• Published 15th Sep 2018
  • 4,071 Views, 148 Comments

Harmony Unfurled - Saturni_Rose



The continued AU wherein Luna became the protagonist instead of Twilight. Now she faces a bigger challenge than fighting her demons; drawing up the courage to reconnect with her sister.

  • ...
7
 148
 4,071

Part 1: A daring question.

The first official month of summer had come to pass. Solstice was now a fading memory. Moving on, however, proved a touch tricky. This year’s Summer Sun Celebration had been punctuated by the longest night Equestria recalled seeing in a long, long time. All was set to rights, though, by Ponyville’s latest denizen: a navy blue alicorn by the name of Luna.

The revelation that she was Celestia’s younger sister, and once a princess who ruled by her side surged slowly over the city. And as these waves crashed upon the outskirts, curiosity was killing the locals. Inquiring minds led the bodies attached to them to the library, where Luna now lived and worked. How could one come from such wealth and luxury, only to now settle for something so quaint?

After a month, the novelty wore off. The flood of questionnaires became a trickle of those who, shockingly, actually had need of the library itself. And so a routine settled in for Luna, long after her official statement of trying to live on her own had been passed around in idle gossip. Or, as Pinkie Pie had put it, bridle gossip.

But the end of the week had come once again, in the first full week of the new month. Six in the afternoon struck on every clock that kept up. So with a smile on her face, Luna gathered up the various chairs in the library, grouping them into a small circle in one corner of her building.

Plumheart was the first through the door, surprisingly punctual. Then again, it was his day off from the fruit stand. “Heya, Luna.”

“Hello.” greeted Luna with a smile.

Next came Pinkie Pie. In with her she brought a tray of banana nut muffins, complete with chocolate chips. It was a new recipe her boss had shown her, and she hoped to impress. “Oh, by the way, Rarity told me to tell you, ‘Pinkie Pie this is important, please settle down, alright? Tell Luna I’m terribly sorry, but I can’t make it tonight. Sweetie Belle has a summer fever, and I want to keep an eye on her. Oh, thanks for the muffins. Wait, no, don’t tell Luna that part as well. Pinkie? Pinkie!’”

Luna snickered, taking one muffin off the tray. “If you see her before I do, tell her I said we’ll miss her. These smell nice.”

“Can do!” Pinkie nuzzled in under Luna’s chin, then headed in to settle in the forming circle.

Last to join them was the one who called them to gathering in the first place. A lavender alicorn ducked in through the door. She wore no crown nor robe, but rather came along in a black cloak that swallowed her torso, complete with hood drawn. It’s not that Twilight loathed the attention. Rather, it was a new experience, and she hadn’t completely adjusted.

Luna approached as Twilight pulled back her hood. “Princess Sparkle.” She bowed her head low with a smile.

“Now, Luna, we’ve been over this.” Twilight tried to blow her purple bangs out of her eyes. She was about due for a trim, but hadn’t gotten around to it. Exciting goings on had buzzed all through her summer thus far. “You needn’t be so formal with me.”

“Friends we may be, Twilight. But I’m one old-fashioned pony. And old habits die slow.” Luna gave her a laugh and pulled her into a hug, taking her in under her wing. She took her to meet the others.

“Thanks again for opening your home to us, Luna.” Twilight cheerily sauntered along.

“The downstairs area is public access,” Luna told her sternly. Her expression eased, though as she followed. “Really, I should be thanking you. A book club was a wonderful idea. I’ve read so many stories this last month, and it garnered some much needed attention for the library. Not to mention, it’s given me an excuse to spend time with my friends.”

Before joining the others, Twilight turned to look over her shoulder expectantly. “All your friends, and me?”

Luna gave her a most puzzling look, stopping in her tracks. “Twilight, dear. You are one of my friends.”

Twilight smiled at her, and she at Twilight. “Okay. Good. I’m glad.”

A moment later, all the ponies were gathered round in their little chairs. The muffins had found their way to a table nearby, for any to enjoy. And out next to them had been placed several copies of the same tale: Daring Do and the Quest for the Sapphire Stone.

“So,” bade Twilight with an excited air, “would anypony like to go first?” She beamed toward her tall blue friend. “Luna?”

