• Published 25th Aug 2018
  • 2,792 Views, 193 Comments

Alternate Beginnings: Year Five - Doug Graves



Hidden foes arise, prompting the mares of Herd Apple to ask - is Doug a monster, too?

  • ...
10
 193
 2,792

20 The Eagle's Cry

November 15th, 997

"Really, Doug? You ain't gonna complain about how our weather is all weird, and our birds are weird, and how ponies shouldn't have to do all these various things?"

"Oh, come on," Doug says, his hand waving back and forth at the various trees they are walking by. Many of the apple trees still have their full complement of leaves, none of them targets for the Running of the Leaves two weeks earlier. The ponies had instead focused on the trees closer to Ponyville; they have all lost their leaves, leaving long brown branches reaching to the sky. "I don't complain about it, I just point out the differences between how I'm used to weather working and how things work here."

Applejack slowly nods her head, first to the left, then to the right, then back to the left. "And somehow, in all that explaining, there ain't just a tad bit of resentment that we, ponies, are the ones that have to do all these activities, that life would be so much better if things just happened, heh, naturally?" Applejack looks up at the sky, "Ain't nothing more natural than a pegasus controlling the weather with her magic, or an earth pony helping crops grow with hers."

"Fine, there is a little bit of complaining. And that is totally not what natural means."

"Right, right." Applejack looks off to the south, "If you want your 'au natural', the Everfree is right over there."

Doug shudders, nearly missing a step as he slows down, his hand coming to his face. Applejack frowns as she slows down as well, moving to nuzzle his side, a contrite look on her face. He says, "I'm okay, just, still not completely over that." He shakes his head as the two continue on, "I'll have a hard time trusting anything that comes out of the Everfree."

"You and me both, partner. You and me both. And Princess Celestia even warned us from straying too close to those rocks, something about them attracting timber wolves on account of the chaos magic still lingering around the area." Applejack shakes her head, "Shame about the ponies that live on that side of town, and it weren't no fun dragging a lot of the houses to the north side of town. At least the bridge only needed to be rebuilt twice."

"Never thought there'd be a town emergency to fish a house out of the river, that's for sure." Doug laughs, Applejack smiling at his quick recovery, "And the looks on everypony when it happened a second time. At least we were still gathered around from the first time, and we got them both out of the water quickly."

"Yeah, bit of a shame we needed magic to prop up the bridge for the rest of them." Applejack spits off to the side, "Hopefully we don't have to worry about that happening any more."

"Yup, yup." Applejack and Doug enter Ponyville proper, Mayor Mare barely visible at her customary spot on the stage, a large group of ponies congregating around the front. "So, what job did you get this year?"

Applejack proudly shows off her team lead leg band, "Well, Ah did well enough during Winter Wrap Up to keep my position as plant team lead. Ah think there was a bit of turnover on the other sides, though, but Ah don't know for sure." She leans in close, "Ah heard Rainbow Dash made weather team lead, but to keep her from parading all over town Mayor Mare kept the news from her until this morning."

Doug laughs, "Yup, that sounds like Rainbow." They look, the pegasus strutting back and forth on the stage, an elegant blue leg band proudly displayed. "About time she got that position. So, what kind of things will you do as plant team lead? Mostly coordination between the various groups and making sure your own group is doing well?"

"Eeyup, a bit of this, bit of that. We've got to get covers on the trees that still have leaves on them, which are mostly the fruit trees. Then, every square foot of ground with any sort of green needs to get ready for the snow. Houses are generally assigned to the weather team but Ah make sure the Apple barns are all good and square. Sometimes we gotta spread a bit of last minute defoliant, if any of the plants get the wrong idea in their heads, 'cause they aren't supposed to try to grow during winter."

"Wait, so, your earth pony magic can kill off plants? That seems, well, counter to how it normally goes."

