• Published 18th Dec 2018
  • 777 Views, 4 Comments

Light and Darkness – The Shadow of Midnight - Rakoon1



It’s time to solve the mystery surrounding the two twin princesses of the Light Kingdom, a mystery that will put one of the twins on a path to overcome her own darkness in order to control her own power.

  • ...
2
 4
 777

Lord of the Rink

The winter break came to an end, too much quick for the youngsters’ taste as they still wanted to enjoy that break from school. But even with the holidays coming to an end, the thought of being reunited with their friends and being at the freedom that the academy gave them was a clear motivation to return.

The students weren’t the only ones with the blues for returning to the academy. The Cutie Mark Crusaders had enjoyed so much their holidays that it was hard for them to return to the Enchanted Forest. At Apple Bloom’s room at the academy, she was unpacking, while Scootaloo was lying on her bed.

“Uh, seriously, where did Sweetie Belle have gone?” the young pegasus asked. “We haven’t heard from her ever since she went to Las Pegasus to follow the lead we got from Rara.”

“Come on, Scoots, we both know Sweetie can take care ov herself” Apple Bloom said, finishing unpacking. “Besides, she mest have been with Spike dah rest ov dah holidays. After all, they deserve some time together.”

“Yeah, but she’s keeping us waiting for news about the magical watch” Scootaloo said, sitting on the bed. “She can’t forget that we also have a mission.”

At that moment, the door of the room opened and Sweetie Belle got in with a dreamy look.

“Well, just look who she is” Scootaloo said. “We’re starting to think we wouldn’t see you for a long time.”

“Never mind her, Sweetie” Apple Bloom said. “She’s jest grumpy now that dah winter break is over. So, tell us, sugarcube, how was yer Heart’s Warming with Spike?”

“Oh, it was marvelous!” Sweetie Belle exclaimed. “It was the best holiday I ever had! We were able to live our love fully. It was like we’ve never been apart for too long. It just gave me a lot of strength to endure another long time of separation.”

“Good, because we now have a lot to think of” Scootaloo said, getting up. “Like our mission, for example. Can you please tell us what happened when you went to Rara’s apartment?”

Hearing that question made Sweetie Belle wake up for reality and then she remembered what happened that night.

“Oh sure…” she said, blushing. “You’re right, Scoots. Sorry. Well, the thing is…”

And she proceeded to tell them the events that she lived.

“The watch wasn’t there?!” Scootaloo asked. “Oh, come on! We need it to go to Neverland!”

“Perhaps Rara put it in someplace else or some ov her friends took it” Apple Bloom said. “We may be able tah use dah trackin’ mirror tah locate it… That is, once we have a break tah look fer it.”

“Or that talent thief took it” Scootaloo said.

“I don’t think so” Sweetie Belle said. “If he had it, he would have used it to escape me, not use distractions to do so. But at least something good came out of all this.”

“If you’re going to say that at least you make up with Spike, then…” Scootaloo started.

“No, I’m saying that we know have a better closer look to the talent thief” Sweetie Belle said. “Besides the hook he had for his hoof, I was able to see his face slightly.”

“But we still don’t know if he really is dah talent thief” Apple Bloom said.

“Yeah, we need to check that out” Scootaloo said. “Perhaps locating him, capturing him and interrogating him… in a painful way.”

“Or we can ask Mirror Coat tah scan his mind” Apple Bloom suggested, with Sweetie Belle nodding in agreement.

“You girls really can’t stand a joke, do you?” Scootaloo said.

The classes resumed next day, with the younger students getting a big surprise from Apple Bloom. Because it was still winter and the conditions for many of the outdoor activities the students used to do were not ideals, she come up with new ones that could be performed at the snow or ice, like ice hockey and ice dancing.

After the classes the youngsters were getting ready for their ice activities, the Cutie Mark Crusaders were watching them at an ice rink that they have improvised, since the one for ice dancing was still not finished.

“This was a good idea, Apple Bloom” Sweetie Belle said. “Not only we can compensate for the activities we can’t hold during winter, but we can also possibly find new talents in ice hockey and ice dancing.”

“Yeah, that was using your head” Scootaloo agreed.

“Well, Ah am dah Head ov dah Club ov Activities” Apple Bloom said. “It is mah duty tah come up with new ideas tah help dah students bring up their potential. There’s jest one thin’ botherin’ me.”