A cup to her lips, Luna blinked, unresponsive for a moment. Awkwardly, she set her water down and cleared her throat. “Well, I don’t know if I should really start. I fear my notes on this week’s novel might not be the most informed. Seeing as how I’m new to modern literature, and all.”

“Nonsense,” Twilight reassured her. “There are no bad notes here.”

“Yeah,” agreed Plumheart in his usually raspy tone, “I’d love to hear what a former princess, and a current princess have to say about an adventure story.”

“Please, Plumheart. Luna and I aren’t regal ponies when we’re in book club. We’re all friends here, having a civil discussion about literature.” Twilight playfully waved her hoof in a dismissive manner. “Besides, though I’m not caught up, I actually love this series.” She hugged her own personal copy closer to her chest with a smile.

“And therein lies my issue,” groaned Luna, bewildered with woe. “I actually… don’t like it all that much?” Luna felt the sting of judgemental looks. Pinkie Pie had muffin crumbs tumble down her chin, and it seemed like such an accusation. Twilight’s jaw actually hung agape.

Plumheart, however, simply quirked a rakish brow. “Now, now, you two. ‘No bad notes here,’ right? Go on, Luna. Explain your feelings.”

“Well, I mean…” Luna drew uncertain breath. “I guess adventure books simply aren’t for me?”

“How do you mean?” Now Twilight was curious to hear this as well.

Luna hesitated, chafing the back of her neck. Her hair tumbled to one side, much like her own waffling. “I’ve been on adventures. A lot of them. And some of them don’t exactly have the best endings for me.”

Twilight reflexively covered her mouth. “Luna, I’m so sorry. I hadn’t thought about that.”

“Twilight, it’s fine. I’m fine.” Luna blankly looked past her, out the nearby window.

Pinkie Pie saw that face. She knew it well. It was a face she had once sculpted into the shape of a cake, to prevent Luna from making that very expression. It was that “I’m still coping with everything that’s happened to me, but I’m also still too scared to make myself vulnerable enough to talk about it just yet” look.

Or maybe it was just the tired face of a mare who was still adjusting from having finally re-entered the workforce; the subtlety was all in the eyebrow placement. Either way, Pinkie knew she had to lighten the mood. So she set into motion.

“Well why nut talk about it?” Pinkie bopped her tray like she was whacking a mole, except not a real mole, because she’d never do that, but the little fake ones in the game. She hit the tray like one of those. And one of her banana nut muffins sailed through the air like a graceful dove. A real dove; not some fake dove made of metal or plastic, used in some carnival game.

Luna reflexively ducked, but sure enough, she still managed to nab the errant muffin out of its arc with her telekinetic grip. She took a bite; it was delicious. “Pinkie, this is delicious.” She took another bite, mumbling through the chewing. “But what are you talking about?”

Pinkie didn’t answer at first. She put her hooves against her chair, and pushed. All the other ponies in attendance traded looks as the furniture slowly scraped across the floorboards. And when satisfied that her chair was finally close enough to Luna’s, Pinkie hopped back onto it, and nuzzled in under her chin. “It can’t be all bad, right? Are there any non-adventurous parts you enjoyed?”

“I didn’t care for the protagonist much either?” She asked it like it was a question, as though she expected some answer. But the answer was probably that she was digging a deeper, more awkward hole. A hole she’d need more than this muffin to fill.

“To be honest, yeah, I can see that.” Plumheart scratched under his chin.

“Whaaaaaaaaat?” Twilight was incredulous. “You both are crazy. I love Daring Do. She just wants to get these relics safely to a museum, and all these dangerous things keep happening around her. It’s thrilling!” Now she felt like it was her playing defense.

“Well see, and meanin’ ya no offense, your majesty, but that’s kinda like, the thing?” The earth pony rubbed his hooves against themselves, only slightly nervous that he was about to disappoint royalty. “Like, that’s kinda all she has going for her, ya know?”

“Being noble is admirable, and it makes her a likeable character. But it leaves her feeling a bit flat.” Luna shrugged, almost bumping Pinkie by accident. “Oh, sorry.”

“No prob!”

