• Published 7th Jul 2018
  • 5,673 Views, 105 Comments

Shadow of the Sun - TacoTues4Eva



After feeling alone and unwanted, as well as justifiably angry, Sunset makes a deal with a seemingly kind older man. He just might not be as innocent as he lets on.

  • ...
5
 105
 5,673

Chapter 1

“You want me to what?” Sunset demanded, unsure if she actually heard the old man right as he sat on a large wooden spool that was left behind when the factory closed down. She still couldn’t bring herself to relax after coming to what had been her home for the last few years to find him waiting for her with a gentle smile upon his face. He rested both hands on top of his diamond topped cane as he leaned forward a bit, smile growing even more.

“I want you to take a more active part in hunting down the creatures of evil that plague this city. I know you came from that other world, and I need someone like you who understands magic. That knows just what real magic can do. Someone who will adapt to it like a fish to water, so to say.” The man chuckled, “All I ask is that you accept my gift to help protect those you love.”

“Why should I bother to protect those who abandoned me!” Sunset snarled, not even leaving room to question just how angry she was at her friend’s betrayal. How much it hurt her deep down. And to hear some stranger she had never even met before bring it up just served to piss her off even more.

“Who says I’m talking about those foolish little brats.” The man said with what could only be described with a wicked grin. “Don’t think I’m not asking you to do this for free, I am planning to offer you fair compensation for your troubles.”

“What kind of compensation?” Sunset asked, more than a little curious if very wary of all this. As far as she knew the only magic that was around was Equestrian in nature and that was a shadow of it’s true self.

“I wish I could give you what you most wish for, but I can not change people’s hearts. I can’t just make a family appear and make them love you. Things just don’t work that way, no matter who you are.” The man said, making gestures with a hand while holding the cane in the other. “What I can offer you is real credentials in this world so you can do what ever you want. A birth certificate and social security number that is the real thing. I would be irresponsible to give you a license, for that you are on your own though it would be as simple as learning to drive and walking into the DMV and doing what is required of any other teenager.”

“How can you do that?” Sunset asked making the man chuckle again, a sound full of mirth and caring as he gave a look that begged to be trusted.

“I have my ways, my dear. I was far from finished though as I will also give you an apartment and a salary which will be deposited straight to an account I will provide you with which will be paid out once a year with more than enough money to buy whatever you want as your utilities will be paid for. Only bills you will have are those you make for yourself such as car payments, insurance or phone payments. Actually, no, I will also cover your phone as well. I might need to contact you through it.” The man continued, changing his mind at the last second about the phone. It was all very tempting, but something about it didn’t sit right with Sunset.

“And what exactly will I have to do for all of this? I’m sorry, but this is all too good to be true.” Sunset said crossing her arms and narrowing her eyes at the man. He was offering too much for what she considered too little. Or was it too little, it would be dangerous so perhaps it was fair compensation if he was being entirely truthful. Something Sunset was unsure about.

“It’s simple my dear, live here in Canterlot as you have done since coming to this world and stop the evil that plagues this city. And don’t try to say that you and your ex-friends have stopped all that there was. There is much more here than you know, more than any normal person knows.” The man said taking a sad tone of voice while shaking his head. “It threatens everyone here and if it learns of your portal, it could threaten your home as well. Would you want that? Would you be able to live with yourself knowing that you could have stopped it if something bad were to go through and cause havoc there?”

“This sounds good, it really does, but how can I even trust you?” Sunset asked as the man chuckled and stood up from his perch.

“It’s easy, the terms of my contracts are unbreakable and can not be changed unless you come to me and convince me to break it, at which point we would go our separate ways.” The man grinned seeing how interested the girl was becoming. “This is a one time offer, if I walk out of here you will not hear from me again. Allow me to sweeten the deal. I may not be able to change a person’s heart, I can expose Anon-A-Miss for who they really are. As soon as you walk into that school in the morning everyone will know the real identity of this miscreant and you will no longer be suspected.”

“You know who it is?” Sunset asked, fighting the tears that threatened to spill as an end to the torment was in sight.

