• Published 19th Feb 2018
  • 6,117 Views, 1,294 Comments

The Ties that Bind - the7Saviors



This is the story of a bond forged between three fillies and the many trials and tribulations that strengthen that bond as they grow older. Friendship, secrets, and a dark journey awaits.

  • ...
18
 1,294
 6,117

PreviousChapters Next
ʎɐꓷ ʍǝN puɐɹꓭ ꓯ

The light of the morning Sun slowly made it's way to the window of Sunset's room.

As it hit the filly's face she clenched her eyes shut tightly before blinking rapidly and turning away from the glare. After another moment of trying to get comfortable she gave up and sat up in her bed.

The tired filly let out a big yawn and rubbed the sleep out of her eyes. With that done she threw off her covers and hopped out of the bed, ready to begin the day. Her stomach growled, but she ignored it and headed into the bathroom to freshen up.

As she stood in the shower, she thought about her studies on the different branches of magic and what she'd be learning about that day. Maybe the Princess would f̢̀҉͢͏ì͢͠҉͡n̴̨̛͘͞a͏͜ĺ͢l̴͢͜y̵ ̴̴̢̕l͘͡͞e̵̛͜t̷̵̡́ ͢͏͘͝҉h̵̨ȩ̷́͘r͏ ̵̸͜͝l̸͢͡͡ȩ͡a̡̛͘ŗ̸͝n҉̵ ̸̨̧a̕b͡o҉͏u̡̨͘̕t̶̡́̕͟ ̶̧͟͜D̴̢̀͘͞a̧̕͢r̷̢k̵̛ ́͘̕M͢͡͞a̶͘͜͢͡g͜͞i̷͡c̴̛͡.̸̴̧̛ teach her more about Soul Magic. She did have a couple of books on the subject that she hadn't read yet.

She set the thought aside as she finished her morning routine and stepped out into the castle hallway. One of the Royal chefs passed by her with a trolley of covered breakfast dishes. The mare gave a friendly wave which Sunset happily returned, taking a brief moment to breath in the delicious aroma of hay bacon and eggs in the process.

She smiled and continued on her way to Celestia's private dining room for her own breakfast.

She passed a few more ponies in the hall on her way, mostly the castle staff and the occasional guest waiting to meet with the Princess. The door to the Royal Archives opened suddenly and a busy looking earth pony stallion staring at a clipboard stepped out. Sunset barely managed to avoid running into the stallion and he looked up at the noise.

"Oh, sorry about that, little one," the stallion said with an apologetic smile, "didn't see you down there."

Sunset just smiled and shook her head.

"It's fine mister," she replied with a small giggle, "I wasn't paying attention either," she looked at him a moment and frowned. S̨͝h̶̡é̸̴̸̕ ̡͡c̷͏̷ǫ̶̢͘ų̸̀l̵̛͠͞d̢͏'̢͘v̀̀͡e̸̡̛͜ ҉s̡̛͠҉ẁ̡͞o҉̡́͟r̕҉̸̡͟ņ̀͢ ͘͜s̷͢҉̀h͠ȩ̶̕͝ ̸҉h̴͜͞a̢d͢͏ ̴̢s͟͡ȩ̸͟͞e͢͞n͟͟͜͜ ͝҉̷t̢͘͜͡h͘͡í̕͞s̵͜ ̢̀͏s̀t̴̀͟͟͝a̶̧͟͞l̸̡͟͞ļ̕͜͏į̀o͟҉̢n͏͏ ̡҉̸s͜͠o̶̧̕̕͡m̨͟͢è̴̢w̷̴̧҉h҉̷͝é͞҉r̵͏̷̛͘è̡̛͞-́̕͡ She gave an apologetic smile of her own, "I guess we both have to watch where we're going, huh?"

The stallion chuckled and nodded in return.

"I guess so, little lady," he replied trotting past the orange filly, "you have a good day now!" he called out.

"Thanks, mister," Sunset responded, waving at the stallion, "you too!"

She continued her trot to the dining room and eventually reach the room without anymore distractions. She knocked a few times, stepped back a bit, and waited.

"You may enter, My Faithful Student."

Sunset put a hoof to the door and pushed it-


Don't listen to her, Sunny.


Sunset blinked.

What?

She looked around the hall briefly, but didn't see anypony other than the stone faced guards on either side of the door. She gave a quick shake of her head and pushed the door the rest of the way open. She took one last look out into the hall as she stepped inside the dining room.

"Is something the matter, Sunset?"

Sunset Shimmer looked ahead to see a concerned looking Princess Celestia sitting at the far end of the long dining table in the middle of the room. Sunset couldn't put a hoof on why, but h̀͢͡ȩ̸̕͟͝r̨̧͏͠҉ ̕͜c̶̨̨͘͜ơ̡͝n҉̶̕c̶͢e͘͡͞͞r͏̸ń̸͘͟ ̕͝͞d̨̨̕į̢́͜͟d̛͞n̸̢͟͠'̨͠t̢͞҉ ̀̕̕s͢͏̀͡͠e̕͏̵͞è̵̛͡͞m҉̶̛̀ ̷͘̕͠g̨͞e̴͞n҉͝͏́͜ú̴͞i͘n̴̶̸e̸̷͟͞ Princess Celestia seemed more radiant than normal this morning.

