• Published 1st Jan 2019
  • 1,122 Views, 186 Comments

School of Logic: a Collection of Puzzles involving the Student Six - Coyotek4



Miscellaneous short-story logic puzzles, revolving around the Student Six and their professors.

  • ...
0
 186
 1,122

Puzzle 9: Ocellus is Stumped

“Now everycreature take a number,” Pinkie instructs the class, “and starting tomorrow, you’ll all take turns baking cupcakes for the class.”

“I’ve never baked anything before,” Sandbar reminds his professor. “I’m not sure my batch will turn out OK.”

“It’s not about the quality, silly!” Pinkie reassures. “It’s about the act of doing something for your friends. And if they don’t come out exceptionally well, then you have a fun story to share.”

“I’m with Sandbar on this,” Gallus states. “What if my ‘fun story’ gets told in a hospital ward?”

Smolder dismisses Gallus’s concern: “Meh … I can taste-test if everyone else wants. We dragons have strong stomachs; it takes a lot to make us sick.”

“Is that a challenge?” Gallus slyly asks. The group laughs at the veiled threat.

“See … even this discussion is fun,” Pinkie declares. “Now come on up, one number per student.”

Each student, in turn, randomly selects a number from Pinkie’s desk. Each peruses his or her own number, without seeing any other number selected.

“Okie-dokie, that’s all for today! See you bright and early tomorrow!” Having concluded classroom proceedings for the day, Pinkie pronks her way out the classroom door.

“At least she’s not going on about the walls again,” Silverstream states.

“So when everyone else go?” Yona asks. “Yona second,” she adds as she shows off the ‘2’ to the others.

Smolder leans over to look at Sandbar’s number. “My number is three less than Sandbar’s,” she states.

Silverstream opens her mouth to speak, but Gallus stops her and turns to Ocellus.

“OK, you’re the puzzle-lover here. I’m guessing you can figure out everyone’s number just based on those statements, right?”

Ocellus looks at her number and ponders the previous statements. “I … I …”

“Is everything OK?” Sandbar asks.

“I … I don’t know.”

“You don’t know if you’re OK?” Silverstream asks.

“No … I don’t know everyone else’s number. In fact, I don’t know anyone else’s number, besides my own and Yona’s. That’s not like me.”

“ ‘Huh’,” Gallus says, taking a second look at his own number. “If that’s the case, then I know everyone’s number.”

“YOU DO???” the other students ask in unison.

“I do … and if I add that my number is higher than Ocellus’s, everyone can now figure out who has what number.”

Author's Note:

So … what number does each student have? (All numbers are from 1 to 6.)

(Admittedly a bit on the easy side ... I'll try to make the next one more challenging.)