“What?” the other two asked.

“Dah fact that there’s only boys on ice hockey an’ only girls on ice dancin’” she replied.

It was true. The boys (which included Gallus and Gust) were the only ones consisting on the group having ice hockey lessons from coach Gideon, while Professor Knotgrass was teaching ice dancing only to girls (which included Midnight, Sunny, Silver Wind and Cozy Glow).

“Well, I’m not that surprised” Scootaloo said. “Ice dancing is not exactly something that appeals to young colts.”

The fillies were trying to ice skating, using special enchanted ice skates that allowed them to do big jumps and spin in the air, like they were flying. They did it in line, landing and making a pose.

“Lovely enchanted ice dancing, girls” Knotgrass said, landing beside them. “Impressive work for our very first lesson.”

“Well, as a pegasus, I already have some practice” Cozy Glow said.

“Yeah, but… I’m not having the hang of the flips” Midnight said. “Or spins…”

At that moment, a hockey puck came to their direction, what startled the girls. But Knotgrass stopped the puck with her skates. Gallus approached and said:

“Sorry about that.”

“Gallus, we already told you that this side of rink is for our ice dancing classes” Sunny said. “That side is for ice hockey.”

“Hey, it’s not our fault that you don’t have any other place to do your flips” Gallus replied.

“Hey, Gallus, hurry up!” Gust called. “We need the puck to play.”

Gallus then took the puck and returned to the other side of the rink. Once he left, Knotgrass said:

“Okay, then, let’s learn a new move: the stargazing spin.”

And so she moved forward and made a jump that was elevated thanks to the enchanted skates and, when she was in the air, she laid down, opening her forelegs and spinning, like if she was stargazing. The girls were amazed by the move. After a few seconds, Knotgrass landed and told:

“Now, you try.”

The first ones to try were Cozy Glow and Sunny and they did it very well. Then it was Silver Wind and the other filly that was having classes with them. Midnight tried to do it, but she tripped over and wasn’t able to do the impulsive she needed. She was able to stand, but, while doing it, she noticed Gust looking the others doing the stargazing spin.

The Cutie Mark Crusaders also noticed that and, at that moment, they began to experience another dream vision, this time concerning Gust. After that, Sweetie Belle asked:

“Did you feel it?”

“Looks like we have our next talent” Apple Bloom commented.

“But Gust already has a Cutie Mark” Scootaloo said, referring to the fact Gust had gotten his Cutie Mark (a spiral wind) during the winter break after discovering how good he was making acrobatics. “How can we have a dream vision of him now?”

“Perhaps, despite dah fact he discover’d in what he is good at, he still needs tah discover where tah apply it” Apple Bloom said. “We’ve seen that bafore.”

“Yeah, but… in what can Gust’s acrobatic talent possibly fit besides flying?” Scootaloo asked.

“I have an idea” Sweetie Belle said, pointing to how interested he was in ice dancing.

Gust was distracted seeing the fillies ice dancing that he didn’t notice Gallus coming from behind and taking the puck from him.

“Thanks, Gusty” he said.

“Hey, don’t call me that!” he replied, going after him. “And give me that back!”

“You snooze you lose” Gallus replied.

Gust got that as an incentive and, flapping his wings as an impulsive, he skated so fast that caught up with Gallus and, with a quick maneuverer, he took the puck back.

“I never lose, Gallus” Gust replied.

He went to the goal and threw the buck, being able to make a point.

“Score!” Gust exclaimed, while his friends came to congratulate them.

“Oh, you mean he prefers ice hockey” Scootaloo said.

“Ah think Sweetie Belle meant dah other thing” Apple Bloom replied, pointing to how Gust was again looking to the fillies doing ice dancing.

“Seriously?” Scootaloo asked. “You really think that the son of my hero is really interested in ice dancing?”

“Well, he does seem interested” Sweetie Belle commented.

Midnight was preparing to do the stargazing spin. While skating, she said:

“All right, let’s try do it again.”

The young princess prepared to make the jump, but when she tried, she hesitated and wasn’t able to go up and ended up falling and starting to slip across the rink. Passing by Gallus, he told:

“Hey, Midnight, this is our side of the rink!”

Midnight slipped until she hit the goal, who stopped her. Everyone approached her and Gust, getting to her first, gave her a hoof, asking:

“Are you okay, Midnight?”

