• Published 28th Apr 2018
  • 5,825 Views, 135 Comments

And if I don't belong... - RejectOwl



Twilight feels defeated. Thanks to dreamwalking, Luna discovers the facade Twilight has built.

  • ...
23
 135
 5,825

Adoption

"Sister, I have something I need to speak with you about." Luna said hesitantly.

"This better not be you wanting to bring another timberwolf cub into the castle, the last one nearly destroyed it." Celestia sighed as she looked over her paperwork. "First tell me how Twilight has been holding up."

"Actually..... both of those are somewhat related." Luna said evasively.

"Luna." Celestia stared hard at her.

"Sister, I wish to adopt Twilight, and have her live here in the castle with us once she is free of the care of Fluttershy." Luna said firmly.

"And if I refuse to sign the papers?" Celestia asked.

"Well...see....I kind of already told Twilight I'd do it, so if you refuse you break the poor mare's heart. 'Tia, she deserves a mother, not a monster." Luna pleaded. "I have been caring for her and monitoring her along with her friends ever since she was released from the hospital the first time. 'Tia that is a broken mare. Her parents and her brother very nearly destroyed her. I wish for her to have a family that will show her what a real family is. I know you would make a wonderful aunt to Twilight, and she was quite happy at the thought of Cadence being her "real" family as well."

"You know simply signing some papers and calling yourself her mother will not cure her, yes?" Celestia sighed deeply, hiding the spark of happiness at the thought of being a real aunt to Twilight.

"I do. But I also believe that it will help her to have something stable and a mother figure, and even better, an actual mother. Besides....I've always wanted a foal."

"You... you have?" Celestia asked in wonderment.

Luna nodded.

"I simply never brought it up to you because I know it is impossible for an Alicorn to have a child, I knew what I was sacrificing when we became such, I thought the ponies we would rule would be like my children, and I could accept that, but I still always wanted a foal. I never brought it up to you in fear of you not having those same desires and me putting it into your head and upsetting you." Luna sighed. "Twilight may not be a tiny filly anymore, but she will be my daughter, even if you refuse to sign the papers, in spirit, she is mine already. I would do anything to protect her. She saved me that solstice, I can now return the favor."

Tears leaked from Celestia's eyes. "I-oh Lulu, of course I'll sign the papers for you."

Luna smiled, "Thank you 'tia."

"No, Luna, thank you. I do not think any student has had such an impact on me before. I had honestly hoped someday she could become a princess herself Lulu." Celestia smiled shyly.

"Oh... oh! Yes! That would be so wonderful!" Luna exclaimed.

Suddenly there was a yellow flash, and very thick stack of papers, a fancy quill, and an ink bottle, appeared in front of Luna.

"This however, will not be so wonderful. You dear sister, have some signing to do."

Luna's ears fell flat.

"Oh horseapples."

"I only have to sign twice!" Celstia singsonged.

Luna shot a small blast of lighting at Celestia's flank.

"Ow! That wasn't nice."

Luna simply smirked and began reading over the papers, signing where it was needed.


Luna meandered through the city streets, wondering what kind of decorations Twilight would like in her room.

She seemed fond of her treehouse in Ponyville, and she would quite obviously be allowed to continue living there once she recovered, but Luna wished to make a room just for Twilight, to show her she would always be welcome.

"So, what do I know about Twilight....Books obviously, a couple bookshelves would be most appreciated. Favorite color, I believe she said once it was blue, blue and yellow. Hmm. Some pastels would go wonderfully together." Luna nodded to herself and entered one of the shops. "And a space for Spike too of course..."

The shop was quite colorful, full of lots of bright fabrics and furniture.

"Princess Luna!" The shopkeep exclaimed as he bowed. "How can I help you today?"

"I need some furniture. A bed, and a simple closet." Luna said.

"Yes Princess, this way." He lead her to a very large section, with many fancy beds and throws.

"Oh... Um not like this." Luna smiled. "Something very very simple. It's for Twi- a friend."

It wouldn't do to cause unneeded rumors right now.

"Ah! Forgive me, I assumed they were for you princess, I apologize. Then we will need to go this way."

Luna followed, smiling at the thought of Twilight discovering her new room. She would be family, and welcome whenever she wished.

"Oh! This is much more her style!" Luna smiled meandering through the various simple designs and plain throws. A simple dark brown basket with a seemingly soft pillow inside caught her attention.

"Oh this would make a great bed for her friend too!" She exclaimed. Luna poked the inner material and it felt very soft. "Sir, do you have more like this wicker basket?"

"We have an entire line, but they are fairly expensive as they are hoof-woven and...and..and... and I'm telling a princess something is expensive..." He trailed off. "Anyway, follow me."

Luna did very much like the style of the wicker furniture, there were beds, chairs, even a privacy screen of woven wicker. Her style did not mean Twilight's style though, so she would have to test the waters.

"I'd like to buy the basket please. Just the basket for now. I'll give it to her friend in front of her and see how she likes the style." Luna smiled as she and the shopkeep headed back to the basket.

"Just the basket will be twenty bits, Princess Luna." He said as he rang up the purchase.


"Spike!" Luna called.

Twilight and Spike were sitting together, going over a comic.

"Need a letter sent to your sister?" He asked getting up and stretching.

"No, in fact, I bought you a gift. To show I appreciate you helping to look after Twilight." Luna smiled and pulled the basket out of the bag.

"Oooooh." Twilight whispered. "That's pretty."

Jackpot. Luna smiled.

"It is, isn't it? I thought maybe Spike would like one of his very own, rather than sharing the beds of Fluttershy's animals."

"I do!" Spike excalimed. "It looks so cozy and very well put together... it's just woven wicker, right?"

"It is. I thought it seemed similar enough to your bed back in the library that you'd be comfy in it."

"Spike, what do you say?" Fluttershy scolded.

"Oh! Yeah! Thanks Princess Luna!" He exclaimed as he jumped into the basket. Spike said nothing but made contented noises as he snuggled into the inner material. "Soooo comfy."

"Thanks Luna." Twilight said. "It's nice to get a bit of stability."

"Twilight, I have some paperwork for you to sign, is that okay?" Luna asked.

"What is it? Legal stuff?" Twilight asked, assuming it was something of her parents.

"Yes." Luna replied and handed the papers to Twilight.

Like she thought, Twilight was smart, and would sign nothing without reading it.

She watched as Twilight's eyes widened as she read through the various forms.

"Are-are-uh- You were serious." Twilight stuttered.

"Indeed." She smiled. "Sign where it says adoptee, and then all we need is Celestia's signature. This whole process is much easier when you're an adult."

Twilight began to hyperventilate, and fell over in a faint.

"That... that did not go as planned." Luna frowned.

"I think you broke her." Fluttershy whispered approaching the alicorn. She carefully prodded Twilight. "She's okay, she just got over excited. Are you really adopting her?"

"I am." Luna smiled struggling not to laugh at the unicorns predicament.

Author's Note:

Note: Obviously, this is pre-flurry heart. She might end up existing still later on, but obviously will have a different loving daddy.

I am basing bits on the "An apple is four bits" from Call of the Cutie.

I felt we deserve a little cuteness after the last chapters. :)