• Published 8th Jun 2018
  • 5,690 Views, 183 Comments

From a Mirror to Canterlot High - mattchilly



Being a fan of Legend of Zelda I was ecstatic when my younger brother Mike knowing this got me a copy of Hyrule Warriors Legends from a garage sale and now I'm a teenage version of Midna, but hey at least I'm not cursed.

  • ...
16
 183
 5,690

Chapter 4: A 'Formal' Interruption In The Fall or From Canterlot to Canterlot [Edited]

Midna stretched as she walked into the house she and Sunset split, having just finished a quick jog around the neighborhood before heading out to the Fall Formal. Walking upstairs, Midna headed to her room to slip into her dress, but froze the moment she opened her door. The first thing she saw was the dress Rarity made her. The top half was a dark purple, leaving only part her upper arms bare due to two silver gloves that went up to her elbows, but were also connected to the dress’s shoulders by some cloth that expertly went from the silver of the gloves to the purple of the main part of the dress. The lower half of the dress was made in a completely different style, made of dark green and steel grey cloth, parts of the dress had metallic looking feathers on the sides, and the front of the dress had six patterns that reminded Midna of a snake sword, between the pattern's were large slits that showed off a little of Midna's legs.

As Midna looked around the room, her eyes locked on where her Mirror of Shadows was supposed to be and her face paled.

"No... no, no, no! NO!" Running over Midna examined where the Mirror had been only to find a single strand of dark red hair.

—With Sunset—

Sunset was with the rest of the girls at the Carousel Boutique and was about to change into her dress when her cell rang.

Picking it up Sunset saw that it was Midna, she answered, "Sup Midna?"

"Sunset, someone stole my Mirror of Twilight!" Midna said, making Sunset freeze.

"Wait… WHAT!" Sunset yelled, drawing everyone's attention.

"What's up Sunset?" Rainbow asked.

"HOW?! Midna please tell me you're joking!" Sunset asked, Midna ignoring Rainbow.

"I wish I was and I don't know how! I went out for a quick jog before I changed into the dress Rarity made me. Not enough to build up a sweat, but enough to get the blood pumping. I couldn't have been gone for more then five minutes, but the front door was still locked and I have wards set up around the house that not only alert me if something happens, but also make it so no one will look at the house and want to rob it. Whoever stole my Mirror also got past my wards! Wards that use Twili magic! Magic only I should have! I'm with one of my Twilight Wolfos and we're following the scent, but we're heading towards the school," Midna explained.

"And the only things going on at school are the Fall Formal and..." Sunset's eyes widened, " and the portal that opened tonight."

"Exactly! We're going to have to skip the Formal and get to Equestria ASAP! I've got our bows and some arrows, just in case, so get your ass down here! The portal's part of the horse statue right?" Midna asked.

"Yeah. I've got the book with me so I'll send a message ahead to let the Princesses know. Meet you at the statue," Sunset said before hanging up.

"Can you please tell us what's going on?" Applejack asked. "What 'portal'? What 'Princesses?"

"Sorry girls no time to explain, something just came up, so Midna and I have to skip the Fall Formal," Sunset said as she started to leave.

"Now hold your horses!" Rarity growled, grabbing Sunset's arm, "I'm not just going to let you and Midna skip the Fall Formal! I worked hard on those dresses and the two of you WILL be wearing them tonight!"

Sunset jerked her arm out of Rarity's grasp, "There's no time! Look, just come with me and I'll explain what I can, alright?"

"Fine, lead the way," Rarity said.

—In front of the portal—

Midna waited for Sunset in the shadows only a single red and yellow eye was viable, however, in the darkness of the statue's shadow it would be very difficult to see it unless you were looking for it.

'Come on Shimmy. Where are you?' Midna thought as she looked around.

Suddenly Midna's ears perked up as she heard Applejack say, "...hard to believe Sugarcube."

"Yeah," Rainbow added, as she and the rest of the group finished walking across the street and were now walking towards the statue.

When they got closer, Midna took one last look around the area to see if anyone else was looking.

When she didn't see anyone she said, "Hope you're ready Shimmy."

While Sunset looked at the statue everyone else looked around trying to find Midna, "I am, the Princesses and those who wield the Elements will be waiting for us."

"Good, that should hopefully make this a little easier," Midna said as she floated up, out of the shadows, to reveal that she had shrunken down and looked like an imp with long pointy ears, a stone helmet that covered her left eye and her hair was tied back into a single ponytail by a black circlet of metal that Sunset recognized as the 'shackle' that was this form's primary weapon.

When she noticed the stares that everyone, but Sunset, was giving her, she asked, "What?"

"Midna? Is... but... how?" Rarity asked, trying to process what she was seeing.

Midna sighed and looked away from the group, "It's a long story, but here's the short version: I'm...not human, I'm a member of the Twili, a race that lives in the Twilight Realm. As a Twili, I have access to magic which I used to take this form for... several reasons, one of them being that someone managed to get past my wards and steal a precious and VERY powerful artifact," here Midna hesitated, "I'm sorry I didn't tell you sooner but... It's just something that's not easy to talk about."