“Hmm.” Twilight thoughtfully tapped her chin a few times. “I can see where she lacks a little depth. I guess I just liked the idea that a pony as bookish as me was capable of these kinds of capers.” She fiddled with a couple locks of her own hair, dejected.

“Wow, but you’re a princess.” Plumheart gaped at her. “You’ve gotta be like, super capable and magical, and stuff.”

“No, I get it,” Luna said sternly, locking eyes with Twilight when she did. “On some level, I related to Daring Do as well; she’s not totally devoid of depth.”

Twilight curiously perked up. “How do you mean?”

“There’s at least once or twice, where Daring Do questions herself. She sits down, in between all the traps, and fighting treasure hunters, wondering if she’s doing the right thing. You know, nopony from these other cultures asked her come onto their lands, and rescue their relics for them. It’s a duty she’s filled into out of a need, but not desire, from any party involved. So that question, if it’s just, hangs heavy on her from time to time.”

Everyone looked at her, pondering her critique. Luna herself, took a drink of water, and shied away back to her muffin. “I don’t know.” She shrugged and continued. “I found that part of her character interesting.”

“I hadn’t thought of it like that before.” Twilight nodded affirmatively. “I’d certainly noticed that she questions her actions from time to time, but I really like your interpretation. I think your right, without that aspect, she’d be a much flatter character.”

Luna put on a weak little smile, her confidence returning slowly. She nudged Pinkie beside her. “What about you, Pinkie Pie? You’ve hardly said a word about the book itself. Wouldn’t you also like to give us your insight?”

“Oh, right!” She bounced in her seat. “The stunts were a lot of fun.”

Luna nervously looked away from her. “I thought they seemed a little… unrealistic.”

Pinkie uncharacteristically grilled her with a burning look. “Luna, we watched Applejack fall out of the sky, and save herself by lassoing a tree, and swinging away.”

“Okay, well… you’ve got me there.”

“To be honest,” interjected Plumheart with a smirk, “the goofy stunts are kinda my favorite parts. Like, I know they seem pretty impossible sometimes. But that’s like, part of the fun? I keep reading these to see what creative way out of it Yearling comes up with this time, ya know?”

“So you’ve read the Daring Do series before, Plum?” Twilight brimmed with a curious smile.

“Yeahhhhhh,” he admitted, seemingly embarrassed. “But I ended up starting with the second or third book, I dunno. Though it’s kinda interesting, going back, and seeing how ah, Yearling’s prose has improved.”

Twilight nodded, assured. “There’s improvement in the second one for sure. And I think book three is where she really hits her stride.” She lovingly ran her hoof over the cover of her personal copy. “But I’ll always have a soft spot for the humble beginnings.”

A light came on in Luna’s head. She thought back over Daring Do’s adventure, and those paragraphs she’d found so monotonous. Perhaps she had been unfair, just because she felt she’d been through all of it before. But that connection, that wonder about doing the right thing… that would stick with her always.


The sky dozed off into a sleepy orange as the hour grew on. The sun would set soon, and book club had ended. Plumheart, first to arrive, was now first to go. He bumped hooves with Luna on his way out, thanking her once again for the invite. Pinkie Pie went next, but not without a huge hug, from which she almost seemed to refuse to let go.

“Here,” insisted Pinkie Pie. She took up her tray, but left the last two muffins. “You keep ‘em, Luna.”

“Oh, Pinkie, I couldn’t.” Luna had already received so much food from this filly. She’d barely managed to finish that cake made to resemble her face, and she felt bad about it. “You’ve been far too generous with all the baked goods, honestly.”

“Oh pshaw, it’s nothing. Honest.” Pinkie hopped into the air like a gleeful hare, such that they would be eye to eye. Or rather, nose to nose. Mid flight, she pecked their noses together so softly, one might think they heard a squeak, as though they were a pair of dolls.

No, wait, that was Luna. Luna squeaked, and her cheeks felt flushed and fuzzy, facing this fluffy form of affection. Finally fleeting from fluttering on fickle feelings, Luna fumbled for response for her favorite flunky. “Okay, Pinkie, I’ll keep the muffins. Thank you.”

“Anything for my berry best friend in all Equestria.” Pinkie gave her a wink.

