• Published 18th Dec 2018
  • 779 Views, 4 Comments

Light and Darkness – The Shadow of Midnight - Rakoon1



It’s time to solve the mystery surrounding the two twin princesses of the Light Kingdom, a mystery that will put one of the twins on a path to overcome her own darkness in order to control her own power.

  • ...
2
 4
 779

Dancing at the Moonlight

The discovery that the mysterious creature was Silver Wind was a big of a shock to everypony. Seeing her like that was a shock even greater.

“Ah don’t understand” Apple Bloom said. “How can Silver Wind be dah creature?”

“Her dad is a pony-wolf” Star explain, while using his magic to hold the young filly after Apple Bloom called off her root and made her dreaming cloak disappear. “It’s logical to think that she inherited the trait.”

“It was amazing how you figured this out, Star” Moonlight said. “But how did you…”

“The claw marks were too small to be of any big creature that lives around here” Star explained. “Besides, I’ve already seen Shadow Claw’s pony-wolf claw. There was also the fact of not existing any signs of the creature outside the academy.”

“What suggested it was already inside” Moonlight concluded. “That makes sense.”

“Yeah, but how da hay did ya come tah dah conclusion it was Silver Wind?” Apple Bloom asked.

“It was only when I noticed that it was full moon” Star replied. “It was like a click to me. It made me remember how sick Silver Wind was feeling. It was her body preparing for her first transformation.”

At that moment, Sweetie Belle arrived, having been warned by Star who had sent a magical message to her and the headmistresses. Seeing her niece like that was a tremendous astonishment, but she didn’t let that happen.

“I can’t believe it…” Sweetie Belle said. “I mean, Shadow Claw told me and my sister this could happen, but… I should have seen this.”

“Don’t worry, Sweetie, we all miss’d it” Apple Bloom said. “Ah believe if it wasn’t for Star tah notice, somethin’ bad would have happen’d tah her.”

Soon after, the three headmistresses appeared. Despite having been warned about the fact Silver Wind had turned into a pony-wolf, they couldn’t help but be caught off-guard by her transformed.

“Oh my…” Knotgrass said. “It is really as you told us, Prince Star Knight.”

“Please, tell us you have a way to revert this” Sweetie Belle said. “I mean, revert the transformation of this night. I can’t watch my niece like this.”

“Don’t worry, Sweetie Belle, there is a way to revert a pony-wolf transformation” Thistlewit replied.

“At least, until the next transformation” Merryweather added.

“What will happen next night” Star said.

“Yes, but for now let’s focus in bringing this child back to her senses” Knotgrass said.

She made appear a small satchel bag where she took fairy dust that she poured on Silver Wind. Then she and the other headmistresses used their wands and the dust glowed, making the young unicorn to be engulfed in light. When that light disappeared, Silver Wind was back to normal and without her senses. It didn’t take long for her to start to awake.

“But… what happened?” she asked, confused. “What are you doing here? What am I doing here?”

Noticing her niece starting to get in panic, Sweetie Belle embraced her and told her:

“It’s okay, Silver. Everything will be okay.”

“I believe it’s for the best if Silver Wind went back to her room” Knotgrass said.

“Yes, and a cup of tea will calm her down” Thistlewit said. “She needs to be calm before we can explain what happened.”

“Well, I think Professor Sweetie Belle can take care of this” Star said. “I need some sleep after this.”

“Yes, you and Moonlight better go sleep” Merryweather said. “We also have to warn all the other students that stayed awake to patrol the halls that the problem is solved.”

Star and Moonlight nodded and then they moved away.

“Aunt Sweetie Belle, but what’s going on?” Silver Wind asked.

“Shhhh, my dear” Sweetie Belle said. “Everything will be okay.”

At the next day, at the cafeteria, Star was with his male friends, while looking to Silver Wind that was with his sisters. For the look on her, it appeared that Sweetie Belle told her what happened.

“It’s hard to believe that somepony like Silver Wind can turn into what caused all those damages” Bramble commented.

