• Published 25th Aug 2018
  • 2,817 Views, 193 Comments

Alternate Beginnings: Year Five - Doug Graves



Hidden foes arise, prompting the mares of Herd Apple to ask - is Doug a monster, too?

  • ...
10
 193
 2,817

11 The Watcher's Watcher

March 9th, 997

Doug looks around at the vaguely white walls. Too far away to touch, yet they look so close. Like he is in an empty room, and the walls around him are coated in a wet, dripping paint that seems to dribble out from inside the wall itself. He looks down, the floor underneath him covered in the same kind of sticky substance that clings to his feet. He grimaces, a look of disgust as he lifts one foot, then another. If only he had a-

Doug looks at his now gloved hand, holding a full bucket and a wet towel that reeks of ammonia. "How about a power washer?" he quips, sighing when nothing appears. He takes the towel and wipes a spot on the floor, the gooey substance dissolving away. Underneath is some sort of transparent plastic or glass, revealing a white, lightly textured floor. He looks at the spot from the side, his balance disrupted by the odd parallax of looking underneath the formless, colorless goo, then through something clear and seeing the white underneath. He sways, steadying himself by shifting his feet, but immediately regrets holding the towel anywhere near his face, coughing at the cleansing stench. At least his nostrils are clear.

He shrugs, dropping the bucket on the floor in the circle he made. He goes to wipe up more of the substance but finds the towel unable to do anything but build a larger pile that quickly slouches back to where it was before. He tries dunking the towel into the bucket, yelping as the goo sloughs off the towel and splashes, a bit of the liquid searing his forearm. Rubbing the spot doesn't help, but at least the pain slowly fades, leaving no mark on his body but his mind feeling a little less himself.

Doug clears a larger circle, the careful process of cleaning off the towel, wiping the foamy substance until the towel can hold no more. Rinse and repeat. Soon he has a place around him cleared off, and he looks at his feet. He puts the towel on the floor, then able to use his gloved hand to wipe off his feet, then grabbing the towel to clean the glove off. Repeat until his feet seem at least as clean as the rest of him. He sighs, looking around the room. Lots more to do.

After what feels like an eternity of scrubbing he finishes the floor, groaning as he gets up and stretches his back. His effort has only revealed white underneath, quite a bit more elevation as he gets to one of the walls. Well, time to try his luck on that side. He starts at the bottom, a long exhale as he makes a circle, wiping back and forth. The goo drips from above, threatening to ruin his work if he doesn't go quickly. Well, hopefully the ceiling doesn't drip down, but how will he reach-

Doug looks to the side, seeing a box. Well, the edges of a box, since it can't hold anything, just twelve pieces of wood somehow held together in a rough cube. No heart on it, at least. He walks over, grabbing it with his free hand; it's light, and he can move it around easily. And tall enough to let him reach the ceiling. Hopefully the towel doesn't drip when he holds it above himself, but that hasn't been an issue so far. He glances over at the wall, his work nearly ruined by the soft plop as more of the goo spurts out of the wall above. He grits his teeth, starting to work vertically from the top, having to stand on the box to reach the highest corner.

He gives a startled gasp, falling backwards off the box as he uncovers a spot of color. His head painfully impacts the floor, leaving him in a daze as he looks up, the rough wooden beams of the Apple farmhouse revealed by his last wipe. His free hand grabs the box, moving it back to position as he stands again, cleaning the towel off and continuing to work. Revealed next is the wall of his room, the master bedroom, and he can barely make out a pony sitting off to the side, working on something or other.

"Hey!" Doug shouts, trying to get her attention, but to no avail. He pounds on the spot he uncovered and that seems to draw her attention. She briefly glances over, a worried look on her face before she turns to the side. The brief flare of green, a light of some sort, and she glances back, a smile on her face.

"Don't worry but a bit, she'll be here soon," she crows, going back to her book.

Doug sighs, but he can see the clock in the room. Eleven in the morning. How long as he been out? He shakes his head, the last of the cloudy feeling leaving him as he goes back to work. The wall seems to go much quicker than the floor, and he finishes three of the sides before the heavy clop of hooves and the door opening makes him look around at the outside of whatever box he is trapped inside.

Princess Celestia walks inside, the mare nodding to her in greeting. Celestia says, "Sorry for the delay, I came as soon as I could get away from those Tartarus forsaken nobles. How is he?"

"Still sleeping, but he was stirring and making noises. I couldn't understand what he was saying, but I thought you would want to know."

"Right. Well, I fear using my magic to try to wake him, as I do not know how it will interact with the potion and spells we administered. Hopefully is he able to wake on his own."

Doug pounds on the wall, shouting, "Hey! Celestia! I'm in here!" Princess Celestia merely turns, a short turn of her head and a quiet sigh.

Celestia says, "I assume, of course, that Queen Chrysalis informed you of the new situation, as you would otherwise not be here."

The pony nods as Doug begins cleaning off the last wall, a bit more haste in his movement. She says, "Yes, and Applejack allowed me to stay, though she does not know of the... situation."

"Good. I would hate to have to restrict her as I have restricted Doug. Though that might be part of why he is having such a... reaction."

Doug finishes the wall, starting to work on the ceiling. He ends up holding the bucket in one hand, the towel making short work of the thin layer above. He feels the walls around him dissipate as the last of the goo comes away, the bucket, the glove, the towel all fading as he moves a hand to his head. His actual head.

