• Published 24th Feb 2019
  • 6,113 Views, 679 Comments

Friendship Is Magic! ... Unless You Are a Human - Huk



After a catastrophic introduction, a former soldier is struggling to adjust to his new life – facing ponies prejudice. Observing his ordeal - Celestia is starting to question how kind and forgiving her subjects really are...

  • ...
46
 679
 6,113

Chapter 18

When the night fell, stormy clouds filled the air, turning the streets of Ponyville into pitch black darkness, occasionally brightened up by a flash of lightning. The sky loomed over the city like a monster, ready to devour everything in its path. Every creature was running for shelter like there was no tomorrow. Except for one.

Cheerilee hobbled towards the train station with two saddlebags on her back, dragging one of her legs behind her. She was a broken shell, hiding in the shadows like some rogue, and frantically glancing around like a mental patient whenever her ears picked up any sound.

“Dad, miss Cheerilee would never do that!”

The sound of her name was muffled and distant, but her mane bristled anyway, and she dashed towards the gloom. With her injured leg like a ball and chain, she made it just in time to see two azure colored ponies emerging from around the corner. It was Bold Hoof – the unicorn that forced Scootaloo to talk, and his pegasus son – Gallant Mane.

“Hrmph, maybe she knew what I would do to her if she had tried anything with you,” Bold Hoof, always the braggart and always the first to start a brawl. “But from what I heard, other fillies weren’t so lucky...”

“But, what did she do, dad?”

“Something horrible, Gallant... You’re too young to understand...”

Cheerilee’s head dropped, and her eyes locked to the ground. The stallion’s words were screaming wicked innuendos, a duet with the scream of wind from the approaching storm. It was all a scream when the ponies she knew her entire life were accusing her of something so hideous and disgusting. It made her stomach turn.

“Oh, come on, dad! You know you can tell me anything!”

“Not this, my dear boy...”

“Why? Do you think I would be scared? Ha!” Gallant launched into the air like a rocket and performed a few loops. “I’m just like you, not scared of anything! If something ever attacks Ponyville again, I’m gonna mash it!”

“I know, Gallant, I know... I’ll tell you someday.”

Cheerilee took one step back into the gloomy alley. She wanted to get to the station, leave this sick town, and finally get some sleep. But fate had other plans. A gush of air came from the dark and hit the scene with the power of a hurricane. The breath of the monster from the high above grabbed the young pegasus by surprise, sending him higher and higher.

“Gallant!” Bold Hoof shouted, trying to catch the boy with his magic, but the pegasus disappeared in the shadow of the night.

She should have stayed away, should have let the father find the kid, should have just kept going towards the station – it was a logical thing to do. But when the colt hit the ground near the river, her instinct kicked in, teleporting her to his location before her mind could protest.

“Are you OK?”

“Miss, Cheerilee?” Gallant Mane shook his head. “No, you must hide! If my dad sees you… "

“I’ll be fine...” A lie, if she were to stay there for much longer. “How do you feel? That was a hard landing.”

“Um, I think I’m OK...” Gallant said, but gritted his teeth as he stood up. “A little bruised, but nothing I can’t handle. You... you really should go, before it’s too late—”

Too late came sooner than she had hoped. Bold Hoof dashed between them like a mad boar, roughly knocking Cheerilee to the ground. His expression told her, it wasn’t an accident.

“Stay away from my boy, you nag!”

“Dad! She just wanted to help!”

“Just like she ‘helped’ the other kids, huh?”

“I didn’t do anything...” Cheerilee stood up, clenching her teeth. The rough landing tore the gauze on her hoof. “You’re believing lies.”

“So, poor Scootaloo is lying too?” He glanced at her packed saddlebags, arching an eyebrow. “Going somewhere?”

“None of your business.”

“Oh, but it is!”

“What are you... Hey!” His magic surrounded her like a swarm of bees and jerked her off the ground. “What are you doing? Let me go!”

“I’m not gonna let you run away! First, you’re going to answer for your crimes, and then, and only then – I’m gonna personally run you out of town!”

