• Published 18th Dec 2018
  • 783 Views, 4 Comments

Light and Darkness – The Shadow of Midnight - Rakoon1



It’s time to solve the mystery surrounding the two twin princesses of the Light Kingdom, a mystery that will put one of the twins on a path to overcome her own darkness in order to control her own power.

  • ...
2
 4
 783

The Academy Reception

The end of the summer could only mean one thing to young beings: the beginning of school. Of course this new school year was different to Midnight and Sunny, as they would begin in the Three Great Fairies Preparatory Academy, just like their older brother. Ever since they got to know that they were coming, they got very excited, as they had heard from their big brother how great the academy was.

At the day of the reception, the three of them were embarking at the carriage. Timber was with them, sleeping at the floor, while Midnight remained sit and Sunlight couldn’t stop watching the sights outside with great excitement.

“Oh, I can’t wait to get to the school!” she exclaimed. “It’s the first time we got to go to the Enchanted Forest! Don’t you think it’s excited, Midnight?!”

“Yes, it is” Midnight replied, with less happiness than her twin, something that caught Star’s attention.

“And I so want to see the library!” Sunny continued. “Do you think there are as many as the ones that exist in our library, Star?”

“Well, I don’t know” Star replied. “I’ve never noticed that before. But you can’t bet there are many, some of them we don’t have it in our library, particularly about the many kingdoms of the Enchanted Forest.”

“Sweet!” Sunny exclaimed. “I wanted to know much more about the Enchanted Forest. The only thing we know is what you and your friends told us about the academy and Thicket.”

“You’ll have plenty of time to get to know your surroundings” Star told her. “Mainly once you go to Leafgreen. The village is very nice. Just don’t go to the woods around it. Believe in me when I said my last time there was not very pleasant.”

His attention went then to Midnight, who was still very quiet.

“Are you okay, Midnight?” he asked. “You have barely said anything.”

“It’s nothing, Star, really” Midnight said. “It’s just nerves about the new school.”

“Midnight, I’m your brother and I know you very well” Star told her. “I know there’s something more.”

The younger twin sighed and then confessed:

“It’s just I’m a little afraid.”

“Afraid of what?”

“Afraid that they find out that I’m… Well, you now. What if I lose control and…”

“Don’t worry so much about that” Star reassured her, while petting Timber’s head. “Whatever happens, I’ll be there. And even if I’m not, Sunny will be. Besides, it’s not like you’re going to lose control at the first day. For that to happen, something really bad and stressful needed to occur and I doubt some nerves will do anything about it.”

“Are you sure?” Midnight asked.

Star nodded to her, what made her feel much better.

“I can see the forest now!” Sunny exclaimed, looking outside the window.

Star and Midnight did the same and they could see the frontier between Pony World and the Enchanted Forest.

“You’re right, Sunny, we’re here” Star said. “Now you better sit. Believe me, you’ll enjoy it much better.”

“Enjoy what?” Sunny asked.

But Star didn’t reply, what made Sunny become even more curious and do what his brother asked.

The carriage crossed the frontier, what made everypony inside feel that tingling feeling that was usually felt once they crossed.

“Wow… that was awesome!” Sunny exclaimed, what caused Star to chuckle.

“And be welcome to the Enchanted Forest, girls” he said.

The twins looked through the window and they couldn’t believe at the marvelous sight that was outside. Star couldn’t blame them for being that amazed, as that was a brand new world to them, as it was once to him.

It didn’t take long for them to arrive to the academy and the twins became astonished with their beauty.

“Wow!” they both did, as the three siblings and timberwolf descended the carriage with their respective saddlebags.

“I know, it’s breath taking” Star said. “But you can’t stay like that for too long. It won’t be late for the students to gather for the reception.”

Just as they were about to advanced, a great amount of students quickly gathered around Star, isolating him from his sisters and Timber. They were admirers of him that were very excited to see the pony that defeated the Lord of Chaos and Ten-Tails. It was not like Star was not used to, as he had already the entire Light Kingdom once, but it didn’t become much easier each time. And, for what he could notice, those students had already heard about his adventures to Tambelon.

“Okay, guys, take it easy, please” Star asked. “You don’t want me to suffocate. I’m with my little sisters and they are new here and…”

But it was like they weren’t listening at all.

“Ow, we really have the coolest and most popular brother ever” Sunny commented, while Midnight nodded in agreement.

“That’s what he gets fer bein’ a hero” a playful voice said.

The twins turned around and saw, to their delight, Jonagold and Moonlight.