Luna shyly peered over to see if Twilight was watching any of this embarrassing display. Luckily, she was still sifting through the shelves for more copies of next week’s book. “I’ll bite,” she said, returning to Pinkie. “Berry?”

“Foreshadowing for next week’s baked goods!” Pinkie pondered her wording just then. “Oh, ‘foreshadow,’ that’s a book term! I punned by accident.”

A laugh blurted forth from Luna. “Oh dear, it’s just because you’re so good at them, I suppose. You could likely do them in your sleep. Speaking of sleep, I guess we’d best bid each other goodnight, finally. For real this time.”

“Okay, okay, gosh. Sorry I keep avoiding it, it’s just hard to imagine not getting to see you for a whole week.”

“Well I’m always around, you know where to find me. But I understand, there’s such sorrow in goodbye.” Luna craned her head and gave Pinkie’s forehead a tiny kiss, relishing in her giggle. It was just so very good to have laughter in her life again. “Goodnight, Pinkie. For real this time.”

“Goodnight, Luna!” She stowed the tray in her bag and turned about. Then she hummed a little tune, skipping along with her own melody on hooves light as air.

In time, Luna found herself no longer lingering by the door, and back in amongst the books. Twilight graced her table with another copy of the book in question. “Ta da. One extra copy of Shadow Spade and the Murgese Falcon. Why’d you wanna do this one again?”

“Rarity suggested it, and I felt a little intrigue would be a good compliment to the adventure story.” Luna dragged a cart along, replacing some returned books she hadn’t gotten around to earlier.

Princess Sparkle idly tapped her hooves on the table, watching after her. “You know, if you wanted any help organizing the books, I could lend a hoof. I created a whole system for the archive in Canterlot castle, it works wonders.”

“Well it’s definitely too late in the day to overhaul the entire library now.” When Luna glanced over, she saw one incredibly mopey princess. Twilight was tracing a sorry circle on the table, dejectedly avoiding eye contact. “But I certainly wouldn’t mind the help another time.” Luna eased her expression as Twilight beamed.

“Great! Next week, I’ll bring by the binder I used for that little project.”

“Speaking of the castle, though, won’t they start missing you soon?” Luna set the cart aside to loom over the table next to Twilight.

Nervously, the princess fiddled her hooves against themselves, not really wanting to respond at first. But one raise of Luna’s concerned brow was all the grilling Twilight could take. “Aw, they can wait another half hour. Or a full one even.”

Luna placed a gentle hoof on her shoulder. “Twilight? Do you not want to go home? Because if this has anything to do with the spat between my sister and I, th-”

“No, no, Luna…” Twilight clasped that hoof between her own, reassuring the old alicorn as best she could. “It has nothing to do with that, I promise you.”

“Then what?” Luna had to know.

“It’s just good to get out, you know? And have friends I can just hang out with.” She let go of that pretty blue hoof, and her gaze wandered off, dusting listlessly across the floorboards.

Luna claimed the chair next to her and stretched her wing across her back and shoulders. “Twilight, dear. Do you not have friends?”

“I did. I mean, I guess I still do.” Twilight’s tone was uncertain, almost confused by her own explanation. “It’s just, Moondancer and the others, we all used to hang out together between classes. But ever since I became a princess, they’ve all been so weird around me.”

Luna tilted her head to one side, drawing Twilight so she’d look at her when talking. “How do you mean?”

Twilight reluctantly looked into her eyes. “It’s like they don’t see me anymore; Twilight Sparkle, the girl they grew up with. They see the crown on my head, and all laughter dies, and in its place is born cold and calculative respect. Followed by bowing.”

Gently, Luna rubbed her back. She shook her head. “And you don’t want that.”

“No, I don’t want bowing. I want friends.” Twilight huffed, laying her head down into her crossed hooves on the table. “I only ever get to hang out with princess Sunset and queen Celestia anymore.”

“Right, Sunset. Which one was she again?”

Twilight lifted her head again, remeeting Luna’s eyes. “Oh, that’s right. You still haven’t met Sunset Shimmer, or Cadence for that matter. I really ought to introduce you girls at some point.”

Luna grimaced. “That can wait.”