“Darn it, let go!” Cheerilee kicked and struggled, but his magic was a vice, holding her tight. “You ruined the school, destroyed my house, and landed me in the hospital! Do you think the Princess’ going to turn a blind eye on all of this?!”

“That was self-defense! I couldn’t let you hurt my boy!”

“Self-defense?! You attacked me and beat up an innocent man, and you call that self-defense?!”

“Innocent? Just like his mouthy friend, huh?! Those humans are nothing but trouble!” Bold Hoof brought her closer and put on a sly grin. “When we’re done with you, I make sure to throw that... filth out of Ponyville, as well!”

Freezing razor sharp wind hit them once again, like a breath of a windigo feeding on the scene. When it faded, it left behind a clinking sound that got their attention. Bold Hoof’s eyes shot wide then, and Cheerilee hit the ground. An empty glass bottle with a skull and crossbones label was rolling towards them with a mocking cackle. An ominous foretaste of what was to come.

And it came fast. A hand emerged from under the nearby bridge, followed by the figure of a creature that Bold Hoof prayed not to meet. James stood in front of them, gaping. With his black armor, and empty eyes, he was death incarnate, and he smelled just as bad. Judging by the stench, he must have drunk a bar... and then some. He began walking towards them...

***

“I had a... weird dream a moment ago,” James said with a wicked smile. “You were there mister Bold, boasting about how you beat the crap out of my friend...”

Bold Hoof’s bravado turned to steam and faded like a fart in the wind. All of a sudden, he wasn’t so bold anymore – his name was like a cruel joke or the fate of irony.

“Look, um... I don’t want any trouble,” Bold said, motioning his son to get behind him.

“Odd… I could swear I heard you saying how you wanted to, throw me out of town?”

“Um... It was just an... misunderstanding—”

“Bullshit!” James’s good guy act was gone, replaced by pure hatred. “I know what I heard – how you bragged about beating the crap out of my friend, and what you wanted to do to Cheerilee, here.”

“Captain, please don’t!” Cheerilee interjected. “You’re drunk!”

“I’m not drunk, I’m... completely wasted! Mr. Bold... Would you like to join me? We could drink together for... good old times!” He said with a giggle but got no reaction. “Big mistake... If you would have said ‘yes’ it could have saved your life, but now…” Unicorn took a step back, hiding behind Cheerilee. The view made James laugh. “A cardboard cut out tough guy – that’s what you are! Only brave against those weaker than him. A goddamn... chicken!”

“Hey! My dad’s not a coward!”

“Sure... that’s why he’s hiding behind Cheerilee, shaking more than Lyra’s magic dildo!”

The young pegasus glanced at his father to see him cowering in fear, just like James said. For a normal person, that would have been a cue to shut up, and stay away, or to try to deescalate the situation, but for Gallant, the view was like a shot in the muzzle. With a defiant expression on his face, he blasted into the air, performing a loop after loop, going faster and faster, before launching himself at the bully with a mad battle cry. His flying hoof hit the spot like a sledgehammer... or so it seemed until James cocked his head and chuckled.

“You little shit!” His left hand was squeezing the kid’s throat before anyone could react. The effect was immediate.

Bold Hoof went first. His horn began glowing like a rod of hot steel as he enveloped James’ hand in his magic, trying to force it open, but it only widened the evil grin on James’ face. Cheerilee was next, grabbing his arm, and trying to pull it away, but it barely budged. No matter what they tried, resistance seemed futile.

“Captain, let him go! He’s just a child!”

“I’m not afraid of him, Miss Cheerilee!” Gallant said, unfazed by his situation. “Let me go, you monkey, and I’ll show you!”

“I’ll be damned... You really are a gallant little bastard, aren’t you? Maybe you could demonstrate it...” James glanced around for a second and picked up a hand size rock, perfectly smoothed by the river’s flow. “Here you go – crush it.”

Gallant cocked his head and blinked, but with James’ vise grip around his neck, he wasn’t really in the position to argue. He grabbed the rock with his hooves, and squeezed it, puffing like a locomotive.