Princess Celestia looks over, smiling and saying, "Good afternoon, my little pony. How are you feeling?"

Doug shakes his head, trying to clear the pinpoints of light in his eyes, "Better? I mean, it was quite the weird position, not being able to do anything, but I don't have any pain. Why? What happened?"

"What do you mean?" Princess Celestia says, cocking her head to the side, "What position were you in?"

"Hard to describe, but it felt like I was trapped inside my own head." Doug looks around, spotting the pony from before, the pony nodding to him. Princess Celestia takes a hard look at Doug as he says, "Hello, I'm not sure if we've met formally. I'm Doug, nice to meet you."

"You can call me Jay. Jay Squeak. And, if that's all, I'll be on my way." The mare nods to each of them before turning and walking out of the room.

"Nice to meet you, Jay," Doug says, a brief flick of her tail the only acknowledgement that she heard. Doug looks over at Celestia, "So, um, what happened?"

Celestia continues staring at Doug, her eyes briefly flashing white. She gives a heavy sigh, "You remember nothing?"

Doug shakes his head, "I remember quite a bit, but it doesn't really make sense. I saw a wedding, it gets disrupted by the changelings, and quite a bit more."

Celestia gives a start, her eyes shining again. "And you can talk about it?" She shakes her head, "The geas I put you under should have prevented that. But, alas, it appears you are a more slippery target than I thought." She gives a slight wink to Doug, barely noticeable as he sits up.

"So, I don't suppose we can, um, skip redoing the geas part? I don't know if I like magical compulsions all that much."

Princess Celestia winks at Doug, more obvious this time, "Oh, it was one of Queen Chrysalis' requirements, that I put you under one. She did not specify, however, that you had to stay under for the duration of her campaign. You remember the terms of our arrangement?"

Doug slowly nods, a bit of the conversation the three of them had slowly coming back to him. Also portions of the deal that he had agreed to, Celestia and Chrysalis both casting some spell on him and then drinking a potion that started the whole ordeal. "Arbiter between you all? I don't remember much else of our conversation, between the three of us, but the... vision that I had gives me a pretty good idea of what is going on."

Princess Celestia smiles, "Just remember, Doug, that visions of the future are never given for no reason. If you liked what you saw, then you should strive to make it come about. If you didn't, then think very carefully about how you can change the outcome of the vision. After all, if you change a small part at the start, it can have very large consequences down the road. Potentially invalidating the rest of the vision, and instead inviting a new way for disaster to arise."

Doug nods, "Yep, so, probably no going around shouting to everypony that there are changelings out and about. That could end... poorly."

"It would end extraordinarily poorly, yes, and that is even before you factor me working against you instead of with you. Alas, the burden of living up to your promises."

"Can't just wave a hoof and get rid of everything, huh?"

Celestia lays a hoof on Doug, "I could, sometimes; alas, even I have my limitations. But - and this can be a very difficult thing for anypony who isn't a parent to go through - many times the struggles that one goes through defines the person they become. And removing all obstacles from somepony's path does not make that pony strong or safe, instead defenseless when the next trial comes."

"I know what you mean, about having foals do anything that they can do for themselves instead of doing it for them. But, are you saying we are defined by our suffering and struggles?"

Celestia shrugs, "It is almost the definition of equinity, the equine condition, though in your position, it would be... Sapienity? Sapenity?"

"Humanity, but yes. Maybe as a general term sapienity works."

"Indeed." Celestia sighs, "And it is a hard lesson both to teach and to learn. To have the ability to solve something, and holding back because they will suffer more for you helping them than if you allow the possibility that they might fall. And fall they will."

Doug slowly looks away from her, "Celestia, can I ask a personal question of you?"

"Certainly." The hoof withdraws, Celestia sitting up a little straighter.

"How much do you want a foal?"

Celestia sighs, "I have wanted a foal for nearly the entirety of my adult life, and there are very few things that I would not give to obtain one. Why?" She eyes Doug as he sighs, still looking away from her, "Does it have to do with your vision?"

Doug nods, "And I don't know how much I should reveal about it."

"That is likely for the best. Oh, and as your geas is no longer operable, you should also tell nopony about your responsibilities, or indeed anything at all about the upcoming challenge to my little ponies."

"Right. You can count on that." Doug sighs, "What do you think of Chrysalis?"

"She is conceited, arrogant, selfish, but at the same time a master manipulator and schemer. She played her hoof well, making it very difficult to oust her without grievous harm to my little ponies, though I feel I have gotten the better of her in this negotiation. It is with great reluctance that I deal with her." Princess Celestia glances at the clock, "Unfortunately, I believe my lunch break is coming to a close. Do you have any other questions?"

"No, but Celestia, know that you don't have to go to outlandish lengths to have a foal with me, or with somepony else should your spell with Cadance succeed. When the time is right, I'm sure it will happen."

Princess Celestia nods, a wide smile growing on her face, "You don't know how happy that makes me, Doug. Thank you." She leans forward, a brief hesitation before her face darts forward, a brief kiss on Doug's cheek.

Doug slowly raises a hand to the spot Celestia kissed as she withdraws; she gives him a quick wink before blinking away. He sighs, a smile slowly growing on his face; hopefully that forestalls any other crazed plans of hers. But who knows how she'll take it. But, he should talk to Rarity, and possibly Applejack about setting something up. Not to do with Celestia, but for the ponies in his herd and possibly the other ponies in town. Even if they don't know the reason, they will need to be better prepared for the coming battle. Hopefully singular.