• Published 1st Dec 2018
  • 732 Views, 83 Comments

Not Another Speedwriting Fic - Admiral Biscuit



A collection of speedwriting fics from Trotcon, EFNW's Iron Writer competition, and various other places, submitted here for posterity.

  • ...
6
 83
 732

EFNW 2021—Writing Workshop, Scene Descriptions

EFNW 2021—Writing Workshop, Scene Descriptions
Admiral Biscuit

This was from a panel by Vivid Syntax where he gave us tips and tricks for describing scenes, and then challenged us to try it first with the room itself, and then a photo from the show.

1: The Room
The first thing he noticed was sparkly marble or granite tabletops with mica or quartz sparkles in them, some look almost like gold. Creak of office chairs and the gentle clack of a laptop keyboard.

Steps down to each row, and industrial carpet with an unrememberable pattern. Sixteen TV screens on the wall, the white background on each not quite the same, ir is that a trick of the light? Music and shouting or singing from the hall outside, more distracting than everything else. Four mics on stands, but only one person at the table.

Our second task was to describe this scene, from both Diamond Tiara and Apple Bloom’s POV


Source


2: Diamond Tiara
I heard a commotion on the playground and trotted over with Silver Spoon to see what was going on.

Applebloom was up on her hind hooves spinning a hoop around her tail and a bunch of ponies were watching her all excited—I saw Berry and Noi and Dinky and Twist and that lavender filly whose name I can’t remember and of course her two loser friends cheering her on.

And then I got close and saw she had a cutie mark on her stupid flank, as if you could get a cutie mark by spinning a hoop. Her loser friends had made a fake one to show off to all the other loser ponies, and me and Silver Spoon were gonna have to put a stop to it so we could go back to being playground princesses.

3: Apple Bloom
Ah couldn’t believe it, that <Mcguffin> Ah’d gotten was really workin’; Ah was up on mah hind legs twirling a ring around mah tail and ah had mah cutie mark and everypony was so happy for me, ah even forgot Scoots and Sweetie hadn’t gotten theirs yet.

Ah saw Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon comin’ along with a scowl but ah didn’t care. F:yay:k that b:yay:h.