• Published 21st Jul 2018
  • 1,843 Views, 170 Comments

One Bolt, Spreading Harmony - Boltsinger



Responsibility has begun to come naturally to a certain orange stallion, but he's not that fond of the fuzziness of his memories. Especially once someone from his fuzzy past comes back to zap him!

  • ...
12
 170
 1,843

Does Helping Really Help?

The Ponyville train station was all but deserted in the early morning, completely empty save for one family on the platform. Twilight stood with Nova on her back and Scootaloo at her side, looking at Spike and Boltsinger with a worried smile. “Are you two sure you want to do this? You could be gone a long time.”

“Absolutely!” Spike affirmed, pumping his fist. “The sooner we get this done, the sooner Rarity smiles again!”

“And you’re sure you’ll be alright?” she continued, leaning close to her husband. “You’ve got everything you need?”

Boltsinger touched noses with Twilight, backing away with a nod. “I’m sure. I’ve filled my food bag and everything!”

With a light blush, Twilight took a step back. “I thought you might say that…” She inhaled sharply, lighting her horn as a veritable mountain of items poofed into view. “And that’s why I made a list of things to take with you!”

Boltsinger’s pupils shrank. “Wait what?”

Before he knew it, Twilight had placed a saddlebag on his back. “There’s some books to pass the time on the train.” She put a load of books into one side, forcing the stallion’s weight to shift. “A map, so you can mark where you’ve been.” A large scroll was placed next to the books. “I don’t think I’d have gotten through all my searches across Equestria without one.” She floated a tightly-sealed bag into the other bag. “A tent, just in case you have to camp out.” She followed up with a series of pots that dangled from the bottom of the bag. "Cookware," she tossed another thing in by the tent. "Fire starting tools," Finally, she piled several more books into both sides. "And last but certainly not least, instructions on how best to survive in any given situation!"

“Oh… wow…” he replied, straining to stand as the bags weighed him down. “Thanks, honey…” Within seconds, his knees buckled and he flopped to the floor.

A laugh burst forth from Spike as the stallion stumbled, sending him falling to the floor with his claws on his gut. “At this rate, we won’t make it off the platform! Much less all the way to Manehattan!”

A tiny smile crept onto Twilight’s face as she bent down. “I guess you don’t need all of the books… I just want you two to be safe.” She lifted the majority of the tomes away, pulling her husband into a hug. “It’s not gonna be the same without my boys around.”

“We’ll be fine.” he assured, returning the embrace. “Not like we can’t get back in a hurry if we need to.” He twinkled his feathers, a slight spark passing between them. The pair of them climbed to their hooves, Boltsinger lifting his son and nuzzling his cheek. “Daddy’s gonna miss his little Prince… You be good, okay?” Nova laughed into his papa’s cheek, giving a tiny hug.

As the Pegasus pulled away, an additional weight plopped onto his back, a light squeeze around his neck and next to his wings. “You’re gonna write, right?” Scootaloo asked, drawing Boltsinger’s attention to her dejected face. “You won’t forget?”

"We'll write every single day." her father affirmed, nuzzling her nose affectionately.

"It's not like he's going with the best mail-deliverer in Equestria or anything." Spike added, putting his fists on his hips.

Twilight pulled her faithful assistant into a tight embrace of his own. "And don't think we won't miss you too." She sat back as the train pulled up, the conductor coming onto the platform. "Just one question before you go."

"What is it?" the boys wondered.

Twilight rubbed the back of her head with a slight blush. "Where is the post office again?"


“How am I more tired after the train ride?” Spike exasperatedly asked, laying flat on Boltsinger’s back. "We slept almost the whole way here!"

"Eh. It'd be worse if we'd flown like I originally wanted." the Pegasus retorted, shuffling his weight to force the dragon upright. "At least we got some rest. Now comes the hard part…” He looked out on the bustling streets, his ears drooping a little. “Getting started.”

The equine hopped from the platform, the flow of hoofsteps sending him across the street before he knew it. Spike shuffled around on his back, sitting up and looking around. “So what’s the first stop? The park? How about Bridleway? Or Rarity For You!”

Boltsinger smirked. “You pretty much read my mind, Spike. I was thinking of asking Miss Pommel if she’s heard anything.”

Spike smirked back, settling into place at the base of the stallion’s neck. “So, Saddle Row, then?”

“Eeyup! Saddle Row it--”

“Can anypony please help me?!” came a distressed cry in the distance. A pair of orange ears twitched in the sound’s direction, turning the head of their owner at the utterance. “Somepony, please!”