“Heh, okay, fair enough.” With one weak laugh out of the way, Twilight felt somewhat waylaid, laying her wayward head back onto the waiting table, wilting into a wavering exhale. “May I be honest, Luna?”

At first, Luna did not quite like the sound of that. But part of her was quite curious. More importantly though, she hoped Twilight would trust her to be rather open. “By all means.”

“The real reason I wanted to do this book club with you, besides you know, loving books of course, is I was hoping to make some new friends.” With a guilty expression, Twilight chewed the edge of her own hoof. “Maybe even a couple of your friends?”

Luna stared down at her, somewhat taken aback. “Well, Twilight, I… How to put this?”

“Hmm?” Twilight lifted her head once more.

“They might be my friends, but that doesn’t mean they belong to me.” She put her assuring hoof on Twilight’s shoulder. “If you’d like, I could try a little harder to get a couple of them on board.”

“No, you don’t have to do that for my sake.”

“I’m serious. Rainbow brushed me off pretty quick last time, but I think the book we talked about this week could really hook her.” Luna’s hoof fiddled with the loose copy of Sapphire Stone, in idle consideration of her plan. But then another thought occurred to her. “Though now I’m curious. Why my friends specifically?”

“My friends got all weird and awkward after I was crowned, like I said.”

“Right?”

“I figured, your friends don’t seem to have any issue hanging out with a former princess. So maybe a still reigning one could work out too. I mean, I dunno, it all sounds so dumb when I say it out loud.” Twilight turned loose in a flash of frustration, leaving the table and Luna behind.

Luna hurried after her, catching up before she could reach the door. “Come now, Twilight. Please. It’s not dumb, and neither are you.”

Twilight paused donning her cloak. She was about to raise the obscuring hood, but stopped with a sigh. “Then why do I feel so dumb about all this?”

“That’s not a fair assertion, Twilight. What you are is lonely. And trust me, when I say I’ve been there, you know I mean it.” She met Twilight’s curious gaze, watching the initial confusion give way to revelation, and fade into a sort of reverence.

Twilight admired the eyes hers were locked with. They had seen so much, such that their immense wisdom seemed to radiate like an aura. “Right, I’m so sorry, Luna. I bet my problems must seem awful petty compared to all you’ve been there.”

Luna clenched those wise eyes shut, drawing a shuddering breath. “N-no, Twilight, see, that’s not…” She met her eyes again. “That’s not what I meant. I don’t want to make this a zero sums measuring contest of suffering. Bringing up my own suffering is really, quite honestly, and I cannot stress this enough, the very last actual thing I want to bring up, basically ever. Understand?”

Twilight’s ears folded back and she shrank under her. Those eyes she’d been admiring suddenly seemed so intense. If one didn’t know any better, they might even say they impress as draconic, at a glance. “R-right. I’m sorry.”

Now Luna’s own ears drooped, and her shoulders went limp. She took one step back, then another, shaking her head. “No. Twilight? I’m the one who’s sorry. I shouldn’t snap at you over that, none of it is your fault. I don’t know why bringing up my past tries my temper so bad, but now…” Forlorned, she left Twilight there by the door, slowly loping away on her pathetic cantering hooves. “I understand if you want to leave now. I won’t keep you, just… I’m sorry.”

Twilight watched her try to hurry away. She had to say something. No, she had to do something. But what? Her body went into motion before her mind had formulated the next step in the plan. Or a plan at all, for that matter. Even as she flanked a surprised Luna, she realized there were perhaps thousands of different actions she could take, and how they might even make things worse between them. The choice and pressure were overwhelming, and a single bead of sweat heavy as a lead ball formed beneath her bangs. So instead of choosing and thinking, she did what came natural.

Luna stumbled to the side, struggling to maintain composure and balance both, as she found herself suddenly embraced by the princess beneath her. “Oh. Hello there.”

“Sorry, I should’ve asked before touching you.” Twilight hesitated a loosening grip.

“No, no, you’re fine. It’s fine. I’m just curious.”

Twilight let go regardless. She gave an explanation as though she herself didn’t fully believe it. “I don’t know, it just felt sort of like, the right thing to do, I guess. Sorry.”

Luna had to cover her mouth, but it was a vain attempt at covering her snicker. She had to recover this, as Twilight puffed up, seemingly offended. “I don’t mean to seem like I’m making fun. But you did seem to have a little trouble with the getting down, is all.”