“Jona!” the two twins called. “Moonlight!”

“Hi, girls” Moonlight greeted with a smile, before going to pet Timber. “Hi, Timber… Are you two ready to start a new school year in a brand new school.”

The twins nodded and then Midnight said:

“We just wanted that we could have our brother to show us the place around.”

“Well, your brother is rather popular ‘round this parts” Jonagold commented. “Mainly after beatin’ that ten-tailed beast and also helpin’ freein’ an entire kingdom. Fer tha look of that crowd, Ah believe it will take a while before yall can have it for yerselves. Ah mean, sweet Celestia, look at that. An’ they are mostly girls. Looks like ya have competition, Moonlight.”

“Please, Jona…” Moonlight scoffed, while petting Timber. “I’m above of those attention-seeking fangirls. I’m already Star’s marefriend and we spend a great time together during our trip to Tambelon.”

“Yeah, but you are a little jealous, aren’t you?” Jonagold asked.

Moonlight didn’t reply, limiting only to make a hard look to the young earth colt that silenced him.

Suddenly, Star teleported right to their side, sighing in relief.

“Finally!” he said. “I thought I wouldn’t get out of there.”

“Well, then it’s a good thing that you did, right?” Moonlight said, going to kiss and embrace Star.

“How did you teleported here without calling any attention?” Jonagold asked.

“Oh, I put a clone in my place” Star replied, pointing to where he was where now was a clone. “It was hard because I needed to do it quickly and without being seen. I just hope he can last until they calm down.”

His sisters, who loved when their brother performed some complex magic, became very impressed with what he did.

“Ya know, Star, Moonlight here was jealous ov yers admirers” Jonagold said to his best friend.

That comment gave him nothing more than a stomp on his hoof by Moonlight who told him:

“Don’t say nonsenses, Jonagold Apple.”

Star only chuckled and said to his best friend, while putting his foreleg around Moonlight’s shoulders:

“Don’t worry, Jona, I’m sure I can deal with Moonlight’s jealousy, if she has any. I’m just not sure you can deal with the pain she caused you. Are you okay, buddy?”

“Peaches…” he replied, still recovering from the stomp Moonlight gave him.

The group shared a laugh before Professor Knotgrass approach them.

“Oh, Prince Star, there you are” she said. “I came here as soon as your carriage arrived. I and the other headmistresses need to talk to you.”

“Is there something wrong, professor?” Star asked.

“Not at all, but there is something we need to talk about” Professor Knotgrass said.

“Well, okay” Star nodded, turning to his friends. “Can you watch over the twins and Timber?”

Jonagold and Moonlight nodded and so Star went with Knotgrass.

“Ow, Star only got here and is already going with the headmistress?” a voice said. “Now that’s a record.”

They are turned and saw Gunter. But he was not alone. He was not alone. He was with another griffon, younger than him, with a brilliant cerulean coat and head with pale, light grayish amber chest and eyebrows, moderate cerulean wings and tailfeathers, brilliant amber talons and beak and some feathers at the top of his head that had a gradient of brilliant cerulean to grayish spring bud to brilliant amber. He had moderate azure eyes.

“Gunter, hi!” Moonlight called. “No, I don’t think so. Professor Knotgrass said there was nothing wrong.”

“Beside, ya know our old buddy Star” Jonagold said. “He is the responsible one.”

“Perhaps it’s something regarding the last events or another thing not that important” Moonlight said. “And while he is not here, we’re with his sisters.”

“Oh, that’s true, it’s their first year here!” Gunter exclaimed, turning to the twins. “Are you excited for coming here?”

“You bet we are” Sunny replied, while Midnight nodded along.

“Well, at least you looked more excited than I was” Gunter said. “That’s good, because then you can make company to my brother, Gallus. It’s also his first year.”

And he motioned to the young griffon that was with him, that didn’t seem to be appreciating being there.

“Oh, so your li’l brother is comin’ too, hein?” Jonagold asked. “That’s good. So, Gallus, what does it feel to come study here?”

But Gallus just shrugged the shoulders with his talons crossed.

“Uh, it’s nothing special…”

“Uh, don’t mind him” Gunter said. “He inherited our uncle Quentin’s crankiness. He is always acting like he is so tough. Is not right, little brother?”

And he raffled Gallus’ head, but the latter didn’t like that one bit and shove away Gunter’s talon, while shouting:

“Can you stop doing that! I’m not a hatchling!”

“Hey, you’re still my little brother, Gallus.”

