• Published 1st Aug 2012
  • 2,870 Views, 452 Comments

Brony Recon: Ascension - Freescript the Bard



The bronies of Brony Recon have spent two months in Equestria, and are moving on with their new lives. But life has other plans for the six former-humans.

  • ...
22
 452
 2,870

PreviousChapters Next
Song of Legends Part 3: Stir Fried Manticore

Rainchaser's POV

"The Everfree Forest?!" Dash exclaimed.

I checked the seeking-shard again. The pointed end was pointing straight into the twisted woods. "Desafortunadamente, yes," I answered. "Why, are you SCARED, Dashie?"

She put on a challenging face. "Me? Scared? Ha! I'm not afraid of anything!" she said, but when she turned back toward the dark forest, her smile dropped. "Maybe a little nervous…"

I sighed and put the seeking-shard back in my saddlebags. It was going to be a long trip if Dash is getting anxious. I'll have to admit, with the prospect of timberwolves, ursas, manticores, and other terrifying things that go way more than bump in the night, it was getting hard to keep our composure.

In an attempt to get a feel for our path, I pulled out the map and unrolled it. "It looks like this is the fringe of it, so all we have to go through is a few miles of it before reaching the conifer woods on the other side," I assured. "And besides, we can just fly over it, right?"

Dash was staring up at the sky above the Everfree. "Hey, Chloe? Guess what we're NOT doing," she said sarcastically, pointing to where she was looking. Following her gaze, I was met with a downing sight. The sky over the portion of forest we were going to travel over was blanketed in an anvil-shaped thunderhead, unnaturally red lightning occasionally jumping from the cloud-tops. "That," Dash continued, "is an Everfree Electric Storm."

My heart sank as I looked at the raging tempest. I jumped as a bolt of crimson lightning leaped from cloud to cloud. "Okay… I guess we're walking then?"

Dash sighed frustratedly. She hated being grounded. For one, any pegasus hates being restricted to the ground, not being able to answer the call of the open sky. Plus, being forced to walk reminded Rainbow Dash of when Discord had taken her wings. Not always a good thing to have going for you.

"Well, we're not getting any closer to Aegis by standing here," she stomped her hoof. "C'mon, Chloe, let's get your coltfriend back!" Together, we charged toward the forest, a song of valor singing in our hearts.

>><<>><<

Luna's POV, a few hours earlier

"Skyblaze, could you please stop that humming?" I said, getting irritated at the constant noise.

He looked up from the paperwork he was helping me with. "Oh, sorry, Luna," he apologized. "I've just been practicing the Song of Valor, and it has this catchy tune to it. The original song was used by soldier bards on the battlefield to stir the hearts of their allies, sending them to glorious victory."

I put a hoof to my chin in thought. "That sounds rather useful. Why don't we use it more?"

Sky frowned and looked back at the paper on his desk. "The song may increase the bravery of those around you, but it also takes their self-preservation, often ending in tragedy if sung at a poor moment."

"Oh," I said ambiguously. "I see how that can backfire easily."

"Yeah, now what is it you want to do about this trade agreement with the settlement in the Crystal Mountains?"

>><<>><<

Rainchaser's POV

"Gah! Dash, a little help!" I yelled as I dodged another swipe from the manticore's paw.

"I'm a bit occupied at the moment!" Dash was being held in the scorpion-like tail of the creature. She struggled, but could not get loose. So that left me to try to free her. But there was a slight problem. Manticores, with the addition of the barbed tail, had clawed paws and pointed fangs. Once in a while, I had to dodge a swipe from the spur on the bat-like wings of the large predator.

I was on the ground for most of the time. While hovering, pegasi are limited in maneuverability. Had I been a Changeling like Shift, with insect wings, I could have easily taken this fight to a third dimension. So I was stuck with rolling, ducking, and diving over the frosty ground.

"Chloe!" called Dash as I jumped over another horizontal swipe. "In my saddlebags! There's a switchblade bracer! You gotta get to it!"

I dove out of the way of a paw, the furry masher crashing down to the earth where I once stood. "And how am I supposed to do that?!" I answered through the adrenalin. The bags had been thrown to the opposite side of the clearing, and standing between me and them was a carnivore the size of a tractor.

Dash was silent for a few moments, grunting as she was jostled in the scorpion tail's grip as I evaded the manticore's attacks. Finally, when her face came into my view, she gave me a 'oh bucking screw it' look. Whipping her head around, she bit down on the insectile appendage.

"RAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWRRRRR!!! "

Daaaaayuuum… judging by the amount of ichor that spurted from the wound, it was extremely painful for the beast. Not wasting any time, I bolted around the manticore for the bags. I had to move quickly, before the large lion-like creature regained its senses. I reache the bag and dug around with my hoof.

"Where the buck is it?!"

"How the hay should I know?! I'm a little tied up if you couldn't tell!"

"RAAAAAWWWWWRRRRR!!!"

The manticore had shaken off the pain. If anything, the experience had made it even more pissed. It spun to face me, it's eyes filled with hatred. Scraping the ground twice like a bull, the manticore pounced once and charged. Letting the adrenalin take over, I grabbed a random item from the saddlebag and whipped it at the manticore's face with both hooves.

BONG!

Metal contacted with the lion-head, causing the creature to become dazed. Curious, I looked down at the weapon that had saved my life. Between my hooves was the handle of a frying pan. "Dammit, Dash!"