“Hmmm…” the Pegasus in question started, his wing scratching his chin. “I kinda want to…”

“Oh no! Not this time!” the dragon pressed, pulling on the pony’s ears. “We have a job to do! We need to focus on it!”

“But--”

Spike’s pull turned to a yank, dragging those purple eyes forward. “I said no! We’re trying to find Paradigm! We don’t need you going off and helping everypony that needs it!” A small whine escaped the bluenette’s throat. “I know, I know, it’s hard. But I just wanna do this right. Besides, somepony will come along eventually.”

Boltsinger cocked an eyebrow as his attention was forced forward. "Yeah, somepony will totally come to help a random stranger in the biggest, busiest, coldest city in all of Equestria."

"Ha-ha, very funny." Spike spat back, his brow thoroughly furrowed. They continued on a ways, a slight whimper coming from the orange equine as they went. "Oh, don't give me that! You know why we're here!" Every so often, his attention would drift back only for Spike to yank on his ear again. Eventually the stallion breathed a sigh, his pace slowing to a crawl. Every drag of his hooves grated at the dragon's ears, bringing a groan out of him before… "Alright, FINE!" he gave in. "But just this once, okay?"

Boltsinger reared back with an ecstatic whinny, letting his companion hover next to him. "Alright! I'll meet you at Saddle Row, okay?"

"Yeah, yeah, I get it." Spike replied, his words dipped in sarcasm. "See you soon." As Boltsinger disappeared into the distance, Spike simply rolled his eyes. He cupped his claws around his mouth for a moment, one last reminder springing to mind. “And don’t forget to check into the hotel!!!”


The journey to Saddle Row was swift, yet frustrating. Everywhere Spike looked there were crowds heading all over. Manehattan was a busy city on a regular day, but it seemed like there were more ponies than usual. The closer he got to his destination, the more he heard about some event coming up. Not that he minded. He was laser-focused. Nothing would distract him. Nothing would stop him. Nothing would get in his--

“Spike?” called a soft voice ahead. Spike’s eyes drifted up to find an off-white Earth Pony mare standing in front of him. She had a two-tone cyan mane and tail, the former of which in a short bob with a red and purple floral clip in the back. Around her neck was a purple and white collar tied off with a red ribbon, with her Cutie Mark featuring a hat of similar design. She smiled down at the young reptile, her cool blue eyes showing a sense of relief at the friendly sight. “Is that really you, Spike?”

“Huh?” Spike took a look around, finding a number of boutiques wherever he looked. Above the white pony hung a banner depicting a trio of models in outfits the dragon could only describe as ‘outrageous’. He jogged up to the mare with a smile and a wave. “Coco! Good to see you!”

Coco Pommel returned the wave, stepping aside to make room at the door. “Likewise. It’s been quite a while.” She looked over Spike’s head, her hoof over her eyes. “So… You wouldn’t happen to be here with Miss Rarity, would you?”

He let out a sigh, making his way in. “No, she’s still back in Ponyville.” He sat by the counter, smiling up at the pony. “Bolt came along, but he got distracted by some random cry for help.”

Coco hid a giggle behind her hoof. “That certainly sounds like him.” She began tending to some of the displayed outfits, examining the seams carefully. “You’ve actually come at the perfect time. We could really use your help--”

“I’m gonna have to stop you right there.” he interjected, raising his claw between them. “Normally I’d be on it, but I’m not gonna be here that long.”

“Oh… Well, alright then.” She hung her head for a moment, quickly moving onto the next garment. “I mean, I just needed a few extra hooves at the fashion show tomorrow. It’s no big deal.”

"Exactly." he affirmed, standing with wings spread wide. "Besides, it's not like you haven't done this before. And you've got all the other employees to help out!"

Coco simpered for a moment. “Yeah, but… We’ve got so many designers showing that there’s not enough help to go around. It’s all about helping young designers get their work out there and maybe jumpstart their fashion careers.”

“Sounds like something Rarity would love.” he admitted, wings folding a little.

Coco nodded happily. “Oh it is! She brought up the idea to all the other local businesses a few weeks ago.” She moved to the center of the room, looking around with an ever-widening smile. “Just another way for her to give, I guess.” She hung her head, letting her eyelids sink. “I just wish she was here right now…”

The dragon’s head mirrored the mare’s. “She’s… really had a lot on her plate recently.”

“And you’re doing what you can to help her out?”

