• Published 1st Aug 2012
  • 2,870 Views, 452 Comments

Brony Recon: Ascension - Freescript the Bard



The bronies of Brony Recon have spent two months in Equestria, and are moving on with their new lives. But life has other plans for the six former-humans.

  • ...
22
 452
 2,870

PreviousChapters Next
Song of Legends Part 1: Tortoises and Explanations

Rainbow Dash's POV

It felt good, having Chloe in my arms and wings. Just as good as being in hers. Even better than that, her lips on mine. "I miss him too, Chloe." The kiss wasn't an intimate one, but a small lock of our mouths for our comfort. "I love you."

"I love you too."

Even though the music had stopped, I held my fillyfriend in my arms, resting my chin on her pink mane. We were still swaying slightly, the tune echoing in our heads. Kissing Chloe on the forehead, I held her out at a foreleg's length and have her a reassuring smile.

"C'mon, Chloe," I said. "We still have the day ahead and cloud-or-tree napping abroad!"

She giggled at my proclamation. Breaking out of my grip, she fluttered up the stairs. I watched her leave until she was out of sight. I then sighed a in sad breath. Shaking my head, I bolstered myself again. I had made it this far, and I was going to make it longer.

Exiting the living room and going into the kitchen, I pulled out the carton of eggs. Twilight had told me that I should start every morning with a ton of protein and carbohydrates and some fruit to maximize my exercise routine. Whatever that means. The only thing I got from that lecture was to eat eggs and some fruit.

I scrambled the eggs with some vegetables and cheese while chewing on an apple. It was a recipe Aegis had taught me called an 'omelet'. Aside from meeting Twilight's dieting plan, it tasted really good.

As I nibbled on the tasty breakfast, I couldn't help but think about the maroon stallion. He was always there for us, even if he couldn't fly. When I broke my wing and got a concussion from a particularly painful crash into the library, he was there when I woke up. When I was called to perform a Sonic Rainboom in the opening ceremony of this year's Best Young Flier Competition, he was cheering in the stands, curtesy of a cloud-walking spell from Twilight. And when Chloe we thrown out of that club for getting into a fight, he went out to be with her.

"Gah!" There was a cry from the top of the stairs and the sound of Chloe tumbling down them. "Tank! Watch where you sleep, you dang turtle!"

"Tortoise!" I called, giggling. The slow reptile always seemed to get in my fillyfriend's way.

"Whatever!"

>><<>><<

"So, cloud or tree?" I asked Chloe as we circled Ponyville in the air, looking for a place to take our daily nap.

The pink-maned pegasus put a hoof to her chin. "Normally I would pick cloud, but today feels like a 'sleep among the apples' kinda day." I noticed she was wearing her mane in a ponytail, something she neglected to do since getting back to Ponyville from her time with her friends.

"Tree it is, then!" I exclaimed, angling my wings into an aileron roll-dive toward Sweet Apple Acres. I flared my wings slightly when a familiar white cone began to form around me. I had been able to do a Sonic Rainboom on command ever since Twilight's brother's wedding, and now I had to restrain myself from doing so. Applejack would be ticked if I shattered every window in her house… again.

Another reason for slowing was Chloe. While my fillyfriend was a great flier (taught by yours truly), she wasn't really the fastest pegasus in Ponyville. She struggled to keep up with me in high-speed maneuvers and lost our occasional races by a long-shot.

Flaring my wings for a final approach, I landed gingerly in a gala apple tree. Gala apples were always Chloe's favorites, and the trees had the best napping branches. Now, in the December snow, the trees were barren of apples, but still had wide enough branches for both Chloe and I. Settling in the crotch of the tree (that's what it's called, so stop laughing), I waited for my fillyfriend.

A slight sagging of the branch and a panting noise told me she had landed. "Took ya long enough," I teased.

