• Published 18th Dec 2018
  • 777 Views, 4 Comments

Light and Darkness – The Shadow of Midnight - Rakoon1



It’s time to solve the mystery surrounding the two twin princesses of the Light Kingdom, a mystery that will put one of the twins on a path to overcome her own darkness in order to control her own power.

  • ...
2
 4
 777

Sealed Potentials

At the Mirrored Library, Twilight was exasperated after seeing how mad Midnight was when she had got out. It was just like how it happened Star years ago.

“I can’t believe this is happening again” she was saying while walking around. “Midnight was really angry at us. And I can’t blame her. I would also be mad at myself because of this.”

“Calm down, Twily” Blue said, approaching his wife. “Everything will be all right. Even when it was with Star, he eventually forgave us. Besides, the circumstances are very different.”

“I know but…” Twilight said. “Well, you know me, I don’t like when my children are upset with me.”

“Well, mom, Midnight is not the only one” Sunny told. “I’m also mad with you for you having hid this from us. I may have not storm off like Midnight did, but that may be to the fact you didn’t tell her she had dark magic inside.”

“It’s okay, Sunny” a voice said. “I’m not mad anymore.”

They all looked and saw Sunny approaching.

“Sunny…” Twilight and Blue said at the same time.

“Yeah, I could have said the little princess was coming, but I thought I shouldn’t interrompt” Mirror Coat said.

Twilight went to give her a hug and then asked:

“You meant what you said? You’re not mad.”

“I was a little ago, but I have a little help” Midnight replied.

“From who?” Blue asked.

“Star” she replied. “He told me how he felt when he found out he was a jinchuriki and that you only didn’t tell him so he could be happy. The knowledge of that fact would make him unhappy while growing up.”

“Well, I didn’t thought about that” Sunny said, approaching as well.

“Yeah, me neither” Midnight told. “It’s strange… it’s like he knew I needed help.”

Hearing that, Golden Paladin became intrigued. It didn’t take too long for him to realize what made that happen.

“So you only didn’t tell us so we could be happy?” Sunny asked to her parents.

“The fact that you didn’t know allowed you two to become as close as twins can be” Twilight said. “Also, unlike how it happened with Star, only a few ponies know about you two being Twins of Light and Darkness, besides us.”

“But, still, we have some many questions” Sunny said. “Well, at least, I have many. What are really Twins of Light and Darkness besides their definition? What does that have to be between us two?”

“Does that mean I will become evil because of my dark magic?” Midnight asked.

“Why couldn’t the Lord of Order do anything about it?” Sunny asked. “I thought he was supposed to be the most powerful being of all.”

“Calm down, girls” Twilight said. “Not so many questions or we may not be able to answer them.”

“Then why not let the rest of the book be played” Mirror Coat replied, motioning to the book that was at the Observer.

“Great, another movie by book” Purple Smoke said. “If only we had popcorns. Where is Heartbeat when we need her?”

The book inside the Observer opened again and projected the big screen that started to show the continuation of the scene that has been previously shown.

Almost ten years ago…

After hearing what Golden Paladin had said, Twilight started to panic.

“What do you mean by that, Golden?! Are you saying one of my dear daughters have dark magic in her!”

“Technically, she already had, but the light magic in her was balancing it, but now…” Golden Paladin started.

“But now things have changed” Celestia said, taking over Golden Paladin’s explanation. “But that doesn’t mean what you’re thinking, Twilight.”

“Princess Celestia is right” the Lord of Order said. “The meaning of Dark Twin is that he or she only has dark magic inside. But that is not what makes them evil. Dark magic is not evil, but rather powerful and corruptive. The trick is dealing with it with cation, or else it can consume you led you into a dark path.”

“But, can’t you correct this, my lord?” Blue Sword replied.

“I could try, but the results are doomed to fail” the Lord of Order replied. “It’s almost impossible to recreate the exact amount of light and dark energies a foal has when it is born. That’s one of the reasons why my brother did what he did. If was possible to revert it, then we wouldn’t have the same amount of Twins of Light and Darkness we have in the history of all Creation.”

“What can we do, then?” Twilight asked.

“The best course of option, is to let the twins’ potential asleep, so we can proper train them in controlling their respective powers, both physically, mentally and emotionally” the Lord of Order told. “Only when they’re ready, we can awake their power and hope they can deal with the rest.”

“A very wise idea, my lord” Luna said. “But how can the potentials be put to sleep? Foals are prone to prosper in their respective talents so they can reach their potential.”

“You’re right, Luna” the Lord of Order agreed. “Even with their potentials controlled, we can’t ensure the twins won’t be able to awake them accidentally. A moment of extreme stress can trigger them to unlock powers that had been sealed away. But that’s the better way to control it. And to answer your question, here is the answer.”

And he summoned…

“The Book of Fates” Celestia said, recognizing the book she and Luna signed in order to assume their parents role as bringers of the sun and the moon.

“The book of what?” Twilight asked.

“It’s a book I use to pass the role of certain lights to another” the Lord of Order replied. “But it can be used in other ways… like, containing the potentials of Twins of Light and Darkness. Until they reach the proper age and maturity, most of their energies will be sealed here. It’s necessary to be both of them in order, as it’s necessary that they both sign when the time comes, in order to keep balance.”

Twilight and Blue traded a look and then they nodded.

“We agree, my lord” Twilight said. “You may proceed.”

“Very well…” he said.

