• Published 18th Dec 2018
  • 767 Views, 4 Comments

Light and Darkness – The Shadow of Midnight - Rakoon1



It’s time to solve the mystery surrounding the two twin princesses of the Light Kingdom, a mystery that will put one of the twins on a path to overcome her own darkness in order to control her own power.

  • ...
2
 4
 767

Returning Home

In the present…

After the kingdom of Tambelon was saved bravely by Twilight, her family and her friends, they all returned to Equestria at one of the ships that Queen Nova had borrowed to the saviors of her kingdoms. After a few days of traveling with the ship making a slight detour around the Isle of Dread to avoid the pony-eater Quintaped and making a stop at Allegro Shine’s island, they finally arrived to Equestria, docking in the nautical port at the edge of Las Pegasus.

They said goodbye to the Tambelon guards who had taken them home and watched them sailing away before they proceeded their way. Twilight’s friends (which included Moonlight and Thorax) returned back to Ponyville, catching the Friendship Express. However, Twilight, Blue and Star headed to Canterlot to talk to Princess Celestia and Princess Luna regarding what happened in Tambelon.

After telling how they stopped the Smooze and the Dark Mistress by aborting both their plan to cover the Pony World and Tempest’s destructive duty, Celestia said:

“Well, that’s quite a tale. I never expected to hear about the General of Destruction and that her awakening would happen in Tambelon.”

“At least, Tambelon is now free from Evil” Luna replied, directing then to Twilight and Star. “You both honored Star Shield with that act. Now, his name is cleared.”

“Thank you for your kind words, Princess Luna” Twilight replied, as she and Star bowed respectfully their heads.

“But I’m intrigued and worried about that Tempest Shadow” Celestia said. “What if she turns again into the General of Destruction and activates her power?”

“You don’t have to worry, Princess Celestia” Blue told. “I trust in Time Turned and Bright Night to take care of her. Besides, if she ever comes close to wake up her power, I will sense it as the guardian of one of the talismans.”

Relieved, Celestia took a deep breath and then said:

“I have to say I am quite surprise on the events on Tambelon. I never expected for Princess Aurora to appear through you, Twilight.”

“I think the proper word to describe this is unimaginable” Luna said. “How could it be that Princess Aurora could ever appear?”

“I don’t know that exactly” Twilight said. “But, according to her, Gentle Light had casted on her the Reincarnation Blessing, as a way to preserve her soul.”

“I see…” Celestia said. “We’re a little familiar with that blessing. Our teacher, Star Swirld the Bearded mentioned it to us during our studies. Nopony, with the exception of the General of Death, never truly comprehended the true nature of it.”

There was a pause and then Twilight said:

“Princess Celestia, Princess Luna, if you don’t mind, we wanted to return to the Light Kingdom. It has been a long time since we parted to Tambelon and we wanted to reunite with the twins.”

“But of course, Twilight, you didn’t have to say anything about it” Celestia said. “What I need to do now is sending a message to Queen Nova. It’s time for Equestria and Tambelon return to their former alliance. Besides, I’m pretty sure she will want to join the Alliance. We were really needing new blood.”

Despite have been formed to fight the Lord of Chaos and his followers at the war for the tailed beasts, the Alliance was kept as a way to ensure the peace between the kingdoms in it, mainly the ones belonging to the Enchanted Forest.

Twilight, Star and Blue were walking through the corridors with the latter saying:

“Perhaps we could visit my parents and yours, Twily, as we’re in Canterlot, even if for a little while.”

“That would be very nice, Blue, but don’t forget we don’t see the twins for some days” Twilight said. “I wanted to see if they’re okay.”

“Of course they’re okay, mom, they’re with the Generals” Star replied. “And I told Timber to watch over them.”

“Yes, I know that, but a mom always worries about her children” Twilight said. “You’ll understand what I’m talking about when you get to be a father, Star.”

“Come on, Twily, it won’t hurt just a few more hours” Blue said. “Besides, you know how our families always get happy for seeing us, as we don’t have that much time with all the work we have.”

That made Twilight reconsider and so they went to visit Twilight’s parents, who lived closer to the castle and then Blue’s. After that, they teleported together to the Light Kingdom. There, they were received with great enthusiasm by their subjects. Arriving to the castle, the six Generals were there to receive them, along with the twins, Sunlight Blaze and Midnight Shine, and Timber, Star’s pet timberwolf.

“Welcome back, Your Highnessess” Golden said, while he and the other Generals bowed to them.

“Mommy! Daddy! Star!” the twins called at the same time, as they advanced to them to hug them.

