• Published 18th Dec 2018
  • 777 Views, 4 Comments

Light and Darkness – The Shadow of Midnight - Rakoon1



It’s time to solve the mystery surrounding the two twin princesses of the Light Kingdom, a mystery that will put one of the twins on a path to overcome her own darkness in order to control her own power.

  • ...
2
 4
 777

The Return of Neverland

Outside the jewel, the ones near it could see that it returned to its normal purple color.

“What do you think is happening in there?” Scootaloo asked.

“Ah don’t know but Ah think we should search a way tah get Midnight out” Apple Bloom replied.

“But wouldn’t that also bring the Shadow back?” Scootaloo asked.

“I think it’s worth the risk” Sweetie Belle said.

“But… how will us do that?” Sunny asked, while taking the mane clip. “Sealing spells are supposed to be strong, right?”

Apple Bloom turned around and jumped to Tiger Lily’s edge, who was supervising the departing of the kidnapped talents, opening portals to them with the magic watch, while her father poured the talents with pixie dust so they could pass. Arriving when she was opening the portals to Rara, Night Glide and Coco Pommel, she asked to her, as they passed their portals:

“Tiger Lily, we need yer help. Princess Midnight is trapp’d inside dah jewel ov her mane clip. We need a way tah get her out. Do ya know how tah do it?”

“The reason why I requested Princess Midnight’s help was precisely because to ensure the Shadow would never get out” Tiger Lily said. “Because her magic is completely dark, it can’t be disrupted by anything.”

“That’s not entirely true” the Shaman said, joining the conversation. “My daughter, you’ve forgot that, much like Princess Midnight’s magic is all dark, Princess Sunlight’s is all light. Darkness and Light are forces of equal and opposite power that can nullify each other.”

“Of course!” Tiger Lily exclaimed. “I’ve forgotten about that.”

“So, what yer sayin’ is that Sunny is dah only one that can undo dah sealin’ spell?” Apple Bloom asked.

They nodded with their heads. Sunny, Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle approached them and the former said:

“I have to… free Midnight?”

Apple Bloom turned to her and said:

“Sunny, only ya have dah power to break dah sealin’ spell yer sister cast’d. But don’t worry, we’ll be here tah support ya.”

“Yeah, and if that nasty Shadow comes along, you can be certain we’ll make sure she doesn’t do anything bad” Scootaloo reassured.

“We’ll be here for you” Sweetie Belle added.

Despite the anxiety she was feeling for the responsibility of having to free her sister, Sunny filled herself with courage, took a deep breath and said:

“I’ll do it.”

The Crusaders got very happy with her response and Sweetie Belle said:

“Okay, let’s go free Midnight.”

“I’m sorry, Sweetie Belle, but I fear I can’t let you do that” a voice replied.

They all turned and saw Hook, appearing with a dark look.

“Hook…” Sweetie Belle said. “What do you mean with that?”

“What I mean is that I can’t let you allow that inconvenience to get out” Hook said, gesturing towards the mane clip.

“If you’re talking about the Shadow, I think we can handle her” Scootaloo said.

“Oh, I’m talking about the Shadow and Tinkerbell” Hook replied, while moving forward a few steps. “The two of them were obstacles to my grand plan.”

“What do you mean with that…” Sweetie Belle started, not liking the way things were going.

It was then that, behind Hook, Smee and the zombie pirates appeared.

“What are those guys doing here?” Scootaloo asked. “I thought they have run away.”

“Looks like old Captain Hook has gathered his crew once again” the Shaman observed.

“Captain?” the Crusaders and Sunny repeated.

“Hook is the captain of the pirates that live at the other side of the island” Tiger Lily replied. “They are the troublemakers, always trying to take over.”

The Crusaders, specially Sweetie Belle, were caught by surprise with that.

“Yes, and I could have done it if Tinkerbell hadn’t let herself be possessed by the Shadow” Hook said. “She banished me once she saw that I wouldn’t bow to her, so I had to come up with a plan in order to return and defeat her. I thought that by getting one of the watches I would have the advantages, but to defeat the Shadow and her minions I needed some… help.”

“So you… used us?” Sweetie Belle asked, not wanting to believe. “You used me?”

“Don’t be so shocked, Sweetie Belle” Hook said. “After all, your alicorn friend had warned you, didn’t he? You should have listened to him. Thanks to you and all the others, Tinkerbell and the Shadow are both sealed and now there’s nopony that can stop me from taking over Neverland.”