“Yeah. If it weren’t so important, I’d be right on board to help you with this.”

“I understand…” Coco took a deep breath, summoning forth her composure again. “I would love to have both of you along, but your mission takes priority.”

“Thanks, Coco. I appreciate that.” Spke blew a puff of green flame, causing a notebook to appear that he accompanied with a quill. "So, on that note, when was the last time you saw Paradigm?"

“Hm? Paradigm?” Coco looked up from her work, her face portraying a ponder. “I mean… I know it’s been a while. I’ve just been so busy around here that my mind is a jumble. I’m sorry.”

Spike sighed, tucking the pad under his arm and heading for the door. “It’s okay. I guess I’ll just ask around.” He waved gingerly at the Earth Pony, stepping outside. “See you later.”


Having turned up nothing at Rarity For You, Spike set out onto Saddle Row proper. Like Coco had said, the ponies all over were working on an enormous fashion show for Manehattan’s youngest designers. He waved down as many ponies as he could find, always asking them for information, but always coming up with the same answer. He set out to the other districts of the town, figuring the park would have more possibilities. Standing by the lake, he reached out to everypony he saw, but was met with some kind of rude remark as his answer. His let out a low growl, proceeding to another street. More of the same results awaited him by the eateries, sending him to Bridleway with a furrow in his brow. Before he could even make an attempt at asking around, though, a speeding taxi ran by, splashing muddy water in his face and sending him to his rump. Finally, a growling scream made itself known, dismissing his notepad in a puff of green flame and turning back the way he came. “Of course, I need something and this town just looks at me and laughs…” He looked at the crowds of Saddle Row with a scowl. “Typical Manehattan…”

Gosh I love Manehattan!” cried a surprisingly ecstatic stallion ahead. Boltsinger trotted along the sidewalk with a giddy expression, waving a wing to everypony he passed. “So many nice ponies everywhere you look!”

“Nice ponies?” Spike repeated, clenching his claws. “What kind of town have you been in?”

“Same town as you.” the stallion replied, looking around with a wide grin. “Gotta say this looks like it’s gonna be a heck of a fashion show.”

“Yeah, gonna be just great.” the dragon spat, squinting at the crowd. He shook his head, freeing himself from distraction. “So where the heck have you been, anyway?”

Boltsinger hopped in place, looking back down the road. “Well, first that pony I went to needed help with opening her little food stand, but then the pony she got to advertise wasn’t able to make it, so I stayed and drummed up some business. Then there was another pony who needed to find their way to Saddle Row. Really nice, that one. And then I found you!”

“Seriously?”

“Eeyup!”

Spike’s fists tightened to their limit, his wings spreading as he put himself inches from the stallion’s face. “ARE YOU KIDDING?! You were supposed to come right here after doing that ONE thing!!!”

Boltsinger stepped back a ways, crossing one foreleg with the other. “I know, but things happened one after the other and--”

“I DON’T CARE WHAT HAPPENED!” he continued, his body shaking from his sheer volume. “We came here to do one thing! One! Thing! And you can’t even be bothered to do it!”

Boltsinger’s wings folded at his sides, his ears drooping as he averted his eyes. “I mean, it’s not like I--”

“Can we please focus?” Spike finally requested. “I’ve been asking all over town, all day long with nothing to show for it… I just want to get this done and get home. Rarity needs us.”

An orange hoof rose in front of the dragon. “Y-yeah… I know… I just get so caught up sometimes that I forget.” He turned around, lowering his tail to function like a ramp. “Come on. I’ll take you to the place I heard about.”

“Thank you.” the reptile replied, climbing onto the pony’s back. “I just want to get this--” He paused for a moment, the stallion’s words repeating themselves in his head. “Wait, what did you hear about?”

Boltsinger’s gaze turned upward, fetching the information he needed as he began his walk. “Well, that first pony, you know with the food stand?” Spike nodded, letting him focus forward again. “She and Paradigm were in the same class, learning how businesses work, handling finance, all the stuff she needed to learn in order to start that stand. I guess he was trying to find ways to help somepony he liked with it. She said he probably went there to talk to the teacher about why he was leaving.” He waved to another pony in passing, keeping his hoof raised as another thought approached. “And that pony I led here? He’s from Canterlot, where he saw somepony matching Paradigm’s description while he was boarding.”

Spike scooted up the pony’s back, looking over his head. “That’s a lot to go on. You got all that just from helping a couple ponies out?”