“Yeah…” she replied, taking his hoof and getting up, turning then to the others. “Sorry, guys. That’s a really hard move.

“Look at the bright side” Gallus said. “If you were a hockey puck, you’ve scored.”

Gideon and Knotgrass went to the Cutie Mark Crusaders and the former said to Apple Bloom:

“I’m sorry, Apple Bloom, but I’m afraid there’s enough space for all of us in this rink.”

“I’m afraid coach Gideon is right” Knotgrass said. “We need to have two rinks: one for hockey and one for ice dancing. Or else organize the schedule better.”

“Yeah, Ah’ll think ‘bout that” Apple Bloom said. “Perhaps Aj can get a vacant room in dah academy where we can have an inside rink fer ice dancin’. Or Ah can built one. It has been a while since Ah got an hammer.”

“Well, until that problem is properly solved, we’ll have to organize our classes” Knotgrass said, turning to Gideon. “Since this is the hockey rink, I think I’ll finish my class for today.”

“You can have the ice for the rest of the day, headmistress” Gideon said. “I still have my flying derby training. Come along, lads!”

The boys seemed disappointed for having to go, but they followed Gideon. Gust, however, remained behind, looking to the girls who were preparing to resume their ice dancing class.

“Wow, your right” Scootaloo whispered to Sweetie Belle and Apple Bloom, looking to Gust. “He does seem interested in ice dancing.”

“Well, perhaps his ability to do acrobatics has more to do with ice dancing, more than flying” Sweetie Belle said.

“Or that’s what he wants tah do with his talent” Apple Bloom suggested.

“Oh, I think Rainbow is not going to be happy to know about this” Scootaloo said. “She really wants Gust to follow on her hoofsteps.”

“Bafore worryin’ ‘bout Rainbow Dash, why don’t we see where this is goin’?” Apple Bloom asked.

Knotgrass said, while doing a flip to the front and landing softly:

“Okay, fillies, now let’s work on our fireball flips.”

And so Sunny and Cozy Glow advanced, doing it perfectly. Then it was Midnight’s turn. She was able to ascend, but when she tried to make the flip, she lost control and, when she landed, almost fell. Fortunatly, Gust was able to hold her.

“Gust?” she asked, surprised. “Shouldn’t you go to your flying derby training?”

“I’ll go in a minute” he replied, looking then to the other fillies practicing. “Those flips looked really fun.”

“They are… when you’re doing them right” Midnight told. “Do you want to try.”

“No way…” Gust said, while taking out his helmet. “I don’t know any colt that ice dance.”

“Don’t say that, Gust” Sunny said, joining the talk. “I bet that there are other colts that ice dance. I mean, no sport is meant to only one gender.”

“Yeah, like the Wonderbolts” Silver Wind said. “They are all made of both stallions and males, like your parents. And they are led by a mare.”

“But Gust does have a point” Cozy Glow said. “I also don’t know that many males that do ice dancing. Perhaps that’s because it’s too hard for them. Probably, Gust would fall over his face, even with his wings.”

Having inherit Rainbow Dash’s habit of accepting any kind of challenge, Gust replied:

“Ah, not a chance! I’m one of the best skaters at the hockey team.”

“Then it will be easy for you” Midnight said.

“Okay, fine, I’ll try it” Gust decided.

Turning to Knotgrass, Midnight asked:

“Professor Knotgrass, can you get Gust a pair of enchanted skates?”

“Absolutely” she replied, waving then her wand.

Gust’s skates changed and asked, while moving forward:

“So how do these things work? Do I just jump…”

But he didn’t finish, as he, when jumping, soon elevated in the air.

“Try to flip” Midnight told him.

“Midnight, don’t be silly” Cozy said. “He won’t be able to do a flip. Even for pegasus, enchanted ice dancing is not that easy when you just start.”

“Ah, Cozy, I would look up if I were you” Silver Wind said.

They all did it and, to their amazement, they saw Gust making a triple flip on the air and landing with grace.

“That’s a triple fireball flip!” Knotgrass exclaimed, completely ecstatic. “I’ve never seen a student do that.”

“Gust is incredible!” Sunny said.

“Did you see that?!” Scootaloo asked. “That was amazing!”

“Looks like we found Gust’s true talent” Sweetie Belle said.

