• Published 1st Dec 2018
  • 725 Views, 83 Comments

Not Another Speedwriting Fic - Admiral Biscuit



A collection of speedwriting fics from Trotcon, EFNW's Iron Writer competition, and various other places, submitted here for posterity.

  • ...
6
 83
 725

The Stars are Gone

The Stars are Gone
Admiral Biscuit

Sweetie Belle looked dejectedly in her craft drawer. She’d just finished a piece of crayon art depicting The Great and Powerful Trixie defeating the Ursa Major.

Admittedly, she was taking some liberty with history, and she knew full well that her big sister hardly approved of the Great and Powerful Trixie, but art was supposed to be speculative. It was no fun to always make drawings of things that had actually happened, or—in the case of her many sketches of cutie mark potential—things that might one day happen, just not as soon as she hoped they would.

Her drawing was nearly finished. The Ursa had an ample coating of glitter to make him look more fearsome, and The Great and Powerful Trixie’s magic was also sparkling with glitter.

The sky overhead, however, was boring.

She’d wanted to color it black, but didn’t have enough of her black crayon left to color the whole sky, and Rarity yelled at her when she used makeup for art.

Glittering stars would be good enough. They’d get the point across that this was the night sky, and they’d add a nice bit of punch to the otherwise empty negative space on the drawing.

The only problem was the stars were gone.

Sweetie Belle wasn’t blessed with her older sister’s organizational style; she’d learned from Magnum that as long as you were good at remembering where you’d had something last, that was a good place to leave it, and it generally worked well for her. Except when Rarity moved her book bag after tripping over it, or lectured her on the importance of keeping dresses in the house and pinecones outside.

There was no reason for Rarity to have moved her stars, though. Her beautiful gold-foil stars, an entire sheet of them with only one or two missing.

Sweetie yanked the drawer out as far as it could go, ignoring the wave of glitter that slid up and over to the lip.

She ran her hoof through the clutter, finally resorting to dumping things out on the floor, and there were still no stars.

None of the other drawers in her desk yielded stars, either.

Sweetie sat on the floor and pushed her art supplies around on the off chance that the stars might suddenly materialize, but they did not.

Finally, she stood back up. There was no need to be disappointed. True, her art wasn’t finished, but that could wait. What was more important was the mystery of the missing stars. Prancy Drew wouldn’t just mope; she’d figure out where they’d gone.

“Cutie Mark Crusader Detective, yay!”

Sweetie bounded out of her room and down the stairs, trailing a small whirlwind of glitter behind her. Her first stop would be the treehouse—with Apple Bloom and Scootaloo on the case, she’d find her missing stars for sure, and maybe they’d get a cutie mark in detectiving.

Author's Note:

A speedwriting contest fic, in GaPJaxie’s new Discord group! (Note, Discord link will expire tomorrow at 6pm EDT)

We were all given an hour to write, but because work, I only had about 17 minutes. Turned out okay, got DQed in the first round by fics that were better.

Congrats to the winner, TheHatMan!