“We missed you” Sunny said.

“We’re starting to think you wouldn’t come back” Midnight said.

“Come on, girls, as if that would ever happen” Blue told to his daughters.

“You don’t have to worry anymore” Twilight replied. “The most important thing is that we’re back and well. And the same goes to you two. I’m relieved to see that you’re okay too.”

“I just hope you didn’t cause any mischief” Star said. “Have you been at my room by any chance? I know how you two like my mirror.”

“Don’t worry, Star, we didn’t do it” Sunlight said. “Despite Midnight wanted to break in anyway.”

“Hey, it was supposed to be a secret between us!” Midnight replied.

That caused Star to chuckle. He knew that, despite his little sisters’ occasional arguing, they were pretty close.

Timber then approached and went to jump to his owner, pushing him to the ground and starting to lick him. Laughing from all the tickles he was having, the young prince said to his pet timberwolf:

“Okay, okay, Timber, I get it. You missed me. Stop, please.”

Obedient, Timber stopped and sat, with his tong out and waving his tail. Star pet his head, while saying:

“Yeah, I know, you’re good boy. You took well care of the twins.”

“We played a lot with Timber” Sunny said. “But there’s one time Midnight had one of her magic urges and…”

“Sunny, don’t tell that to Star!” Midnight exclaimed. “Why do you have to be such a… blabbermouth?”

“Come on, girls, don’t fight” Star said. “Whatever have happened, don’t forget Timber can regenerate.”

He then noticed on a mane clip that Midnight had on her mane. It had a butterfly-shape and a dark purple bottom-shaped jewel at the body of the butterfly.

“Is that new?” Star asked his little sister.

“Yes, Heartbeat gave it to me” she answered.

“Heartbeat also gave me a lovely bracelet, but I prefer to use it in special occasions” Sunny replied. “I think I wouldn’t dare to use it daily.”

It was then that Star noticed his mother who headed towards Purple Smoke. Making sure their talk was discreet, she asked:

“So, tell me, how did the girls’ magic while we were on Tambelon? Did it had some improvements?”

“Both of them have great potential” the General of Talent replied. “However, in terms of control, Princess Sunlight is more skillful than Princess Midnight. Her control, regarding more complex spells continues to be quite different from Princess Sunlight’s.”

“If I may…” Heartbeat said, appearing beside Purple Smoke. “I may have a theory about that.”

“Hey, can you see Princess Twilight was talking to me?” Purple Smoke asked the little General.

“Yeah, I can see that, but I can complete your report regarding Midnight” Heartbeat replied.

“What do you have to say, Heartbeat?” Twilight asked.

“Well, you see, Midnight’s very nature is incompatible with her magic” she replied. “The fact she is too kind and haven’t embrace her magic is the reason why she can’t control it.”

“I hate to say it, but this time you surpassed me, little sis” Purple Smoke said.

“Please, don’t be too hard on yourself, Purple” Heartbeat replied. “This predicament is part emotional and I am the General of Affection. But, regarding that part, I believe we don’t have anything to worry about for now. I put a charm on her mane clip so it can help her control her own emotions.”

“That’s good…” Twilight said, a little more relieved. “Thank you, Heartbeat. You too, Purple Smoke. Please, keep me updated.”

And the two made a bow to her and moved away. It was then that Star approached Twilight and told her:

“Mom, you need to tell them.”

“What do you mean, Star?” Twilight asked.

“Don’t pretend you don’t know” Star said. “I’m talking about what happened when the twins were born.”

Twilight was caught by surprise when Star said that. She and Blue, along with the Generals, made sure nopony, including Star would ever know what happened that day. The fact her son knew was a complete surprise. She could deny it, but Twilight had learned to never try hide anything or lie to Star.

“How do you… For how long?”

“For some time” Star told. “Don’t worry, I have my own ways to know what happened, so you don’t have to question dad, the Generals or anyone else. But that’s not important right now. You have to tell the twins what happened, mom.”

“No, I can’t do that to them” Twilight said. “They’re too young.”

“They’re nine, almost ten, mom” Star said. “And I was ten when you told me I was a jinchuriki… or rather, when you were forced to tell me. Remember that?”

How could Twilight ever forget. That was the first time Star got ever mad at her.

“Mom, if you don’t want them to know the truth in the way I did, then you have to tell them” Star told Twilight.

Despite her mother instinct was appealing to her to not do it, Star’s appeal and reason made her think about the possibility of the twins know the truth in the hardest way and be mad at her like Star did, mainly Midnight. He was right, the twins needed to know the truth…