• Published 1st Aug 2012
  • 2,870 Views, 452 Comments

Brony Recon: Ascension - Freescript the Bard



The bronies of Brony Recon have spent two months in Equestria, and are moving on with their new lives. But life has other plans for the six former-humans.

  • ...
22
 452
 2,870

Chapters Next
Prologue Part 1: Cottage in the Winter

BRONY RECON: ASCENSION

>>> MarkusBrony (Skyblaze) <<<

>>><<<>>><<<>>><<<>>><<<>>><<<>>><<<>>><<<

Rainchaser's POV

"Rain, tell Dash that… that I love her…"

"Aegis, no!"

"Take care of her, Chloe… I love you…"

"NICK!"

>><<>><<

"Chloe!"

"Gah!" I flipped out of bed, bumping my wing on the bedside table, "Jeez, Aegis, find some other way to wake somepony up on vacation!"

Aegis looked at me with his green eyes. "You were screaming my name in your sleep, Rain, I had to wake you--" His sentence was cut off by a pillow in his face.

"Keep it down, will ya? Tryin' to sleep here…"

"Sorry, Sky," we said simultaneously.

"Don't be sorry, be quiet!"

"Sorry!"

Facehoof. Skyblaze sighed. "As long as I'm up, Rain, I'm gonna have an expresso."

I blinked at him. "Expresso is evening coffee, Sky."

He rolled over and gave me a 'I'll give you five seconds to realize your stupidity look'.

Aegis was kind enough to save me. "For him, it is evening."

"Oh, right."

"But it's weird that you're going to bed so early, Sky. It's only seven."

"Ugh… I can't get a few more hours of sleep on vacation?" he said, sleepily getting out of bed.

"Sky, you've been sleeping in until seven every evening so far. You missed a lot of fun."

"Don't I know it. But it's hard to adjust, ya know? Especially when I've been doing this for a whole two months." Sky trotted groggily to the kitchen part of the cottage.

This week, the bronies all decided to take a vacation from all other ponies, and just hang with their fellow former humans. Luna was nice enough to lend her fiancé and us a small cottage in the foothill forests that line the feet of the mountains that make up Canterlot Valley. The cottage itself was nice, with an excellent view of the sunrise over the snow-covered land. It had bedding for eight, even though we only needed five (Aegis and I slept next to each other). Also, the woodland structure came complete with indoor plumbing and power.

Skyblaze, with expresso in hoof, joined us out on the porch. He sighed at the sunset. "Ya know, besides the trek to get here, this has been a pretty good vacation."

"Storm almost didn't make it. She kept getting woozy, and her knees wouldn't stop shaking." I replied. "I'm glad I was able to take care of her when things got rough."

"Yeah, remember the Running of the Leaves?" chuckled Aegis, "she was about to drop midway through it from an upset stomach, and that was before we knew…" Alerted to a malevolent presence behind him, he winced sharply and turned to see Storm in the doorway. "Um… hi, Storm."

"Well excuse me for being pregnant!" she cried, trotting quickly back into the house.

"Sam, wait I was just… Storm, please don't cry," Aegis hurried into the house after the emotional mare.

Skyblaze gave me a look. "So… do you think I should stay up for the day? Maybe Shift knows a spell…"

"Shift's been kinda weak lately, Sky. Without Twilight around, his magic's just as useful as Storm's."

"Well, buck. And I don't know a song that will help. Sometimes being a bard is frustrating…" He took another sip of expresso, then raised an eyebrow. "This is a good cup of joe."

"Oh, come on, Sky. We all know that you're afraid of using your power 'cause you're a megalophobic," I teased.

"Megalo-whatsit?"

"Means you're afraid of having power."

He said nothing, downing the last of his coffee. Then he began to sing. When Skyblaze sings with power, nopony can understand him. I don't even think HE knows what it means. It's all gibberish to us. It was a short verse, and a simple melody. Suddenly, his mug filled with another expresso shot. "It has it's uses."

"Okay, I gotta admit, that was pretty sweet." He shrugged and sipped his coffee. He then proceeded to gag and spit the musically-created concoction off the railing.

"Blekch! That was disgusting!" he exclaimed, sputtering. "Note to self: musical coffee is not good coffee."

I giggled at his misfortune. "Don't ever change, Sky."

"Actually, I wanted to talk to you guys about something…" he looked slightly downcast.

"What is it?"

"Luna and I had a talk before we left," he said, setting his empty mug on the railing. "How would you like me as an alicorn?"

Had I been drinking something at the moment, it would have met the same fate as the bardic expresso. Instead I just dropped my jaw. "How would you…"

"When somepony marries an alicorn, the binding of our hearts will also bind our fates, and may or may not make me immortal," he said awkwardly.