Applejack nods, "Eeyup, and nopony likes having to do it. Kinda like chopping off a bit of hoof; sometimes it ain't growing right, and it needs to be done, or the whole leg will be hurtin'. The plants can grow in the winter, it's just way harder on them, and they draw a lot more magic from the surrounding soil to compensate for the cold and low sun. Ruins the field for the next spring and summer growing season, at least without a big investment of time and magic, so a big part of everypony on the plant team's duty is making sure everything green knows to keep down for the winter. And as plant team lead, Ah have to make sure all of that gets done."

Doug nods, "Big responsibility."

Applejack stands up tall, her chest puffed out and a smile plastered on her muzzle. She gets up on her hind legs, a quick kiss for her stallion; one of his arms moves to help steady her, the other giving her pregnant belly a quick rub. She drops back down to all four hooves as they get to the back of the crowd, asking, "So, any of those sound interesting?"

"Um, I think the covering trees part." Applejack nods before she walks up to the stage, joining a still strutting Rainbow Dash and a slightly amused Amethyst Star on the stage.

A few minutes pass, a couple more ponies arriving before Mayor Mare walks to the center of the stage. She clears her throat, the assembled ponies quieting down, and announcing, "Welcome, everypony, to this year's Autumn Wrap Up! Now, we have a lot to do today, and I'm sure everypony would like to get home before dark! So, without any further ado, we have a new weather team leader this season; let us all welcome Rainbow Dash!"

Rainbow Dash raises a hoof to the beating of hooves against the ground, the pegasus releasing an excited, "Aww, yeah!"

Mayor Mare smiles as the ponies quiet down, "And also our returning plant and animal leads, Applejack and Amethyst Star!" The ponies beat their hooves against the ground again, a little more subdued this time as Applejack politely raises a hoof to her hat and Amethyst Star takes a small bow. Mayor Mare continues, "As each of you knows, there are many things that need to be done, such as sending off the southern birds, getting all the animals prepared for hibernation, and making sure all the plants are ready for winter. So, you all have your assignments, let's get to it!"

Applejack moves to the side, the green vested ponies following her, "Alright, everypony, as you can probably guess by the color of your vest, you'll be working on the plant team." She consults her list, quickly listing off names and locations for the ponies to make sure everything has stopped growing.

Doug quickly grows bored as Applejack goes through the two hundred ponies awaiting orders, watching as Rainbow leads about fifty pegasi to the large mass of white and gray clouds hovering to the northeast of Ponyville. The weather team regulars help the less confident pegasi with breaking the large mass into smaller cloud sized pieces. Others work on moving the broken clouds around to ensure an even spread of snow for Ponyville and the surrounding areas, a couple of pegasi singing out, "Bringing out the dreary clouds, to let the snow fall in."

Rainbow flies back to Ponyville, a second set of ponies awaiting instructions for making sure all the houses are ready for the coming snowstorm. She assigns blocks of houses to each pony before moving to the last three pegasi, those who will be taking the southern birds to the south. She looks up as Amethyst Star walks over, a hesitant look on the unicorn's face.

"Um, Rainbow Dash," Amethyst Star begins, "I was hoping I could borrow a few pegasi. I don't really have enough to gather all the birds in time, and I know they need to get moving soon."

"Ugh," Rainbow Dash says, holding a hoof to her forehead, "Not this problem again. Um, sure." Rainbow Dash motions to Cloud Kicker, Sassaflash and Rainbowshine, "You can have those three for sure, since they don't have much to do until the birds are ready."

The three designated ponies move over to Amethyst Star, "Alright, Rainbow, thanks a lot." Rainbow gives a curt nod before going back to double check the progress of the cloud pegasi. Amethyst Star moves to Applejack next, the earth pony giving her a querying look. "Applejack," she says a little more confidently, "Could I get a few ponies to help with the animals? I got a little shortchanged again this year, and I need help moving the food for distribution."

Applejack rolls her eyes, "Ah keep telling you, Star, you need to complain to Mayor Mare, so she can assign you more ponies next year. You keep doing the job with the number she gives you, and she'll keep giving you that many."