“Yes, but that doesn’t mean you have to act like that over me every time. It was such a relief when you came here alone, but now I have to come along, because you study here and uncle Guto also studied here and because our ancestor Grover was from the Enchanted Forest. Look, why don’t you stay here with your friends while I’m looking around. Perhaps I can find anything interesting.”

And he started to move away.

“Okay, but don’t go too far” Gunter said. “You’re new around here.”

“Wow, your brother is not that happy for being here” Jonagold noticed.

“Ah, he gets used to” Gunter said. “So, have you guys seen Bramble yet?”

“Asking for me” another voice said.

And Bramble approached.

“Well, yeah, so the group is all here, except for you” Gunter replied. “Well, Star is not here either, but that’s because he is talking with the headmistresses.”

“Why, is something wrong?” Bramble asked.

“I don’t think is something serious” Moonlight said.

“Well, once he is here, the gang will be completed” Gunter said.

“If you’re including me, Gunter, then you must not forget about Galena” Moonlight said.

“Please, don’t say her name like that” Gunter told her. “If you do, she’s gonna…”

“…show up and ruin your day” a female voice said. “Well, that just happened.”

“Galena!” Moonlight exclaimed, as she went to give a hug to her best friend. “It’s so good to see you.”

“Yeah, I’m glad to see you too, best friend” Galena said. “And we have a lot to talk about. You have to tell me everything that happened during that trip of yours to Tambelon.”

“Yes, go talk to each other, preferable far away, please” Gunter said.

“I see you’re still the same, Gunter” Galena said. “Always the obnoxious of the usual.”

“I thought that with Griffonstone and Aeropolis now starting to get along, you two would also be better friends” Bramble commented.

But Gunter and Galena said at the same time:

“With her never!”

“With him never!”

Their friends just brought their hooves to their faces, seeing how stubborn their griffon friends were being. Midnight and Sunny couldn’t help but give some laughs.

“Hey guys!” Star called, as he landed.

“Star!” his friends called him.

“So, what did tha headmistresses want’d?” Jonagold asked.

“Oh, they wanted to tell me they are moving me one year ahead” Star said.

“What?!”

“Wait, that’s the reward for saving the world?” Gunter asked. “Then let me be the hero next time.”

That comment caused Galena to scoff and said:

“Yeah, right, as if that’s going to happen.”

“Actually, they are moving me forward because I’m way advanced for the program of this year” Star said. “What’s actually good, because I was looking forward to have Alchemy. My mom always tells me it’s one of best and most complicated branches of magic.”

“I don’t envy you, man” Gunter said, while putting his talon over Star’s shoulder. “Alchemy is already too difficult, moreover having Professor Xenon teaching it.”

“Oh, I can handle him, don’t worry” Star said. “The worst part of this is that this is my last year, which means I won’t be able to come with you next year.”

“Don’t worry, Star, just because we’re not going to be here together next year, it doesn’t mean we’ll stop being friends” Bramble said.

“Bramble is right” Jonagold said. “Besides, Ah may need yer help in the studies, once in a while.”

“And that only will make our next victory at the flying derby even more delicious” Gunter told.

“And I’m sure you’re going to visit me, won’t you?” Moonlight asked, while kissing Star on the cheek.

“But of course” Star replied, smiling at her. “And I expect the same from you.”

“Yeah, but we’re the ones who will have to come alone next year” Sunny said, with her and Midnight a little saddened.

“Hey, I still have this year here with you two” Star told them. “And it’s not like you’re going to be alone. You have Jona, Moonlight and all the others. And you also will make new friends.”

“Yeah, but it’s not the same thing” Sunny said.

“If only we had an old friend of ours to keep us company” Midnight said.

“You mean friends like us” a voice said from behind.

They turned and saw, with great surprise, none other than Gust, Rainbow Dash and Soarin’s son, and Silver Wind, Rarity and Shadow Claw’s daughter.

“Gust! Silver!” the twins exclaimed, excited, going to their side.

“It’s so good to have you here!” Sunny exclaimed.

“Yeah, it’s also good to be here” Gust replied.

“I’ll say it” Silver Wind said it. “I’ve been here at the summer when my mom took me to be safe from the war, but it’s different when you’re actually here as a student.”

“Yes, but it is quite a surprise” Star commented, while he and the others approached. “I’m mean, not you, Silver, but you, Gust.”

“Don’t your parents run the Wonderbolt Junior Academy?” Gunter asked. “And didn’t study there? Why are you here?”

“I wanted to experiment new things, so I asked my parents to enroll me here” Gust explained.