After a few moments of trying and breathing hard, he looked smirking James in the eye. “That’s not possible! Nobody is that strong!”

James grabbed the rock in silence and held it for all to see. His whole arm lightened up like a Christmas tree and magic began. Everyone watched as the piece of stone started shaking and letting out a quiet snapping sounds, getting louder and faster with every passing second. It all reached a crescendo a few moments later when the rock shattered into twenty tiny pieces.

“Nice trick, wasn’t it?” James presented the remains to Bold Hoof, before spilling them to the ground. “I must confess that it makes me wonder how much pressure could a pony skull take...” He placed his hand firmly on Gallant’s small head, and glanced him in the eye, his wicked smile piercing pegasus to the very soul. “Would you like to find out?”

Just like with his father, kid’s boldness went out the airlock, leaving behind a shell of a pony that would pee himself if fear hasn’t closed his sphincters tight.

“D-dad, dad!”

“Oh, and here I thought you were not afraid of me...” James let out a chuckle. “Like father, like son, I see...”

“P-please, don’t hurt my boy! Please... I’ll do anything!”

Bold Hoof was on his knees, pleading. His body shaking as if his heart was about to jump out of his chest. A pathetic view of a pitiful man. Cheerilee realized it wasn’t doing him any favors, and joined in.

“James... Please, let him go. The child is innocent.”

“Yeah... So were you, and so was John – that didn’t stop that idiot from starting a riot and beating you both up!”

“And you want to be like him?”

Her words poked something inside of him, and for a moment, everything slowed down. James glanced between the terrified kid and his father, and back to Cheerilee. Her eyes like a mirror that reflected his conscience, forcing his mind into guilt-trip mode.

“I can see why John and you ‘clicked’ so fast...” James shook his head with a bitter smile. “You’re right... to a point – kid’s innocent... Time for a switch!” He sent Gallant flying and grabbed his father instead, jerking him into the air like a sack of potatoes. “Hello there, cutie pie...”

“James! Stop this!”

“Unlike the kid, that bastard deserves a lesson, and you know it!” Bold Hoof froze, his wide and empty eyes locked on James’ grinning face. “You consider me some kind of psycho, right? Now, what should I do to earn it... Hmm, shot in the head, perhaps?”

“James!”

“You’re right, Cheerilee! You’re absolutely right... That’s no psycho at all... How about, I just poke your eyes out? No, wait, I got it! Total dismemberment!” James snapped fingers, and a shining piece of metal popped out of his right arm, like a death’s scythe. “We’re gonna remove your horn, hooves, and tail and donate it to science! What a great way to redeem yourself – teaching all those ponies about the anatomy... What do you say?”

The answer was a massive pile of undigested dinner making its way out of Bold Hoof’s stomach and onto his coat with a splash, slowly oozing down to the ground.

“Yeah... I guess you’re right, that would be a bit messy... Maybe we should go for something less dramatic after all—”

“Stop this madness!” Cheerilee tried again.

“Tell you what... I’ll stop when you pick a punishment.”

“I... what?”

“Tell me what you want me to do to him, and I’ll do it! It can be anything—”

“Let him go!”

“OK... Anything, but that...” He said with a smile, but Cheerilee remained stoic like a statue. “Oh, come on, Cheerilee! He attacked you, ruined your house and the school, and wanted to beat you up again! He deserves a goddamn lesson!”

“Yes, he does... But not like this! This is revenge, not justice!”

Everything stopped once again, leaving the air with nothing but the sounds of approaching thunder. James glanced at Cheerilee to see a gaze of concern and compassion. Even after all the crap that unicorn put her through, he couldn’t find a hint of revenge in her eyes. He couldn’t decide whether to hate or admire her for it.

Shaking his head, he turned to Gallant who was standing nearby in silence, with pleading face and watery eyes. “See that kid? That’s how you earn real respect.”

“R-respect?”

“Yes, respect... See, your daddy hurt Cheerilee... badly, and yet she still cares what happens to him... That’s pretty… noble. Stupid, but noble... Too bad I’m not like that...” James jerked Bold Hoof around, pointing his hand at something. “Do you know what that is?”

