• Published 1st Aug 2012
  • 2,870 Views, 452 Comments

Brony Recon: Ascension - Freescript the Bard



The bronies of Brony Recon have spent two months in Equestria, and are moving on with their new lives. But life has other plans for the six former-humans.

  • ...
22
 452
 2,870

PreviousChapters Next
Song of Legends Part 5: I'm Going Home

Aegis' POV

Oh man… this is the third time this week I woke up with a splitting headache. But for some odd reason, the source of my pain was from a specific part of my forehead. When I put my hoof on my head, I discovered a painful bump, as of somepony hit me with a…

Oh.

"Well, well, well… the lost hero returns to the waking world."

"Summer…?" I mumbled, thinking I was still in the cottage, and the fight with the wolves was all a crazy dream. Heh… Princess Luna herself coming to save us… ridiculous.

"You wish, lover boy," said a voice with an all-too-familiar voice crack.

Wait, FAMILIAR voice crack? Why was it… oh holy Celestia. My memories… I remember Earth, the bronies, becoming a pony and going to Equestria, my friends Sky and Ben and Rainchaser…

Rainchaser…

Oh buck me.

"Hey, Dash, you think I should whack him again?"

I heard the sound of metal scraping off the table and shot up in fear of being knocked unconscious by the decidedly dangerous kitchen utensil. "I'm up! I'm up!" The strangest sight greeted my eyes. Standing in the middle of the single-room cabin was Rainchaser, Rainbow Dash, and Skyblaze. Luna, Twilight, and Shift were sitting around the table.

"Uh… how does one ask an amnesic if their memory has been restored?" Skyblaze asked rhetorically.

I rubbed my sore forehead with a hoof. "You pretty much got it down, Sky," I said. Abruptly, Rain tackled me, making me grunt as she pulled me into an embrace, and kissed my face multiple times. I ended her assault of affection by planting my lips solidly on hers. "Leave some for Dash, Chloe."

"Ugh, after that display?" Dash said in a disgusted tone. "I'll wait till we get home."

I looked around the room. Somepony was missing… "Where's Summer?"

Chloe rolled her eyes at me and glared. "Your earth pony fillyfriend is outside chopping wood or some hay. And before you ask, yes, she knows about you, Dash, and me."

"I need to talk to her," I said dejectedly, rising to my hooves. The rest of the ponies in the room aside from Dash had moved away and pretended not to notice the situation.

Chloe raised an eyebrow. "Uh-huh. What for, big guy?"

"Chloe, we spent the entire week thinking we had something neither of us would have with another pony. As much as it's awkward to admit, we… loved each other." There was a few moments of silence from the grey pegasus.

"If you're talking to her, I'm coming with you. As insurance." I felt hurt at her lack of trust. It's not like I'm gonna kiss her… right?

Trotting out of the cottage, I moved around to the back with Chloe behind me with a begrudging face. When I came into view of the lumberyard, there was a 'shunk!' as the axe came down, splitting the log on the cutting block. With a skillful whip of her moderately long tail, another log was swept from the pile onto the block.

"You're awake," Summer said plainly. She was facing away from us, avoiding eye contact.

"Yeah, I am." Why is this so bucking awkward?! I never had trouble talking to her before. Maybe the fact that Chloe was standing right behind me. Or probably the emotional stress on the pearl mare. Even though Chloe was there, I felt… alone.

Then I heard it. Barely audible in reality, but prominent in the quiet of the forest. A sob. A dry sob. One somepony would make when there were no more tears left to cry. With a mighty swing, another log was ended by the made as she broke down into dry heaves. It was truly depressing to see somepony as strong as Summer lose her composure. I even thought I heard a sniffle from Chloe.

Slowly, she turned to meet my gaze. Her blue eyes were tinged red from crying. She was giving me that look. The one that made me just want to cuddle her. I looked away from her to avoid the temptation.

"Summer, don't make this any harder than it has to be."

She sighed and placed another log for cutting. "I know…" she sniffed as the wood split. "It's just… when I finally have somepony to take away the loneliness, you have to go away…"

Chloe, I'm sorry, but I have to do this. I walked up to her and pulled her sobbing form close, causing a growl from my pegasus fillyfriend. Glaring at the pink-maned mare to silence her, I turned back to the pony wrapped in my forelegs. Summer had closed her eyes and was nuzzling my chest.

