• Published 1st Jan 2019
  • 1,122 Views, 186 Comments

School of Logic: a Collection of Puzzles involving the Student Six - Coyotek4



Miscellaneous short-story logic puzzles, revolving around the Student Six and their professors.

  • ...
0
 186
 1,122

Puzzle 8: Chaotic Reasoning

The last of their classes completed, the students head down the hallway leading to Starlight’s office.

“A non-eventful day for a change,” Ocellus points out. “Just a quick meeting with the counselor, and the rest of the day is ours.”

“It’s weird,” Silverstream says, “I got so used to dealing with solving puzzles in class, now it feels strange not to experience one in a class.”

“Just as well,” Smolder replies. “My brain could use a cooling down after the last couple days.”

“Yeah, it’s nice to just have a normal school day for a change,” Gallus adds as they reach Starlight’s office. He opens the door … as water pours from the office, quickly enveloping the hooves, claws, and talons of the students.

“Why do I tempt fate like that?” he asks as he and the other peek into Starlight’s office. They are surprised to see a downpour taking place within the confines of the office, as Starlight stands atop her desk while barking orders towards a familiar former administrator:

“FOR THE LAST TIME, DISCORD, STOP THE RAIN!!!

Discord snaps his fingers; immediately, the clouds that had been enveloping the ceiling disappear as the precipitation ceases.

“I still don’t see why you’re so irate … you said you had to water the flowers, I thought I’d save you some time,” he replies. “And now that I’ve done you a favor, our friendship dictates that you reciprocate in kind.”

Starlight shakes off as much moisture from her coat and mane as possible. “There’s no position available at the present time, Discord.”

“Oh, be reasonable,” he insists, drawing a laugh from the unicorn. “And just what does that mean?”

“Discord, you are one of the most unreasonable creatures I’ve ever met! And I’m not saying that to be mean; it’s just your nature.”

“Why, I am aghast at your insinuation, Starlight. I can be plenty reasonable, much more than you, of course!”

Starlight rolls her eyes at the notion.

“Uh, Counselor Starlight,” Silverstream meekly asks, drawing the attention of the two in the office. “Is this a bad time, because we can come back later.”

An idea pops in Discord’s head. “Actually, my little nonponies, this is a perfect time to demonstrate my superior powers of reasoning.”

“Didn’t you say ‘reasonable’?” Sandbar asks.

“Six of one … speaking of six, how about each of you six think of a number, and I’ll try to figure out what numbers you’ve thought up.”

Smolder delivers a flat ‘No’ to Discord. “We’ve been doing all sorts of puzzles like that all week. We need a break!”

Fine,” Discord responds in a huff. “I guess I’ll create my own puzzle, one that Starlight won’t be able to figure out. And to relieve you of the burden of thinking up numbers, I’ll assign numbers to you. I’ll even direct you as to what to say.”

“Nasty trickster can’t put words in Yona’s mouth,” the yak defiantly states.

Discord snorts, then snaps his fingers. Moments later, Yona feels a queasiness from her stomach, causing her to groan.

“What trickster do to … Yo … na … AAAUGH!” Before finishing her sentence, Yona spits out a scrolled-up parchment onto the floor. Similar groaning sounds cause her to turn to her fellow students, all of which have experienced the same sensation, and all of which now stand before similar parchments.

Blecch,” Silverstream moans. “How does Spike do this on a regular basis.” Cautiously, she picks up her scroll from the ground and unfurls it; the others do likewise.

“What does this even mean?” Sandbar asks.

“Just read them, all of you,” Discord requests. “And you may want to take notes, Starlight.”

“And if we refuse?” Gallus asks.

Discord groans. “You want motivation? Fine, here’s my proposal: if your counselor can solve my puzzle, I’ll rescind my request for a more permanent position here.”

Starlight rolls her eyes. “Whatever … anything that will get you out of my office.” Her horn glows as a parchment and quill fly from a far, dry corner of the office.

“Excellent,” Discord says. “Now there are rules to follow, so pay attention: I won’t be repeating myself. I have assigned each of these six a number from 1 to 60. And because I like things on the odd side, all their numbers are odd, as well as different. All you have to do is figure out their numbers.”

Starlight turns to the students. “What do the scrolls say?” Each student, in turn, reads off his or her scroll:


Smolder goes first: “No one has a number that is a multiple of 9. I have the largest number.”

Gallus follows: “My number is a perfect cube. Yona’s number is a perfect square. Silverstream’s number contains a ‘3’.”

Ocellus goes next: “Yona’s number contains a ‘4’. Smolder's number contains a ‘9’. No two of us have numbers within 7 of each other.”

Sandbar continues: “My number contains a ‘1’. Silverstream’s number is 21. Gallus’s number is between 16 and 24.”

Silverstream follows: “My number is 10 less than Gallus’s number. Sandbar’s number is 27.”

Yona goes last: “Ocellus truthful. Sandbar lies. Both Gallus’s and Silverstream’s numbers prime.”


“Oh, and one other thing: any statement made by a creature with a number greater than 30 is true, unless the number is prime, in which case those statements are false. In addition: any statement made by a creature with a number less than 30 is false, unless the number is prime, in which case those statements are true. Got it? Good luck … I suspect you’ll need luck more than reasoning!”

Discord gives a final laugh before *POP*-ing out of the office.

Author's Note:

Probably my most contrived storyline, but I really like the puzzle I created. I hope you, the reader, enjoy solving the puzzle as much as I enjoyed creating it.