Amethyst Star looks down, rubbing a hoof along the dirt, "I know, but I feel like she'll take me off of team lead if I complain, or don't get the job done right."

"Well, there's complaining, and there's not being given the resources to do the job ahead of you." Applejack motions to a few ponies who haven't gotten assignments yet, "Alright, you five, go with Amethyst Star, Ah'm sure she'll have some stuff for you to haul around." The five ponies nod, moving towards the unicorn.

Off in the distance a few of the earth ponies can be heard singing, though their tune is more of a dirge, a sad reminder to the plants and animals of the dreary work ahead, "No easy task to clear the ground, no more sprouting seeds; without care, no sunshine, everyone a-sleep."

The song continues off in the distance; Amethyst Star hesitates as she asks, "Oh, and, um, one more thing. Do you have any ponies who don't mind working with Harry?"

"The bear?" At Amethyst's nod and a look of trepidation from the five earth ponies, Applejack considers for a moment, "Um, is Fluttershy not available? Ah thought she would deal with him."

"Well, yes, but he needs a lot of food and Fluttershy might have some difficulty with that. And she's busy with the birds at the moment."

"Ah suppose. Doug, go with Amethyst, you like Harry, right?"

Doug shrugs, "Sure, I guess." He gives Applejack a short wave, his mare returning one with a slight frown.

"Thanks, Applejack, it means a lot to me." Amethyst Star turns, heading to one of the stores to pick up the boxes of food for the animals. Each pony takes a few boxes, beginning the trek to Fluttershy's cottage and the animal habitats. The unicorns and earth ponies are working together to get food to each of the hibernating critters, making sure their dens are fully stocked for the winter months ahead.

The pegasus members of the animal team are collecting birds from the trees scattered around Ponyville, the flock continuing to grow around Fluttershy as more and more birds are located and sent her way. Many of the ponies are singing joyfully, "Gathering up the southern birds, is how our job begins; clearing all the dreary trees, so they have sunshine again. Then having to say goodbye, head to their homes below! Far to the south, so their bellies can be full!"

After another round of the chorus Amethyst Star says, "Alright, you five, the distribution center is over there." She motions with a hoof to the small bridge by Fluttershy's house, "Just take your crates and start unpacking them by the creek, next to the others." Amethyst Star and Doug walk to the distribution center with the five earth ponies, the unicorn levitating a few packages and placing them on top of Doug's crate before grabbing a crate for herself to carry. The two make the walk towards the Everfree, Doug getting more and more unnerved as they get closer. Amethyst Star glances over, asking, "Um, Doug, will you be okay?"

Doug grimaces before nodding, "Yeah, I'll be fine. Not too much further, right?"

"Well, it's a left from here, but I suppose you could take three rights to be correct." Doug forces out a smile at the ambiguous word, the unicorn smiling back. "Does the Everfree Forest really bother you that badly?"

Doug slowly nods, "Yeah, mostly because of that thing months ago."

"I'll be sure to take that into account in the future." Amethyst gives a small smile, "And you can trust me to do that, I am the premiere organizer in Ponyville."

"Really? I thought that was Pinkie Pie."

Amethyst Star smirks, "Sure, Pinkie Pie is the premiere party planner of Ponyville, but she sticks to parties, and I get just about everything else. Weddings, or at least the non party portion. Big sporting events. Sometimes even if all you want is just an evening get together that you want to go perfectly, I'm your mare." Her smile becomes a little more forced, muttering to herself, "Not that that's gotten me anywhere."

The two reach Harry's house, a simple one room cabin, dirt and grass covered roof giving the appearance of living in the side of a hill. The bear opening the door on the first knock. He grins at the boxes of food, patiently waiting for the two to drop the crates off before wrapping first Amethyst Star and then Doug in a hug. Doug is fine with the bear hug, it not being his first, while Amethyst looks a little uncomfortable with the large animal holding her. Eventually the hug ends, Harry giving the two a wave before taking the crates inside his house.