"Summer, I know what happened between us was something real, but with Rain, Dash, and I had a bond that couldn't be replaced. Especially since I have my memory back." I kissed her lightly on the head.

"You're pushing it, Nick," grumbled Chloe.

I continued despite the warning. "But that doesn't mean we can't still be friends. You could come with us."

"Excuse me?!"

"Chloe, this would be easier without you interrupting me." She muttered to herself irritatedly but complied. "There's another guest room at the orchard, or Derpy's house since she spends most of her time in Canterlot with Ben, anyway."

Summer blinked away ghost tears. "Are you sure your fillyfriend is going to like that?"

"Oh I can agree with it… if Aegis would take his hooves off a certain pearly mare in the next two seconds." With the threat of beat down by frying pan imminent, I detached myself from Summer. Chloe chuckled at my immediate haste. "If you're coming with us, start packing. We leave in an hour."

I raised my eyebrows at this. "Why so soon?" asked Summer.

"Dash and I have weather duty, and Aegis has some work to catch up on in the orchard," Chloe replied, turning to me. "Caramel's been working overtime to make up for your absence, so you also owe Storm an apology."

I gave her a smile. She glared, but smiled back. I put a hoof on Summer's shoulder and led her to the cottage. "I suppose I'm cleared?" I asked Chloe as she joined us.

"Oh, hay no," she replied. "When we get home, you can clear up with Mrs. Frying Pan."

Oh, buck.

>><<>><<

A FEW DAYS LATER

>><<>><<

Skyblaze's POV

The night was clear. Perfect for flying. The cool breeze flowed through mane and tail, ruffling my coat. Angling my wings slightly upward, I let the refreshing wind keep me aloft, hovering above the clouds. As I did, the wind blew through my feathers, providing a soothing cool to my wings.

I hummed a tune to myself. The air in front of me glowed golden in response. With a simmering light, a gilded cloud appeared for my midair rest. It was a Tune I've been working on for a while, as the notes had to be exact. A Tune was different from a Song because a Song required vocalization in the Archaic Tongue, while a Tune was directed by a series of precise notes and used less energy than a Song. Even so, I still felt light-headed after the cloud had taken shape.

Flopping down on the cloud, I reclined myself, putting my hooves behind my head. A nap would do me good until Luna was finished with that wedding business she was doing. It was a week until Hearth's Warming, the day Luna and I get married. It was only four days after we come back from Earth, so we had to get the whole wedding organized within that timeframe.

When I had told Luna about the three day retreat for us bronies, she immediately invoked her royal position to join me on the trip to Earth tomorrow. I guess it would be a good opportunity to tell my parents I'm getting married in another dimension to a character from a cartoon. On top of that, I'm a pony. That might be good to mention.

"Dozing off again, Sky?"

"Just waiting patiently for you, beautiful."

Luna joined me, laying down on her back next to me. "You are advancing quite fast with your bardic studies," she remarked, shifting in the cloudstuff. "This cloud is extremely comfortable."

"Ah, so you like the feel of my magic?" I said slyly.

Luna glared at me. "Was that supposed to be dirty?"

"Depends which context you take it in." Thank you senseless lawyer-like classroom environment known as high school forensics.

Luna promptly kissed my cheek and wrapped her hooves around me, her mouth moving from the side of my face to my lips. She stopped and met my gaze with her beautiful teal eyes. "Does this answer your statement?"

"You're sexy with the moon behind you."

She smirked at my remark. "So I'm not any other time?"

"Oh hay yes, you are," I rebuked. "But the moonlight brings it out. You kinda hide it with your regality."

She raised an eyebrow. "My… regality?"

"Yeah. I guess probably it comes with being an immortal princess-goddess of the night and all that jazz."

"So what you're saying is that being a Princess is a turn-off?"

"Not when I can look past that and see the beautiful mare I fell in love with." I cupped her face with a hoof and kissed her deep. I am such a sweet-talker. We broke away and stared into each other's eyes. When my ADHD decided I needed to move, I sat up on the cloud and looked out over Canterlot Valley into the Everfree Forest. "C'mon," I said to Luna, "I want to show you something."

