• Published 1st Jan 2019
  • 1,122 Views, 186 Comments

School of Logic: a Collection of Puzzles involving the Student Six - Coyotek4



Miscellaneous short-story logic puzzles, revolving around the Student Six and their professors.

  • ...
0
 186
 1,122

Puzzle 11: Random Inference

“Just tell me, already!”

“Maybe Gallus tell Yona first!”

You first!”

“No, you first!”

Unable to focus on her reading, Ocellus groans and turns her attention towards her two vitriolic classmates. “Why are either of you making a big deal about this?”

“It’s a matter of personal pride,” Gallus explains. “Look, I can accept that Yona scored higher than me on whatever you call that ‘random quiz’ thing Professor Pinkie Pie gave us, but I’d still like to know by how much.”

“Then just tell each other what you got,” Ocellus suggests with a tinge of exasperation.

“Private information is private,” Yona states, “and should be earned rather than given away.”

Ocellus shakes her head and returns to perusing her book, keeping an ear towards the conversation.

“How about this,” Gallus suggests: “we each ask a single question about the other’s score, then try to deduce what that score is. That sound fair to you? Up for the challenge?” he concludes with a grin.

“Fine,” Yona says. “And Yona ask first.”

“Go right ahead.”

Yona ponders for a moment before asking: “Is Gallus score multiple of six?”

Ocellus perceives a slight pause, assuming the griffon either nodded or shook his head.

“My turn,” Gallus counters: “Is your score a triangular number? Oh … do I need to explain what that is?”

“Yaks know what triangle numbers are!” Yona flatly states.

“OK then … well, is your number triangular?”

Ocellus perceives another pause.

A smile comes across both Gallus’s and Yona's faces. They announce simultaneously:

“I know your number.” / “Yona know Gallus number!”

“Well here,” Gallus says as he pushes a piece of scrap paper towards the yak. “You write down your guess, and I’ll write down my guess.”

“Yona not guess,” she replies in kind. She and Gallus write down their guesses and simultaneously show each other.

Moments later, Ocellus catches a pair of cries of “HEY!!!” She puts down her book and turns to the others. “What now?”

“YOU LIED TO ME!”

“GALLUS LIE TO YONA!”

“You two really deserve each other,” Ocellus states. Gallus and Yona look at each for several seconds, before bursting into laughter.

“This really did spiral out of control, didn’t it?” Gallus admits.

“Professor Applejack not approve,” Yona states.

“All right,” Gallus adds. “I’ll just tell you first, and then you tell me.”

“That quiz was out of 20 points, right?” Ocellus asks. Yona responds with a simple ‘uh huh’.

“Then it’s settled,” Ocellus says … before stating both their scores.

Gallus stumbles for a response: “How … how could you possibly know our scores???”

“Yeah, and how you know Yona score?”

“Well to be honest, I only knew for certain that one of those scores was correct … but apparently, your scores differ by more than one, and that’s all I need to know for certain.”

Author's Note:

So, what score did Gallus and Yona each receive? Also, what score did each think the other got?


Apologies for the delay; I was a bit under the weather, and was also in pure 'Netflix binge' mode. Also, I admit this puzzle is fairly simple … but I've struggled in the past with solving puzzles that require inference, and wanted to make my first such creation simple just to be sure I didn't err.

My next puzzle should have a bit more meat on it.