• Published 19th Feb 2018
  • 6,147 Views, 1,294 Comments

The Ties that Bind - the7Saviors



This is the story of a bond forged between three fillies and the many trials and tribulations that strengthen that bond as they grow older. Friendship, secrets, and a dark journey awaits.

  • ...
18
 1,294
 6,147

PreviousChapters Next
An Old Friend

It would've been a drastic understatement to say that Frigid Gale was not a happy thestral. The mare seethed silently as she left the cottage, and though Nightmare had only asked a seemingly innocuous question, just the sound of the alicorn's voice in her head was enough to make her grunt angrily.

So, where do you plan on going from here? Surely you have some idea?

Faranda Way. I'm betting Ancient Scroll went into town at some point to gather what he needed for a quick escape, and knowing that town I shouldn't have any issues being what I am.

Nightmare Moon was silent for a moment, no doubt taking in Frigid Gale's decision and turning the idea around in her own head. After a few moments of silence and some angry trotting westward down the road, Nightmare spoke again, her voice slow and somewhat skeptical.

A reasonable course of action I suppose, but I'd already made you aware that nopony in that town knows where the stallion went, yes?

Just because they don't know where he is now, doesn't mean they might not have a clue as to what his plans were. Ancient Scroll took me into town more than once, and I know a few creatures who might be willing to help me find him.

Ah, then you have allies in this town?

More like a buncha folks who know Ancient Scroll personally from way back when. Faranda Way is that old stallion's hometown, and he left a lot of friends and acquaintances behind when he went on his adventures.

And you're hoping at least one of them might know Ancient Scroll well enough to know what he'd do or where he'd go if he was on the run?

Exactly. It might be a long shot, but I have a better chance of finding some answers in Faranda Way than I would in that Little Trot town. I doubt he headed further south out of Equestria, but you never know. Even if we're headed in the wrong direction right now, sometimes you have to take one step back in order to take two steps forward.

Nightmare Moon gave a sardonic chuckle at that.

Literally speaking, I highly doubt that's usually the case, but don't worry, I'm well aware of what you meant.

Just shut up, Nightmare, I'm trying to think.

Oh, by all means, don't let me stop you. Between the two of us, you could do with a little more foresight.

Gale just snorted angrily and pushed herself to trot faster, doing her best to ignore Nightmare Moon's mocking laughter. Truth be told, the irate thestral was beginning to miss the early days of Nightmare Moon being in her head.

Back then the dark alicorn spoke with an Old Ponish dialect as thick as molasses, but there had been a lot less sass and sarcasm. While her speech had been insufferable before, right now, Frigid Gale would've given one of her legs to hear that 'ye olde pony speak' again.

As it stood now, all she could do was ignore it as she pushed her weak and tired body forward. The first hour or so of travel was grueling for the thestral mare, but bit by bit, she gradually began to regain her strength and her mood began to lighten slightly. In another half hour she was well enough take flight, and the rest of the trip passed by in minutes.

By the time Frigid Gale reached Faranda Way it was nearing dusk, meaning Celestia would be setting the Sun soon. She landed just outside the town taking a moment to drink in the sight just beyond the gates. An unexpected pang of nostalgia struck her then, but she quickly shook it off and moved forward with a small grimace.

"Nope, not gettin' distracted again," she muttered bitterly, "just get in, get the info, get the buck out."

With that, she gathered herself up and trotted into the city, still somewhat weary, but prepared to do what needed to be done. As she hoped and expected, many of the creatures still walking and trotting about the streets paid her little attention.

She got the occasional glance or two, but in a town of such diversity it wasn't uncommon to get the odd visitor every so often, so they mostly left her alone and Frigid Gale herself did the same for them. She hadn't run into anyone that would've recognized her as she traveled deeper into town, and she found that both a relief and a disappointment.

Ancient Scroll was one thing, but coming back here after all these years, there were some creatures she genuinely wouldn't have minded seeing again. Though she had a feeling she'd find an old friend or two where she was planning to go, and thankfully she remembered the way there, even after so long.

Frigid Gale traveled down a few of the lesser populated roads until she'd nearly reached town square. In the middle of town was a wide, grassy clearing with a large dark grey stone monument at the center depicting the town's original founders. Gale took a moment to gaze up at the monument as she wandered past the few outdoor shops scattered around the square.

The monument depicted an earth pony with a large hammer in its mouth facing north, a griffon holding what looked to Frigid Gale like some kind of large scroll in one claw while pointing eastward with the other, and a diamond dog with a large saw raised in its paws facing south.

The thestral mare had only ever seen the statues a few times as a filly, and never bothered to ask Ancient Scroll the history of the monument or how the town was really founded, and if she was being honest, she still didn't really know or care. That said, the mare could appreciate a well crafted piece of art when she saw it, and the stonework was rather exquisite.

"Frigid Gale?"

The thestral whipped her head in the direction of the feminine voice she'd just heard, seeing a diamond dog who'd been heading down another street. The dog had stopped and was looking back at Frigid Gale with a furrowed brow and a bemused frown. After a moment, Gale did the same, certain that she'd seen the golden retriever who stared back at her somewhere before.

Oh? Is this one of those old friends you spoke of before, Frigid Gale?

Maybe, I think... wait...