“Your… statue?”

“Exactly! Your daddy and the rest of Ponyville put that thing there, to... honor me because I helped you in the past... A monument of hypocrisy, built by a bunch of liars... And, if there are two things I really hate, it’s are liars and hypocrites!”

A small bubble on top of James’ right arm opened like an eyelid, letting out a soft buzz. The laser pointer of his particle cannon formed a perfect red dot right between the eyes of his prey, but before he could do anything, a loud rumble got his attention…

***

“STOP!” A voice boomed from the sky, and something hit the ground nearby like a meteor, sending dust and rocks flying. Celestia emerged from the cloud like a fallen angel, her squinted eyes locked on James.

“Wow! Have you seen that, kid?! Superhero landing! She did a superhero landing! Awesome! But, it’s very bad on your knees, you know—”

“Let him go!” Celestia said in a very stern tone.

“I thought you were called to Canterlot.”

“I got back as soon as I heard what happened.”

“Took you long enough! What, did you stop for drive-thru?” Celestia didn’t budge, clearly not in the mood. “Anyway... Go to the Sugarcube Corner, grab a cake, and get back in ten, would you?”

“Let my pony go, NOW!”

“Sorry, but I’ve been looking forward to kicking that asshole in his asshole the whole day. I’m not letting go until I’m... What the...?”

James glanced back. Celestia was focused, her horn charged and sparkling. She gritted her teeth with effort, trying to teleport the pony away, but it wasn’t working.

“Yeah... As you can see, I made a few upgrades since our last fight – no more teleporting me or anything within about a meter of me, away...” His speech only made her try harder, turning the air around him and the stallion into a fireworks show. “Goddamnit! Are you deaf? You continue doing that, and you’re gonna cut him in half! ... not that I would mind, it would be pretty cool!”

“Do not force me to do this...” The color of her horn changed from gold to red, and her eyes started glowing with intensity. It looked as if she was surrounded by the fires of Hell itself. “Please...”

“I told you, stop this damn magic before you hurt someone! I’m gonna let him go when I’m done... which should be in a few seconds,” he turned to flour-faced Bold Hoof and chuckled. “Gals... Always want it their way, don’t they? But, it’s getting kind of late, so let’s make the lesson quick...”

James aimed his weapon again, and the air turned to a jumble of screams and pleadings. The ragged clouds above decided to add a bolt of lightning into the mix, just when his cannon discharged. A final outcry before it all went quiet...

***

“Good riddance… I wanted to do that for a long time!” Shaky Bold Hoof opened his eyes to see he was still alive. His body was turned around so that he could see the middle of Ponyville. “It’s an improvement, wouldn’t you say, mister Bold?”

James’ statue that just a moment ago proudly hovered above the market was shattered into a hundred little pieces.

James turned Bold Hoof around, grinning smugly, like a winner. “All those things I said earlier? I could do them to you…” He looked him in the eyes. “Every... single... one. But I won’t. Because I’m not like you! I don’t believe in witch trials, the court of public opinion, or lynching people. I trust Celestia to look into this matter objectively. You’re free to go...” He dropped Bold Hoof to the ground, and Gallant Mane galloped to him like there was no tomorrow. “I hope your dad learned a lesson, kid...”

Instead of a joyous reunion he was expecting, both ponies were just giving him this horrified expression as if they were looking at a ghost, zombie or an alien.

“What? I don’t shoot people in the back, you know. Go home...” He turned, to see Cheerilee giving him the same look. “Seriously? I didn’t kill the idiot! What else do you want?”

“It’s… not that...”

“Then what...”

He felt it, a warm sensation spreading over his left hand like hot water, except it was dark red and sticky. There was a nice round hole the size of a bit coin on the left side of his body, and the life-giving fluid was leaking from it like a beer from a tap. His confused eyes slowly turned to the left. Celestia stood there with the same horrified expression as everybody else, her horn still letting out some steam. A smoke signal pointing out the culprit.

“I… didn’t expect that...” He turned to the kid, showing him his bloody hand. “Do you know what this is?”

