• Published 1st Jan 2019
  • 1,116 Views, 186 Comments

School of Logic: a Collection of Puzzles involving the Student Six - Coyotek4



Miscellaneous short-story logic puzzles, revolving around the Student Six and their professors.

  • ...
0
 186
 1,116

Puzzle 2: Who got the 96?

“Another ‘history of friendship’ quiz in the books,” Gallus exclaims with relief as he passes his paper up along with his classmates. “You’d think saving Equestria would be enough for graduation purposes.”

“From what I’ve seen in my days in Ponyville, we’re not even in the Top Ten around here.” Sandbar’s retort brings about a fresh round of laughter.

“It won’t take long to grade these,” Twilight asserts, “so you can just chat amongst yourselves as I get these marks in.” Her horn glows as a quill dips into in an inkwell and she peruses the first of the six papers.

The students adjust their desks in a circle and begin pondering how they fared:

“Yona think Yona did well. Yona think Yona earn score of 97.”

“Why 97?” Sandbar asks.

“97 prime, like yaks. Yaks renowned for ways in mathematics.”

“I’ll have to take your word on that,” Gallus says, “but I feel like I did better than you did.”

Yona’s eyes glare at the griffin.

“It’s not a knock on you, Yona. I’m not usually confident on quizzes like this, but I think I did well. Besides, professor Pinkie Pie’s been pushing me to make more predictions.”

“Well, I’m not as confident as some of you are,” Smolder states, “but I don’t think I got the lowest score of the six of us.”

“Then who do you think did?” Ocellus asks. Smolder replies with a shrug and a trite ‘meh’.

“So how did you do?” Sandbar asks Ocellus. The latter opens her mouth to reply, but Silverstream breaks in:

“Oh, Ocellus always does well on these. I bet her score is one of the top three among the six of us.” The comment draws a slight blush from the changeling.

“OK, that’s four predictions so far,” Sandbar recaps. “So, Yona thinks she got a 97, Gallus thinks he did better than Yona, Smolder thinks her score wasn’t the lowest, and Silverstream thinks Ocellus had one of the top three scores. So I guess that just leaves—”

“FINISHED!”

Twilight’s exclamation causes the students to suddenly turn to face their headmare. “That was quick,” Smolder asserts.

“It’s easy to grade papers when they’re all of such high quality,” Twilight replies with a broad smile. “All of you did incredibly well!”

“Really?” Gallus reflexively asks.

“Yep. In fact, all of you got scores ranging from 94 to 99. But none of you got the same score.”

“All right … A’s for everyone!” Sandbar exclaims.

“So tell us,” Ocellus prods, “who got each score?”

“Well it’s funny,” Twilight starts.

“She sure has a strange notion of funny,” Gallus quietly tells the others, as Twilight continues.

“I couldn’t help but overhear your predictions while I was grading. As it turns out, anyone who made a true prediction ended up with an even-numbered score, while anyone who made a false prediction ended up with an odd-numbered score.”

Silverstream laughs, causing the others to turn to her. “Oh, she said it was funny, so I thought …”

Ocellus turns to Twilight, anticipation in her voice. “So does that mean we can figure out who got what score?”

“Oh, not at all. At least not with only that information.” Twilight ponders the situation further. “Although … this is actually quite interesting. IF I told you which of you got the score of 96, then you WOULD have enough information to figure out everyone’s score.”

“Whoa … now Yona confused.”

“So who did get the 96?” Smolder asks.

“I don’t need to tell you that anymore,” Twilight replies. “But, I’ll forego homework assignments for a week if you can figure out who got what score.”

“DEAL!”

...

Everyone turns to Gallus, surprised by his renewed enthusiasm. “What’re you all staring at, let’s solve this!”

Author's Note:

Admittedly, this puzzle turned out FAR harder than originally intended. Nevertheless, there IS a unique solution, as will be explained in the next 'solution' chapter.