“And now we just have tah make him embrace it” Apple Bloom said.

Gust moved around for a few seconds, before making a backflip and stopping beside Midnight.

“That was awesome” he said.

“You should join our class, Gust” Midnight said.

“We do have an extra spot” Knotgrass said.

“I can’t” Gust said, going to take his stick. “Ice dancing is not for boys.”

“It’s for everypony who wants to do it” Midnight replied.

“But there’s no boys in the class” Gust replied back.

“But that doesn’t mean you can’t get in” Scootaloo said, approaching flying.

“Coach Scootaloo… I…” Gust said, a little embarrassed.

“Come on, buddy, you don’t need to make excuses” Scootaloo said. “I’ve seen you doing those flips and I have to say you have some talent in it, perhaps even more than flying.”

“Really?”

“Really. And you can’t let those puny thoughts prevent you.”

“Yeah, Gust, it doesn’t matter if you’re the only boy in the class” Midnight said. “If you really like ice dancing, why not take the leap?”

Gust thought for a moment. He remembered the fun that he had while ice dancing and how that made him feel alive, even more when doing flying acrobatics.

“Okay, I’m in!”

“Excelente!” Knotgrass exclaimed, overjoyed.

“That’s the spirit, sport” Scootaloo said.

“Welcome to the class, Gust” Midnight said, with the others nodding in agreement.

While the girls congratulated Gunter for joining them, Scootaloo returned to Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle and said:

“Our work here is done.”

“I don’t know…” Sweetie Belle said. “Normally, when it’s done, we use to feel that, but I’m not feeling it.”

“Me neither” Apple Bloom said. “Ah think we’ll have tah be watching Gust for a while.”

At the next day, Midnight was walking on the hall when she found Gust with Gallus and other male students. She approached them, while saying:

“Gust, Professor Knotgrass said to meet at the pond for ice dancing class.”

Hearing Midnight talking about the ice dancing lessons in front of the others made Gust become really nervous and Gallus asked:

“Wait, you’re having ice dancing lessons? Isn’t that for girls?”

“Yeah…” Gust said. “And that’s why I’m not taking them.”

“But you said…” Midnight started, a little confused.

“Can I talk with you for a minute alone, Midnight?” Gust said, taking Midnight to the nearest empty room.

“I don’t get it” Midnight said. “I thought you were taking the classes with us.”

“I am, but I can’t let the others find out or they will laugh at me” Gust said. “Mainly Gallus. You know how he is.”

“But they’re going to notice if you’re not at hockey practice” Midnight pointed out. “The hockey is overlapped with ice dancing.”

“Right, I forgot about that…” Gust remembered, but then getting an idea. “I know! I’ll tell them I got sick.”

“But you’re not sick.”

“Then just watch.”

He went outside and approached his friends, while pretending to have a terrible cough.

“Sorry, guys… looks like… I won’t make it… to the hockey practice. I just started to feel really sick.”

“You don’t tell us…” Gallus said, a little suspicious. “Well, we hope you get better.”

“Oh, so do I” Gust replied, coughing in a fake way. “See you later, guys.”

And he walked away, blinking his eye to Midnight as he passed by her. However, she made an unsure look. The young princess knew Gust was making a mistake pretending to be sick just for the others not knowing that he was having ice dancing lessons.

Later that day, Knotgrass took her students to the pound. Arriving there, Gust asked:

“I don’t get it. Where are we supposed to skate?”

“Right here” Knotgrass replied, holding her wand and causing the water of the pound to freeze and then flying and landing on the ice. “I froze it ice solid, so it’s perfectly safe to skate on.”

So the students started to put their skates on. While doing that, Knotgrass told:

“Class, I have great news. We’re going to put on an ice dancing recital for the all academy.”

As they got into the improvised ice rink, the girls showed enthusiasm at the idea, but Gust was a little uncertain.

“You mean everypony is going to see me ice dancing with you fillies?” he asked.

“Yes, next Friday at three o’clock” Knotgrass replied.

“Oh good…” Gust sighed in relief. “It’s the same time as hockey practice, so the guys won’t see me.”

“For the recital, you all are going to pair up and work on a routine” Knotgrass explained.

“Do you want to skate together?” Midnight asked to Gust.

“Sure” he replied.

“Great. Let’s figure out what moves we’re going to do. Come on.”

They moved to another part of the rink and Midnight said:

“Maybe we should start with the stargazing spin Professor Knotgrass taught us.”

She then went to perform the spin. Things seemed to go well initially, but then Midnight was to finish, she hesitated and ended up landing with one kneel on the ice.

“That's pretty good” Gust said, approaching Midnight as she got up. “But why stop after one spin?”

Saying that, Gust moved a little and then jumped, starting to do the spin, doing a lot of them.

“Ah, I don't think I can do that” Midnight said.

“Sure you can!” Gust replied, while landing. “Just get some speed, then push off with your hindlegs really hard so you can kick into the spin.”

He then give a push to Midnight, who skated forward, and she said:

“Okay…”

Following Gust’s instructions, Midnight started to do the spin and was able to perform many flips while doing it, something that made her stretch a big smile, while releasing excitement screams. The others down there got impressed with what Midnight was doing. When she went down, Midnight landed beside Gust and said:

“I can't believe it! I thought I'd never get that move! Thank you.”

“No problem” Gust replied.

“That's all for today, class” Knotgrass said.

Hearing that, Midnight became disappointed and said:

“I still can't do that Fireball Flip. I wish we could practice more.”

“Maybe we can ask Professor Knotgrass if we can keep practicing here” Gust suggested.

After Knotgrass allowed them to remain in the ice rink, Gust and Midnight practiced their moves, trying also making their routine.

“Well, our routine is coming out nicely” Midnight said.

“Yeah, it is” Gust said. “Hey, maybe we should end with the Spinning Dragon.”

“But no one in class can do that move.”

“Then we'll be the first.”

The confidence Gust used to say that was transmitted to Midnight who then said:

“Okay, let’s try. Wait until your parents see how great of an ice dancer you are. I bet they’re going to be so proud.”

“Yeah… what if we don’t tell them about that” Gust said.

“Wait, you don’t want to tell them?”

“It’s just… Well, you how my mom is. She got overjoyed when I got my Cutie Mark in acrobatics. I can’t tell her that I prefer to use my talent for ice dancing.”

“But, Gust, you can’t hide something like this from her for long” Midnight told him.

“Well, at least I can try” Gust said, taking flight and moving away.

Next day, Gust and Midnight started their training at their ice dancing class.

“Okay, what do we have?” Gust asked.

“We're going to begin with the Stargazing Spin, go right into the round-off, then do a fireball flip, if I can figure out how to do it” Midnight replied.

“Let’s begin with that then” Gust said. “You go first.”

Midnight nodded and she prepared. She moved and jumped, ready to do the flips, but right after doing one she fell, going to land hard on the ice. Fortunately, Gust was there to catch her.

“Gotcha!”

He put her down and she said, a little down:

“I'm never going to get the hang of that Fireball Flip. Let's do another move instead.”

“No way” Gust replied. “I'm not letting you give up. Try it again, but stay in your tuck a second longer. I'll do it with you.”

He hold on her hoof and Midnight, feeling more comfortable, said:

“Okay.”

The two of them prepared and advanced together. With a great synchrony, they jumped and performed a perfect fireball flip. After they did it, Gust exclaimed:

“That's it! Great job, Midnight.”

“Thanks” she answered. “Now the next part of our routine.

They continued their training and, by the end of the class, they ended with so multiple pirouettes, landing in a very graceful way that got the applauses from Knotgrass and the others.

“Looking good you two” Sunny commented.

“Looks like we're almost ready for tomorrow's recital” Knotgrass said. “Now, who wants to warm up with some hot cocoa?”

“Yes, please!” the fillies said.

They started to head back to the academy, but Midnight and Gust remained behind.

“I should keep working on my fireball flip” Midnight said.

“It's getting better, but try starting your flip sooner” Gust suggested. “Like this.”

And he advanced and jumped, making a double flip and landing with all the grace. But at that moment, Gallus and the other members of the hockey team arrived to the pound.

“Gust?” Gallus asked.

“Oh no…” the young pegasus said, embarrassed. “Hi, guys. What are you doing here?”

“Coach Gideon sent us for a run to warm up” Gallus replied. “But forget about that. Are you ice dancing?”

“He sure is” Midnight replied, arriving.

“No, I'm not, Midnight!” Gust replied, starting to panic. “Why would I be doing that? Uh, somehow these enchanted skates got mixed up with mine, and then I got lost and thought the pond was the ice rink, and did I mention I bumped my head?”

But Gallus and the others just kept looking at him, completely not convinced.

“Gust, they saw you” Midnight said.

Knowing she was right, Gust realized he didn’t have any other option. He said:

“Okay, guys, the thing is… I kinda joined the ice dancing class.”

“So that's why you faked being sick” Gallus said, causing Gust look at him. “Hey, you’re talking to the master of made-up excuses.”

“Don’t get me wrong, I like hockey” Gust continued. “I just like ice dancing more. Come on, go ahead, make fun of me.”

But the boys just stood there quiet, until Gallus asked:

“Why would we do that? I think it's great you’re ice dancing.”

That answer confused Gust who asked:

“Really?”

“My grandfather is an admirer of performing arts and sometimes he makes me go watch some ice dancing competitions and I’ve seen many male competitors. After all, ice dance is like a sport, right?”

“Who says we can't all just play whatever we like?” Midnight said. “What's the big deal?”

The others agreed. Gust was surprised by all that. He never expected that his teammates would be so understandable. Smiling, he said:

“Thanks, guys. But listen, I can't let my parents find out. At least, for now.”

“You can count on us, buddy” Gallus replied. “Well, good luck. Okay, guys, let’s continue the warm-up.”

And they moved away. After they were gone, Midnight, despite a little down for Gust still not be willing to tell her parents about her love for ice dancing, said:

“See that? Your friends didn't make fun of you. You were worried for no reason.”

“Yeah, I can't believe it” he said.

“So then why won't you tell your parents?” Midnight asked “They might be okay with it, too.”

“No way, Midnight. You don't know my parents. They practically set up my future as a flyer. I don’t think they would accept a change like this that easily. Come on. Let's work on our round-offs.”

And so they went to continue their practice.

At the next day, at the end of the academic classes, Midnight and Gust met at the entrance of the academy.

“Hey, Midnight.”

“Hi, Gust. Ready for the recital?”

“Yeah” he replied. “Just remember, when you spin, tilt your head way back. Like this.”

And he made a spin in the place to demonstrate, but then a voice said:

“Hey there, son!”

Gust suddenly froze, as he turned and saw his parents landing in front of him.

“Mom?! Dad?! What are you doing here?!”

“We heard about how great our boy is a great at the ice rink and we decided to come watch you playing” Soarin said.

“I can’t wait to see you show everypony how much you’re awesome not only in flying, but also in other sports” Rainbow Dash said. “You really take after me on that. Come on, you’ll be late for practice.”

Gust couldn’t believe that was happening to him. He wanted so much to perform at the recital with Midnight, but he couldn’t let his parents find out about his love for ice dancing. So, resigned with his fate, he said:

“Okay…”

When they started to go, Midnight, who didn’t want Gust to give up doing something that he loved, said:

“Gust, tell them!”

Hearing her saying that, Soarin asked Gust:

“Tell us what, champ?”

Gust looked at Midnight, who made an incentive gesture, but Gust wasn’t able to face his parents so he said:

“Midnight's doing an ice dancing recital.”

“Oh, yeah, Twilight and Rarity told me about that” Rainbow Dash said. “They, Blue and Shadow Claw came just to watch her kids performing. Don’t worry, Gust, I'm sure she and the other fillies will do a wonderful job. Now, let's go play hockey!”

“Sorry…” Gust whispered to Midnight, as he moved away with his parents.

Midnight sighed and then went to prepare herself for the recital.

At the pound, where the ones that, the girls arrived skating to their resting area, all wearing the costumes they have chosen for their performances. Midnight was the last to arrive, wearing a beautiful purple ice dancing dress. Seeing her, Knotgrass said:

“Oh, there you are, Princess Midnight. Where's Gust?”

“He's not coming, Professor Knotgrass” she replied, sitting on the bench. “He's playing hockey.”

“Why?” Sunny asked.

“He seemed to prefer ice dancing than hockey” Silver Wind commented.

“He really wants to be here, but he’s so afraid of what his parents may think of that he decided to keep playing hockey.”

“It is a shame that Gust won't be joining us” Knotgrass said. “But the show must go on. Princess Sunlight and Cozy Glow will perform first. Then Silver Wind and Clear Skies. Princess Midnight, you'll have to dance alone. But I know you'll do just fine. Now let's warm up before our audience arrives.”

And so the girls advanced to their warm up. While doing it, Midnight went and did a triple fireball flip what really impressed Knotgrass.

“Princess Midnight, that triple Fireball Flip was fantastic!” she exclaimed.

“Thanks” she replied. “Gust really helped me with it. He wouldn't give up until I got it just right.”

She then started to feel down after saying that.

“Midnight, what is it, my dear?” Knotgrass asked.

“It’s Gust. He wouldn't give up on me, but I can’t help but think that he shouldn’t have given up on himself.”

At the hockey practice, Gust was playing quite well, being able to score another goal. Seeing that, both Soarin and Rainbow Dash congratulated him, with the later saying:

“That's my boy!”

But Gust couldn’t see himself finding any joy in the hockey, even when he scored. The others approached him and Gallus asked:

“Shouldn't you be at your recital?”

“I wish I was, but my parents dragged me here” he replied, before continuing playing.

At the pound, the audience that came to watch the recital filled the bleaches. Between them, were Twilight, Rarity, Blue, Shadow Claw, Star, Moonlight, Jonagold, Gust, Galena and Bramble. Knotgrass appeared, flying above the frozen pound, with the audience cheering and applauding.

“Welcome to our ice dancing recital” she greeted. “Up first are Princess Sunlight and Cozy Glow.”

And the two went forwards and started their performance. Looking at them, Midnight sighed:

“I wish Gust was here?”

“Don’t worry about that, Midnight” a voice said.

She turned and saw Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle approaching, sitting beside her at the bleach.

“What are you doing here?” she asked.

“We came to watch the recital” Sweetie Belle said.

“But then we saw a certain lil’ filly a little sad” Apple Bloom said. “That’s this has something to do with Gust?”

“You know about that?” Midnight asked.

“Well, we wouldn’t be dah Cutie Mark Crusaders if we didn’t have notic’d how great Gust is in ice dancin’” Apple Bloom said. “But I think you shouldn’t worry about he not comin’.”

“And why is that?” Midnight asked.

“Because we’re already dealing with that issue” Sweetie Belle replied.

At the hockey practice, the boys were playing when something fast came down and took the puck. It was Scootaloo who was holding the puck while flapping in the air some hooves above the ice.

“Hey, Scootaloo, what gives?!” Rainbow Dash asked. “Give the puck back to the boys.”

“Sorry, Rainbow, but there’s something I need to take care first” she replied to her, what confused the rainbow maned mare.

Scootaloo landed beside Gust and asked:

“Don’t you have a recital to go?”

“But how…” Gust started, before realizing it didn’t matter how she knew. “What’s the use now? They have already started. Besides, how would I face my parents if I left the practice to go ice dancing?”

“Gust, you shouldn’t give up doing something you love because of your parents” Scootaloo said. “Believe me, I know what I’m talking about. My flying skills weren’t that great back when I was a filly. My parents wanted me to give up of trying being the best flyer I could be. But I didn’t let that stop me from keeping doing what I love. If I didn’t give up, then why should you?”

Hearing those words from Scootaloo gave Gust the courage to finally stand up to her parents. He moved towards the bleaches where they are and said:

“Mom, dad, I need to talk to you.”

Rainbow and Soaring traded a look, before flying down the bleaches and landing in front of their son.

“What is it, son?” Rainbow asked.

The young pegasus colt took a deep breath and then revealed:

“I love ice dancing! In fact, I love ice dancing more than hockey and flying and there’s nothing I wanted to do more at this moment than participating in the recital Midnight and the others are doing.”

His parents got a little shocked with the revelation, but, after trading a few looks, Rainbow Dash asked, while she and Soaring smiled:

“Then why didn’t say that sooner?”

Gust was surprised with their reaction and asked:

“Aren’t you mad at me?”

“Why would we be mad?” Soaring asked.

“Because of me wanting to do something that it is not flying” Gust said. “I mean, you got so happy when I got my Cutie Mark. I thought that you wanted me to follow your hoofsteps and become a great flyer.”

“Gust, we don’t care if you become a great flyer” Soarin said.

“You don’t?”

