792 Views, 186 Comments

The Elements of Disharmony: A Queen's Revenge - Italibaso



The Young Six are preparing for the finals, but things quickly take a turn for the worse after a visit to the Castle of the Two Sisters

  • ...
3
 186
 1,792

2. Into the unknown

The further they descended down into the cave, the darker it got. It got to the point where Smolder had to keep breathing small bursts of fire every few seconds just so they could have an easier time seeing where they were going. From what the fire could show, they were walking through a rock tunnel passage. The walls were decorated with what seemed like small, dark crystals, which unlike the normal crystals they were used to, didn't shine whatsoever.

After a few more minutes of walking, Gallus noticed that the tunnel they've been walking through had suddenly gotten a lot smaller compared to when they first entered the hole. He kept looking around nervously as the tunnel seemed only twice as big as himself. Gallus started sweating while slowly breathing in- and out and tried his best to make his way through the tunnel as calmly as he could.

''Does anyone else get the feeling that the walls are slowly closing in on us?'' Gallus asked nervously.

''I don't think so,'' Sandbar said while looking at the walls, ''The tunnel has just gotten a little smaller, that's all.''

Smolder groaned, ''How long is this tunnel? We've been walking for five minutes now.''

''I just hope nothing bad happened to Cosette,'' Ocellus said as she looked worried at her friends, ''You all heard how loud she screamed, right?''

''Cosette!'' Silverstream suddenly shouted, ''Where are you?!''

Silverstream's voice kept echoing through the tunnel before eventually fading away. Once it got quiet again, they waited for a response, but instead they were met with utter silence. They all tried a few more times before finally giving up.

''Maybe she's just playing hide and seek with us.'' Silverstream said while giving a hopeful smile.

''In a dark, spooky underground cave?'' Smolder said, ''Yeah, I doubt that.''

Yona gulped as she walked with the others, "Yona not like dark, spooky caves."

''Try to stay calm, everyone,'' Sandbar said, ''We have to keep moving. Headmare Twilight and her friends won't be happy if we don't come back to school in time.''

They walked further through the tunnel until Smolder eventually began to notice what seemed like a small glimpse of dark purple light burning a few meters away from them.

''Look,'' Smolder said before she pointed to where the light was, ''I think I see something.''

The others stopped in their tracks, looked to where she was pointing and saw the dark purple light moving in the distance.

''Why purple light glowing in cave?'' Yona asked.

''Let's go find out. Anything is better than this narrow tunnel.'' Gallus said before he and the others walking in the direction of the light.

After half a minute of walking they reached the dark purple light. They could finally see where they were again without the help of Smolder's fire and took the time to check their surroundings.

The small tunnel they were walking through had opened up into a large, round area. The first thing that caught their attention were the many torches with purple flames hanging around on the walls. Ocellus saw them and watched how the beautiful flames on the torches kept burning. It was almost hypnotizing and she had a hard time looking away from them.

''Wow,'' Silverstream said as she flew closer to get a better look at the purple fire, ''I had no idea that fire could come in different colors.''

''I'm not even sure if that's regular fire.'' Smolder said as she flew next to Silverstream while taking a closer look at the purple fire.

''Hey, guys!'' Sandbar said, ''Come look at this.''

Smolder and Silverstream stopped looking at the torches, flew back to their friends and landed next to Sandbar. They looked at what was in front of them and saw a giant entrance to a passageway leading further into the dark cave. The entrance was decorated with the same dark crystals they saw back in the small tunnel, with one giant crystal in the middle on top. Beyond the entrance it was pitch black. Not even Smolder's fire would be enough to illuminate their way through there.

''Do you think Cosette went in there?'' Silverstream asked with a concerned look.

''She had to, we didn't encounter any other paths.'' Gallus said.

Yona gulped as she stared into the pitch black passageway, ''How Yona and friends gonna walk through this?''

''Hold on.'' Smolder said before flying to one of the torches on the walls. She grabbed it from the torch holder and flew back to her friends.

''Nice thinking, Smolder.'' Silverstream said.

''Thanks,'' Smolder responded, ''At least now I can finally stop breathing fire every five seconds.''

"Something tells me we shouldn't go in there." Ocellus said while looking at the pitch black darkness in front of her.

''But we can't just leave Cosette behind.'' Sandbar said.

''I know, but what if we encounter some kind of dangerous monster in there?'' Ocellus said.

''If any dangerous monster comes in our path, then it's just gonna have to deal with me,'' Smolder said confidently, ''Come on, let's go.'' She casually started walking into the passageway with the purple torch in her claws.

The purple fire was able to illuminate the passageway just enough for them to see where they were going. But just as Smolder was about to walk further in, the giant crystal above the entrance started glowing with what seemed like dark purple magic. A few seconds later, the magic shot out of the crystal and down towards Smolder.