"What?!"

"My life was just saved by a bucking frying pan!"

The manticore was about to roar at me from point-blank. In order to preserve my era and mane, I slammed the pan on its head again. But once it was again dazed, I continued my assault with the cooking flat, laying on hit after hit on the thing.

BONG!

CLANG!

PONG!

Finally, I let up my attack. The manticore swayed to an unknown tune, then fell as the unsung lullaby took it's hold. With the creature relaxed, Dash freed herself from the tail and made her way over to me. The cyan pegasus was covered in green ichor from when she bit the manticore's tail.

"Aww, man… this stuff's not gonna wash out easy," she complained.

I raised an eyebrow at her. "Since when did you care about how your coat looked?"

"Oh, I'm not worried about my coat!" she insisted. "I'm worried what RARITY will do to it."

>><<>><<

Storm's POV

"You know, I could help you guys around the farm…" I offered as we sat down to lunch.

"Sugarcube, y'all know Ah can't let ya do that, given yer condition," said Applejack firmly. "Caramel's mah cousin, and yer gonna be mah cousin-in-law. We Apples look after our own." She munched down on a bit of veggie stir fry I cooked up, her eyes widening in surprise. "Mah stars, Storm! This is mighty tasty. What is it?"

I shrugged. "A veggie stir fry with apples, onions, daffodils, snow peas, peppers, asparagus, and some teriyaki sauce. I make it for Caramel all the time."

Big Mac's reaction was about the same. Applejack shoveled my cooking into her maw, pausing only to face Caramel. "So ya eat like this all the time?"

My fiancé nodded. "She's great in the kitchen! You should try her… what are they called… omelets," he responded, looking at me lovingly. The praise made me blush and scrunch up shyly.

"What in tarnation is an 'omelet'?" asked the farm mare.

"An omelet is a breakfast food, a flat of eggs, cheese, and various vegetables," I answered. "I can't believe how your cookbooks lack the recipe, though! Next you'll be telling me you don't have French fries!" Big Macintosh gave me a puzzled look, confirming my suspicions. "You know what? Caramel, sweetie, is there any way we can have them over for dinner?"

"I don't see why not," he smiled.

"Great!" I pulled my own plate forward, lifting my fork with magic and scooping a bite into my mouth. Like usual, it tasted great. But something was missing… something salty or spicy. Or maybe sweet. "You guys have any hot sauce, do you? And could you pass the salt?"

Applejack glanced at me with a questioning look. "Sugar, Ah think it tastes fine. Why would you--"

"The Fillydelphia Hot Sauce is in the condiment cupboard, third to the left." Nodding my thanks to Caramel, I magicked the spicy condiment out of it's place and applied it to my food. Applejack glared at Caramel for interrupting her. "She gets cravings," he stated simply.

After a lunch of delicious spicy stir fry, Caramel and I walked home on the outer streets of Ponyville. After a while, I glanced at him, only to catch him staring at my flanks. "Enjoying the view, honey?"

He startled, his cheeks flushing red. "I was just wondering if your talent is cooking, but apparently not…"

I sighed. Rain and I have yet to find our cutie marks and respective talents. On cue, the Cutie Mark Crusaders rushed past, their capes flowing in the wake of Scootaloo's scooter. Had I not been… incapacitated, I would have joined them. It was a strange sight for an adult pony to lack a cutie mark, and often received strange looks from other ponies because of it.

I was so deep in thought, Caramel had to grip my tail in his teeth to keep me from colliding with Bon Bon. "Wah!" the sudden stop nearly jerked my front feet out, instead causing me to fall back on my haunches. "Heh, sorry, Bon Bon. How's it going with Lyra?"

She gave a frustrated growl, making me believe something went wrong with their meeting. "Sorry, Storm. Our relationship is going great! We've been on a date almost every night. We even shared our first kiss together, I must admit," then her face fell. "But the reason I'm feeling down is because Derpy's twice blasted coltfriend just HAPPENS to be a human that just HAPPENS to also be a pony."

I froze at the mention of my friend. "You mean Kind Greetings, green earth pony, white mane, crystal necklace?" I asked. Bon Bon gave a sideways nod. "And he told Lyra he was a human because…"

She huffed. "Apparently Lyra has a high position in some 'Extraterrestrial Embassy' that requires that all non-Terran lifeforms have to be registered, or some other hay," she said begrudgingly. "Let me tell you, when she gets back from wherever in Equestria they went, she's gonna get it."

"Did Ben mention any other human-ponies in Equestria?" I asked worriedly.

"He said there were four others, why--?"

"Wellnicetalkingtoyouseeyouaroundtownbye!" I grabbed Caramel with my magic and power-walked away from the confused mare.

Author's Note:

Skyblaze: I'm telling you, since I'm two years older, I'm the boss of you!

MB: You're only seventeen! Plus, I created you, and that makes me your technical father and ME the boss of YOU!

Luna: Well I'm YOUR fiancé and YOUR favorite pony, plus I'm four and a half thousand years old! So that makes me top pony AND the boss of both of you! And I am telling you both to SHUT THE BUCK UP!!!

Skyblaze & MB: But he…

Luna: NOW!!!

Skyblaze & MB: Yes, Luna…

PreviousChapters Next