• Published 17th Sep 2018
  • 5,476 Views, 499 Comments

Prince of Errors - David Silver



All I want is a place where I fit in. Where people are happy to see me and I'll always have a part to play. Is that so much to ask? HiE, Ponified

  • ...
27
 499
 5,476

6 - Work the Camera

He trotted lightly down the Ponyville road. Ponies swerved to avoid colliding with him, but paid him no more mind than that. He was a pony-shaped tree that they had to avoid to continue on their days, worthy of no further consideration than that.

Sure, he could, in theory, wave one of them down to strike up a conversation, but he had a place to go to too. What would they even talk about? On one level, it was good for all parties, on another, he hoped, just a little, someone would greet him unexpectedly.

Rarity's Boutique sprang into view as he took a turn. It loomed in defiance, daring him to approach it and interact with the seamstress that owned it. Rarity wouldn't be too bad to work with, right? Besides, she loved attention, and that was what he was there to deliver.

He looked down at his camera as he went. It had one big button to take pictures with, and he felt bits of knowledge coming to the fore. He knew how to focus it, and how to mount it up on a little tripod that was hiding inside of it. He knew what the ideal lighting was, and felt impressions of good angles for the shots.

One thing that was not clear was how the pictures he took got anywhere useful. He assumed his curse would handle that. Somewhere else, the pictures would just, poof, appear where they were needed and all the ponies would accept that the pony he was disguised as put them there without even thinking about it, because he had no idea where that place would be.

He softly tapped a hoof on the door. "Missus Rarity?"

The door swung inwards. "In here, Darling, but I'm afraid I haven't given my hoof away just yet."

Why had he said missus? He quietly berated himself as he stepped in past the door and reached a hoof back to close it. "My apologies. Are you ready to have some pictures taken?" He felt the background fall away. He was in a role. As far as Rarity and anyone around her was concerned, he was important, for a little while.

He looked around the boutique and all its clothing options. Hats, dresses, pants, skirts, and other manner of pony covering options were laid about in an order he knew not. Shopping for that felt extra useless with his curse deciding what he should wear when he wasn't basically invisible to start.

"It's no problem at all, Dear," assured Rarity as she entered with a coy smile. "Some stallions like to check to see if things have changed, but I am pleased to report that I am still available." She put a hoof on her chest, tittering softly in much the same way the prince had when he was wearing the Rarity suit. "Now, let me show you the new lineup so we can get some fabulous pictures."

Was he not taking pictures of her? Dress shots made more sense, when he thought about it. It was what she did, and she wasn't really a fashion model. That would be--

Fluttershy walked in, blushing brightly with a dazzling sequinned dress that clung to her curves in a way that fluffy pony fur normally didn't allow. It was at that moment that he could see why ponies thought Fluttershy was attractive. Rather than any sudden want to approach her, he just felt a wave of unease wash over him and his cheeks warmed to match hers. "Do I have to?" she quietly whispered towards Rarity.

Rarity threw a leg over her back. "Please, Darling, just for a few minutes. Our handsome photographer will take his shots and you'll be on your way. You're doing me quite a favor, I assure. Humor me."

He sat on his haunches and grabbed the camera in his hooves. Holding it out just so, the tripod fell right out of the bottom and clacked against the floor as it deployed, giving the camera a secure foot to rest on. "Don't worry, Miss Shy, we'll get your good side." Did she have a bad side? When she was sad or stressed out, he supposed. She was just shy at the moment, and that only made her somehow more attractive.

She smiled at him, nervousness on display. "Oh, alright... Um..." She turned a little, her wings spreading just faintly. "Like this?"

Every move she took was somehow making it better. "That's great." He pressed the button, click! First picture of the day. "Turn to the left and look like someone you haven't seen in a while just walked in the door."

Fluttershy obediently turned as she gasped with surprise. Click! "Like that?" she asked with a soft blink.

"Yes, perfect." He wasn't sure the pictures he was taking were perfect, but trusted the curse to give him the right skills if he trusted in them. "Now one of your animal friends just did something naughty."

Fluttershy tapped a hoof on the ground with a little frown, glaring at an invisible animal friend. Click! She burst into airy giggles. Click! "Oh! I didn't know you were planning on that one."

"I wasn't, but it was great. I hear you were a model, once."

Her blush returned with a fury. "That didn't... work out."

He dimly recalled the episode in question. "You were fine, they were just pushing you too hard. You're perfectly photogenic just the way you are." Click.

Rarity reminded them both she was there with a sudden twirl of a hoof. "Fluttershy, dear, could you turn about for our friend so he can get all the angles?"

Fluttershy squeaked in surprise, starting to turn in place. Click Click Click Click. He rapidly took pictures as she went to get a quick shot of the full rotation. "It's a shame," the prince said as he clicked away. "You really are worth taking pictures of."

