• Published 1st Jan 2019
  • 1,122 Views, 186 Comments

School of Logic: a Collection of Puzzles involving the Student Six - Coyotek4



Miscellaneous short-story logic puzzles, revolving around the Student Six and their professors.

  • ...
0
 186
 1,122

Puzzle 7: Silverstream of Consciousness

Quizzes are never fun … but for whatever reason, quizzes given by Fluttershy never seem as daunting or fearsome as those for Headmare Twilight or the other professors …

“I’m sure you’ve all done wonderfully well on this quiz,” the soft-spoken instructor states as she takes the last of the students’ papers. “We have some time left before class is over, so I’d like to introduce you to a most unusual piece of flora.”

“It’s not dragonsneeze trees, right?” Smolder cautiously asks.

“Oh, nothing like that … but I must ask that you not touch.” The students turn to each other with mixed feelings of curiosity and trepidation as Fluttershy walks over to a closet and carefully clutches a potted plant sporting blue foliage, gingerly bringing it to her desk.

“OK, everycreature; come on up and look, but again, do not touch.”

The group of six approach the front desk and crowd around the plant. “So what’s so unusual about this?” Gallus asks.

“This is ‘poison joke’,” Fluttershy begins to explain.

“Don’t you mean ‘poison oak’?” Sandbar interrupts.

“No … ‘poison joke’. And it has strange properties, causing reactions that would make Discord proud.”

The students exchange more strange glances towards each other.

“Yona confused. Plant causes different reactions for different creatures?”

“It does. One time, when all your professors once stumbled into a field of poison joke, we all came down with various afflictions. Headmare Twilight lost her magical ability, Pinkie Pie lost her ability to speak, and Rarity came down with an awful case of frizzy mane.”

“And what happened to you?” Ocellus asks.

Fluttershy chuckles. “My voice became very deep,” she explains, attempting to naturally recreate a baritone sound. “At first I got very depressed … but with the help of Zecora, I and everypony else got better, and we’ve since been able to laugh at the whole incident.”

“Uh … professor? …”

Fluttershy turns to address Silverstream, who by now had grown rather quiet. “Goodness, you look nervous. Is everything all right?”

“Uh, yeah, everything is fine … so … how long does it take for symptoms to appear?”

Fluttershy thinks about the question for a moment. “About a day, I guess? We all got a good night’s sleep before coming down with any ailments. Why do you ask?”

“Well yesterday I may have taken a stroll around the area, and I may have come across a patch of this ‘poison joke’ … and I may have rolled around in it because I enjoy the feel of plants.”

Instinctively, the other students back away quickly from both Silverstream and the desk.

“Oh dear … wait here, everycreature, while I get Twilight,” Fluttershy requests before bolting from the room.

The other five students examine the hippogriff in awkward silence.

“How do you think this ‘poison joke’ affects non-ponies?” Smolder asks Ocellus.

“I couldn’t even imagine,” the changeling replies.

“How seapony feel?” Yona asks.

“I feel fine, I guess. At least I don’t feel any differently but then I usually feel like this like the other day I was telling myself I-feel-great-but-I-could-always-feel-better-if-I-just—”

Silverstream abruptly clasps a talon to her mouth, catching the others by surprise as her eyes dart this way and that.

“Silverstream, what’s wrong?” Sandbar asks.

Carefully, Silverstream removes her talon from her mouth. She opens her mouth:

“I-don’t-understand-all-of-a-sudden-I-can’t-help-but-talk-and-go-on-and-on-and-on-but-I-want-to-be-quiet-but-I-just-have-this-impulse-to-keep-going—” She quickly reclasps her mouth with her talon.

“Whoa … and I thought dragonsneeze tree were strange,” Smolder admits.

“Don’t worry,” Ocellus reassures, “Twilight and the others will be here to cure you soon enough.”

Moments later, Twilight and Fluttershy rush into the room. Twilight trots over to Silverstream, noting the talon over her mouth. “Silverstream, how are you feeling.”

She uncovers her mouth: “I-feel-fine-except-I-can’t-stop-talking-which-is-weird-since-I-like-having-conversations-but-this-feels-like-too-much-so—” and immediately re-covers her mouth.

Twilight nods and turns to Fluttershy. “Can you recreate Zecora’s cure?”

Fluttershy nods.

“Go ahead and start a bath; let us know when you’re ready.”

Fluttershy nods again and heads off. Twilight turns back to Silverstream.

“You’ll be fine, it’s just a strange sensation you’re feeling now. One thing we’ve learned is that ‘poison joke’ is easily cured.”

Silverstream nods.

Twilight looks towards the desk, seeing the quiz recently taken by the students. “Maybe we can take your mind off your illness for a bit. So, how do you think you did on the quiz you just took.”

Silverstream again opens her mouth:

Gallus-was-higher-than-Sandbar-but-Sandbar-was-higher-than-Ocellus-while-Ocellus-was-higher-than-Yona-but-then-Yona-was-2-higher-than-Smolder-while-Smolder-was-3-higher-than-Sandbar-and-Gallus-was-4-higher-than-Yona-but-Ocellus-was-5-higher-than-Gallus—”

Silverstream clasps her mouth once again, as Twilight and the others take in the long list of declarations. Minutes later, Fluttershy reenters the room.

“I think everything is ready for Silverstream.”

“That’s wonderful. Let’s go, everycreature …”


The last of the daylight having left Equestria, the students settle down in the dorm, grateful that Silverstream is now rid of the bizarre disease.

“It was weird,” she relates to the others. “It was like I felt compelled to keep talking, even ahead of breathing. I never really appreciated pauses in conversation before now.”

“What important is seapony all better,” Yona declares. The others nod in agreement.

A knock on the door causes the group to turn to the entrance. “Come in,” Gallus calls out; moments later, the door opens and Twilight enters the foyer.

“I just wanted to check in on all of you, and especially Silverstream.”

“I’m feeling better, thank you. And thanks to Fluttershy for that curing bath; it felt invigorating!”

Twilight smiles. “You can thank her face-to-face when you see her tomorrow. Oh, and she finished grading your quizzes in case you’re interested …” She chuckles to herself.

“What’s so funny?” Smolder asks.

“Well, it’s just that … all those statements Silverstream made while infected with the poison joke.”

“You mean the ones concerning our scores on Fluttershy’s quiz?” Ocellus adds.

“Yeah, it’s just that … well, she made 7 statements regarding how you placed. And every comment where the students mentioned were either both above or both below Silverstream was true, while every comment where one student was above and one student was below Silverstream was false.”

Twilight’s horn glows as a quill jots down the statements on a sheet of paper for reference.

“Well, I have to go. We’ll see you all tomorrow, and again, I’m glad to see Silverstream isn’t the worse for wear.” With that, the alicorn departs.

“Why headmare not tell us order?” Yona asks.

“I think she did,” Sandbar replies.

Gallus shakes his head. “Unbelievable … now the plants are giving us puzzles!”

Author's Note:

In what order did the students place, 1st through 6th? (Assume no ties.)