"No, it has to be you," the retriever mused before walking over to Frigid Gale with a widening smile, "I'd know those beautiful leathery wings and that piercing gaze anywhere!"

As the lab got closer, it finally hit Frigid Gale where she'd seen this diamond dog before, and her own eyes widened in recognition. Without even meaning to do so, the grey mare smiled, her fangs more pronounced, and moved to meet the lab halfway.

"Tessa!" Frigid Gale laughed, her dark mood from earlier vanishing in the face of the unexpected, but not unwelcome reunion, "I haven't seen you in..." she paused, frowned, and shook her head, muttering the rest of her sentence under her breath, "no... no I'm not gonna make that joke. Damn you, Scroll..."

Her smile returned a second later, although somewhat more subdued this time around, and she moved forward once more. The two met and Tessa leaned down to give Frigid Gale a quick and slightly awkward, but no less heartfelt embrace.

"It's good to see you again, Tess," Frigid Gale said, taking a step back and smiling at Tessa, "seriously though, how long has it been?"

"Too long, Gale," Tessa replied with a small chuckle, "we were both much younger than we are now, and just looking at you now makes it clear that you've come a long way from the moody little filly Ancient Scroll brought into my inn all those years ago."

I would not be so sure of that...

"What can I say?" Frigid Gale replied, ignoring Nightmare's comment, "ponies, and thestrals change, but never mind that, how've you been? How's the inn been doing these days?"

"The same as it's always been, I suppose," Tessa sighed, "the Dog's Day Inn does well enough. I do wish we'd get more traffic, but it can't be helped, given how far out this town is from civilization," she shook her head, "but that's neither here nor there. Tell me, how have you been, Gale? What brings you back to Faranda Way after all these years?"

"Ah, well..." Frigid Gale frowned, rubbing the back of her neck as she spoke, "I'm sure Ancient Scroll told you about our little... falling out?"

"The only thing he told me was that you'd run away," Tessa replied solemnly, "the poor dear was completely distraught when you left, Gale. He searched the entire town looking for you, but he never found you in the end. He never did tell me the reason you disappeared," she knelt down so that she was eye level with the mare, a concerned grimace on her face, "what happened to the two of you, Frigid Gale?"

Rather than respond right away, Frigid Gale said nothing, staring into the old retriever's worried eyes. If she was seeking out old friends and acquaintances she'd met in the past, it'd only be natural that some of them would want to know why she'd left.

Gale had tried to keep the fate of her home and her kin a secret for so long, and even now she hesitated, but she also knew she had to tell Tessa something. She vowed never to tell anyone again after Ancient Scroll, but if she was being honest, the pain from that day had faded some time ago.

While she still felt bitter and somewhat spiteful towards the old stallion who'd raised her—especially after her earlier visit to the cottage—and while her grudge against the Solar Monarch was as all encompassing as ever, the desire to hold that secret close to her heart was nowhere near as strong as it once was.

That's not to say she'd go shouting the horrid details of her past from the rooftops, but she felt she could at least talk to someone close about it again—at least, about some of the details anyway. It was as she was trying to decide how much she should say that Nightmare spoke, adding her own two bits.

You don't necessarily have to tell her anything, you know. She seems the type to respect one's privacy, so I'm sure she'd understand if you simply told her you didn't want to talk about it.

True, but... I dunno, I kind of want to tell her something. Unlike Ancient Scroll, and a lot of others I've met, I actually like Tessa. I've made a lot of enemies, and gained a lot of followers, but I don't have very many friends, and Tess is one of them, so I feel like I kind of owe her some kind of explanation, y'know?

Suit yourself. It's none of my business to whom you decide to divulge your deepest secrets to. I'm simply an observer, at least, for the moment.

I'm not gonna tell her everything, just enough to satisfy her curiosity, and maybe if I'm lucky, I'll be able to get some info on what Ancient Scroll was up to while he was here.

As I said, it matters not to me what you decide to do regarding this diamond dog. Do as you wish.

"Frigid Gale, dear," came Tessa's bemused voice, "are you alright? You seem rather... distracted."

"Nah, I'm fine, don't worry about it," Frigid Gale replied, waving the lab's concerns away, "more importantly, I could use a drink. It's getting late, and though I haven't been to any, I know there's a bar around here somewhere. How about we hit it, and I can tell you about what happened over a mug of that infamous griffon made whiskey?"

Tessa's eyes widened in surprise a moment before she let out a bark of laughter and straightened up.

"I don't normally drink unless it's for a special occasion," the retriever replied, "but I suppose us meeting like this is as good a reason as any," she smirked down at the thestral, "though I think I'll be drinking something a bit lighter than Peckenstine Whiskey. I have an inn to run after all."

"Fine by me," Gale replied with a shrug and a smirk of her own, "I know my limits, and I don't get hangovers, so I'm good to enjoy whatever this place has got."

"Very well," Tessa replied, inclining her head slightly before turning away and looking back at Gale over her shoulder, "shall we go then?"

Frigid Gale followed behind the golden retriever as she began to walk, her grin still in place.

"Lead the way, Tess."

Author's Note:

Sorry it took so long to update this story and its sister story guys. I had actually run into a wall that I didn't know how to get past in the plot, but I pushed myself to continue and finally broke through it, thankfully, for both this story, and A Disparate Bond.

PreviousChapters Next