“I do, but it is part of the deal. You want to know, become my champion and sign the contract.” The man said as a scroll and quill appeared out of thin air and floated over to Sunset. While she wanted to read over everything carefully as it unfurled, the man looked at a watch she didn’t even notice he was wearing.

“Please decide quickly Miss Shimmer as I do have other places I need to be.” The man said with a pleasant grin, though it sent shivers through Sunset’s entire being.

Quickly scanning the document, it did look as if everything was in her favor. At night when evil was close by the power she would be granted would seek it out and deal with it. No innocents would ever be harmed during it, and if they were she would keep the power granted and have full control of it while all obligations to the man named Mephistopheles will be null and void while all benefits would be kept. She would even gain access to magic during the day, though it would be more limited in scope and she would have to figure it out herself.

“Tic toc, Miss Shimmer.” The man said with a pleased grin as Sunset hesitantly took the quill. It took every ounce of will power that Sunset had to sign her name to the contract making the man laugh in triumph. “Perfect, Miss Shimmer, just perfect.”

“What happens now?” Sunset asked as the scroll floated back over to the man before glowing and splitting in two.

“Now, my dear shimmer, I give you what I promised.” The man chuckled slipping one copy into his suit’s inner jacket pocket while strutting over to her. She took a step back at his sudden advance, but stopped when he touched the end of the other scroll to the back of her hand. It felt as if her hand was on fire as the scroll sank into it.

“What did you do?” Sunset gasped out, finding it hard to breathe all of a sudden as her cutie mark appeared on the back of her left hand where the scroll sank into.

“Just providing you with what I promised.” The man smiled as pain lanced through Sunset’s back where two scars were located until a pair of bat like wings shot out of her back, her red hair turning black while the yellow streaks faded to white. Her skin paled more and more turning a very pale white matching Rarity’s own. Her nails elongated into sharp claws and her eyes faded into black with glowing blue irises and pupils lengthening into vertical slits. “After all, I never go back on my word. I am a man of honor after all.”

“And here I thought the devil had no honor.” The being laughed as she straightened up, no longer dressed in Sunset’s clothes. Instead there was a slinky black ankle length dress that clung to her curves and left her back bare, a choker with a ring in the center holding the straps of the low cut front n place and heels adding several inches to her height.

“My dear Shadow Reaper, I always honor my word. And as such, when Sunset awakens in the morning, she will have everything I promised. For now though, why don’t you stretch your wings and get used to your new body.” The man laughed watching as the girl flew off into the night.

“Of course, father.” Was the girl’s echoing laugh before disappearing from sight.

💔💔💔

Groaning Sunset turned over in her lumpy old mattress wishing the pounding headache would go away. She had the craziest dream last night about flying through the sky and just enjoying the freedom it provided. It didn’t take her long to realize that not only was the mattress the most comfortable thing that she had ever felt, she was covered with more than the ratty old blanket that barely covered her body being meant for a twin size bed and her mattress was a queen size.

Sitting up she winced at the light coming in through the large bay windows of the large bedroom and realizing what was wrong immediately. She was in a large bedroom of some place she had never been to and looking down at her left hand she couldn’t help feeling the horror seeing her cutie mark stamped there. Even if her skin looked normal, she couldn’t help scrambling out of the bed, running toward the large full length mirror next to the large walk in closet that was open, cursing as she bumped into the desk. Thankfully there was plenty of light coming in the window for her to see that while she looked like she should, her features had sharpened or enhanced slightly. She looked as if she wouldn’t even need makeup that she usually used as her features were, for lack of a better description, perfect.

“What is going on?” Sunset asked, turning to notice some papers and things sitting on the desk next to a nice sized monitor and computer. Shakily she picked up the top piece and started reading through it.

Dear Champion,

I guess for once I was wrong about something which I thought about after you flew off. I can’t say I was expecting your new form to call me father, but for some reason I can’t bring myself to complain. So daughter, I have left your birth certificate and social security number, emancipation forms, your social workers number since yes you have to have one being under age, your bank information and debit card as well as an envelope with some spending cash until you make it to the bank and your apartment’s key all here for you. Your meager belongings that was worth saving from that dreadful warehouse is on your table in the other room for you to sort through at your leisure.