"WHAT?!" came the exclamation from behind.

Sky gave a wince. "Hey, Ben…"

"Immortal?! You're going to be immortal?!"

"That's kinda what an alicorn is, so yeah…"

"This is one of those things that I need to be TOLD about! Do you realize that a brony who never dies is the ultimate recipe for disaster?!"

"Ben, I think you're blowing this out of context…" I said, trying to calm the fuming green earth pony.

"Out of context?! You're taking this rather well, aren't you?!"

"Dude, focus. Lesson Zero, remember?"

He instantly calmed at the mention of the episode in which Twilight flips out because she had a late friendship letter. "That bad?" I nodded. "Sorry, guys, you know how I get."

Sky chuckled as he filled his mug with singing again. "Here, Ben. Have a gift of forgiveness." I snickered as Ben took the mug.

Shrugging his shoulders, he took a sip. "Blekch! What the buck was that?"

"Musical expresso," Sky and I gasped between laughs.

Aegis appeared from behind Ben, a regretful look on his face. "Storm's not a happy mare."

"What happened?" asked Ben.

"We were joking around and may have hurt Storm's feelings by mistake," mumbled Sky.

"Guys, come on, she's already emotional as it is!" Ben berated, softly facehoofing. "The next nine months are gonna be a pain if you egg her on."

I tilted my head, perplexed. "Nine? She's already two months in!"

"The gestation period for equines is eleven months," stated Sky.

"Oh." I need to borrow an equine anatomy book sometime. On second thought, maybe not. I can only wonder what Applejack or Rainbow would think if they caught me with a book like that.

Then, Skyblaze's ears perked up. "I have an idea, but it's insane and probably a long shot. Gimme the mug!" Ben hoofed over the mug and Sky sang more distasteful black liquid into it. "You know how pregnant mares get cravings? Aegis, take this to her. Remember, it may not work, so duck and cover if she begins to gag."

Aegis took the mug with a raised eyebrow, but complied, bringing it into the cottage. We all listened intently. A few moments passed where nothing was heard. "This is DIVINE!" We all gave a sigh of relief as Storm came out of the bedroom, levitating the mug in front of her with a smile. "Who is responsible for this amazing blend?" she asked, sounding a bit like Luna in her regal voice. The pregnant mare proceeded to down the mixture, whereas Sky sang more into it. The blue pegasus looked out of breath.

"You alright, Sky?" I asked.

"Yeah… bardic songs take a lot out of me."

"Ooh, musical coffee?" Storm's eyes widened. "It's brilliant, Sky!"

As Storm continued to drink the debatable beverage, Shift came out in unicorn form. "What's all the yelling about?" the Changeling asked sleepily. "I heard something about immortality, a bit of hormonal rage, and a little divinity… oh, and musical coffee."

We all stared at Shift. "Um, Shift, weren't you taking Storm home today?" I asked, trying to dispel the tension. Storm had experienced a headache yesterday that caused everypony to worry about her health, even though she claimed she was fine. Shift himself wasn't all that well, either. Used to the unbound love Twilight feeds him, the Changeling felt almost starved, not to mention feeling guilty about using the forms of Rainbow Dash, Derpy, Luna, and Caramel to feed off their respective lovers.

"Yeah, you guys gonna be okay without my magic?"

"You may be more powerful than any of us when you're feeding off Twilight, but right now you have the magical ability of Skyblaze with a sore throat," Ben remarked. Suddenly, the sound of a familiar incomprehensible singing rang through the air, flinging Ben across the deck with a two-line tune.

"You were saying?" chided Skyblaze, his breathing slightly heavy.

"I was just making a point!" Ben grumbled, "in any case, I think we'll be alright without magic for a while."

"If you're sure…" said Shift, still chuckling, "c'mon, sis, let's get packing."

>><<>><<

Shift's POV

"Know any road games?" asked Storm with a smile.

"I Spy, Cloud Charades, Impressions…"

"Impressions? Against a Changeling?" She raised an eyebrow at my false unicorn form.

"Riiiiight… Cloud Charades?" I suggested.

"I get neck cramps really bad."

"Since when?"

"Since we came to Equestria," she said reminiscently. We continued on the path in silence for a few moments longer, hugging the side of the mountain.

"Are you sure it's not because of--"

"I'm sure," she replied irritatedly. The taste of giddiness disappeared, leaving the tangy flavor of annoyance. I was lucky I could taste emotions, as I could better predict Storm's hormonal mood swings. …and right now, we were between a rock wall and a cliff. Enough said.