Gallus was the first one to notice the magic and quickly jumped into action.

''Smolder, look out!'' Gallus shouted as he pushed her to the side just in time before the magic beam was able to hit her. His friends all gasped in horror and looked in shock when they saw that the magic beam hit Gallus on the head instead.

''Gallus!'' Silverstream shouted before she went to check on her friend. She grabbed the blue griffon by his face and looked straight into his eyes. To her shock, the white part of Gallus's eyes were glowing green while his blue pupils had turned blood red.

''Gallus, are you okay?'' Silverstream asked while looking worried. Gallus didn't say a word and kept standing completely still with his green and red glowing eyes.

Before Silverstream could ask him another question, she noticed Gallus slowly starting to move again.

''Headmare Twilight? What am I doing here?'' Gallus asked while giving Silverstream a confused look.

''Gallus?'' Yona said while sounding concerned.

''Huh? What are you talking about?'' Gallus asked, still giving Silverstream the same confused look.

Silverstream began to look concerned, ''Gallus, why are-''

Suddenly Gallus's expression changed from confused to horrified, ''No!'' He shouted in agony. The blue griffin pushed Silverstream to the ground and looked around himself in fear.

''Gallus, calm down,'' Silverstream said as she began to look a little scared, ''It's just me.''

''Please don't do this!'' Gallus begged as tears began to appear under his eyes, ''Just give me another chance! I promise I will never do it again!

Smolder rushed over to Gallus, placed her claws on his shoulder and looked him directly in the eyes. ''Gallus! Snap out of it!'' She shouted while shaking his body wildly.

Suddenly the green and red glow in Gallus's eyes slowly dissappeared. He looked around while panting steadily and wiped the tears from his eyes.

''W...What happened?'' Gallus asked in a shaky voice.

''You got hit by some dark looking magic from that dark crystal.'' Smolder explained as she pointed at the crystal above the entrance.

''And your eyes turned green and you called me Headmare Twilight.'' Silverstream added.

''And then you started shouting and begging for another chance.'' Ocellus said.

''What even was that?'' Sandbar asked while looking at the crystal.

''I have no idea,'' Ocellus answered him, ''Maybe that magic caused him to see some kind of vision?''

''What exactly did you see, Gallus?'' Smolder asked.

''I.....'' Gallus answered, sounding a bit unsure.

''Of course, if it's too much to talk about, we understand.'' Sandbar quickly said.

''Yeah, I'd rather not,'' Gallus answered nervously, ''In fact, just forget about whatever I said, okay?''

Silverstream embraced Gallus into a big hug, ''You sure had us worried for a moment there, Gallus.''

Gallus chuckled nervously, ''Yeah. But uh, I'm okay now.'' He said before Silverstream stopped hugging him.

Yona smiled before looking back up at the crystal, ''So what Yona and friends gonna do now?''

Smolder rubbed her chin for a moment before she looked over at Yona with a playful smirk.

''We'll use your head.'' Smolder suggested.

''Huh?'' Yona said while raising her eyebrow.

''I mean literally use your head to smash the crystal,'' Smolder explained, ''You do love smashing things, don't you?''

''Nothing make yaks more happy than smashing things!'' Yona said with a proud smile while stomping her hoof against the ground.

''Good idea, Smolder.'' Silverstream said.

''I agree,'' Ocellus said, ''But we must hurry, who knows how deep this passageway goes.''

''Right. Gallus, Silverstream. Help me pick her up.'' Smolder said as she grabbed Yona's back with her arms. Gallus and Silverstream joined in and grabbed the right and left side of Yona's body.

''Ready, Yona?'' Gallus asked as they started lifting the small yak off the ground.

''Yona ready to smash.'' Yona said with a determined smile on her face.

Smolder, Gallus and Silverstream didn't waste any more time and immediately rushed Yona towards the crystal. Yona's head hit the thing with a loud smash as the sound of shattering crystals echoed throughout the cave. The tiny pieces fell on the ground and in front of the passageway.

''I knew that would work.'' Smolder said proudly.

''Are you okay, Yona?'' Silverstream asked when she noticed the small stars circling around Yona's head.

''Never better,'' Yona said with a smile as her pupils kept circling around in her eyes, ''Smashy....Smashy....Smash....''

''You should probably get her down.'' Sandbar suggested with a concerned look.

The three gently placed the dizzy yak on the ground. Yona quickly shook her head back and forth to make the stars around her head disappear.

''Crystal not as easy to smash as Yona thought.'' Yona said while rubbing her forehead.

''That was some nice thinking, Smolder.'' Ocellus said.