"Shut up and move over," she responded with a giggle. I shuffled over, allowing room for her grey body. Laying down next to me, we cuddled up next to each other and sighed as we let the increased oxygen levels of the lower altitudes lull us in to a drowsy state.

Even in the chilled December air, our bodies' heat warmed us to a comfortable temperature. Nestled among the branches, we fell asleep in each other's arms.

>><<>><<

Luna's POV

"Looks like the Alyiess are blasting off again!" Skyblaze shouted as he bucked the remaining cultist off the balcony. "Seriously, though. These guys are hardly dangerous. I don't even think they're combat-trained."

"From what our intelligence force tells us, they recruit from the general public," replied Shining Armor, his wings once again hidden beneath his armor. "So it's typical their fighting skills are… less than adequate."

"We have an intelligence force?" asked Sky in a curious voice. "Bucking sweet!"

I examined the broken window through which the cultists accessed the palace. "It's a shame they had to desecrate the Royal Library," I said, fixing the glass with a spell. "Good thing no books were harmed in the process."

"Uh… your Majesty?" a bat-guard unicorn inquired, picking up a book. The tome immediately fell into two halves.

Skyblaze glanced at the top half and immediately facehoofed. "I don't think anypony's gonna miss a copy of 'A Comprehensive Guide to Potato Farming'…"

A pegasus guard with bat-wings shot Sky an annoyed look. "Me family happens to own a potato farm!" he argued in a Gallopway accent.

I put a hoof over my face in exasperation at my personal guard's outburst. "If you're so concerned about it, Shamrock, then I can have a complementary copy sent to your family's estate," I replied. "Now, please help the rest of the squadron round up the serving ponies and the librarian."

With the bat-guards left to their duties, Skyblaze picked up the book he was reading and placed back on the reading stand and started looking for his page. "Ah! Found it…" he said out loud.

Wondering what subject had my normally distracted fiancé so enthralled, I peeked over his shoulder. "'Alicorn Magic: An In-Depth Explanation of our Princesses' Powers'…" I read. "May I ask why you are reading into me and my sister's magic?"

"Shift asked me to." Ah, so he was commissioned to do research. That made more sense. "He wants to know how Twilight became an alicorn. All he could tell me is that she was attempting to brighten the stars for a certain area, but she needed a generous portion of shadow magic."

I raised a brow at him. "How did Twilight gain this shadow magic?"

"Shift fed it into her. A ton of it," he replied, spreading his hooves for emphasis.

Oh sweet Fausticorn. "I… I think I know what happened." Skyblaze looked at me with an interested expression. "Twilight's magic is mainly light, and she has a lot of it. As you know, alicorn magic is connected to either a celestial form or force of the world."

"Like Cadence controls love or Shining has his force magic and shields," he said comprehensively.

"Or Tia with the sun and myself with the moon, yes." I settled myself down next to my love. "In this case, Twilight was casting a spell that was related with the stars, which was the celestial connection. Also, because Shift was feeding a large amount of shadow magic to pool with her light magic, she must have been magically balanced, creating an intonation with not only the heavens, but the very universe."

"So that explains that…" Skyblaze wondered. "But if alicorns are masters of a certain… thing, what does Twilight have power over?"

"Well, it can't be the stars, as I still have complete control over them." I put a hoof to my chin in thought. "Any ideas?"

Skyblaze rested his head on my front hooves, chewing thoughtfully on his lower lip. Suddenly, his eyes widened and and he jolted upright. "That's it!" he exclaimed. "Twilight is the Element of Magic, her special talent is magic, her body was magically balanced…" He stood and struck a victorious pose. "Twilight is the Princess of Magic!"

Before he could go into an over-loud speech about his triumph, I kissed him. In my opinion, it was win-win. I got to have a moment with him and avoid getting scolded by the librarian.

"Sorry," he apologized as the librarian gave us a dirty look. "What say we foray to your study so we may continue our discussion on the topic?"

"Agreed." I focused, and in a silver flash we had disappeared from the library.

PreviousChapters Next