She tilted her head at him, blushing a more diffuse but wide-spread expression. "T-thank you, I think, but I would rather be with my animals rather than posing, if you don't mind."

"I could take pictures of you with them," he said without really thinking it through. "That would be adorable." And maybe a little... He shook the inappropriate thought from his head. Fluttershy was an innocent creature.

Fluttershy tilted her head. "Do you think so? Hm." She looked towards Rarity. "Maybe I should call him before we do the next big animal adoption push. I bet he could take some lovely pictures of them for us. He seems interested." She was suddenly far less shy, thinking about how she could help her animal friends instead of focusing on his taking pictures of her.

He clicked softly, capturing that moment of confidence on her face. That was worth saving, and she, and the dress, looked different in that instant. "I would be happy to help!" Would he? Would the pony he was replacing end up having to do it? He hoped that pony would enjoy the job. "Now think of all those happy animals, being taken care of." He pressed down the button, capturing her radiant smile, thinking of happy animals instead of being photographed.

"Excellent work," whispered Rarity in his left ear, standing beside him. "Somepony's getting a fat tip when this is over."

He liked tips! It was also a little nice to know he was doing a good job. He didn't pick the jobs, but it was still good to know he was doing it well. "Are there any other dresses we want to photograph? There are so many, uh, great pieces in here." He had no idea which ones were new or in fashion. He hoped that was not needed information.

"Do you think we have enough of Fluttershy?"

"I think she's good to go. Thank you, Fluttershy. It would be nice to get another chance with you and thanks for being a sport."

"Oh, um, you're welcome." She dipped her front lightly. "You are a lot less... pushy than Photo Finish, um, don't tell her I said that." She glanced around nervously as if the other photographic mare might pop up at any instant.

"Have no fear," he assured. "It's my job to capture photos, not gossip. I, uh, want to capture 'ze magics', not create it myself."

Fluttershy smiled at that. "Yes, I see... Thank you." She turned and walked quickly from the talk, stiff as that looked without breaking into a proper trot.

Rarity circled around to replace Fluttershy's place, eyelashes fluttering. "I'd ask you to capture me, but I'm not wearing one of the ensembles." She gestured to the left. "But here we have a few." She pulled one dress forward, a dark purple, clearly evocative and sultry. "Go on."

With her holding it? It wasn't his job to question, he decided as he took quick clicks of the new pieces as she went from one to the next. Some were on ponyquinns, and those felt more natural, held in a pony-like shape as he captured their images. "You've been busy, Rarity."

"One has to be," she deferred. "In this business, you're either racing for the top, or wallowing at the bottom, and I'd rather not take the latter if it can be avoided. You know how it is." She reached for him suddenly, a hoof on his cheek as she leaned dangerously close. "Thank you for coming out. I had the most dreadful dream that you wouldn't make it, but I took a deep breath. 'Darling', I told myself, 'He'll come and his pictures will be wonderful!'"

He took a half-step back, escaping her sudden presence. "No problem, um. I should get these developed, and I'll have to pick the best ones." He reached for his camera, the tripod snapping up into the thing from beneath before he strapped it back ground his neck. "Glad you're happy with it."

"I'll be even happier when I have the pictures in hoof. Go on." She shooed him away before freezing. "Oh, how silly of me." Her horn glowed as a bag slipped free of her. "Good work deserves good pay. I'll bear you in mind for my future needs if these pictures are even half as good as I think they will be." She drew out a collection of bits in her magic, setting them on his upturned hoof.

They bits looked fancier than usual, higher denomination coins that they were. He nodded towards them and the mare that was giving them. "I hope you'll be more than happy with them." A thought tickled at him. "You know... if you want a session more about you, the maker, instead of the clothes..."

"Can we?" she almost jumped forward. "I never would have thought..."

He doubted that. "It could make a good piece. I'll have to, uh, pitch it past a magazine or two and see what they think." He pocketed the funds and turned for the door. "For now, let's get these pictures."

"Yes, let's. Ta ta, Dear." She waved gently as he departed. As soon as the door closed, she stopped thinking about him, or rather, the prince. She remembered the photographer and would speak well of him.

But that incarnation of the photographer was gone, color fleeing him rapidly. His camera broke apart into sparkles that fled away, hopefully to have their photos developed and dropped off wherever they needed to be. He really wasn't sure how that worked, but it seemed to do just fine.

He was a monochrome alicorn of no importance. He did have a nice stipend of bits from that job and the few others that he really hadn't had much chance to spend. It was the perfect time to flee! He started in a gallop towards the train station, glancing around nervously, lest--

"Hey there," enthusiastically exclaimed the pink menace as she bounced right into his path of fleeing. "How'd it go? Was she amazed by your super awesome pictures?!"

Author's Note:

Thought you could get away, did you? Prince of typos, it's not that easy.

Want to get your own story written or get this story updated more often? Want to just support the author in his writing? Join the atreon!

Join my discord to chat!