“Well, that would be like a dream come true, but you can’t have the life we want you to have, if you don’t want to” Rainbow Dash said. “As long you’re happy, we’re happy. And if you really want to ice dance, than it’s totally fine for us. Besides, I always wanted to know how can ice dancers do all those moves without wings.”

“So, you mean you’re not mad?” Gust asked.

“Of course not” Rainbow Dash said. “In fact, what are you still doing here? Don’t you have a recital to go?”

Noticing that the time for his and Midnight’s turn was coming, Gust nodded and then took flight, heading towards the recital.

“Come on, guys, don't you want to see Hugo ice dance?” Gallus asked to the other boys of the team.

And they all started to go towards the recital, even Gideon. Turning to Scootaloo, Rainbow asked:

“That talk you had with him…”

“Just doing my job as a Crusader” Scootaloo said. “Hey, don’t you want see your kid rock that recital?”

And she took flight, followed by Rainbow and Soarin.

At the recital, Silver Wind and Clear Skies were finishing their performance, with the crowd applauding them. Midnight was losing hope of performing with Gust when suddenly he landed beside her.

“Did you miss me?” he asked.

“Gust!” Midnight exclaimed, hugging him, what caused Gust to blush a little. “You came?”

“I couldn’t let my ice dancing partner down” he replied.

Noticing that Gust had come, Knotgrass said:

“Oh, good. You're just in time.”

“Professor Knotgrass, can you give Gust a pair of enchanted skates and a costume?” Midnight asked.

“Oh, absolutely” she replied, waving then her wand.

In a blink of an eye, Gust found himself with a tuxedo matching with Midnight’s dress and enchanted skates on his hooves. Once Silver Wind and Clear Skies got out, Knotgrass presented, while Midnight and Gust get in the rink with the spotlight on them:

“Our next ice dancers are Princess Midnight and Gust!”

And the crowd cheered, as they prepared to start their routine. Rainbow, Soarin, Scootaloo, Gideon, Gallus and the others arrived just in time to see them starting. They started by skating side by side with elegance, but then Midnight made a pirouette before Gust grab one of her hooves with his wing and made her spin around in the air. After that, he threw her sky high, where Midnight made a spin, landing gracefully and posing with Gust.

Seeing that, everypony got excited, including Rainbow and Soaring. They couldn’t believe the talent their son had for ice dancing that was in fact even greater than flying. While they prepared for the next part of the routine, Gust told Midnight:

“Let's do an extra Fireball Flip.”

“A quadruple?” Midnight asked, uncertain.

“You can do it” Gust ensured her.

And so they prepared themselves for it, with Gust holding Midnight’s front hooves with his wings and then giving her the impulse she needed to ascend to make backflips, while he jumped and did the fireball flips. They ended up many so many flips that even surpassed the quadruple, with both then landing side by side and with grace.

“I've never seen anyone do so many flips before!” Knotgrass exclaimed.

“Miss Dash, Soarin, your son is the best ice dancer I've ever seen!” Gideon told to the proud parents. “And I've judged at least a dozen competitions.”

“Oh you can bet your wings he is” Rainbow Dash said proudly.

It was then that Gust and Midnight started to reach the finale of their performance, with the former holding the latter and threw her high sky again and jumping high as well, with the two spinning around side by side, landing then and making poses, including one where Gust hold Midnight above him for a few moments and then they skated together until they jumped together and made the final pose in the air. Once they landed, the crowd cheered with great intensity.

“Great job, Gust” Midnight congratulated her ice dancing partner.

“You too, Midnight” Gust congratulated back.

And so they started to be surrounded by all of their family and friends, all coming to cheer them.

Seeing that, the Crusaders were proud of their work.

“Another satisfied client” Scootaloo said. “And it’s all thanks to me, if I do say so myself.”

“But there’s one thin’ that bothers me” Apple Bloom said.

“What?” Scootaloo asked.

“You’re talking about the fact our friends didn’t show up, right?” Sweetie Belle asked.

“Normally, dah ponies we help are always target, but that didn’t happen with Gust” Apple Bloom said.

“Perhaps they just got afraid of us” Scootaloo said. “After all, we’re awesome.”

“They have already tricked us before… two times, in fact, remember?” Sweetie Belle said. “Perhaps they weren’t just interested in Gust.”

“Whatever dah reason, we have tah keep alert” Apple Bloom said. “We don’t know when those talent thieves may attack again.”