Pointing his spear to the book, he casted a beam that hit it. The book was filled with electricity and then opened. Once it did it, two energy tentacles, one made of light and the other made of darkness, got out and advanced towards the twins. They touched their foreheads (the light one on Sunny’s and the dark one on Midnight’s) and started to absorb part of their energies. The procedure was obviously very discomforted to the little ones, but the warm of their parents beside them allowed them to fight through it.

Once they were done, they retreated to the book and the pages where they got in gained some chains with locks. The Book of Fates closed and descended to the Lord of Order’s hand, who said:

“It’s done.”

“Now what?” Blue asked. “How will we raise them to better control their powers? Sunny may not be a problem, but Midnight…”

“You don’t have to worry, Your Highness” Golden Paladin replied. “I’m already fated to groom your son into control his power as a jinchuriki. I’m certain me and my siblings will be able to do the same with your daughters.”

“Yes, that’s a great idea, Golden Paladin” the Lord of Order said. “Particularly, you and Heartbeat will be fundamental in training with Princess Midnight, Heartbeat to help her to control and deal with her dark emotions and you to contain her if some anomaly happens. I believe Leaf Mane will be better suited to train Princess Sunlight once she starts to discover her powers and with Mirror Coat giving the proper information and Purple Smoke overseeing their development, I’m certain you are the best candidates. Even Melody will be able to give a hoof, as her music can be very inspiring. But no matter the training strategies you choose, you can’t forget one thing. It’s essential these children are raised happy. For that to happen…”

“We can’t tell anyone about this” Twilight finished.

“The creation of a jinchuriki is something that can hardly be kept a secret” the Lord of Order replied. “But what happened here was only witnessed by us and the information here will one be entrusted to the ones of great reliance. Besides, it’s also very important those two are raised to be close to one another. Their bond may be the most powerful and precious thing they will ever have.”

After that, the projection ended.

“Wow, that sounds like a big deal…” Midnight said, looking to her hooves. “Knowing I have this great potential to harness dark magic…”

Noticing her sister’s doubts, Sunny approached her and said, while placing a foreleg around her shoulders:

“Don’t worry, sis, whatever happens, we’ll face it together.”

That caused Midnight to stretch a smile.

Seeing their daughters’ moment, Twilight and Blue shared a look and a smiled, with the former placing her head over the latter’s shoulder. Now they understood what the Lord of Order really meant with the twins’ bond being very important.

Heartbeat was at her room, playing with her many toys, while sucking a lollipop. She laughed, as she clashed two teddy bears in midair with her magic, only for one to beat the other throwing it to the ground. At that moment, she heard the door of her room opening. Using her empathic ability, she knew who they were.

“Visiting me in my room?” she asked. “Couldn’t I had a little notice? Would have cleaned it for you… Goldy.”

Golden Paladin indeed was the one who had entered the room. He approached Heartbeat, using his magic to clean a path through the innumerous toys and candies that were spread upon the floor, and then said:

“I need to talk to you, Heartbeat.”

“Wow, for you to talk with me like that it must be important” she commented.

“The young princesses now know about being Twins of Light and Darkness.”

“And wasn’t that what Twilight and Blue wanted to do?”

“The thing is Princess Midnight didn’t react quite well to the revelation she was a Dark Twin” Golden Paladin continued. “She storm off the library, but then returned much calmer. She told Star had talk to her, like if she needed that. Can you explain me that?”

“What there’s to explain?” Heartbeat asked. “It’s just a sibling helping the other. We do that all the time.”

But Golden Paladin looked at her in a way that Heartbeat hated. It was when he knew she have done something, despite she wanted him to think otherwise.

“That mane clip that you gave her…” Golden Paladin said.

“It was a gift, just that” Heartbeat said. “I gave another to Sunny. I like to give gift to other ponies. It’s a talent that I have and that can even surpass Pinkie’s. Despite my empathy gives me a great advantage.”

“Do you really want me to believe that mane clip is just that, a gift?” Golden Paladin asked.

But Midnight just shrugged her shoulders. So, the General of Peace decided for another approach.

“You can’t lie to me, isn’t that right, Midnight?” he asked.

“Well, just because I don’t like to lie to you, it doesn’t mean I don’t hide anything from you…” she replied, saying then after realizing what she had just said. “Okay, forget what I said just now.”

“Where did you get that clip?” Golden Paladin asked. “All of it.”

“If you meant the clip itself, I got it from a store in Canterlot” Heartbeat replied. “They make wonderful accessories. About the jewel… I rather not tell.”

“Why not?”

“Because it’s going to make you mad at me for breaking again that same rule you keep telling me to not break.”

Hearing what she had just said, Heartbeat told:

“Please forget this part.”

“You crossed over to a realm that was sealed… again?” Golden Paladin asked, a little upset. “Heartbeat, you know how dangerous that is. What if something that shouldn’t get out tag along with you as you crossed over.”

“Hey, I’m careful!” Heartbeat exclaimed, a little offensive. “It’s to the General of Affection you’re talking to. Besides, it was worth the risk.”

“Why?”

“Because now Princess Midnight has something that will help her keep in the right path in moments of great necessity. I put some sprinkles of my magic in that jewel that will guide her in this first stage of her as a Dark Twin. And, for what you just told me, it would appear that it works, so… you’re welcome.”

After telling that, Heartbeat continued to play. Golden Paladin brought a hoof to his forehead, while shaking his head. He really hated when Heartbeat did something like that without telling, despite the good outcomes it normally has. But he wouldn’t be able to get more information from her, so he decided to move away.