• Published 28th Jun 2018
  • 9,786 Views, 377 Comments

New Life of a Crow - Knight of Crows



Long story short, humanity thought it was a good idea to kill itself not with pollution or nukes, but with bio-weapons. I was the lucky one as I was somehow resistant to the changes everyone went through and only benefited from them. She wasn't sadly

  • ...
53
 377
 9,786

Rewrite: Chapter 2

(Later the next day)

Ryan POV

Emily opened the pod and waited for me to adjust. My eyes still closed, I got into a sitting position with my legs crossed and rested my head on my hand.

"Something up?" I asked, tired. "We usually have that on a timer."

"I just thought you'd like to know that the natives are attempting to gain entry." Emily answered.

"This place is locked up tighter than Fort Knoxx if it were to have a few dozen layers of- what was Wolverine's skeleton coated with? Not important, and which natives do you mean?"

"The ponies. Specifically two of each race, all females."

"They're yours to deal with." I told her.

"Don't you think it's time to at least try to rejoin society? You've been down here long enough."

"If neither have been found, then I'm not interested. Now that I'm awake, I'm getting more alcohol, maybe grab something to eat." I started walking to the door.

"Your last meal was days ago, I'm surprised you didn't get any sooner." She commented.

"Nothing has any flavor anymore." I thought out loud, not loud enough for her to hear me.

"Now about our guests?"

"They're yours to deal with." I repeated myself.

"You know as well as I do that neither would want you to waste away like this. Please?" Emily is right, but it still hurts.

"I'm not repeating myself again." I left the room to go to the mess hall, if you can even call it that.


Emily POV

Try as I might, I can't get through to him. Misty was all he had after "human nature" finally ran it's course. Well, he said our guests were mine to deal with, so I'll surprise him. He tries to be very specific in his choice of words, but even he slips up every now and then. And I'm going to "milk this for all it's worth" as people said back then.

Those dogs tried for a while, but they couldn't even scratch the doors with mining tools, much less claws and fangs. Though they did get a shock when they tried to force their way in. After Ryan helped add it to my systems, I punished their attempts with the sound of a dog whistle through the speakers. That won't be necessary, or useful this time. I viewed them through the retinal scanner and saw "Twilight" taking notes as she examined the door.

"C'mon, Twi! Haven't you found out how to open this?" Rainbow said, impatiently.

"This is more com-"

"Have you tried pushing the green button to the side of the door? The one under the lens with the red light?" I asked her, startling all of them. It wouldn't work anyway, but that's only because they aren't authorized.

"Who said that?!" Applejack asked.

"I am the A.I. in control of the systems in this bunker, you may call me Emily. You are attempting to gain access to the- shall we say, home of the last humans on Earth."

"A.I.?" Rarity repeated.

"Artificial Intelligence, not that your civilization would know anything about that. In the simplest terms, think of a pony that was created and operates, depending on if it's a smart one or dumb one, solely on logic and calculations. In my case, I am a smart A.I., designed to be like a human with all the advantages of a computer. Now back to business! He said "you were all mine to deal with", so I'm going to surprise him!"

"'Last humans'? But they're extinct! Since long before the Princesses- the unification of the tribes! How is that possible?" Twilight questioned the validity of what I just said.

"... 'Extinct' is a very broad term at this point, especially since without humans and what he would refer to as 'their desire to play God', there would be no you. But enough questions. I'm unlocking the door, but keeping all except where the inhabitant of this bunker is locked as I guide you to him."

"You're letting us inside?" Twilight asked excitedly.

"Yes. Fair warning; he's incredibly unsocial, kind of a dick, and a smart ass. He likely won't be aggressive so much as he will be depressed for personal reasons and trying to drink away his problems even though he can't get drunk anymore. He does however know how to defend himself if he needs to. Keep your hands to yourselves and you should be able to leave unscathed." I warned them.

"What's wrong with him?" Fluttershy asked out of what sounded like genuine concern.

"... That's a long list, let's leave it at that."


Ryan POV

"Why is the rum always gone?" I asked no one. Looking to my right, I saw the answer. "Oh! That's why." Nothing but empty bottles over there, anyone else would have died to alcohol poisoning by now, but yet I'm still here. Still I can't decide if that's a good thing.

I left the room and wandered around with no particular destination in mind. For what was for all intents and purposes a bomb shelter, it really did not need several of the rooms it has. I can somewhat understand a library, but Emily should have immediate access to most, if not all of what's there. The armory became kind of redundant when it was found out I could use magic like out of a book or RPG, had that dismantled not long after. We don't need a hot tub. None of us necessarily had a problem with it, but we didn't need a game room either.

"Everything we could need, but not the one thing we want." I thought to myself.

"You have visitors." Emily informed me again.

"Clearly you didn't hear me-"

"I did, and I decided to let them in."

"... God? If you're there, I'm sorry for whatever I did to deserve everything that's going to happen in the near future." I looked up as I said this. "If you're there, please make them leave!"

"HI!!!" Something pink just appeared right in front of me without warning.

"JES-"

That's all I remember before falling back and hitting my head on the floor.

Author's Note:

This was stuck at 300 words for a while. I wanted it to be longer, but I think I'm either burnt out or just too focused on other things. Doesn't help when there's another distraction of sorts.

Season 15 on Destiny 2
Finally getting into Witcher 3
Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance
The chimera ant arc in HunterxHunter
New season of Jobless Reincarnation and Demon Slayer

Just to name a few.