Everyone had different reactions.

Sunset looked at Midna with a small, but proud smile, Fluttershy's eyes lit up as if it was Christmas morning, Applejack looked on with a neutral expression, Rainbow frowned, Pinkie was deep in thought, and Rarity was looking at Midna as if she was a completely different person.

After a few moments, Rainbow spoke up, her voice carrying no emotion, "So, you've been lying to us, both you and Sunset have been," Midna flinched as if struck and Sunset's smile faded into a small frown. "A few years ago, when we met I thought 'oh hey someone new in town’. Then, as we grew closer, I started thinking of you more as best friends... as family. But you've been LYING to us since day one! How? How am I... no. How are WE supposed to trust the two of you now?!"

Midna looked away to try to hide the tears that were now slowly crawling down her face. Sunset looked at Rainbow then walked over to put a hand on Midna's shoulder. Applejack and Rarity looked at Rainbow with large frowns on their faces, Pinkie's hair had started to deflate as she looked between Minda and Rainbow. However it was Fluttershy's reaction that shocked everyone: she turned on the spot and slapped Rainbow across the face, leaving a red outline of her hand.

"How could you Rainbow!” Fluttershy shouted, surprising everyone, “You can see how hard it was for Midna to tell us this and from her reaction, what you said is EXACTLY the reason she was scared to tell us! It doesn't matter if she's not human! She's still the same Midna who became our friend! How could you?" With that Fluttershy turned and walked back the way she came, a river of tears slowly rolling down her cheeks.

Rainbow watched Fluttershy walk away, rubbing her check then noticed that Applejack, Rarity, and Pinkie nodded their heads in agreement, then turned to follow Fluttershy. Once they were a good distance away, Rainbow finally snapped out of her shock and ran after Fluttershy and the others.

"Fluttershy wait!” Rainbow shouted, “It's not like that!"

Once the group was out of sight, Midna wiped the tears from her visible eye, "...you said that when you came through the portal you changed from ‘pony’ to ‘human’. I want to avoid that, if possible, and I have an idea that might be able to work."

Sunset's left eyebrow rose, "What's wrong with being a pony?"

"Nothing," Midna said, "I'll want to see what it's like to be a pony later, but right now, we just don't have the time for me to get used to walking on four hooves, that's all."

"True," Sunset nodded, "We need to get your mirror back as quickly as possible. So what's your idea?"

"I'll hide in your shadow, when the original Midna was with Link, she would hide in his and when Link changed shape, she didn't become a wolf," Midna explained before her body became as black as the shadows on the ground with only her eye remaining the same, before she dove head first into the ground and disappeared.

Sunset shook her head, "Well… no time like the present," and with that Sunset gave one last look in the directions that the girls went and walked into the base of the statue where the portal was.

However, unknown to the group Vice-Principal Luna was watching from her open window.

Chuckling to herself she muttered, "And so their adventure truly begins, things will be very interesting from now on. Good luck girls, you'll need it for what's to come," Turning around Luna left the window to see to some preparations of her own before heading home.

—On the other side of the portal—

Once Sunset was through the portal, she was standing on her back hooves before quickly falling onto her front two hooves for balance.

"I've been waiting for this day for a long time," said a voice, sounding not unlike a mother’s would.

Looking around, Sunset saw twelve ponies. The first, to catch her eye was a tall, white alicorn wearing a golden tiara and necklace each with a purple crystal embedded it them, she also has a four-tone main and tail that blew in a non-existent wind and the symbol of a sun on her flank. The second, was a slightly smaller, dark blue alicorn who's mane and tail looked like the night sky and the symbol on her flank is a crescent moon she wore a black tiara and necklace with the same kind of crescent moon on the necklace as on her flank.

Next, is a light purple alicorn who's only a little taller than Sunset herself, who's dark blue mane and tail had streaks of raspberry and purple, her symbol is a large pink star with five smaller stars around it. Around the purple alicorn were pony versions of Sunset's friends. Pinkie and Applejack were Earth Ponies, Rarity is a Unicorn, while Fluttershy and Rainbow are Pegasi. The other four ponies in the room were guards standing near the door, two in gold armor and two in dark blue almost black armor.

"Princess Celestia," Sunset said with a small smile, "It's... good to see you again."

"And you as well Sunset," Princess Celestia smiled, "before we continue, this is my sister Princess Luna, but your message said that a friend would be joining you while the two of you look for a object that was stolen. Where is she?"

"I'm right here," Midna said as she rose from Sunset's shadow, still in her Imp form. Looking herself over, a small smirk appeared on her lips, "Guess my hypothesis about hiding in your shadow was right Shimmy, now then let's..." Midna stopped talking as she looked at Celestia and saw pure contempt.

"Oh, a Twili. How did you get out of the Realm of Twilight?" Celestia asked, not even trying to hide the hatred in her voice, "and for that matter how did you meet Sunset?"

Midna's eyebrow rose, "What's wrong with me being here and being friends with Sunset?"

“What's wrong? Simple, all beings of Darkness like you deserve to dwell within the Twilight Realm,” Celestia scoffed, making everyone in the room freeze and look at her, "After all, it's why the Golden Goddess banished you there."