“And how the hay did you manag’d to do such feat?” Jonagold asked. “Ah bet aunt Rainbow Dash wasn’t that keen of tha idea.”

“You bet she wasn’t” Silver Wind said. “I heard my mom telling my dad about she tried to make her allow Gust to come.”

“Well, it was not that easy to convince them both, but I argued that, while here I can enroll in the flying derby team and compete with their school and that would increase my flying abilities.”

“Smooth…” Gunter commented. “And the best choice. Our team is way better. But I think you’ll have to wait a few years before joining the team, little fella.”

It was then that the students started to gather up.

“The reception is about to start” Star noticed.

“I better go find Gallus, or else he can get in trouble with griffons from Aeropolis or others” Gunter said, moving away.

“Hey, are those who I think they are?” Moonlight asked, pointing to the teachers that were joining the headmistresses at the entrance.

They looked, noticing the normal faces they were used to, like Xenon Alchemy, Ebony, Yallow Belle, Glowing Star, Holy and coach Gideon, along with others, but there were also new ones… or rather not that new.

“Jona, isn’t that your aunt Apple Bloom?” Moonlight asked. “And your aunt Sweetie Belle, Silver Wind? And Scootaloo is there too.”

And they were. Apple Bloom, Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo were between the teachers.

“Yes, it’s her” Jonagold confirmed. “But what on earth are they doin’ here. My aunt didn’t tell me she was coming here.”

“Neither did mine” Silver Wind said.

“Well, I think Sweetie Belle is coming here to replace Melody” Star said. “She was basically here to watch over me, but I don’t need her watch anymore. The same thing went to Purple Smoke. But the others I don’t know.”

Clearing her voice, Knotgrass declared:

“Welcome all of you to a brand new year at the Three Great Fairies Preparatory Academy!”

The students cheered for a moment, before Thistlewit continued:

“We can see some familiar faces between you all, but also some new ones. And that’s very good, because it means that new minds will be sharpen in these walls.”

“And not only from the regular places, but also from parts of the Enchanted Forest that normally don’t come here to study” Merryweather said, referring to new students coming from Evermist and Stonult.

“We hope you all can learn everything you can” Knotgrass stated. “And you’re going to have help from all the staff that inclusive is now reinforced with new blood. Please, give your greetings to new teachers here in the academy.”

And she made a gesture to Apple Bloom, Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo who waved to everyone.

“After the exit of our dear Professor Melody, she recommended Professor Sweetie Belle as a replacement” Knotgrass said, while Sweetie Belle gave a step forward to greet the students. “She is not only a great singer and actress who already performed with great success in Canterlot and Las Pegasus and is one of the greatest musical actors in Bridleway, she is also a talented prodigy that is certain to make your musical abilities to glow even more.”

“Then, presiding our Club of Activities, we have Professor Apple Bloom” Thistlewit said, while it was Apple Bloom’s time to step forward. “With so many of students coming, we have decided to come up with new ways to not only reinforce your talents, but also discover them. Professor Apple Bloom will be responsible for organizing constant activities, mainly to the youngest students, so that, even in your free time you can, not only have fun, but also learn.”

“And with the success that our flying derby team had last school year…” Merryweather started, making a pause to allow the more passionate students regarding the sport express their excitement and congratulate Star and Gunter “…coach Gideon decided to hire an assistant that not only will assist him in training the flying derby team, but also in other surprises that you all will discover very soon. Please, welcome the new flying derby assistant coach, Scoolaloo!”

And she also moved forward, being the one to get more ovations, much to her glad.

“Now, we hope that, in the same way we’re going to help you integrate quickly in our academy, you do the same to our new teachers” Knotgrass said. “That all of you have a great year.”

And so she finished, along with the reception. The students soon started to move along, preparing to go to their respective rooms.

“Hey, girls, you can come with me and Galena” Moonlight said to Midnight, Sunny and Silver Wind. “You can get your dorm keys and we can get you to your rooms to settle in.”

“Yay!” the fillies replied.

“That would be a great help, Moonlight” Star said to his marefriend, while he let Timber to go to the woods, where he would stay while he was in class.

Moonlight and Galena then took the twins and Silver Wind, while Star directed his look to Apple Bloom, Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo.

“Oh, oh, Ah know that look” Jonagold said. “What are ya thinkin’?”

“It’s nothing special” Star replied.

“Star, we know you” Bramble said. “We know that there’s something in your head.”

“No, it’s just I can’t keep wondering what led those three come teach here” Star said, still looking to the original Cutie Mark Crusaders.