We took to the air, the golden cloud disappearing beneath us. The landscape passed quickly by below us. Wind ruffled our… er, my …mane, as Luna's was ethereal and unchanging. As we neared the destination, I tucked my wings for a free-fall descent. Being skilled in the way of aviation and read a few books written by past Wonderbolts and stunt-pegasi, I was qualified for many different kinds of aerobatics. Including pulling out of a terminal velocity drop at the very last moment. In my usually cluttered mind, I calculated my rate of descent, made adjustments for crosswind and air pressure, formed an estimation… then flared my wings at the golden moment.

PIFF!

A plume of dirt flew up into the air as my hooves hit the ground, jarring my legs and throwing me forward about ten feet. Note to self; increase flare altitude by five meters approximate. Postscript; landing on your face hurts at terminal velocity.

"Aw… did somepony fall down and go 'boom'?" Luna chided as she landed with grace beside me.

"The fall was intentional. The 'boom'… not so much."

"I would recommend reducing your flare altitude by five--"

"Duly noted." I picked myself up from the dirt and shook myself like a dog. I looked around the small grove of trees we landed in. The trees were pure white and had leaves despite the cold weather. Even the canopy was pale. "We're here."

Luna glanced around at the albino woods. "A ghostwood? Rather creepy, don't you think?"

"That's what I thought too," I replied. "But check this out." I cleared my throat and inhaled. Calming my mind, I released the breath in the first five notes of the My Little Pony theme.

Luna watched in amazement as, with every note, the trees flashed a different colored light. The spectrum ranged through every color of the rainbow, each tree flashing a different color for each note. In a spectacular display, the ghostwood turned from mildly morbid to lively and colorful.

"Sky… how did you find this?" Luna asked, her eyes wide.

"I was going for a night flight while you had Night Court and I saw this place, so I landed here for a nap," I explained. "But I couldn't sleep, so I whistled a tune and to my surprise, the grove lit up in all da colors o' da rainbow!"

I found a small incline in the clearing and lay on my back, motioning for Luna to do the same. "That was beautiful…" she said as she settled down next to me.

"You ain't seen nothing yet," I replied. I calmed myself again, letting the Archaic Tongue flow to my mind. Exhaling, I sung in the ancient language. It was a slow, smooth song. Instead of flashing, the trees' colors simply shifted through their hues, the entire grove lighting up in a continuous myriad of color. Luna and I bathed in the lights of the trees. Within the song, I input a small line that allowed the melody to continue without me actually singing.

"Which Song is that?" Luna asked in wonder.

"It's not a Song. Just a short love melody in Archaic. But the trees like it a lot."

As I listened to my own voice repeat the song, Luna rolled toward me and embraced me with her forelegs. I returned the gesture, wrapping myself around her neck. Being smaller than her, I was the one cuddling up against her chest. Sure, it was a rule sixty-three thing for the guy to be the one in the girl's arms, but I didn't care. As long as I was with Luna. The love of my life and my soon-to-be wife. Burying myself deeper in her coat, I pressed up against my fiancé and sighed. She tightened her grip around me to reinforce the movement.

"Sky, honey?"

"Yes, Lulu?"

"What is that song about?"

I nuzzled her before continuing. "It's about a stallion from a far off land who journeyed to the city of his dreams. But then a loose stone in the wall caused a section to crash down on him when he arrived. He was saved by the lady of the castle in the city. They fell in love the moment their eyes met."

Luna wrapped her neck around my head and giggled slightly. "That sounds like a very familiar story. I wonder who wrote it."

I allowed myself a sly smile as I kissed her chest. "He's laying in your arms right now." Eventually, the shifting rainbow of colors induced a peaceful sleep, with dreams of our future in our heads.

Many of them had a small foal between us.

Author's Note:

MB: Cruddy plot-line emotional part, beautiful sideline emotional part. I am not sure if that's sad or just… I don't know…

Skyblaze: Commendable?

Luna: Misplaced priorities?

MB: I was going to say favoritism for my own OC, but those work too.

PreviousChapters Next