“B-blood?”

“More than that... This is the best present someone can ever give you, kid – pure clarity...” Both Gallant and Bold Hoof cocked their heads in unison of confusion. “It’s a rare gift that burns all the lies, leaving nothing but the truth... No matter how painful it might be...” He let out a slow chuckle and spat some blood. “You wanted to get rid of all filthy humans out of Ponyville, mister Bold? Something tells me, Princess’ gonna be more than happy to oblige...”

“James, I...” Celestia started, but when James glanced her in the eyes, she lost the words.

The weather decided to chime in, and the rain started pouring from the sky in torrents – like the tears from the monster that hung over Ponyville for the past few hours. James and Celestia stood motionless, staring at each other like a bunch of statues waiting for the downpour to clean them from the dirt.

It seemed like an eternity before his expression change, and finally, when it did, it was like a shot in her muzzle. James’ face wasn’t of anger, or rage, or anything else she had expected... Instead, it was a face of betrayal, and even with all this rain, she could swear she saw a few tears rolling down his cheeks. The view set her guilt on fire – a blaze that all the water of the world wouldn’t put out.

James broke the eye contact and turned around and without saying a word, began walking away – leaving behind a trail of red…

***

“I want to press charges!” Bold Hoof’s words woke Celestia from her daydream and back into the nightmare.

“I see you didn’t understand anything he said—”

“You’re taking his side, Cheerilee?! You should stick with your own species – how can you call yourself a pony is beyond me!”

“Funny... I was about to say the same thing about you...”

“Hrmph! The nerve! Your Highness, I officially demand an investigation!”

“You shall have it...”Celestia’s voice was cold and emotionless, her eyes fixed on the horizon. “I can assure you, I will investigate this whole incident myself, starting with... You!”

“M-me?”

When Celestia turned around, her face wasn’t of the benevolent ruler everyone used to know, but of something else, something... menacing. “Yes, you! Now, leave...”

“But... what about that human? You can’t just let him go, he’s dangerous!”

“Dear sir, allow me to say it one more time... BEGONE!” Her voice boomed like a shot of a cannon, and her eyes turned to sparkling chunks of ice. “Leave... before I show you how dangerous I can be!”

Bold Hoof opened his mouth, but one glance at the Princess close it shut again. She looked as if waiting for an excuse to tear someone in two with her own hooves. With a sheepish smile on his face, he nodded and trotted away with his son.

“Coward...” Celestia murmured as soon as their silhouettes disappeared into the gloomy night. “Cheerilee, you stay. I need to know what happened here…”

***

This was James’ second party under the bridge that night, but the way it started didn’t promise anything good. He was breathing heavily and thinking, then trying not to think, only to think about it over, and over again. He would probably stay in the crazy loop for eternity if it weren’t for the burning sensation radiating up his body. The familiar feeling of Tabasco being poured down his guts began as soon as the adrenaline wore off, and was getting from standard to Habanero.

“Fuck... The damn wound should have fixed itself already... Why isn’t this healing, APE?”

“The energy discharge left some kind of electro-static residue, preventing the nano-probes from functioning. Attempting to compensate...”

“It knocked out our nano-tech?”

“It would appear so, sir. Seeking medical attention is advisable.”

James didn’t get the last part, grabbing the bottle instead and getting ready to guzzle it all down. His approach wasn’t very original, in fact, it was probably the oldest one in the book. Drown your problems in the endless sea of ethanol, hoping they’ll somehow go away. Even if the result was always the same, people did it anyway, over and over... A definition of insanity, if there ever was one – old as dirt, but still going strong.

“Unless, you came here to lock me up, or finish the job – go away...” He took a gulp, didn’t waiting for an answer.

Celestia looked under the bridge but stayed outside – a bubble of magic protecting her body from the onslaught of the rain. James just kept sipping and didn’t even bother to look up.

“How did you know it was me?”

“I could smell the stench of hypocrisy,” James said with a smirk, but her arched eyebrow made it fade away a second later. “Oh, for fuck’s sake. Who else could it be? The better question is, how did you find me...” That one quickly answered itself. A diluted trickle of red was leading under the bridge, like a ball of thread leading to the Minotaur. “Right... You came to enjoy your handiwork?”