Also, as promised, by the time you get to school the culprits of Anon-A-Miss will be revealed and things will be set right. Do not feel obligated to forgive those who wronged you, as you owe them nothing. Yes, you wronged them in the past, but saving them from the Sirens of your world more than made up for that. If they can’t believe in you after that, then they don’t deserve you my dear. I’ve said all I will on that, except for one thing. Give them hell.

Yours truly,
Father

Sunset couldn’t help tearing up at that. He had called him her father and while she wasn’t happy about what happened, confusion running wild in her, he actually did seem as if he cared in some small way at least. The promise of Anon-A-Miss being exposed lit a fire under her she hadn’t felt in ages as she rushed through her new apartment, taking longer than she would have liked, and rushed out intent on getting to school as quickly as possible.

She was surprised to find that she was the only apartment on the top floor which shouldn’t have been to surprising with how huge the entire place was. Getting to the elevator she quickly made her way to the ground floor and through a glamorous looking lobby only to be stopped by the doorman.

“Excuse me, Miss Shimmer, your ride is waiting” The man said, “Your father left instructions for a taxi to be waiting since you were new to the area and would need a lift to school. It is already paid for.”

“Thank you.” Sunset said, at a loss for words as the man led her to a waiting car.

“It is no problem at all dear, I hope you have a pleasant day.” The man said bowing to her as she got into the car.

“Thank you.” Sunset managed to choke out, fighting back the tears as this man was showing much more respect than she had been shown in a long time. It was almost like a fairy tale which worried Sunset as she still didn’t really understand what all was going on. Thankfully she didn’t have to dwell on it long as the taxi already knew where to go and sped through the city, passing through so many places she had never seen as she realized this was the rich section of town that the wealthiest lived.

As shocked as she was about that, she was even more shocked to see two police cruisers parked at the front of the school with a crowd of students looking on as Sunset climbed from the taxi. She almost wanted to dive back in and go anywhere else, but the car was already driving away. Steeling herself she started walking through the crowd while trying to ignore the looks. She quickly realized that they weren’t glaring at her with hate filled eyes, but more guilt ridden.

“Did you hear, Cheerilee caught those three brats asleep at the computer in the library in the middle of editing the Anon-A-Miss account.”

“Yeah, there was a huge crowd, they all saw it.”

“I hate to be the Rainbooms after they dropped Sunset like that.”

“Like your one to talk.”

“Hey, I believed Sunset was innocent, not everyone was stupid enough to jump on that bandwagon. Bunch of idiots I tell you.”

Sunset nearly collapsed at hearing the whispers and hushed conversations. The man was telling the truth, everyone really did know who the real Anon-A-Miss was. Though how did he know everyone was going to find out? And how did he know they would fall asleep?

“Sunset Shimmer, please come with me.” A woman in a police uniform said stepping in front of Sunset. She had a stiff posture that the apologetic look on her face contradicted.

“Am I in trouble?” Sunset asked, barely able to get the words out.

“Of course not dear, the principal convinced my captain to wait until you arrived so you have a chance to see the real faces of Anon-A-Miss up close.” The woman explained, “There is nothing to worry about.”

“Of course.” Sunset sighed in relief following the woman as they quickly made their way through the hall to the offices where she found her now ex-friends standing in the waiting area looking beyond nervous. There was no mistaking that they had been crying, Fluttershy and Pinkie Pie still were and Rarity’s tear tracks were stained dark.

“Please darling, tell them to go easy on our sisters. They didn’t know what they were doing!” Rarity pleaded, trying to get close to Sunset Shimmer only to be intercepted by the officer.

“If I have to tell you girls this again, I’m arresting you for obstruction of justice. Now stay back!” The officer snapped out frightening the girls which kind of gave Sunset a little satisfaction after all of the pain they caused her. Was it petty? Hell yeah, but she didn’t care. She was confused about Rarity’s plea though as she was escorted into the inner office belonging to Principal Celestia. She should have been surprised at seeing the three girls sitting on the bench against the wall while Granny Smith sat at the chair at the desk. Principal Celestia sat on the other side while another officer and Luna flanked her.