Smolder picked up the torch from the ground that she had dropped earlier, ''Don't mention it. Now let's go find Cosette.''

Smolder was the first to walk into the passageway with the torch in her claws, which helped to illuminate the darkness alot better than they expected. Her friends soon followed her as they continued their journey through the cave.

Only less than a minute later, the light of the torch revealed a large, wooden door at the end of the passageway. On the wooden door was a giant, grey coloured, heart shaped symbol carved in the middle.

''Could she be in there?'' Sandbar asked.

''Let's hope so.'' Gallus said.

Gallus flew up to the door handle, grabbed it with his claws and began to pull it. With a little bit of effort, the door slowly opened. Ocellus noticed a green light flashing through the small opening of the door for a split second

''Who goes there?'' A familiar soft spoken voice said from behind the door.

''Cosette?'' Sandbar said, ''It's us, your friends.''

The door was finally open enough for them all to enter the room. They wasted no time and went inside. The first thing they saw was Cosette standing in the middle of a giant room with a big wooden desk behind her.

''Cosette!'' Ocellus said with a relieved smile.

''It's you?'' Cosette said with a surprised look.

''Green pony alright!'' Yona shouted happily. She rushed over to Cosette and embraced her into a tight hug.

The others took their time to take a look around. The room was decorated with the same torches with the same purple fire like they saw before. It looked almost exactly the same as the rest of the cave, only with even more dark crystals decorated on the walls. On the wooden desk behind Cossete were many pieces of paper, as well as lots of feather quills that were placed in a small inkpot.

''How did you find me here?'' Cosette asked as she tried to escape from Yona's hug.

''We heard your scream from the library,'' Silverstream explained, ''Then found a hidden passage in one of the rooms. So we went in and followed the path through the cave until we found you here.''

''Wait a minute,'' Gallus said in a confused tone, ''How did you get past that crystal?''

''What crystal?'' Cosette asked after she released herself from Yona's hug.

''The one hanging above the entrance back there.'' Gallus answered her.

Cosette widened her eyes for a moment, ''Oh....I uh....I don't know,'' she said, sounding slighty confused, ''Last thing I remember was losing my consciousness. And when I woke up, I somehow ended up in here.''

''So you're saying that someone or something took you here?'' Smolder asked.

''Could be,'' Cosette answered innocently, ''But it doesn't matter. At least you found me now, right?''

''But that doesn't make any sense,'' Smolder said, ''We didn't encounter anything else in the cave. And there were no other paths in the cave as far as we know.''

While the others kept talking and thinking about the mystery of the situation, Ocellus took her time to examine the things she saw laying on the desk. The whole thing was incredibly dusty, the papers were all torn and very old looking. Down on the left side of the desk were a series of drawers. Ocellus decided to open and check them all out of curiosity. None of them seemed to contain anything interesting, that is until she got to the final drawer. In there she looked at a big, sinister looking book with the same heart symbol she saw carved on the wooden door.

Just as Ocellus was about to grab the book out of the drawer, she felt something grabbing her by the shoulders and got pulled away from the desk.

''Wait!'' Ocellus heard Cosette say out loud from behind her. She looked back and saw that the small green pony was the one who had pulled her away from the wooden desk. The others had heard her and looked over at Ocellus and Cosette in surprise.

"What is it, Cosette?" Ocellus asked with a slightly shocked look on her face.

"I uh, just remembered something,'' Cosette said nervously to Ocellus and her friends, ''Didn't you all say that we were supposed to be back at school in time before I left?"

Ocellus gasped and placed her hoof on her mouth, ''You're right! We should have been back by now!''

''Come on, let's get out of here!'' Smolder said before she and the others quickly exited the room and made their way back to the exit of the dark cave.


It took quite a few minutes of running through the same small, claustrophobic tunnel until they finally reached the stairs that led them into the cave, all with the help of Smolder's purple torch that she was holding in her claw. The first thing that caught their attention when looking through the hole was the lack of any light shining through.

''Oh no,'' Ocellus said in a worried tone, ''That could only mean one thing.''

Smolder dropped her torch on the ground and together with her friends she walked up the stairs. All of them sighed in relief when they finally got out of the dark cave. Smolder led everyone out of the round shaped room and headed towards the entrance of the castle.

''Thank you all very much.'' Cosette said with a seemingly friendly smile.

''Aw, don't mention it,'' Smolder said as they walked down the stairs in the hallway, ''Let's just hope that-''

''There you are!'' A familiar voice said out loud. Everyone looked over to the entrance of the castle and saw Starlight Glimmer heading their way along with Spike and Twilight.

''What in the name of Equestria are you all doing here so late at night?!'' Twilight asked while looking worried.