“It’s hard for newly turned to control their first transformations according to the books I’ve read about pony-wolves” Star explain.

“Poor thin’” Jonagold said. “Ah can’t imagine gettin’ tah know somethin’ like this in dah way she did.”

“I just hope the news don’t spread like fire” Star said. “It wouldn’t be good for Silver Wind.”

“Yeah, I wouldn’t count on that” Gunter replied, pointing to some students.

The others looked to them as well and noticed that they were talking, while looking to Silver Wind. That could only mean one thing: they already knew what happened.

“Oh scrap…” Star said.

At the twins and Silver Wind’s table, the latter was depressed after finding out she had turned into a pony-wolf. Sunny and Midnight (who were told by her of what happened) were trying to cheer her up.

“Come on, Silver Wind, don’t be like that” Midnight said.

“Yeah, I mean, your father is a pony-wolf, right?” Sunny told. “It can’t be that bad.”

At that moment, they heard an irritating laugh that came from a unicorn filly with a moderate violet coat with a jeweled ring and a bracelet as a Cutie Mark, a pale, light grayish tangelo mane and dark blue eyes. She was with two other fillies who stood slightly behind her.

“Look, girls, if it is not the mysterious creature of the academy” she said, in a mean way. “More like the mutt of the academy. Watch out, or else she will pass you some flees.”

The other fillies started to laugh as well, what left Silver Wind even more hurtful. Midnight was about to give the filly a piece of her mind, but Sunny prevented her, nodding her head to her and then told the filly:

“If you and your friends are so afraid of getting flees, then why don’t you go elsewhere, Atlanta. In that way, we don’t have to endure that nasty smell of yours.”

That clearly upset Atlanta who then said to her friends:

“Let’s go, girls. Cleary they need to go walk their dog.”

And they moved away.

“Ignore her, Silver Wind” Sunny said.

“Yeah, you know how shallow she is, just like her uncle Jet Set and aunt Upper Crust” Midnight said.

After she said that, Gallus and Gust appeared and the former said:

“Hey, I just got to know about last night. Wow, who knew the quiet one had that side.”

That caused the twins to give him a hard look.

“What?” he asked.

“I think I’m going for a walk” Silver Wind said, getting up and moving away.

“But we have Math soon” Sunny told her.

But Silver Wind didn’t answer and continued to move away. The twins and Gust both looked to Gallus who asked:

“Did I say something I shouldn’t have?”

“Gallus, we already talk about this, remember?” Gust said. “About measuring the words we say? You shouldn’t have said that to Silver Wind.”

“Okay, spill it up” Midnight said. “Who told you about Silver Wind?”

“We overheard some second-year students” Gust told. “Is that really truth?”

“Unfortunately, yes” Sunny said.

“But somehow all the academy got to know and only a hooffull of ponies knew and they wouldn’t spread the news that lightly” Midnight said. “Someone must have heard about it and care to tell everyone else. We need to know who did it.”

“Midnight, I don’t think it’s a good idea” Sunny said. “It won’t do any good now. Besides, how are you going to find out the source when it can be anyone in this big academy?”

“Oh, I will find out” Midnight said. “You can be sure of that. I can’t just let anycreature putting their noses where they don’t belong and spread secrets like that. I will find out who is the snitch and I’ll make sure they regret what they did.”

That caused Sunny to nod her head, while bringing her hoof to her forehead.

“Wow, and I was thinking Sunny was the weird twin” Gallus commented to Gust in a whisperer.

“What can I say, Midnight is very passionate when it comes to defend her friends” Gust said. “In a way, it suits her very well, but in another… she can be overprotective.”

Silver Wind run off from the academy, getting out of the building and going to a hidden place where there was a river. Reaching there, she sit there and started to cry. Little she knew she was being observed. At the river, something was watching her.

At Apple Bloom’s room, she and Scootaloo were talking when Sweetie Belle entered, holding a piece of parchment with her magic.

“I just received a message from Shadow Claw” she said. “He will try to come over when possible, but he told me to watch over Silver without disturbing her. Because he is not a normal pony-wolf after he got his powers back from the Lord of Order, he doesn’t know the full extension of her transformation. He wants to come over and talk with her.”

“Well, then, for now, I think that subject is under control” Scootaloo said. “What allows us to focus on other things.”

“I don’t know, girls” Sweetie Belle said. “I just don’t know if I can focus with my niece going through a hard time.”

“But, Sweetie, ya can’t forget that Rara is also countin’ on us” Apple Bloom said. “We have tah find a way tah bring her and all da others back.”

“You’re right…” Sweetie Belle admitted. “So, do any of you have any idea?”

“We have to go back to the place where they are being held prisioner” Scootaloo said.

“But how?” Apple Bloom asked. “We already tri’d doin’ that with our new powers.”

“There must be a way to reach that place…” Sweetie Belle said. “Perhaps with that dust. It worked with Rara, then maybe it works with us too.”

“But da problem is that we don’t know if it’s goin’ tah work on us and we don’t have that much of it left” Apple Bloom replied.

“We have to try it at least” Scootaloo said. “I can do it, if you want.”

“No, Scoots, we can’t risk losin’ da few dust we still have” Apple Bloom said. “Besides, we have tah focus on savin’ other talents as well.”

“Apple Bloom is right” Sweetie Belle said. “That is also part of our mission. Mainly now that we have our dreaming cloaks.”

At that moment, the Cutie Mark Crusaders were invaded by a feeling similar to the one they felt after Rara had her dream come true. However, it was different. It was like it was guiding them. They could feel a lot of dreams and talents around them, until only one remained and the image of Silver Wind appeared. After that, the feeling disappeared.

“Did ya guys jest felt that?” Apple Bloom asked.

“It was Silver Wind” Sweetie Belle said. “But what does this mean?”

“Well, our cloaks activate when we have a talent to save” Scootaloo said. “It’s obvious that talent is your niece.”

“If that’s true, then we have to find her” Sweetie Belle said. “I won’t let the talent thief take my niece.”

Silver Wind continued to cry at her hiding place. It was then that she decided to let all that sadness go away in the only way she knew. She got up and, just like that, she started to dance. It was something she did whenever she was upset as it helped her to clear her mind. As she did that, she started to feel a great deal of tranquility. Without even realize it, her horn started to glow and the same glow started to appear on her hooves.

Once that started to happen, the mysterious creature that was observing her started to approach and revealing itself. It was like a big crocodile, but made of rocks. When he was close enough, Silver Wind noticed it and screamed in fear. The crocodile was about to attack when something hit him hard and quickly, making him move backwards. That something was Sweetie Belle, who was using her dreaming cloak and had used her swift nature to attack the creature.

“Stay away from my niece” she said.

“Aunt Sweetie Belle?” Silver Wind asked. “What are you doing here?”

“Don’t mind that now, Silver” Sweetie Belle replied, as Apple Bloom and Scootaloo appeared as well, wearing their dreaming cloaks. “Just go take cover. We can handle this thing.”

Despite having too many questions on her mind, Silver Wind obeyed and went for cover.

“What is this creature?” Apple Bloom asked. “Ah’ve never seen anythin’ like it.”

“It must be one of the talent thief’s pawns” Scootaloo replied. “Just like those shadow creatures.”

“Whatever it is, we need to stop it” Sweetie Belle said.

The crocodile advanced towards the Cutie Mark Crusaders, but Apple Bloom used her wood nature to control the plants on the river to hold it.

“Now, Scootaloo!” she exclaimed.

“Cool!” Scootaloo said, while preparing her attack. “With that thing prevented from moving, I just need to aim.”

And so she casted her gale nature, directing her fluid lightning against the crocodile. It hit it hard.

“Bull’s eye!” Scootaloo exclaimed.

But it looked like the crocodile had not been affected that much. It get rid of the plants that were holding him and dived to the water.

“Where did he go?” Apple Bloom asked.

Scootaloo tried to spot the creature from above, but the fact it was mad of rocks made it impossible for her to find it.

“I can see it” she said.

“Don’t worry, I’ll lure it out” Sweetie Belle said. “It’s time to try out the combo Purple Smoke told me about.”

Having said that, she used her singing voice to create vibrations that she then intensify with her wind nature. The vibrations hit the river and, after a moment, the crocodile came out, roaring in pain. As soon he came out, Sweetie Belle casted a powerful wind that tossed the crocodile against some trees. The creature soon recovered and run away quickly.

“We have to go after it” Scootaloo said, preparing to go after the creature.

“No, that thin’ is clearly quick an’ strong” Apple Bloom said. “We would be in disadvantage in the woods.”

The young pegasus grunted in disappointment, but then she noticed something at the edge of the river. She landed and took the object. It was like a pocket watch with a bronze color with a swirl in the middle with a single hand/pointer. Instead of numbers it has geometrical shapes and a lid to protect the front.

“What is this?” she asked.

Deciding to talk with Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle later about that, Scootaloo kept the watch and went to their side. They made their cloaks disappear and Silver Wind, knowing the danger was now over, appeared and asked:

“But… what just happened? Where did the creature go?”

“Far away, we hope” Sweetie Belle answer. “But what are you doing here? Don’t you have classes?”

Silver Wind didn’t replied, but it was not necessary, as her aunt understood.

“You know, you can’t let other ponies tell you what you are” she told her. “And you can’t also ignore the fact that you are a pony-wolf.”

“Even if I’m scare of becoming a wild beast and attack my friends” Silver Wind said. “You all saw what I did to the academy during my transformation.”

“That was your first transformation” Sweetie Belle said. “I talked to your father and he said that is normal to newly turned pony-wolves. Don’t worry, he is coming and he will help you control the transformation.”

“My dad… is coming?” Silver Wind asked.

“Yes, so there’s no need to run away and hide. If he can control his pony-wolf side, so can you.”

Those words really comforted Silver Wind, who smiled and then said, while hugging Sweetie Belle:

“Thank you, aunt Sweetie Belle.”

Later that day, Cozy Glow was at her room cleaning when Midnight came in, along with Sunny.

“Oh, hi, roomie” Cozy Glow greeted with her usual overly sweet voice. “I’ve just cleaned the room. I know how you tend to forget to do it.”

“Cut the act, Cozy” Midnight said. “We know what you did.”

“What do you mean?” Cozy Glow, using her innocent look.

“You’re the one that spread the word about Silver Wind being a pony-wolf and that was her who was wandering and damaging the academy” Midnight said.

That caused Cozy Glow to become nervous. She then said:

“I… I don’t know what you’re talking about.”

“Don’t play innocent” Midnight said. “I investigated and all the leads came to you. What also makes sense, since you must have heard when Sunny told me about it.”

“Please, Cozy, just tell us the truth” Sunny said, with less hostility than her twin. “I know you have an explanation for that.”

Cozy got even more nervous, but eventually she decided it was for the best to confess. She sighed and then told:

“You’re right, it was me.”

“I knew it!” Midnight exclaimed. “I knew you were not trustworthy.”

“Calm down, Midnight, let her explain” Sunny said, turning then to Cozy. “Why did you do it?”

“It was not my intention to cause any harm” Cozy Glow said. “It’s just… I know that Silver Wind’s dad is a hero from the war. After all, he led the command unit and was responsible for the first victory to the Alliance. I thought that, if everypony got to know she was like him, they would admire her and celebrate her accomplishment.”

“Yeah, right, as if we’re going to believe…” Midnight started.

“Oh, that was so sweet of you!” Sunny exclaimed.

“Really?” Midnight asked to her twin.

“Come on, sis, you have to admit that Cozy had good intentions when she did this” Sunny told. “It’s not her fault that the other students are mean and cruel… mainly that Atlanta. Oh, how I hate that filly!”

Midnight couldn’t believe on that. Once again, Cozy Glow had made herself look innocent again and that really let her really frustrated.

It was sunset and Shadow Claw had arrived and was with her daughter at the inner garden of the academy. The Cutie Mark Crusaders were also there, watching from afar.

“Dad, I’m scared of this” Silver Wind confessed to her father.

“I understand” Shadow Claw said. “Change can be scary, but I can reassure you that this one is not to be afraid of once you learn to control it. Look at me, I’m a pony-wolf and I can perfectly control it.”

“Yeah, but you’re an alpha” Silver Wind said.

“And so are you. You are my daughter, Silver. You have my blood. But you’re too young and these have been your first transformations. In time, you’ll learn to control it, until you can turn whenever you want.”

“Yeah, but, in the meanwhile, I’ll keep turning into a savage beast.”

There was a pause and Shadow Claw looked at the sky, where the full moon was starting to appear. Looking at it, he remembered the first time he turned, back when the Lord of Chaos cursed him to be a pony-wolf and a servant of his.

“You know, I also had problems to control my pony-wolf form back in the day” he told. “But soon I found out a way that helped me to control it.”

“Really?” Sweetie Belle asked. “What?”

“I just thought of something that could clear my mind, that helped me focus” Shadow Claw said. “To me, it was the focus of creating an army for the Lord of Chaos. I know, it is not a good example to share, but it was what worked with me. Perhaps it can work with you too.”

“But I don’t know what can possibly clear my mind” Silver Wind said.

“We may help you with that” Sweetie Belle said, while she and the others approach. “Before that thing attacked you, we saw you dancing, Silver, and it was marvelous.”

“My dance?” she asked. “But that’s something I do for fun.”

“Well, you’re really good at it” Scootaloo said. “And I know what I’m talking about.”

“Ya probably didn’t notic’d it, but yer magic really react’d tah yer dance” Apple Bloom said.

“It did?” Silver Wind asked.

The Cutie Mark Crusaders nodded.

“Why don’t you give a chance?” Sweetie Belle asked. “If dancing is what you do for fun, then it may help you clear your mind.”

“And even if it doesn’t work, we’ll be here” Scootaloo told.

Silver Wind look to her dad who gave her an encouraging look. She then took a deep breath and then advanced, preparing herself to dance. She looked at the sky, as the sunlight was starting to fade and the full moon became even clearer. Silver started to dance.

It started a little cautious, but eventually, the fun and happiness she was feeling started to invade her and it didn’t take long for her to let herself go with the dance. It didn’t take long for her horn to start glowing, and the same happened with her hooves. Some students who were passing by stopped and started to watch her. Between the students, were Star, Moonlight, Galena, Gunter, Bramble and Jonagold, and also Gallus, Gust, Midnight and Sunny. Some teachers like the headmistresses also appeared there.

It was then that the sunlight disappeared completely, letting only the moon illuminating the night sky. Shadow Claw changed into his pony-wolf and the same happened with Silver Wind, but her transformation was made when she made a big jump, what caused everyone to let out a sound of amazement, mainly after what came next. As Silver Wind continued to dance, she started to release her glow that now trailed her movements, while releasing an immense glow to the air.

She finished and, once she did it, everyone started to applaud her. It was at that moment that Silver Wind noticed everypony and then that she was transformed. She had done it. She had turned into her pony-wolf form and was in control.

Better than that, she had found her love for dance, something that once was only done for fun and now she felt that was a part of her. At the moment she realized that, she felt a flash on her flank and look at it, seeing nothing more than her Cutie Mark: a swirl of silver glow. A joyful smile appeared on her face when she saw it.

The Cutie Mark Crusaders look at her, happy and proud of her, but also of their work. Not only they managed to protect Silver Wind from being taken, they also helped her find her true talent.

Suddenly, they start to hear a tic-tac coming from Scootaloo who them remembered the watch she had taken back at the river and took it out, open it. The single pointer started to move anticlockwise.