“I would like to ask you about John.”

“Oh, I’m sure he’s dying on schedule, don’t worry...” He was expecting a scowl but instead could see the horror filling her face. “Odd, I would have thought your little spies have told you everything by now.”

“I was informed about the incident, but... I had no idea it was that severe...”

“It wasn’t...” James took another slow sip, much slower than he needed too, savoring on her anticipation. “Dash saved his ass, and he managed to escape, but later fell down the gulch near your old castle.”

“Fell down... on his own?”

“Yeah... I saw it all – a freaking accident... What a guy, huh?” He tried to smirk but winced instead.

“Let me help you with that wound.”

“You helped, quite enough. Although I must say, this wound is pretty interesting… Not only did your magic passed through armor’s hyper-flex nano-polymer like a hot knife through butter, but it also somehow prevents me from healing. Almost as if it was... designed specifically for me.” James smiled bitterly. “But you wouldn’t know anything about that... would you?”

She answered by dropping her head, not even trying to deny the accusation. Her vacant expression and hollow eyes fixed on the ground were like a scream. She was guilty as hell.

“All those tests Twilight did on me, all those experiments, and Bon Bon sneaking through my room... It was to develop that little spell, wasn’t it?” James took another gulped and let out a chuckle. “Friendship is backstabbing, yay!”

“Allow me to explain—”

“Explain, what? That Twilight and you were looking for a way to kill me? I’m not good at this friendship stuff, but… I’m pretty sure friends aren’t supposed to stab each other in the back.”

“That spell was supposed to be used only in case of an emergency!”

“And that justifies it?!” He lifted himself off the ground and began stumbling towards the Everfree. “Fuck this shit!”

“Where are you going?”

“Anywhere, where you’re not!”

“You were drunk and threatening to kill a pony! How was I supposed to react?!”

“You really thought I would have killed him just like that? And in front of his kid, too?!” He shook his head. “Fuck me... You’re just like the rest of them! Thinking I’m some goddamn psycho!”

“With your reputation for violence, I needed to have means to keep you in check!”

Her words stopped him dead, just as the rain intensified – hitting him with raindrops the size of hail. Something high above was trying to cool off his hot head, and extinguish the burning rage inside of it.

“The last time I killed someone, we were fighting side by side. I remember that angel-white coat of yours looking pretty red in the end. We both fought, we both killed, and yet... I’m a psycho killer, and you’re a benevolent ruler,” he glanced at her with a bitter smile. “Reputation... Funny thing how that works... No wonder Luna’s still... Ah, never mind…”

He bit his tongue, but the seed was already planted, growing fast. He could see it in Celestia’s eyes – curiosity and fear, side by side.

“Luna’s still... what?”

“Never mind... I said too much, already.”

“I am trying to get to her ever since she got back. If you know something that could help, please tell me!”

He tried to stop it, but her words broke through his will… and a long dark chuckle left his mouth. “You... You really are something, you know? You want to get her trust? Get her to open up? You may start by not treating her like a complete moron.”

“What... What are you talking about?”

“The one thing she and I have in common – trust, or rather lack of it on your part!”

“I trust my sister with all my heart!”

“That’s why you sent your little agents to spy on her?”

A sudden stab in her heart left Celestia momentarily speechless with mouth hanging low, but the mystery of how and why James knew was quickly erased by the feeling of anger and panic. A moment later he was in the air, hanging by a magical noose around his neck.

“You told her?! You idiot!” She yelled, gritting her teeth. James just kept smiling. “How could you be so stupid!”

“Actually, she told ME!”

“W-what?”

“You heard me right, Miss self-righteous! She’s not the moron you take her for! She realized she was being followed YEARS ago, and when we became friends, she passed that information to me. I just put two and two together.”

Her magic faded in a blink of an eye and with it, the barrier protecting her from the rain. The water began striking her coat, quickly soaking her to the bone. But somehow, despite the torrential downpour, her mouth felt like a desert.

