• Published 11th Oct 2018
  • 859 Views, 16 Comments

Sun's Equestria Girls Adventures: Shadow Magic - Pinkie Pie Sweets



Sun and her friends end up covering one of the biggies mysteries in Equestrian History.

  • ...
 16
 859

Chapter 6: Origin of the Shadow

Everyone and everypony look at the map with confused looks. They can see thirteen symbols at one location.

Applejack says, not one hundred percent sure of her deduction, "The Hollow Shades. I think a branch of the Apple family
lives there."

"They'd have to be pretty distant. The Hollow Shades was abandoned eons ago," Sunburst clarifies.

"Hmm, that's odd. The only time the map's called all of us to one place was Starlight's village," Rarity wonders.

"So it's like a super-villain tracker!" Rainbow shouts, in excitement.

She turns to Starlight with a sheepish look, and says, "No offense."

Starlight arches her eyebrow in reply, not knowing is she should be offended or not.

Princess Twilight turns to Starswirl, and asks, "Do you think the map could be trying to tell us where the Pony of Shadows
is?"

"Hmm... The Tree of Harmony acting to protect the light of the realm…" Starswirl think about it.

Then realizes that it could be true, "Yes. A good thought, Twilight."

Princess Twilight squeals with a smile hearing that, but Sun and Starlight are looking unsure about this.

Then Starswirl says, "I will make my notes on this spell. Ready yourselves for battle."

"But that still doesn't explain why mine, Starlight, Falling Star, and my friends marks are on it," Sun says.

"Yeah. Sun I get because she is connected to the element as much as Princess Twilight and the others, but what about us,"
Human Twilight adds.

"Maybe you all play a part in it somehow, and that the tree needs all your help," Mistmane says.

"Maybe," Pony Falling Star calmly says.

"Uh, I know I'm not as experienced as all of you, but is banishment really the only option? I mean, it's been a long time.
Maybe the Pony of Shadows is ready to talk?" Starlight suggests.

"I don't know. He was pretty angry when we saw him. He looked like he needed a hug," Sonata says.

"Maybe a psychiatrist if you ask me," Adagio adds.

"I doubt we can save our homeland with a conversation," Starswirl says, against the idea.

"But we could try," Starlight says.

"You have to admit, we could still try to talk to him. What matters, it's he is willing to listen now," Starry says.

"But sometimes, you kind of need to use force on him

"I'm sure Star Swirl and the others did try," Princess Twilight advise.

"And what happened?" Human Twilight asks turning to Starswirl.

"The Pony of Shadows was not interested in reconciliation. Once a villain, always a villain." Starswirl firmly says.

Hearing that shocked some of the beings in the room. Starlight, the Dazzlings, Human Twilight, and both of the Falling
Star. Princess Twilight feels rather sad about it.

"Twilight, Sunburst, would you accompany me? I wish to refine this spell for our use," Starswirl says as he leaves the room.

Everypony else begin to leave the room

"Come. We must prepare for the struggle ahead," Rockhoof says as the others leave the room.

Everypony else leave the room, except for Starlight, Sun, her human friends, and the pony version of Falling Star. In fact,
some of them are not very happy with Starswirl's statement.

Starlight sighs, and says, "I know Star Swirl is a great wizard, but this whole plan seems... wrong. The map's only ever sent
us to solve friendship problems."

"Maybe so, but the Pony of Shadows doesn't really seem like the "friendship" type," Spike the dragon replies.

"From the way the Pony of Shadows acted, it looks like he was pretty angry with Starswirl and the Pillars," Aria says.

"And let's be honest, none of us even know about the Pony of Shadows," Human Twilight says.

"No pony does," Spike the dragon answers.

Spike the dog says, "You mean no one has any idea about the shadow at all."

"I don't think no pony knows," Starlight says.

"That's right. The pillars might have a clue about the shadow," Starry says.

"She's right. I think the pillars know exactly who the Pony of Shadows was before he became who he is. And maybe, they
were once friends with him," Sun says.

Aria speaks up, "Either way, I don't want to talk to Starswirl after what he just said."

"Me either, he's mean," Sonata adds.

"I must agree. He has no idea what some of us have been through when we were in the wrong path," Adagio says,
sounding pretty mad.

"Yeah," The two Falling Star and Human Twilight add with stern looks.