“It’s not my fault you’re so tall!” Twilight’s cheeks were the sweetest shade of magenta, like flavorful berries ripe for the picking.

“Well, I appreciate the effort, all the same. It was very kind of you to try and comfort me, though you didn’t have to.”

“I wanted to. Because…” Her head drooped, as though Twilight struggled to look Luna in the eyes when saying this. She didn’t know why, she couldn’t understand it. It wasn’t like math, or science, where rules of logic, and the mechanics of the universe governed a predictable, desired outcome. Even magic, seemingly random at a glance, could be made sense of; specific intentions, energies, and even sometimes incantations, or components, they all lead to specific spells. And if there was anything Twilight knew, it was nearly every spell and its counter in the archive. So why did her words fail her now?

“Because?” Luna peered a little closer to see she was nervously biting her lip.

“Because we’re friends, aren’t we?” Twilight finally dredged her head up from her woes, facing an alicorn rather taken aback. “I mean, are we friends?”

“Yes.” That had been enough hesitation on Luna’s part. Any further would’ve been torturing the poor girl. And that, she simply couldn’t abide. “Twilight Sparkle, we have certainly become fast friends. If anything, I’m almost hurt you’d even question that.”

“Our introduction was a little shaky. Plus, I did sort of barge in on you, and impose with my want for a book club.”

Luna shook her head, not hearing of it. “In the past,” she declared, defiant. “And I loved the idea of a book club as well. We’ve both been able to meet new ponies because of it, and each of us has a new friend.”

A puzzling look befell Twilight. “We do?”

“Of course!” Luna playfully tussled her hair. “Each other, you silly filly.”

“Oh! Duh, hahaha!” Twilight held onto her side as she laughed, her wings fluttering with involuntary spasms of good humor.

The sound was almost like music to Luna’s ears. How she had missed laughter and joy. “Tell you what, princess. Why don’t you head on home now, and get started this week’s book. In the meantime, in two days’ time, I was going to meet Fluttershy and Rarity for tea and brunch in town.” She tapped her chin, as though she were pondering, but her teasing grin gave her away. “I’m sure they won’t mind if I bring a plus one along.”

“I’d really like that. Thank you so much, Luna.” Twilight practically smiled with her very eyes. She hugged her once more, less awkwardly this time, and said her goodbyes.

Just as the duo headed for the door, which was still open from when Pinkie left, another pony approached it from outside. “Hello, Luna? I know you’re probably about to close, but I have something for you.”

Luna exchanged a look with Twilight, before heading toward the door. “Mayor Mare?”

Sure enough, Ms. Mare climbed the steps and entered through. “Oh, hello princess.” She bowed, deeply as she could with those old knees. When she rose again, she adjusted her glasses. “Sorry to intrude on your company.”

“Nonsense, it’s very nice to see you again.” Twilight cheerily nodded her head.

“How can I be of assistance, mayor?” A very unique feeling occurred to Luna, that revelation being that she was now outnumbered by ponies with more authority than her. She wasn’t entirely sure how she felt about it.

“I just wanted to swing by for this.” Mare started sifting through her bag, and produced a small package. “This is addressed to you, but it ended up at my office. Guess somepony from Canterlot doesn’t know where you live.”

“C-Canterlot?”

“Mm, yes. There’s no word on a specific sender. It simply reads ‘From: The Royal Court of Canterlot.’ Which, by the way, I would’ve had this out to you sooner, but somehow it ended up in my backlog for the day. Sorry about that.” She placed the box onto the nearby table and turned about, sufficiently done with her job. “The sun has set, so I’m heading home. Sorry to interrupt you and your guest, Luna.”

And out the door she went, almost as suddenly as she had arrived with this dreaded box with its nearly toxic aura. Luna stared at it, unblinking, the grimace forming at the corners of her mouth. Yet even as she felt her breathing grow shallow, Twilight appeared by her side.

“Aren’t you going to open it?” She nodded idly, even vaguely in its direction.

Luna looked at her, nonplussed. “Do you know anything about this?”

Twilight could only shrug. It was a more honest gesture than perhaps Luna had ever seen.