Sunset shook her head and trotted the rest of the way inside.

"It's nothing, Princess," she replied dismissively, "just really hungry is all."

"Well, I think we can fix that," the Princess said with a light chuckle. She gestured to one of the empty seats next to her, "come, My Faithful Student, have a seat."

Sunset smiled and trotted over to the seat next to her mentor. Breakfast had already been served and Sunset's stomach growled once more as she seated herself.

"I trust this morning has treated you well so far, my Student?" Princess Celestia asked casually, taking a graceful sip of coffee.

Sunset nodded as she heaped a stack of pancakes onto her plate, "it's been fine," she responded, "haven't really done much other than get ready and come straight here."

What? No good morning for the kindly old librarian you always visit before breakfast?

"Well, that's good to hear, Sunset," the Princess said, lifting a fork of hay bacon to her mouth. She failed to notice Sunset's brief look of confusion as she spoke, "any particular plans for the day?"

"Well..." the orange filly replied slowly, "I was hoping you could teach me more about Soul Magic."

That's not what you wanted to learn~

Sunset couldn't stop herself from scowling at the odd voice she was certain was in her head.

What are you talking about? Who are you?

Oh, I'm nobody special. Just an old codger out to shake things up a little.

"Sunset?"

The filly snapped her attention back to Celestia who was now frowning at the filly worriedly. Sunset gave a sheepish giggle and absently jabbed at a pancake with her fork.

"Sorry, Princess, what were you saying?"

Celestia eyed the filly for another moment before answering - her gentle smile back in place.

"It's quite alright my Student," she said with another small chuckle, "I was merely stating that there was still much to cover in regards to Soul Magic. I think you could use a few more lessons on the subject - maybe more about it's close relationship with Elemental Magic."

Ask her about last night, Sunset.

Sunset's brow furrowed slightly as she listened to the Princess.

What? Why?

She didn't feel a need to ask about last night. It was a perfectly normal night that she spent studying like usual.

That's a load of horseapples and you know it. Ask her about last night.

"What do you think, Sunset?" Princess Celestia asked, bringing the filly back to attention, "does that sound like a good idea?"

"Oh, um... yeah, that sounds good, Princess," Sunset replied, smiling weakly, "I'd love to."

Celestia's smile dropped into another frown.

"Are you sure you're okay, my Student?"

"I'm fine, really," Sunset replied quickly, "I'm still a little tired and... I don't think these pancakes are agreeing with me."

Ask her, Sunset.

Sunset Shimmer hesitated, biting her lip nervously.

She didn't like where this was headed.

"Um... Princess?" she began tentatively, "can... can I ask you something?"

"Of course you can, My Faithful Student," Celestia answered, smiling warmly, "you know I'm here if you need anything."

Sunset smiled gratefully before mustering up her courage and asking the one question she was beginning to fear the answer to.

"I..." she swallowed and tried again, "I... spent the whole night last night studying in the castle library... right?"

A flash of something crossed the Princess' face, but it was gone before Sunset could identify what it was and her motherly smile was once again in place.

"Indeed you did, my Student," she giggled airily, "I had to send on of the servants to come get you for dinner."

She's lying.

A sudden pain shot through Sunset's head and she had to resist bringing a hoof to her temple.

"A-And you're sure that's all I did?"

Celestia narrowed her eyes slightly, a small frown replacing her smile.

"Yes, I'm certain, Sunset," she leaned a bit closer to the grimacing filly, "what's gotten into you?"

"N... Nothing, Princess," Sunset responded, clenching her teeth as another stab of pain shot through her head, "like I said, I-I think there w-was something in those p... pancakes that didn't-"

Remember, Sunset.

The filly groaned in pain and slumped forward onto the table, clutching her head. Celestia's eyes widened in alarm and she stood up from her chair.

"Sunset!?"

"I... I don't feel so good, Princess..."

Come on, Sunny you're almost there! Just remember!

T̨̧̕h̵͢͢҉̷ę͜ ҉̷̷̢͞R̴̨͟͝͡ǫ̸́͞ý̷̢͢a͡҉͏̧l҉̛̕͡ ̷̨͘͠͡A̶̷r̵̨̛͠͞c̢̀͘͢h̨͟͜͝i͢͡͏v̕͜͢͞é̸s̴̵̛͡.̧̛́̕

"Hang on, Sunset. Help is on the way, just-"

Just a bit more!

Á ̵v҉a̧n̶̕i̧͡s̕͝͡h̵͘͠in҉g ̀ẁ̕a̴͏l̡l̨̕.̴͏

"Sunset...? Sunset!"

A ̶ha̧l҉l͢ẃay͟, s̡o̡m̵e ̛s͜ca͠r̢y s̷t̸atues͡, and̀.̴..́


...a giant door?


Sunset Shimmer didn't even feel herself hit the floor as she blacked out.

PreviousChapters Next