“We’re sorry Sunset! We didn’t mean for things to go this far!” Sweetie Belle sobbed out as she fidgeted in her seat, the other two doing the same while keeping their hands behind their backs. It didn’t take long for Sunset to realize they were handcuffed.

“I’m glad you made it Sunset, these officers were about to take the girls away.” Principal Celestia sighed. “While there isn’t anything I can do for them, I thought you at least deserved a chance to look them in the eye and hear what they had to say.”

“I don’t care what they have to say.” Sunset growled out as the pieces fit together like a puzzle. These little brats were behind Anon-A-Miss and had ruined all of the hard work into showing that she changed since the incident at the Fall Formal. “What’s going to happen to them?”

“That is for a judge to decide, but since they are minors with no prior records it is entirely possible that the judge could go easy on them. Worse case they end up in juvie until they turn of age when they will be released most likely and their records sealed.” The officer by Celestia said.

“And what if I don’t want to press charges?” Sunset asked making the woman who escorted her in give her a sad smile. She wasn’t sure why as she really didn’t plan to let them of the hook that easy after everything, but she was cur

“It isn’t that easy, Sunset. No matter what you say, these girls used school property to commit acts of cyber bullying that caused two girls to attempt suicide, five students to run away from home and over thirty cases of instigating violence. And that’s just what is reported so far.” The officer next to Principal Celestia stated with a look of disbelief.

“They are officially expelled no matter what happens and the students who sent in secrets will also be facing punishment depending on the seriousness of what was sent in.” Vice-Principal Luna explained.

“Ahm sorry ma kin caused you such grief youngin, and ahm ashamed that ah fell into the belief that you were behind the whole thing.” Granny Smith said, eyes downcast as a look of shame crossed her features.

“More students sent in secrets? So it just wasn’t them?” Sunset asked, feeling as if the world around her was spinning.

“I’m afraid so, this here is one of the biggest messes I have ever come across in all my years as an officer.” The officer next to Principal Celestia groaned.

“Can I go?” Sunset asked, “I need to get be alone, I need to process this.”

“Ifn there is anything mah family can do for you youngin, please ask. Ah owe you a great debt for all the pain you’ve done been through.” Granny Smith croaked out, looking as if she was much older than she normally appeared.

“Indeed, if you need anything at all Miss Shimmer, please come to us.” Vice-Principal Luna added.

“I just need to go.” Sunset said barely able to hold in the pain that was filling her chest.

“I guess if you don’t want to add to the charges then there is no need to take a statement, though I do hope you will reconsider. Here’s my card if you change your mind or have any questions.” The woman next to Sunset said handing her a card before the girl nodded and rushed out of the office. She ignored the pleas to listen to the girls in the waiting area, instead shooting them the bird in passing and slamming the door shut. She ran through the halls ignoring the looks and pitied words she overheard as she rushed up flights of stairs bursting out onto the roof before releasing a sorrowful and anger filled scream.

Author's Note:

So I have no idea where I am going with this, do I make the Devil a good Devil much like Lucifer or do I make him evil like the one from Ghost Rider. And yeah, I took some inspirations from that. Do I have Sunset forgive? Not bloody likely on that count I'm afraid. Who do I have be the ones who trusted her or should she leave the school and go to maybe Crystal Prep or another school? Do I include the Sirens? Do I have Sunset return their magic? Do I change how they feed, if they do, or just return their magic without having to feed? How pissed do I actually make Sunset at the girls? Just ignore them or be hateful towards them? And last but not least, do I pair anyone with Sunset?

Maybe I should answer a question I know many will be asking. Is this a crossover? Nope, it is not. I may have taken inspirations from some things such as Ghost Rider, but this isn't Ghost Rider. Sunset will not be riding a flaming motorcycle or sports car. 'Nuff said, yo. Peace out!