“Would you like me to open it?”

“I’m just as curious as you are.” Twilight flicked her horn, passing it along and thinking nothing of it.

“Okay, but I’m doing this to settle your curiosity, not mine.” Luna frowned, considering this mysterious little box. Sitting down, she turned it about in her hooves, as though it would erupt with a fireball at any moment. Yet no fire came, and she was almost disappointed; the physical pain might actually be easier to deal with than this turmoil. Because even though it didn’t have her name on it, Luna knew Celestia was behind this.

I can’t imagine the point of this, she thought to herself. Is it merely some gesture or bauble to win me back? Does my sister honestly believe me so desperate and alone in this world that I could be so easily bought? Insulting…

She’d kept her audience waiting long enough, however. So Luna tilted her head, and flicked her horn. The tape peeled off the sides with a sickening tearing noise, like the claws of a predator raking through the brush, ready to pounce. And when she folded back the top panels, within she found a medallion of some sort on a ribbon, no longer than the box was wide, and an open envelope folded over itself underneath.

The torture was prolonged. With a huff, Luna unfolded the envelope, and peered inside. Within was a letter, and six other, smaller papers. Those, she set aside, to gloss over whatever message Celestia had prepared for her. This was no doubt dictated by some poor unicorn servant, roped into mediating between the two of them. Nevertheless, she read aloud.

“Dear Luna… We have it on good authority that you, and your five friends are responsible for the return of the sun, via the vanquishing of Nightmare Moon, and simply cannot thank you enough. Within this package we have delivered unto you an Equestrian medal of honor for your brave deed.”

Twilight scooped the medal out of the box with her magic for a better look. She asserted the authenticity with a curt nod, so Luna continued.

“We apologize for its being waylaid, however, we here at the Canterlot court had been deliberating on hosting an official ceremony to bestow it upon you. After considerable arguing, we thought it best not to push you and your sister into the same room just as of yet. When you two make up, though, we’d be more than happy to grant you that official… okay, etc. I’m not reading the rest of this.” Luna rocked her head back, and the loose paper went spiraling over her shoulder with a snort.

Twilight timidly placed the medal by the other portion from the envelope. “Well, don’t you at least want to know what these other slips of paper are?” As soon as she said, idly flipping one over, recognition struck, and her eyes lit up. “Wait, I know what these are! Luna, look, these are tickets to the Grand Galloping Gala!”

“A gala?” asked Luna, disdain still not washed from her face. She craned her head and retrieved the letter, skimming to the bottom. “PS, We’ve included one ticket for you and each of your five friends to the Grand Galloping Gala at the turn of fall. We hope to see you there.”

“Oh my gosh, Luna, this is great!” Twilight bounced in place with glee.

“It is?” Luna wasn’t convinced.

“Ah, this is so great. This was going to be my first time at the gala as well.” Twilight took hold of Luna and spun about, dancing with the reluctant blue pony. “I’ve never been to a big event like this, and I was so worried. But now I’ll have a friend there with me, a real, honest friend!”

“Twilight.” Luna halted their next rotation, finally regaining control of the situation. With her hooves firmly planted, she braced for one very disappointed look. “I don’t want to go.”

All joy melted away from Twilight’s face like ice in the coming of spring. Her ears drooped, not wanting to hear that, and she screwed up her mouth with one lip curled. “W-what?”

“I don’t…” Luna bit her lip and tried to untense her muscles. “I don’t think I want to go.”

“Okay.” Twilight’s eyes could not have been more blank if they were completely white and devoid of any and all detail. “Why not?”

“There will be a lot of ponies there, and I’m not ready to face a crowd like that.”

Blank as they were, those eyes still manage to narrow with suspicion. “You mean your sister will be there, and you’re not ready to face her.”

“I-it’s both. Can’t it be both?” Another sigh escaped Luna, because she knew Twilight was onto her. “Alright, what do you want from me? It really is a little bit of both, but yes, mainly it’s Celestia.”

“I don’t mean to chide you. Really I don’t. But just how long do you think you can keep avoiding her?” Twilight watched her turn her back on her. “Luna?”

