• Published 1st Dec 2018
  • 734 Views, 83 Comments

Not Another Speedwriting Fic - Admiral Biscuit



A collection of speedwriting fics from Trotcon, EFNW's Iron Writer competition, and various other places, submitted here for posterity.

  • ...
6
 83
 734

Trotcon 2018

Rainbow Dash and Featherweight on the Moon
Trotcon 2018
Admiral Biscuit

The moon was very far away. Everypony knew that.

Princess Luna had once been on the moon. She was the only pony who had been, as far as anypony knew. This was, of course, a sensitive topic for both Luna and Celestia, so nopony had asked either diarch directly.

Rainbow Dash often sat on a cloud and contemplated the moon. It was further away than any cloud she knew of. As high as she’d flown on weather patrols, the moon had never appeared to get any closer.

She was going to fly to the moon.

This was certain. This was a fact, as much of a fact as Celestia raising the sun every morning.

Rainbow was a brash pony, and even she knew it. Thus, she kept some of her bragging to a minimum, not claiming that she was going to do something until she had actually accomplished it once.

And, if she’d kept her muzzle shut, nopony would have ever known that she planned to fly to the moon.

Scootaloo had been feeling down about her inability to fly, so Rainbow had tried to cheer her up the only way she knew--by bragging that she was going to fly to the moon.

Scootaloo had mentioned that to the other Crusaders. One of them had told Twist who had told Rumble and then word had gotten to Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon--neither who would have confronted an adult mare, no matter how ludicrous her claims.

Word had eventually gotten to Featherweight, who was clever enough to recognize a newsworthy story when it fell into his lap.

When he asked Rainbow for an interview, she realized that it was time to put up or shut up.

Rainbow was not a big believer in thinking before speaking (or thinking in general), and after winging her way thorough an interview, she began preparations in earnest.

Flying from the ground was impractical. Rainbow needed a higher launch point, which meant either a cloud or a balloon.

Staging took the better part of a day, along with special dispensation from the weather team. Snacks were cached on the clouds, and she took flight from Ponyville at sunset.

She did not make it to the moon. She was far, far above Ponyville when she finally tyurned back. So far that she could not see buildings on the ground, only small points of light that were Ponyville and Canterlot and Cloudsdale.

For all of Rainbow's brashness and bravado, she knew that it would take her time to build up her strength and endurance, so every day she flew higher and higher. She got a scarf and then a hat and then a sweater.

It was a week before the moon got appreciably larger in her vision and full month before she got close enough to begin to decide on a landing point. There were all sorts of crates on the moon, and while the bottom of a crater might be an easier landing spot it was further to fly.

It was almost six months before her first almost-landing.

It could have been an actual landing if she had desired. She’d gone below the rocky lip of the crater, briefly entering into its shadow, and then she’d focused on the ground below her and it looked almost like sand.

Grounded ponies didn’t appreciate that there were different landing techniques for different surfaces from sand to grass, from water to cloud. But there were!

She would have, if she'd had less confidence in her abilities, and if her flight had had less historical import. Being the first since Luna to set hoof on the moon was a special occasion, one that she was determined to have properly documented.

So she told Featherweight.

The next morning, Featherweight gave her an exclusive interview and then she began cloud-hopping, working her way up further and further.

The moon wasn’t up yet, and she took her time.

She was at the highest cloud, and she could see it over the edge of the horizon. It was not visible to anypony on the ground yet and would not be for a while.

Experience was her guide for the next length of her flight--with no aerial landmarks, she had to choose a direct course to where the moon would be when she got there.

That was where the practice came in.

No longer did she look back at the ground. Only the moon, and her position in the sky.

She had to make a few course corrections, but not many, and then she was skimming over the surface of the moon. She came up over the lip of a crater and then glided down into the flatter terrain underneath . . . craters were almost like upside-down mesas.

The ground was sandy and loose, looser than she had imagined, and for a moment she lost her footing.

She flared her wings and then dropped back down again and then she was down on the moon, the first pegasus ever to set her hooves on the lunar body.


Featherweight flat-out didn’t believe her. The lunar dust on her hove and in her fur wasn’t proof enough, and she had flown out of eyeshot. Even Twilight’s telescope wasn’t good enough to resolve her when she got close to the moon.

Not that anypony called her a liar, certainly not to her face. And Rainbow wasn’t the cleverest pony, but the more she read Featherweight’s interview the more she became convinced that the reporter didn’t believe her.

She started to question herself, and flew another flight to the moon, just to prove to herself that she had done it.

And that was good enough for her.

Almost.


“I believe you, Dashie.”

“Thanks, Pinkie.” Rainbow fluttered her wings. “But hardly anypony else does. If Featherweight’s article hadn’t been so . . . so. . . .”

“Condescending?”

“Yeah.”

“He writes fairly.”

That was something that Rainbow Dash could agree with.

“Take him up there with you,” Pinkie Pie suggested.


So she did.

Author's Note:

This time at Trotcon, while I had to contend with an earlier panel time, I had no typewriter malfunctions and managed what I think was a reasonably decent story, certainly for the one hour period I had to publish.