''We can explain, Headmare Twilight,'' Ocellus said, ''You see-''

''It is my fault, Princess Twilight!'' Cosette said out of nowhere before Ocellus could finish her sentence.

''What do you mean?'' Twilight asked, slightly surprised by Cosette's reaction.

''Well you see, I came to the school because I really wanted to meet you and your friends,'' Cosette began to explain, ''But since you weren't available, I went with my new friends to the castle. And while they were all busy studying, I got so caught up sightseeing that I ended up getting lost. That's when my friends had to spend the rest of the day looking for me.''

Ocellus and her friends couldn't help but look at each other in confusion and disbelief after Cosette had finished explaining everything to Twilight.

''So please, Headmare Twilight,'' Cosette said with a sad look on her face, ''Don't punish them, it's not their fault.''

"But that not what-"

"I appreciate it, Yona," Cosette quickly said, interrupting Yona mid-sentance. "But you don't have to take the blame for me."

''Listen, I don't care who's fault it was,'' Twilight said before giving Cosette and her new friends a quick hug, ''I'm just glad you're all okay. Everypony at the school is worried sick about you.''

''They are?'' Gallus asked.

''Of course,'' Spike said, ''You didn't think that the disappearance of six creatures who saved Equestria from all of it's magic being sucked away by an evil filly pegasus would go unnoticed, did you?''

Cosette gave Spike a confused look, ''What is he talking about?''

''I'll explain it to you on the way back.'' Sandbar said.

"Just promise that you'll tell us next time if you ever decide to go here again, okay?" Starlight said.

''Told ya so.'' Ocellus said to Gallus in a playful tone.

Gallus responded to the blue changeling with an eye roll, ''Yup, you did.''

"We Pinkie Promise, Counselor Starlight!" Silverstream said with a smile as she placed her right claw on her right eye.

''Good,'' Twilight said, ''Now let's go, it's already way past your bed time.''

Twilight, Spike and Starlight led the others out of the castle and began to make their way back to the School of Friendship.

While walking back to the school, Sandbar told Cosette about the events that happened when he and his friends saved the School of Friendship and Equestria from Cozy Glow.

''Wow,'' Cosette said after Sandbar was done explaining the story, ''That certainly is an interesting story.''

''Yeah. I don't think my friends and I will ever experience anything as intense as that again.'' Sandbar said.

''Where did she get those six magical artifacts from anyway?'' Cosette asked curiously.

''Princess Celestia gave them to us.'' Sandbar answered.

''I see,'' Cosette said, ''Where are they now?''

''In our school, but I'm not exactly sure where though,'' Sandbar said, ''Why do you want to know?''

''I just uh, wanted to see what they look like.'' Cosette quickly answered back with a shy smile.

''Well, maybe Twilight can show you,'' Sandbar said, ''Only she knows where they are.''

''Oh, okay,'' Cosette said, ''Can I see her again tomorrow?"

''Sure," Sandbar said, ''Oh, wait. No, you can't.''

''Why not?'' Cosette asked, sounding slightly irritated.

"Because tomorrow is Hearts and Hooves day," Sandbar said, ''That's when our school is closed for a day.''

Cosette looked confused, "What is Hearts and Hooves day?" She asked curiously.

"It's a holiday where every couple in Ponyville celebrates the love they have for each other," Sandbar explained.

Cosette's eyes widened for a second before her face showed a seemingly endearing smile.

"Wow, that sounds very lovely.'' Cosette said.

''I know right?'' Sandbar said, ''But like I said, the school is closed on that day.''

''Oh, that's alright.'' Cosette said happily, ''I'll probably just come back some other time.''

''But what about Twilight and her friends?'' Sandbar asked, ''I thought you really wanted to meet them.''

''I do, but I can wait for another day,'' Cosette answered with an innocent smile, ''And besides, I don't wanna distract them when they're gonna be busy with the finals.''

''Wow. That's very considerate of you, Cosette.'' Sandbar said.

Cosette giggled innocently, ''I try.''

"Hey, Sandbar!" Sandbar heard Yona shouting a few meters away. He looked over at the entrance of the school and saw the small yak standing there as she waved at him.

''I'm coming, Yona!'' Sandbar said with his right hoof next to his mouth.

''I probably should go home. It's getting late.'' Cosette said.

''Okay. It was nice meeting you, Cosette,'' Sandbar said, ''Until next time.'' He walked away from her and headed towards the school while waving at the small green pony.

''Goodbye, Sandbar!" Cosette said with a bright smile while waving back at him. She watched Sandbar entering the School of Friendship along with Yona before they closed the door behind them.

When Cosette was finally alone, the bright smile on the small pony's face got replaced by a sly looking grin. She then turned around and walked away while quietly giggling to herself.