“I don’t know.” Luna refused to turn around. She couldn’t. Her eyes wandered through the nearby window as what little of the sun sank unto the horizon, being swallowed up by darkness. “I’ve hurt her so much. After everything I’ve done, intentional or otherwise, how can I face her?” Her wings fidgeted and her head drooped, sinking like the sun beyond. “How can I make it right?”

Twilight came along to her side and gave her ribs a decent little nudge. “Don’t make a habit of this sad turning away from me thing, huh?”

Luna peered up at that jeering grin. “I’m sorry, what?”

“It… that was a joke. Sorry.” She looked the other way and coughed.

“Marks for effort, Sparkle.” grumbled Luna.

“Look,” bade Twilight, sounding exhausted from all of this, “I can’t tell you what the right thing to do here is. That’s up to you, to decide what’s right for Luna.” She pointed at Luna’s chest for emphasis, but ended up poking it by accident. “If you think you’re ready for her by fall, that would be great. But if not, that’s fine. And although I’d really love to have a real friend at the gala, it wouldn’t be right of me to pressure you.”

“The right thing…” mumbled Luna, more to herself than anything. She then turned to face Twilight one last time. “Okay.”

“Okay?”

“I’ll think about it." rasped Luna. "For you.”

Twilight gave a warm and simple smile. “Thank you.” She glanced outside. The sun was gone. “I guess it’s getting late.”

“I suppose you’re right.” Her response was listless.

“See you at brunch?” Twilight returned her gaze, hoping for a yes.

“I’m thoroughly looking forward to it.” Luna took one step Twilight’s way, before she could turn to leave. Gingerly, she lowered her head and, eyes closed, gave the lavender alicorn a tiny little kiss upon her forehead, minding the bangs.

With Twilight’s cheeks flushing berry pink once more, her timid little voice became a squeak. “O-okay, see you then.”

Luna watched her pull on that hiding hood, to stow away her embarrassed face, and out the door she went. She flew skyward, creating a nice distance for her spell, and then, poof. A great big flash of pink light shone like a distant, mystical star. It faded, as quick as it appeared, like the flitting of the lightning bugs that gather during Twilight’s namesake. She was gone now, and Luna alone in the empty library.


Later that night, the stars twinkled like little gems against the canopy of black night sky. A waxing moon slid out from behind gray cloud cover, ready to taunt Luna with its pale radiance. Within the loft of the library, pink sheets upon a bed raveled and wrinkled. A certain dark blue pony rolled onto her back to count the tree rings in her ceiling for the third time that night. And once again, it failed miserably to distract her.

The thought occurred to Luna to read a little more of Murgese Falcon, but she knew she wasn’t in the mood for a single chapter more, let alone a page, or paragraph, or sentence, or word. Words, words, words. Black ink on white paper. She knew she’d retained nothing of the two chapters she’d already slogged through. The thought of rereading infuriated her.

No. she thought. It is not the book. But something else.

That which wracked her mind and kept her awake, she knew all too well. Even still, she tried, in vain, to simply not think about it. Thinking about it was an acknowledgement, after a sort. Acknowledging it meant she might have to face it, and sooner than she’d like. Facing it? Well, she really wasn’t ready for that.

Then Luna lost count of the rings. Her eyes clamped shut, and her nostrils flared. That poor, sweet pink sheet went right into the floor as Luna threw herself violently out of bed. With bags already forming under her eyes, she ambled across the room. At the window, she found that moon, not yet half full, mocking her. It was as though her former prison might reclaim her at any moment. Suddenly this loft of hers felt very small and tight around Luna.

But that was nonsense. The moon could no more reclaim her than she could reclaim her throne tomorrow. Luna blinked, and the walls of her room were right where she left them. Her breathing came easy once more. And that’s when she realized just how wrong that analogy was; the thought that she couldn’t reclaim her throne might not be entirely true. And it really made her wonder if part of her still wanted that.

Luna peered over her shoulder. On the bedside table, she kept the Element of Magic, which took the form of a crown when they Elements of Harmony bound themselves to her and her friends. All the others had received necklaces, but not her. She was gifted a new crown, of all things, above all else. So the question that had been hanging over her head like the old crown she felt she’d refused popped back into her mind yet again to haunt her.

“Am I doing the right thing?”