Amethyst Star and Doug wave back as they make their way back to the distribution center. Amethyst moves closer to Doug, a smile on her face as she says, "Thanks, Doug, for helping out. I was a little worried about going to his house all alone, even if I know he's perfectly safe."

Doug gives a slight shudder, "Yeah, not a problem. Helps me confront my fear about the Everfree too, right? Just foal steps."

"Right." Amethyst Star takes a breath, "And, speaking about foal steps, I wanted to ask you. How busy are you on Friday nights?"

"Um, pretty busy, generally." Amethyst's face falls a little as he continues, "I have to make sure my weather schedules for the next week are all in order and send them out, and that can take a while, especially if there was some sort of mishap during the week. And, more often than not, there is. Why?"

"Oh, well, Friday nights work well for me, surprisingly, since most of my planning has to be done by then. I was hoping we could get together and, um, play Bridge or something."

"That sounds like fun. Generally the rest of the herd gathers over at Sweet Apple Acres on the weekends, so we can probably get Rarity to play. Maybe Applebaum, too, she's shown a lot of interest in the game."

Amethyst Star raises an eyebrow, "Your two year old filly? No way am I letting a foal beat me!" She smirks, her tail flicking back and forth.

"Well, I've been trying to teach her to show a little more respect when she wins," Doug taunts, "We'll see how well she's learning that lesson."

"More like how to be a good sport when she loses!" Amethyst retorts, a playful swagger in her step as they return to the distribution center. She looks bewildered as snow begins falling around them, bellowing, "Rainbow!" as a multi-hued pegasus dashes from Ponyville to some of the snow clouds, the gray pegasus by the offending cloud giving a worried look around. Amethyst gives Doug an apologetic glance before turning to the birds surrounding Fluttershy, "Alright, everypony, we're going to need to double time it from here on."

One of the pegasus retorts, "We weren't doing that already?"

Amethyst ignores that, "We're going to have to move the birds out really soon. Fluttershy, how many are we looking for?"

Fluttershy looks around, "Um, just about five or so."

"Alright, we can carry them by hoof if they can't catch up." Amethyst looks to Cloud Chaser, "Alright, you're up. Have a safe flight!"

Cloud Chaser gives a quick salute, her two pegasi companions taking flight, the massive flock of birds taking wing behind them. Amethyst Star turns to the rest of the assembled ponies, "Alright, food distribution and hibernation. We'll need to quickly get each animal to their assigned den and make sure they have food. Caramel, go check the warehouse in Ponyville, make sure we have all the food out of there. Everypony else, let's start distributing what we have."

The four earth ponies follow Caramel back to Ponyville as Rainbow Dash flies over, awkwardly rubbing the back of her head. "Um, soo, long story short, the snowfall is starting early."

Amethyst Star gives Rainbow a steady stare, snowflakes falling down around her. "Really."

"Yeeaah, and these clouds aren't exactly made for stopping once they get going. Real sorry about that, gotta fly!" Rainbow takes off, Amethyst's retort cut off, the unicorn huffing instead.

"Not her fault, just remember, not her fault," the unicorn repeats to herself as she watches animals quickly being herded to their dens. She facehooves as she sees Caramel and the other ponies take a wrong turn on their way back to the cottage, pointing a hoof at them, "Doug, can you go reorient those five? I need those crates of food."

"Sure thing," Doug says, a bit of a shiver as he jogs back to Ponyville. Not a good day to leave his winter gear at home, figuring he would be cuddling with his mares when the snow starts, not having half the day left to work. After all, the way the song is 'Tomorrow winter is here.' Not 'today', and certainly not 'this morning.'

A quick shout to Caramel gets the stallion's attention and the earth ponies pointing in the right direction. Doug glances up, the clouds not looking to let up at all. He sighs as he heads to Sweet Apple Acres; better to get his gear and not need it, depending on which area needs his help and how much he'll be keeping himself warm by hauling things around. But, it'll be a long day regardless of how much he's wearing. At least he likes the snow.