• Published 1st Jan 2019
  • 1,122 Views, 186 Comments

School of Logic: a Collection of Puzzles involving the Student Six - Coyotek4



Miscellaneous short-story logic puzzles, revolving around the Student Six and their professors.

  • ...
0
 186
 1,122

Welcome Back, Coccyx

“Good morning, everycreature,” Twilight addresses the group of six. “I have a special announcement for you today.”

“Special announcement?” Silverstream repeats with great anticipation. “Ooh, are we taking another field trip? Are we finally going to learn basic plumbing?

Confusion spreads across Twilight’s face, but she quickly shakes off the feeling and chuckles. “No plumbing lessons today, Silverstream.”

“Aww,” she replies with a tinge of sadness.

“Instead, you’ll have a special guest lecturer today!” Twilight cheerfully continues. Sandbar’s eyes prick up, as the others gaze on in mild interest. Slightly put off, Twilight addresses Gallus: “I thought there would be more enthusiasm from all of you.”

“Sorry, Headmare, but we kinda already know who’s coming … Ocellus told me and Yona last night.”

Really,” Twilight sternly responds as she walks over to Ocellus. “You know, it’s not very friendship-like to spoil a surprise for others.”

“I, oh, um … I’m sorry,” Ocellus nervously replies.

Twilight stares down Ocellus for several seconds … then bursts into laughter. “I’m kidding; it’s all right if you told your friends already!” The news causes the young changeling to breathe a sigh of relief.

Twilight returns to Gallus. “OK then, why don’t you tell the class who’s visiting today?”

“Ocellus said her uncle Coccyx is visiting … but that’s all I know about it.”

“I see,” Twilight continues with a wry smile. “So you don’t even know what this ‘Coccyx’ individual looks like, do you?”

“No, she didn’t say. But he’s a changeling, so he could take on any appearance.”

“He could, couldn’t he …”

Gallus takes a second look at Twilight, as an idea dawns on him. “Wait … you’re Coccyx, aren’t you!” His declaration draws interest from the others.

“Whoa,” Sandbar admits, “that’s impressive. You fooled me, anyway.”

“You fooled all of us,” Smolder adds. “Nicely done.”

Twilight’ peruses the students. “So, just between us … how do you feel about your real headmare?”

“Headmare Twilight is awesome!” Silverstream quickly exclaims. “She and the others have taught us all so much, and we’ve even saved Equestria because of her lessons!”

“Well, just between you and us,” Gallus starts … before catching himself.

“Yes?” ‘Twilight’ prods.

“Waaaaait a minute … what if you really are Headmare Twilight? Are you just trying to figure out what all of us really think about you?”

What? Don’t be silly,” ‘Twilight’ states with a nervous chuckle. “I mean, as if I really needed to … I mean, as if your headmare would really …”

“Is everything all right?”

The class turns to the door as Twilight … another Twilight … trots into the room. The second Twilight takes a look at the first Twilight, then Ocellus, then back to the first Twilight. “What’s going on?” she asks the group.

Ocellus looks from one Twilight to the other. “I really want to give my uncle a big hug … but which one do I hug?”

“I can’t be certain,” Smolder starts, “but I’d say the first Twilight is the real Twilight.”

“What makes you say that?” the two Twilights ask in unison.

“Well for one, you got pretty jittery when Gallus started questioning which one you were.”

The first Twilight blushes at the comments.

“And second, you knew Silverstream’s name.”

The first Twilight turns to the second. She nods her head, and the second Twilight morphs before everyone’s eyes into a yellow changeling with bulbous green eyes and fluorescent tan wings.

“Uncle!” Ocellus cries out as she approaches and hugs her fellow changeling.

“It’s great to see you again,” Coccyx says as he looks around the room. “So these are your friends. A most eclectic group if I’ve ever seen one.”

“So what was with the whole ‘pretending to be someone else’ bit?” Gallus asks Twilight.

“Just trying to hone my sense of humor,” she sheepishly replies. Gallus utters a flat ‘uh huh’ in response as Twilight composes herself. “In any case, I’m sure Coccyx has much to relate to you, and I have more planning to do at the present time. Enjoy!” She turns and heads out the door, leaving the elder changeling with the class.

Author's Note:

The next couple puzzles revolve around the 'twin towns' of Utopia and Paradise, as well as the 'third town' of Elysium. It will not be absolutely necessary to read my earlier Fics to solve these upcoming puzzles, but for those who are interested:

Twilight's Logic Puzzle Adventure

Twilight's New Logic Puzzle Adventure