"I'm gonna scout ahead if you don't mind," I said, trying to let the mare alone so she could blow off some steam. She nodded, the irritating taste in my mouth letting up. I changed into my true form and buzzed off on insect-like wings. I could have easily changed into a pegasus and flown with no difficulty, but I needed the practice with the translucent wings.

Nopony could teach me how to use them, as feathered pegasi fly differently. So I practiced as much as I could, learning how fast to beat my wings to ascend or descend, or how to angle them to change direction. While not as fast as pegasus wings, I could fly in any direction, even backwards if need be. As Sky explained it, it was like Changelings are helicopters, while pegasi were planes. Either way, I still needed practice.

Continuing above the trail, I scoped out the narrow mountain path. I kept Storm in my line of sight, in case she needed any help. Really, there was not much to see with the mountains on one side and the expanse of snowy conifer woodland on the other. This forster would eventually turn into the twisted trees of the Everfree. Normally it would be a five hour hike, but with Storm the trek was lengthened to a good eight hours. It was fortunate that the path wasn't iced over.

I glanced back to see Storm waving at me frantically. Wondering what could be so important, I circled back to check on her. "What is it, Storm?" I asked as I landed. She gave off the taste of discomfort.

"I gotta… you know…" She looked at me awkwardly.

"You have got to be kidding me," I said, facehoofing, "I asked if you had to go before we came on the path!"

"Well, I didn't have to go then!" she countered. "Besides, I may as well have diarrhea with how often I--"

"Okay, okay! I get it!" I said desperately. "But where are you gonna… wait a minute."

"What?"

I changed, taking the form of a Royal Guard pegasus. "I can carry you down to the forest!" I exclaimed, extending the large wings of the ponies that pulled chariots for a living.

"So, how's this gonna work, do I climb on your back or are you-- oof!" I picked her up with my hooves and glided down to the forest floor.

"Ngh… lay off the cupcakes, Storm."

"It's not my fault I have low blood sugar!"

Setting her on the ground before landing near her, I pointed her to a bush. "I'll be… over here," I stated, moving behind a tree. "Just, um… call… when you're done." Dear Celestia, this is not happening…

>><<>><<

I crashed Skyblaze's body in front of the library, the sun setting in the distance. Finally, some peace and quiet with Twi… The door opened, bashing me in the head. …light. "Dang it, Spike, that's the eleventh time this month!" I cried at the dragon.

"Oops, sorry Shift," he said walking out the door to run an errand. Then he stopped. "Oh holy guacamole! Twilight! Shift's home!" he yelled into the library.

Twilight came running down the stairs, stopping as she saw me. "Where's--"

"Oops, sorry," I said, changing into my usual unicorn form.

"Shift!" Twilight hugged me tightly and we shared a deep kiss. She was practically oozing love, my stomach soon full and my body full of power. "Why are you home so early, I thought you would be gone for another day!"

"Storm wasn't feeling well yesterday so I took her back today," I reported. "Caramel was excited to see her."

"Did you eat well, Shift?" she asked, hauling him inside.

"Um…"

"Shift, what did I tell you about not feeling guilty about other ponies feeding you?"

"I'm sorry Twi, I just feel weird when it's not your love," I rebuked, trying to flatter her.

"Flattery will get you nowhere, Shift." Crap, time for plan B.

I changed myself into a small colt version of my disguise and looked up at her with sad eyes. "I'm sorry, Twily, am I in trouble?" I said in my quivering young voice, imitating Elmer Fudd's idiosyncrasy.

"Act your age, Shift," she said, unimpressed. Okay, this is my last chance. Time for my secret weapon.

I stepped back and sat on my haunches, flashing green. I had turned into Fluttershy. Upon seeing one of her best friends, Twilight raised an eyebrow. I drooped my wings and ears and gave her my best sad eyes ever, complete with quivering lip. It was the cutest thing you had ever seen, even causing me to try to hug the mirror when in practice. It made you feel so guilty. I teared up and looked at the unicorn. Twilight bit her lip but made no move to do anything. Time for the finale…

I stretched out my yellow arms and very quietly, even softer than Fluttershy's normal voice, I shed a tear and whispered, "hugs?" The lavender unicorn gave in to the most powerful force in the universe and threw her forelegs around me, holding me tight. As I returned the embrace, I held out my hoof to Spike behind the crying mare's back, and bumped with his fist.

Author's Note:

MB: I had to put my iPhone down, walk into the next room, and cry big, manly brony tears of pure D'aww when I pictured this scene in my mind. Shift still can't contend with the real Fluttershy, though.

Skyblaze: Was there ever any doubt? You're still a complete wuss, bro. Anyway, this story won't be updated as much as To Live and Love in Equestria, but Markus promises it will be much better and MUCH longer.

Chapters Next