• Published 19th Jun 2018
  • 402 Views, 0 Comments

The Stable - A Thaumaturgical Backstory - StableElement



Nearly all phenomena in Equestria are explained by "Magic" but what explains magic? This backstory follows the rise and fall of SCIENCE in Equestria and the stories it developed along the way.

  • ...
 0
 402

Chapter five - A Cursed Partnership

It seemed that Sunburst was fond of my interest. His eyes, too, lit up, he stood aside and welcomed me with a flailing hoof; "Why of course, please! I'd be glad to talk. Coffee?" He asks as if reading my mind. "Yes, please, I'd love some." I respond before announcing "I take coffee strong, no sugar". Sunburst looks back at me while on his way to the coffee machine and responds "Well is there any other way to have coffee?". I smile, laughing lightly into my scarf.

I close the door, the house interior is dark, the windows are dusty and the entire place seems to be in complete disarray, how could any pony work in such conditions? I can see that if I were to partner with him, there would have to be some stark changes made. I lift off my scarf and set down my saddlebag beside me; "Should I just leave these here?" I ask, pointing a hoof. Sunburst looks over and claims "Oh, no, I have a system for placement, here, let me take those." He levitates my belongings and places them just half a meter ahead of where they already were. He's kidding, right? This mess has a system? This guy is mad, how can he find anything?!

There's not much in terms of seating in this place... Suppose he's not used to guests- I know how that is. I suppose soon I should ask about his relations, find if he is in contact with anypony who can help spread this knowledge. I search the room in attempts to find a place to sit, preferably not atop a pile of books. I must admit, this guy has one hell of a personality, even his home reflects that; No shame in expression here.

A few moments have passed and I find what seemed to be a clearing in the books, a place that surrounds you in all directions but still, a place to seat myself. I'm sure he won't mind- I step carefully over the books and look around me before I rest my flank, my gray tail covering a good portion of the books in my local surrounding. Sunburst is still distracted, preparing our coffee with an unhealthy obsession for detail.

I suppose now would be a good time to ask. As I search the books that surround me, I call out blindly to Sunburst, "So, what is it that you do? You seem to study hard, I'm sure you must have something that this is all for". The room goes silent for a moment and Sunburst makes a call "Hah! Perfect, the perfect cup of coffee!"... I turn my head to face him, my body at a 45-degree angle away. He apparently was not paying attention, rather rude if you ask me- "Well, you know, I deal with the major events here. I'm sure you've heard, I take care of the princess Flurry Heart from time to time" He announces out of nowhere, a snarky smirk showing prominently through his pride of perfectionism with coffee making.

I awkwardly sit, waiting for my coffee, unsure how to respond in a way at all fitting... It seems just difficult to generate an expression or response when people are so proud of themselves like that. I feel like no matter what I say, I will never serve justice to his pride. This is all too much for me, what will I do? This is so much pressure- it's too much, even... No, I need to calm down, I can not let this opportunity go to waste. I need to work on this anxiety, though.

Sunburst proceeds towards me after perfecting the mugs of coffee, I levitate one mug from him and bow my head before expressing my gratitude, "Thank you, I appreciate it. Now, Sunburst, I have something I need to ask of you". I look towards him. He is leaning against his counter, but he seems tense. This may be just a horsehair too sinister... "It's nothing bad so please, threat not. I just hope that it's not too bothersome for you. I have a personal research project that I want you to be a part of. I also need to be sure that you will not tell anypony about this project" I explain with a smile.

Sunburst's body relaxes, his stance stands more confident and he replies "Research, hm? Well of course! Absolutely!"... I give a shocked expression. He just accepts it? Just like that? He hardly knows me... Something must be up here. Nopony in their right mind would blindly pursue such an obscure mission. But then again, he does share some familiar curiosity, as determined by these books. I suppose he sees the same in me that I see in him, a nerd pony in need of a nerd pony partnership.

Comments ( 0 )
Login or register to comment