“Oh, why the sad face? Remember, she had a reputation! After all, she tried to kill you, take over Equestria, and make an everlasting night. And all for rather petty reasons, too...” James grinned. “Yeah... You’re right. People like her don’t deserve to be trusted.”

“I did not do it because I do not trust her! I did it to protect her!”

“Oh, cut the crap, would you? Luna knows ponies have doubts about her, she can see it in their dreams all the time. Especially those rich bastards, why do you think she hates those damn galas, so much? She knows that one mistake, and she’ll lose whatever little trust nobility has for her.”

“No... This cannot be true...”

“Really? You don’t trust her, why should they? Hell, who do you think spread those rumors about her and Shadowdancer?!”

“What... rumors?”

James cocked his head. “You gotta be shitting me right now… You didn’t hear how Luna was allegedly helping him during the takeover?!”

“She… WHAT?!” Celestia paused, but moments later, frantically shook her head. “No... I do not believe you! I would have noticed something!”

“Just like you did a thousand years ago?”

She noticed something else – a sinister grin on James’ face, getting wider and wider, his dark chuckle perfectly mixing with the view. He found a weak spot and wasn’t afraid to strike it.

“Stop! It is different now...”

“Is it? You didn’t trust her then, you don’t trust her now... History’s repeating itself—”

“No, it is not! B-be quiet!”

That was the last thing on his mind. The stutter was a dead giveaway that his words hit the spot. His gaping wound made him hungry for revenge, and he was going to get it.

He looked her in magenta eyes. “Do you know, how does it feel, out there?” He motioned at the moon, widening his grin. “It’s not pretty... First, there is the trip... All those lovely rainbow colors are drilling through your vision, leaving you with the nastiest case of vertigo you can imagine. You’re a lucky man if you don’t puke. Then you try to inhale, only to feel your lungs feeling with needles and liquid metal.”

“Stop...”

“Oh, let’s not forget the skin. I was lucky, my armor practically acts like a space suit, but Luna? Two hundred degrees in the sun, minus two hundred in the shade, plus a mixture of gasses trying to melt away your skin. Pretty nasty...”

“Be quiet! I heard enough...”

“Oh, and last but not least... Hunger and thirst. Just like my nano-tech, alicorn cells can synthesize the energy from a lot of sources, but that doesn’t stop your gut from nagging you. Try to imagine going hungry for a thousand years.”

“S-shut up! Just shut up already!”

“Face it Celestia, you abandoned her once, you’ll do it again!”

“No... Never!” Her tears were a and sobs were music to his ears. “Never again—”

“But, who cares, right?! She has a reputation, after all! Hell, I bet Twilight and you, have developed a similar spell just for her—”

A flash of white filled the air, interrupting his tirade. When it faded, Celestia was no longer there. The view made James high as a kite and grinning like some wicked clown… until, a moment later, it was all ruined by a voice from behind...

***

“Are you proud of yourself?”

James rolled his eyes, already knowing when this was going. When he turned, Cheerilee was there, scolding him with her gaze as if he was a student in her class.

“Yes, Miss Cheerilee, I am! Do you want me to stay after school to talk about it?” He tried his best to sound funny, but she remained a statue. He wasn’t the first brat she had to deal with. “Damn, that face... Too bad I don’t give a shit. Otherwise, it would be pretty scary...”

“Do you really believe Princess Celestia deserved that kind of treatment?”

“Oh, give me a break! You’re beginning to nag me...”

“Good! Someone has to!”

“Ugh, please spare me the lecture, OK? I don’t know how much you heard, but she deserved all of it, and then some!”

James tried to break the eye contact, but she didn’t let him. Wherever he turned, she was there, like a bad conscience he couldn’t shake.

“I heard it all, and we both know she didn’t! Yes, she made a mistake, but what you did was utterly cruel!”

“Mistake? She shot me for nothing, goddamnit!”

“For nothing? Really? You were holding a pony hostage! What would you do if the situation was reversed?”