“That’s what ya think, ya rascal…” Apple Bloom said, as she and Scootaloo prepared themselves to attack.

But before any of them could act, Hook took out the bell he had collected and rang it, while saying:

“I don’t think so…”

Once the bell was rang, everypony started to feel the painful effect of its sonic waves.

“Oh no…” Tiger Lily said. “He took Tinkerbell’s bell… The one the Shadow lost during our battle with her…”

“We have to do something” Scootaloo said. “I don’t know how long I can stand this…”

“That’s amazing, captain!” Smee told. “You’ve really subdued them all.”

“I know that, Smee” Hook replied. “Now, what do you all think in taking this scallywags to our ship and make them walk the plank?”

“Yeah!” the pirates shouted. “Captain Hook! Captain Hook!”

While trying to stand the power of the bell, Sweetie Belle couldn’t help but feeling betrayed. She had trusted in Hook and he broke that trust in the worst way possible. She should have listened to Star and never let her guard down. However, looking to her friends in great need, she knew she couldn’t let that continued. Finding the strength she still had, Sweetie Belle started to stand up, while saying:

“No… You won’t get what you want…”

“I can see that you still have some energy left” Hook observed. “Perhaps with a little more pressure will fall to your knees and keep that way.”

And he rang the bell another time. Sweetie Belle felt the pain being increased even more.

“It’s useless resisting, Sweetie Belle” Hook told. “I know your tricks and, even with a dreaming cloak, you can’t use your powers with the pain that you’re feeling. There’s nothing you can do.”

And he laughed, along with his pirates. However, those laughs taunting Sweetie Belle only caused her to become even more determined to do anything to stop Hook and his pirates. Suddenly, her locket, the one that possessed her green magical pearl started glowing. Noticing that, and have heard from Moonlight what happened during her trip to Tambelon, Sweetie Belle said:

“You’re wrong about one thing, Hook. You don’t know all of my tricks.”

She touched her locket and proclaimed:

“Green pearl voice!”

And a green voice came out of the pearl and it involced Sweetie Belle, all while rising her above the effects of the bell. Hook and his pirates were caught of surprise by that, as well as the others. When the light disappeared, Sweetie Belle appeared, looking much like how Moonlight looked when she transformed, with webbed ears and fin-shaped wings, only that hers were sea green.

“What is this sorcery?!” Hook asked. “What did you do?!”

“The dreaming cloak is only one of my strengths” Sweetie Belle said. “Now, it’s time for you to get to know the power that allows my Thirteenth Note to reach its peak.”

Closing her eyes, Sweetie Belle focused all of her Thirtheenth Note power in her voice and started to sing a song with all her heart.

As she sang, the pirates suddenly found themselves involved in a mysterious pain that prevented them from doing anything. The zombie pirates returned to their original forms and the effects of the bell disappeared, liberating the others from its effect.

“No…” Hook said, while trying to use the bell again, but without success.

Seeing that nothing was working and how his crew was being subdued, Hook saw that there was only one thing he could do.

“Retreat!” he shouted to his pirates.

They all then turned around and run away. Hook prepared himself to do the same, but before doing that, turned to his enemies and said:

“This is not the end.”

When he was about to follow his crew, a vine came from the ground and grabbed the bell and took it from Hook.

“No!” he exclaimed, trying to grab it.

But the vine returned to Apple Bloom and gave the bell to her.

“Ah’m sorry, but Ah can’t let ya have somethin’ that is not yers” she replied.

Irritated for what Apple Bloom did, Hook didn’t want nothing more than make her pay for her insolence, however he was in disadvantaged and thought the best he could do was go away for now and so she did.

After the pirate captain was away, Sweetie Belle descended and returned to normal. Once she did that, Scootaloo exclaimed:

“That… was… totally awesome!”

“Yeah, Sweetie, we didn’t know ya could do somethin’ like that” Apple Bloom said.

“Moonlight once told me that she was able to activate the power of her pearl” Sweetie Belle told. “I thought I also could do that as well. I just needed to wait for the ideal moment.”

“And it was a nice time for you discover that power of yours” Tiger Lily said. “You saved us from Captain Hook.”

“I just can’t believe he betrayed me like that” Sweetie Belle said. “And I can’t believe I was not able to get him.”

“Don’t worry” the Shaman said. “We’ve dealt with him and his pirates for a long time. We can handle him too.”

“Now I think you have more important things to think off” Tiger Lily replied, motioning to Midnight’s mane clip.

She was right. They needed to free Midnight as soon as possible. Turning to Sunny, Apple Bloom said:

“Sunny, now it’s up tah ya. Ya have tah free yer sister.”

“I know” Sunny told. “I will do it, even if that means bringing the Shadow as well.”

Placing carefully the mane clip on the ground, Sunny focused on her wish to free her sister. Magic started to flow on her horn, but it seemed she couldn’t do it. She wasn’t strong enough, her wish to free her sister wasn’t strong enough. It was then that she remembered the sacrifice Midnight did only to save her.

That act only showed the love she had for her, so Sunny knew she had to show the same love Midnight had presented to her. While thinking of all the great moments they did together, her magic started to get even stronger, adopting a more radiant look that left everypony speechless. She then casted a beam of magic to the jewel of the mane clip and it then started to release a bright light and from it appeared Midnight and Tinkerbell.

“I can’t believe it actually worked!” Scootaloo exclaimed.

“Of course it did” Apple Bloom said. “Ah didn’t doubt fer a second.”

Seeing her twin, Sunny exclaimed:

“Midnight!”

She hugged and her and said:

“I’m so happy that you’re here!”

“Me too” Midnight said. “I saw everything. You really did save me.”

“I just returned to gesture” Sunny said. “Besides, what are twins for?”

Midnight giggled and replied:

“You’re right about that.”

Sunny then extended the mane clip to Midnight who took it and placed it back on her mane.

Tiger Lily and the Shaman approached Tinkerbell and the latter said:

“Your Majesty… It’s really you… You’re back!”

“Yes, I am” Tinkerbell said. “I just hope everyone can forgive me for everything that I’ve caused.”

“It was not your fault” Tiger Lily said. “The Shadow was controlling you.”

“Yes, but now everything is fine” Shaman said. “You’re free.”

“And all thanks to Midnight” Tinkerbell said, looking to the young filly. “She made a great sacrifice in order to protect the ones she loved… and also she released me from the Shadow using only sheer determination and the light that was inside of her heart.”

“I just did what I think I needed to do” Midnight said.

“Well, just for you to know… I think you did more than that” Scootaloo said.

“What do you mean with that?” Midnight asked, curious.

Scootaloo signed to Midnight’s flank and she looked and noticed that she had a Cutie Mark. It was a moon in a yin-yang-like eclipse.

“I… I can’t believe it…” Midnight said, with a smile full of joy appeared on her face. “I got my Cutie Mark!”

“I’m so happy for you, Midnight” Sunny said, hugging her twin.

“When you proved that you can still do good with your dark magic, that Cutie Mark appeared” Tinkerbell said. “It is more than just a proof that you’ve found your true talent. It’s the proof that your status as a Dark Twin doesn’t define who you are. You should be proud of it.”

“Yes… I think you’re right, Your Majesty” Midnight said. “And I will.”

“And you should also be proud, Princess Sunlight” Tinkerbell said. “Thanks to you, both me and your sister are free. Not only that, your light magic also improved.”

“Thank you, Your Majesty” Sunny thanked.

“So, what now?” Scootaloo asked. “Is it mission accomplished?”

“Despite the Shadow was defeated and Hook and his pirates are under control for now, Neverland is still… well, like this” the Shaman said. “Not only that, but it is still sealed.”

“I think we can deal with that” Tinkerbell said. “I just need my bell…”

“Here, Ah took it from Hook” Apple Bloom said, extending the bell to Tinkerbell.

She took it and then turned to Sunny and told her:

“I may need your help, Princess Sunlight. Your light magic and wood nature are what I need to do what I want to do.”

“You can count on me” she replied. “But how can I help.”

“This tree where we stand, is much more than just the place where I live” Tinkerbell replied. “This is the Tree of Life, the heart of Neverland. Whatever happens to it, it also happens to the real. If we can revive it, then we’ll be able to revive Neverland.”

“And how do we do that?” Sweetie Belle asked.

“Normally, when damages are inflicted to the Tree of Life, I just heal them using my bell” Tinkerbell replied. “But damages this big… I’ll need extra help. That’s where Princess Sunlight gets in. Her talent with plants allows her to connect with them and, with her light magic, the magic of my bell will be increased in a way that may revive it.”

“I hope I can do it” Sunny said.

“I’m sure you will” Midnight reassured. “You’ve already freed me and Queen Tinkerbell from my mane clip.”

Motivated by her twin’s incentive, Sunny nodded and then advanced towards Tinkerbell and said:

“I’m ready, Your Majesty.”