“Eeyup. I figured I’d ask around while I was at it.” Boltsinger answered, casting a glance at the large buildings above him. “Actually, I’m reminded of something Rarity said about this city. You do something nice for someone, and then they go and do something nice for someone else.”

“She does tend to go the extra mile when she’s here, doesn’t she?” Spike rested his head on his claw, letting out a swooning sigh. “Just goes to show how great she is…”

“All the more reason to get this done…” He spread his wings wide, making ready to take off. “So, let’s keep going!”

Before the wings could flap, Spike took hold of his feathers, the residual spark sending a mild shock to the stallion’s system. He stood rigidly in place as the dragon released him, hopping off with a smile. “I think, before we do that, we might as well help our friend.” He started back toward Saddle Row as the equine began moving again. “Rarity would probably want us to.”


The next day that Spike and Boltsinger spent in Manehattan was the most stark contrast the dragon had ever seen. The moment they had told Coco that they’d planned to help, the mare had never smiled brighter. She set the pair to work on a number of simple tasks, from fetching tools and pin cushions to helping the customers while she worked. The ponies they met all the while were full of smiles, all exemplifying the definition of the word ‘friendly’. Where once there had been silence or scowls, there was laughter, excitement, and a kind word. That night, the show had finally begun, the streets truly came to life. With a word from Miss Pommel, the stage became a world of dazzling spectacle, outfits from and for all trots of life paraded their way around the stage, some as simple as can be with others turning out to be elaborate and dynamic costumes that all sent the dragon’s jaw straight down.

“I can’t believe I almost missed this…” he admitted, dropping to the ground with his claws on his knees. “So much to see, and all I wanted to do was hurry along…” He simpered up at his travelling partner. “Sorry about that.”

Boltsinger waved his hoof at the dragon. "Pssssshh! There's no need to be sorry!"

A curious eyebrow quickly cocked on Spike's tilting head. "Wait what?"

"You were focusing harder than usual. Nothing wrong with that."

Spike hopped to his feet, facing the stallion. "But I was yelling at you! Trying to stop you from doing your thing!"

"Yeah, and I admit that got to me a bit, but I understand." His face turned to a laughing grin, his wing coming to scratch the back of his neck. “If anypony knows what it’s like to be so hyper-fixated on a single goal that they forget about everything else, it’s me.” He twinkled his feathers before folding his wings again. “Nothing can stop me when lightning strikes, you know.”

Spike laughed in kind, jumping to the air next to him. “I guess you’ve got a point, there.” He offered a claw to the Pegasus. “So what do you say? Wanna get back to it?”

Boltsinger put his wing in the outstretched claw, shaking heartily with a firm “Eeyup!”

“Ah! There you are!” cried a closing-in Coco. The budding designer cantered up to the duo, skidding to a stop with her hoof over her chest. “So glad you... hadn’t... left yet.”

Boltsinger’s face lit up at her approach, his wing helping his partner onto his back. “Oh hey, Coco! What’s up?”

The bluenette mare took a deep breath to take back her composure, stepping up to them with a new sparkle in her eye. “Thank you so much for your help with all this. I don’t think it would have gone this smoothly without you.”

“Eh, it was our pleasure.” the stallion dismissed, earning an agreeing nod from the friend between his wings. “Is there anything else you need?”

She shook her head, locking eyes with Spike. “Actually, I just remembered something about what you asked me before. You know, about Paradigm?”

“Awesome!” Spike exclaimed, blowing a flame that formed into his notebook. “Tell me everything!”

“Well, last time I saw him, he said he wanted to learn more about certain ponies, so he was going to the Crystal Empire to meet one of them.” she explained, pointing toward the train station. “I think he mentioned wanting to learn about certain special talents.”

“Special talents, huh?” Boltsinger repeated, smirking at his companion. “I guess I know where we’re going next.”

“First thing in the morning?” Spike suggested.

Boltsinger nodded, pumping his hoof. “Absolutely.”

Author's Note:

Wow, this ended up shorter than I expected. I knew it was going to be a shorter one in general, because the things that I'm up to with this and the next few chapters are sort of new territory for me, but this honestly surprised me a little. I think it's a nice change of pace, though, what with so many of my "recent" chapters being so long. Hopefully it should take less than half a year to get each new chapter out, but I'll try adding a bit more substance next time.
Anyway, with that, our intrepid duo heads to the Crystal Empire! Who do you think they'll meet up with? Next chapter starts soon, so I hope you enjoy it!