Nina walks to Sun, and puts her paws on her human leg. Sun sees her cat, and picks her up. As she pets Nina, Sun lets out
a sad sigh.

Nina asks, "You're not happy with Starswirl, aren't you?"

"I'm not at all. He has no right to say that, even when my friends who were villains are standing right there. I don't think
he realizes what he's saying is going to hurt someone," Sun says.

"I think you should have a talk with him," Nina advise.

Sun narrows her eyes in angry, and calmly says, "Believe me I will."

At the main hallway, the main five are busy helping the five pillars get ready for her battle. Rainow help clean Flash's
shield and armor. Fluttershy helps Meadowbrook fixing up her mask. Applejack also help Rockhoof sharpening his sword.

Sun, Starlight, and the others walk down stairs to see the ten pony.

Sonata whispers to Sun, "Hey Sun, you should talk to Somnambula."

"How come?" Sun asks.

"She's your ancestor after all. Plus, you should tell her about it, she'll be so excited," Sonata whispers, showing a big smile.

"I guess you're right… but," Sun sounding concern.

"But what?" Sonata questions.

"I'm still rather concern about it. I'm still wrapping my head the truth about my ancestry. Now I having trouble knowing
that my ancestor is standing in front of me," Sun says.

"That's okay. You can tell her when you're ready, but it better be soon," Sonata says.

Sun shows a calm smile, and says, "Right, but let's get this situation with the Pony of Shadows solved."

Sonata nods her head.

After walking down stairs, Sun's group walk to the ten who are making sure the items are set up.

Sun calmly says, "Hey Somnambula, there's something that we like you and the other pillars to answer for us?"

"Of course, what is it?" Somnambula questions.

"You all knew the Pony of Shadows before he became what he is now. You must've been friends. So what happened?"
Starlight asks.

"The tale of our rift is a sad one. In fact, it happened around the time he had to face the sirens… or the Dazzlings as you
call it," Rockhoof explains.

Adagio questions, "Did this happened after you banish us?"

"It did," Flash answers.

"Stygian was a pony like the rest of us, though more scholar than hero. He recognized our emerging world would need
champions to defend it," Rockhoof explains.

"He may have gathered us together, but he himself was just an ordinary unicorn who soon grew jealous of our abilities,"
Flash adds.

"He stole objects from each of us. Artifacts to use in a spell," Mistmane adds.

"And we cast him out for it," Meadowbrook adds.

"We always thought he'd return and seek forgiveness. But when we saw him again, his heart was bent on revenge. He
dashed even my hope of saving him," Somnambula adds.

That's when Stygian eyes turn black and has been turned into the Pony of Shadows.

"But why did he steal the artifacts from you?" Starlight asks.

"No doubt it was an enchantment to take our powers for himself," Meadowbrook answers, lifting her mask up.

"Are you sure about that? What I mean is that, are you sure Stygian is interested in your power because how the Pony of
Shadows acted, you can tell he held a bad grudge against you," Pony Falling Star asks.

"She's right. It seem that what happened might not have anything to do with power," Sun adds.

"What else is there?" Rockhoof asks.

"Didn't you every asked Stygian why he took the artifacts?" Human Twilight asks.

"No. We didn't," Mistmane answers.

"But if it isn't power he wanted, what else is there?" Meadowbrook asks.

"Well, remember when you banish me and my sister to another world. After a long time of living in that world we met
Sun, and then we told her what really became of us," Adagio says.

"Yeah. We were cursed to be sirens while everypony else in our underwater home were turned to coral," Aria adds.

Then Sun says, "I know it's hard to believe, but seeing their faces… I can tell they were telling the truth. Plus, we also
confronted the seapony that cursed them, who was really using the girls to gain power within their pendants that were
their hearts."

The pillars becomes rather surprised to hear what Sun is saying.

"So what you're saying is that there's more to Stygian than what it appears," Flash suspects.

"Exactly, but that is still something we need to figure out for Stygian's case," Sun says.

Just then, the gem on the choker begins to glow, and Sun's geode glows as well. Sun eyes turns white, meaning another
piece of memory appears, but changes back to normal soon after. Sun becomes a bit stunned for a little after seeing the
memory.

Sun sighs, turns to Starlight, and says, "We need to talk to Starswirl."

Starlight, Sun, and the others walk towards the entrance of the library.

Sun turns to the others, "You guys stay here. Straight and I will talk to Starswirl and check on the others.

The girls, pets, and the dragon nod their heads in reply. Starlight opens the door, and she along with Sun enter the room.

When the mare and human girls enter the library, they can see their friends and the ancient pillar is at work. Trying to
finish and see if there's anything to add or change to the spell.

"That looks like a lot of work," Starlight says.

"Haven't seen this much since Twilight and I did our final project for school," Sun replies.

"It is what must be done, and it would be best if we were not disturbed," Starswirl firmly says.

Sun turns her head away and grits her teeth behind her lips in anger.

"I'm sorry, Starlight, but we can't stop to talk. The stakes are too high, and we have to…" Princess Twilight says with sad
look on her face.

"Banish Stygian to limbo," Sun finishes Princess Twilight's sentence.

"Uh, who?" Sunburst questions.

"Stygian was the name the Pony of Shadows gave up when he turned to darkness," Starswirl sternly answers.

"Yes. And it's someone that you never mention to us. We had to ask the others about it," Sun says.

"And I'm just trying to figure out why," Starlight says.

"Envy. He wanted more power than he had, and that desire led him down a path from which there is no return!" Starswirl
answers, but sounding a bit upset.

"I know from experience that's not always true. When the map called you six to my village, it was for a friendship
problem." Starlight firmly says to Starswirl.

"Starlight's right, I've meet a lot of people and ponies who been in Stygian's position. Sometimes it is jealousy, but most of
the time, it can be something deeper. Much deeper, something that isn't seen at first," Sun explains.

Just then, the power of the choker and her geode act up again, and Sun's eyes turn white again. She is seeing another
memory.

"And how do you know that power is what Stygian want. From what the other pillars explain, you all never bother to ask
why he took the artifacts to begin with. You just assume and turn your back on him without a thought," Starlight explains.

Just then, Sun's eyes change back to normal.

But ends up hearing Starswirl angrily saying, "Stygian wants to destroy all that is good in this world. There's no way to
befriend a pony like that."

This shocked Sun, and makes her more angry than she has ever been. Starlight feels like she is on the verge of crying. Just
then, Starswirl and Starlight look to see Sun looking at them with a angry and upset look on her face.

"Sun, what are you…" Starlight begins to ask.

Just then, Sun ends up giving Starswirl a hard slap on the face with her human hand. Everyone and everypony else in the
room gasp in shock. At this very moment, the room is in silence to see the event Sun has done.

"Su-sun, why did you do that for?!" Princes Twilight asks in shock.

"I can't believe you wouldn't say something that awful, especially to Starlight, and in front of my friends who been in Stygian's horseshoes! You at to be ashamed of yourself! That's really really low! Maybe you better grow a little more
before think about that kind of poor judgement!" Sun furiously scolds at Starswirl.

Starswirl is still stunned that he isn't saying a word.

Sun continues to angrily scolds them, "Everypony deserves to make friends, you just need to give them a chance! That's
what I did for Falling Star the pony version after years of her bully me! I could have not forgive her, but I did forgive her,
and she became my friend and change for the better! And that talk you said about 'Once a villain, always a villain!' What a sick joke!"

Sun even begins to shed a tears and continues, "I became with the Dazzlings despite on what they did, I became friends with them, and they told me that they spent countless years of being cursed to become the sirens you know of! Even the human Twilight when she stole my and her friends magic and was forced to use it to destroy both words, or the human Falling Star when she was bent on vengunes on her bullies! And Starlight after hearing that she stole cutie marks from the ponies in her village, but I became friends with her anyway! I became friends with all of them. They changed and open up to friendship because someone gave them a chance!"

"You have no right to say that about Stygian. No, not even about him, but anybody! I don't want anything to do with you anymore, I don't care what you say!" Sun shouts, and tears pour out of her face.

Sun turns her away from Starswirl and walk out of the room. Opening the door, she can see the other main five, the pony Falling Star, Spike, and the other pillars there. Even her all show shocked looks on their faces. Sun ignores them, and walk past them with tears seeping down her face.

Starlight, Princess Twilight, and Sunburst leave the room to see Sun leaving. They can tell she is not very happy. The one who feels most broken and torn is Princess Twilight. Hearing what Sun says, she is begin to have doubts about relying on her idol for answers and her admiration towards him.

Author's Note:

Sunset is upset now, and this cause a stand still on their mission.