“Well, whenever you want then” Tinkerbell said, making an inviting gesture.

Focusing and remembering everything that allowed her to unlock her light magic, Sunny charged her horn who didn’t take too long to adopt the same bright light it had when casting the spell to counter Midnight’s sealing spell. She pointed to bellow her hooves, to the Tree of Life and let that same light touch it. The all tree then started to glow with the same light. It seemed it was working.

“And know, it’s my turn” Tinkerbell said, while starting to ring her bell.

The bell unleashed some yellow powder that looked like…

“Wait, that’s pixie dust?” Scootaloo asked.

“Yes, the yellow pixie dust can be used to heal” Tiger Lily replied.

The pixie dust fell on the Tree of Life and it only shone brighter. It was then that, for their amazement, the branches and the trunk regained their healthy color and the branches were filled with leaves and flowers. But was not the end. With the tree now revived, the rest was also revived. The forest, that was at that time only made of gloomy dead-looking trees, was filled with vegetation: grass, flowers, leaves… The sky, that was filled with dark clouds, was cleared and the sun could once again shine.

The shadows that were lurking there, when touched by the sun, instead of disappearing, were turned into ponies that looked like Tiger Lily and the Shaman and also young foals. They both were very happy for being returned to normal.

“Amazing…” the Crusaders sighed, admiring the beauty of Neverland.

Sunny stopped using her magic, becoming very tired because of that. Fortunately Midnight was there to support her.

Taking a deep breath, Tinkerbell said:

“It feels so good to feel the fresh air of Neverland.”

“My queen, do you think that…” the Shaman started.

“Yes, I can sense that…” Tinkerbell replied. “Neverland has reconnected itself to the Dream World. The seal… is off.”

“That’s great!” Apple Bloom exclaimed. “It means everythin’ is fine.”

“All thanks to all of you” Tinkerbell said. “Each of you made this day possible. Thank you very much.”

It was then flashes of light appeared. They were coming from the Cutie Marks of the Crusaders and Midnight.

“Our Cutie Marks…” Sweetie Belle said.

“They’re glowing” Scootaloo observed.

“But… what does it mean?” Midnight asked.

“Ah think it means… that our mission is complet’d” Apple Bloom replied.

“Finally!” Scootaloo exclaimed. “I was starting to think this mission would never end.”

“So… what now?” Sweetie Belle asked.

“How about going home?” Tinkerbell asked. “You’ve already done enough for a day.”

“But Hook and his pirates are still…” Sweetie Belle started.

“I understand how betrayed you may feel about Hook, Sweetie Belle, but right now he is stranded” Tinkerbell said.

“How about the watches?” Scootaloo asked. “Smee has one.”

“Not anymore” Tiger Lily said, while showing the watch that Smee used to have. “During the struggle, I was able to take it. That weakling needs to find a new place to hide his things that is not his hat.”

“Their only way to get out of Neverland is through the one portal that Purple Smoke left open and is out of reach to them” Tinkerbell told.

“And you don’t have to worry about Cragadile” the Shaman said. “If the Queen demands it, he returns the watch.”

“Well, it does appear we don’t have any more things tah do” Apple Bloom said. “An’ it would be nice tah return home.”

“Yeah, with the school year ending, I’m really needing to rest” Scootaloo said.

“And so do we” Midnight said, with Sunny nodding in agreement.

Tinkerbell smiled and said:

“I’m glad for all of you. Before you go, I want you to keep the watch that brought you. Give it to the princess of the Light Kingdom and her Generals. They may need it to travel to other sealed realms when the time comes.”

They nodded and, so, when they were ready, Apple Bloom extended the watch and opened the portal. The Crusaders crossed it, followed by Midnight and Sunny, who needed to take some of pixie dust.

Back at Mirrored Library, Mirror Coat was arranging some books. After placing the last one he had with him, he exclaimed:

“Finally! I’ve organized all the updated information that has accumulated. Centuries of accumulated information and all I needed was a decade and a half to put it together. Now I can relax.”

At that moment, the ground of the library started to shake.

“What… is this?”

After a few moments, Mirror Coat realized what was happening.

“No… No, no, no, no… Not now!”

And a rain of books happened, with them pilling up in new piles around the library. Mirror Coat took one of them and, after observing it, said:

“Neverland was unsealed. That means the girls made it. That’s great. But it also means that I have centuries of information to organize again.”

After sighing, he said:

“At least it’s information of one realm. Well… I better start it.”