Twilight and her friends were shocked, while Luna looked heartbroken, and Sunset honestly wanted to yell at her old mentor, but soon everyone’s attention was drawn to Midna whose lips were curled back in a vicious snarl, and visible eye had such a rage filled glare that everyone even Celestia took a step away in fear.

“We deserve to live in the Twilight Realm?” Midna repeated and, faster than anyone could react, Midna's hair shot-out, forming a hand, grabbing Celestia and dragging her so she was looking Midna in the eye, “Deserve? We’ve done nothing wrong! Our ancestors, the Interlopers, are the ones who turned against the Goddesses while we, the Twili have to live continuing to bare the weight of their sins! I’m lucky that I can walk in the Realm of Light without the fear of the Light killing me! No one else is able to! The Twilight Realm isn’t just our home, it’s a cage, a prison! Most of the Twili just stand around doing nothing because they’ve lost the will to do anything!” All the ponies, apart from Celestia, gasped, horrified at what Midna was saying but that’s only because Celestia was frozen as she looked into Midna's furious eye.

Tossing Celestia to the side Midna looked at Sunset, “Feel free to stay here with your ‘mentor’. I’m going to find the thief and get back what they stole,” Midna then turned to look at Luna, “Your guards had better stay out of my way because I’m in no mood to deal with them.”

Snapping her fingers a black and turquoise portal opened up next to the mirror and a black wolf with dreadlocks, light blue eyes, symbols on its legs, and a small stone mask on its forehead leapt out of the portal and stood next to Midna.

Looking at the wolf Midna asked, “Do you still have the scent?” When the wolf nodded, Midna floated over and sat on its back, “Good, then let’s get going!”

Right after Midna left, Luna brought up her hoof and placed it against the crescent moon of her necklace which started to glow. When it stopped Luna looked at Sunset and said, “Do not worry, now all the guards in the city know about Midna, they will help her find the thief,” She then turned to look Celestia, who was just sitting where Midna had left her, staring at the wall, “We’ll need to have a talk about this later Celestia. After all she was not the only being of 'Darkness' in the room.... and not the only one who was banished either.”

With that Luna looked at the purple alicorn and the pony versions of Sunset's friends, made a motion for them to follow and left the room.

Sunset took one last look at Celestia, before, she too, left the room and quickly caught up to Luna. "I'm sorry about Midna. Before we came through the portal we had a... bit of a fallout with the Rainbow Dash on that side of the mirror. She didn't take the news of Midna hiding the fact she's a Twili well."

"How bad are we talking here?" Pony Rainbow asked.

"Bad enough for Fluttershy to slap her hard enough to leave a handprint," Sunset said, making the purple alicorn and the others looked at Pony Fluttershy, shocked, while said pegasus blushed and hid behind her pink mane, "Yeah, that's similar to the reaction everyone had when she did it."

Luna chuckled, "Never underestimate the quiet ones, for they usually are the ones with the greatest hidden strength. Now what was this object that was stolen?"

"Midna has an artifact called the 'Mirror of Shadows', when she's not in her Imp form, it's her main weapon, but it's also full of Twili magic, making her the only one who can safely use it. However, the Mirror was still in our home when it was stolen and Midna set up wards to try to prevent that and she used Twilight Magic based spells to do that. So, whoever stole it, had to use the same kind of magic Midna uses... and according to Midna, Twilight Magic count's as Dark Magic due to how long they've been trapped in the Twilight Realm."

"That's very troubling," the purple alicorn said, before she realized something, "Oh, sorry for not introducing myself earlier, I'm Twilight Sparkle nice to meet you."

"Sunset Shimmer. Princess Celestia's former pupil… before my ego got out of hand-er... hoof, and I got a bit power hungry," Sunset said with an awkward chuckle.

"There will be more time to talk later," Luna said as a Unicorn guard in golden armor rushed up to her.

"Princess, there's a problem," the guard said, "Your sister's School for Gifted Unicorns, has been surrounded by some kind of yellow force field. It's difficult to see inside but what we can see is black squares floating up into the air. Also the being you told us about... Midna was it? She and that wolf of hers is on their way there as we speak."

"That means that the culprit is there," Luna frowned, "Thank you for telling me, block off the area, but let Midna and her companion through, we will be there shortly."

"Yes Princess!" The guard said as he saluted, then quickly ran off, his horn glowing a soft lilac. As the guard left, Luna lit up her horn and teleported everyone to the school.

Author's Note:

So a while back Flaming_nova asked me how'd I'd include the Fall Formal and to answer his question... I'm not. The Fall Formal in it's entirety was a red herring due to it not fitting with where I wanted the story to go, however I did want to get Midna a special dress so I used the Fall Formal as an excuse.

The lower half of Midna's dress was inspired by Blade Mistress Morgana from League of Legends while the top half is loosely based of Hilda's from 'A Link Between Worlds'

Edit: I've added links to the pics due to somepeople not being able to see them. I hope this helps

Morgana

Hilda

The 'Shackle'

Twilight Wolfos/Imp Midna