James paused for a moment and smiled. “Hrmph, I would aim for the head... But Celestia is not me! And besides, that bastard deserved a—”

“A lesson! Yes, I know!” Cheerilee interjected and chuckled a moment later. “Heavens, you’re such an idiot!”

“Wow... That’s very un-teacher-like—”

“Oh, shut up! You’re not one of my students.”

“My first bit of good news! Now, if you’ll excuse me...”

“Can’t you see, you’re acting like a jerk?!”

“If you don’t like it, then why don’t you go molest someone else! Maybe earn that reputation that ponies gave you!”

He immediately realized what he just said. It was a slip of the tongue in the heat of the moment, but Cheerilee’s squinted eyes and bitten lip were a dead giveaway that it hurt. What hurt even more, was the glance of disgust she shot him a moment later, before walking away.

“Shit... Cheerilee, wait!” He ran in front of her, but she just kept walking. “Look, I’m sorry, OK?” He pleaded, but her face was a stone. “Would you stop for a moment?” She didn’t stop, in fact, she sped up, dragging her injured hoof behind her.

The view of the stumbling away pony sent an unbearable heating sensation through his entire body. An inferno to melt the glacier of lies he surrounded his conscience with. It was working fast and filling him with guilt.

“You’re right...” He said with a sigh. " I acted like a fucking asshole… Maybe Celestia was right, too…”

She stopped and turned, scolding him with her gaze like a brat after a very long school day.

“Apology accepted, but... we both know there is another person who should get one.”

“Cheerilee... What Celestia did, it...”

“Believe me, you’re not the only one who feels betrayed today...” She let out a sigh, fixing her eyes to the ground. “Ponies I knew for years and called friends attacked me for no reason. How do you think I feel about that?”

“So what are you gonna do? Accept their apologies and just forget about it?”

“If they’ll be sincere, then yes. What other choice is there? To run away? We both know that won’t do anything,” his curled lip was telling her he wasn’t convinced. “Look, I know Princess made a mistake, but maybe you should give her a chance to explain it?”

Another pause, another glance, another sigh. The more James thought about it, the more right Cheerilee’s words seemed.

“Yeah... You’re probably right...” He shook his head and facepalm. “I really fucked up, didn’t I?”

“Let’s just say that if you were my student, you would have to stay after school... for a month.”

“Jeez, ever heard of cruel...” His eyes shot wide as if he saw a ghost. “Speaking of cruel… If Luna finds out what I did, you’ll get a jar for the school called ‘human reproductive system – extended edition.’ I need to find Celestia before it’s too late.”

Someone chose that moment to turn off the rain. Some of the clouds gave way to the moon and stars, turning the pitch black night into a spectacle of silver. An omen of hope.

“We both better go, before it starts raining again,” Cheerilee said.

“Your train probably left already... If you don’t have a place to stay, I bet Twilight would be more than happy to take you in.”

“Princess Celestia already told me the same thing, but I need to go to the hospital first, and get a new bandage.”

“Need any help with those saddlebags?”

“Thank you, but I’ll manage... You got bigger problems to deal with, not to mention that nasty wound.”

“Actually, I was able to compensate for the interference, during your conversation,” APE interjected. “We are regenerating, Sir, albeit rather slowly. Regeneration rate is down to five percent.”

“Thanks for the info, APE... If only the other problem was so easy to fix...”

“Good luck, Captain.”

“Yeah... Something tells me, I’m gonna need it. And, Cheerilee...” He let out a sigh. “Thanks for sticking with John and for this, it means a lot. Especially after what happened.”

“Is John, really dying?”

“I’m afraid so…”

“This is... not right,” she shook her head, her eyes fixed to the ground. “Not right, at all...”

“Well, on the bright side, he’ll at least finally get some peace… I know it’s cold comfort, but...”

“I wish things had turned out differently.”

“Makes two of us... Now, if you excuse me, it’s time to get castrated...” His comment put a smile on her face, but not so much on his. “APE, scan for alicorn life signs nearby...”

Author's Note:

So... Was James really stabbed in the back here, or was Celestia justified in her actions? :unsuresweetie: