• Published 19th Feb 2018
  • 6,113 Views, 1,294 Comments

The Ties that Bind - the7Saviors



This is the story of a bond forged between three fillies and the many trials and tribulations that strengthen that bond as they grow older. Friendship, secrets, and a dark journey awaits.

  • ...
18
 1,294
 6,113

PreviousChapters Next
A Spot of Tea

Frigid Gale stepped inside the cabin after Den and was immediately struck by how extravagant the main room looked. Upon entering, Frigid Gale could see a large dark red rug taking up the majority of the floor in the main room; it was a great red and yellow thing with fancy ornate designs the thestral couldn't make heads or tails of. There were several stands and armoires with glass doors, both stacked and filled to the brim with odd, expensive looking knick-knacks.

Two plush black satin armchairs sat before a lavish gilt fireplace, In between the two chairs was a small coffee table made of smooth dark wood. To top it all off, there were countless paintings on each and every wall; beautiful works of art that included landscapes and portraits of presumably great griffons of the past. Either that or family, Frigid Gale wasn't sure whether it was one or the other or both, and she didn't particularly care.

The outside of the cabin had looked somewhat shoddy and dilapidated, but the inside was a completely different story. Frigid Gale would've been impressed if she wasn't so disgusted by the gaudy display. As she stepped inside she scanned the area, a grimace of distaste on her face.

"Geez," she muttered loud enough for Den to hear, "you realize you're just asking to get robbed, right?"

"I can manage my own home just fine," Den growled irritably as he immediately began making his way towards an open doorway to the back and left, "believe me, you don't need to worry about that."

I've got a few surprises tucked away for any thief stupid enough to try and filch my stuff, but this creature in my home? I'm not so sure they'll be as effective... not that I'd ever actually say anything aloud.

He didn't elaborate any further and Frigid Gale shrugged before heading towards one of the armchairs and making herself comfortable by plopping herself down in one of them. Den glanced back at her and scowled, but continued past the doorway a moment later without saying anything.

"Seems like you live quite the luxurious life for a grumpy hermit," Gale commented, her sharp blue eyes trailing over every piece of furniture and upholstery, "must be the perk of being a trader, though it does make me wonder how you get so much business all the way out here."

"I don't really," Gale heard the old griffon call back from beyond the doorway, "most everything you see here are things I've either salvaged or traded for. None of it was bought with bits but all of it is priceless and not for trade or sale."

"Really?" Gale replied, somewhat surprised, "then where's all the actual merchandise?"

"Do you seriously expect me to answer that question honestly, whelp?" Den snapped back, "because if you do, you're far less clever than I gave you credit for."

"Fair enough," Gale replied with another careless shrug, "doesn't hurt to ask."

"Ask the wrong griffon and it just might at that," Den answered, "my merchandise isn't what you came for anyway so why even worry about it? Or have you suddenly taken an interest in appropriating my wares?"

"Nah, not unless you deal in information," Gale replied before putting a bit of bite in her tone, "and if it wasn't already clear before, I'm not trading for information, I'm demanding it," she hummed thoughtfully, "I guess if you did deal in information trading then I suppose I would be appropriating that, maybe?"

"As it turns out, one of my jobs included a stint as an information broker at one point in my life," Den replied, stepping back into the main room with two small glass plates each carrying a teacup full of some steaming beverage, "but that work was more trouble than it was worth."

Frigid Gale sniffed the air and raised an eyebrow at the griffon as he sat down in the chair opposite hers.

"If I'm not mistaken that's... Featherfall Mountain Leaf tea?" she guessed, "that stuff is stupidly expensive. Did you import that all the way from the Griffonian Kingdom?"

"No, I... stumbled upon a large stock of the stuff and took it with me when I moved to Equestria," he replied, setting the tray meant for Frigid Gale down on the table between them. He looked up and frowned at Gale's raised eyebrow, "I got it legally if that's what you're wondering."

"Hey I didn't say anything," Gale said, raising her hooves defensively. She grabbed her own plate and cup of tea, "just surprised is all. Breaking out the fancy stuff for someone who threatened to kill you seems pretty generous."

"Don't get the wrong idea, bat pony," Den grunted. He took a small sip of his own tea and continued, "I have more of this brew than I know what to do with is all. That, and you can't be a good trader who works from home without showing a bit of hospitality."

"But I'm not a customer," Gale pointed out, humming at the slightly minty taste of the tea, "I'm here to more or less shake you down for what you know. Besides that, I would've pegged you for the rude, mouthy type."

"And you wouldn't be wrong, normally," Den responded without missing a beat. His beak turned up in a hint of a wry smile. It didn't last and he frowned across at the thestral, "generally I only let those looking to do business into my cabin and you don't get far in the trading business by being rude and mouthy with your clients."

"True," Gale conceded, "but again, I'm not a client."

"But you did threaten to kill me, and I have no doubt you could do it easily enough," Den said, giving Gale a hard look over the rim of his cup, "I'm no fighter, Frigid Gale, never have been. I am, and have always been, a merchant at heart. You may not be a customer of mine, but you hold my life in your hooves and I'm not stupid enough to antagonize you. Get it now?"

"Yeah, I suppose that makes sense," Gale replied with just a sliver more respect for the griffon than she'd initially had, "honestly I'd rather not have to get violent, so I guess we should both count ourselves lucky that you're such a pragmatist."

Den snorted and scowled down at the dark liquid in his cup.

"A coward is what I am."

"Hey, your words not mine," Frigid Gale replied before setting down her plate and giving Den a serious frown, "all that aside though, I think it's about time to stop beating around the bush here. I have questions that need answering and you're the griffon that may or may not have those answers."

"I'm pretty sure I don't have your answers, but you're welcome to ask," Den grunted, "it's not like I have anything better to do anyway."

"Alright then," Frigid Gale leaned back in her chair and gave the griffon a level stare, "I'll tell you what I do know for a fact. I know you knew Ancient Scroll, I know he came to visit you recently to obtain a certain something, and I know that you used to be a slave trader."

Den held back his urge to flinch, but only just.

Instead he frowned deeply and slowly set his own cup back down on his plate, his eyes never leaving Gale's. As she spoke, his mind worked furiously to pick out hidden details in both what she'd said and what she hadn't. It was clear she was searching for information on Ancient Scroll given what she'd decided to tell him, but why search for him now? Based on what she'd revealed back at the pub, she'd already cut ties with the old stallion.

What has that fool gotten himself into this time?

What he couldn't understand was why she'd chosen to drag his old skeletons kicking and screaming out of the closet. Never mind how she knew he'd been a slave trader in the past, what did that have to do with Ancient Scroll? Why bring it up at all? What did she have to gain?

Blackmail? No, the look in her eyes tell me it's something else...

In the end Den decided to wait and hear what else the thestral had to say. He didn't have to wait long for his answer, and to his dismay, it was exactly what he'd expected.

"I'll tell you right now, Den Golden Beak," Gale leaned forward, her eyes grew cold and Den sucked in a quiet breath, feeling his own body temperature noticeably drop, "I've saved my fair share of creatures from some pretty nasty situations and a lot of those situations involved separating slaves from their masters, usually very violently."

Ah, so it's personal then. Don't know how she found out about what I'd done, but it looks like she had it out for me from the get go. Figures...

Den would've chuckled if it hadn't been for his fear and the sudden cold sucking the air out of his lungs. He'd been down this road before, having to face the consequences for his actions in the form of some vengeful ex-slave or the loved one of a creature he'd sold off. Somehow he'd always been able to escape the encounters with his life, but he'd had more than one close call in the past.

"So... that's it, is it?" Den managed to grunt out. He forced a smirk, "planning to dish out some justice after you got what you want outta me? Slaughter me in my own home for my past sins, eh?"

"Who knows? Maybe I will," Gale replied coolly, "it's not as if anyone would miss you, except for maybe Ancient Scroll, but I doubt he'll be coming back to visit you anytime soon."

This time the griffon did laugh. It was a great wheezing laugh that quickly devolved into a short coughing fit.

"Ha! I doubt even that sentimental old stallion would miss me much," he replied, still chuckling weakly. His laughter died down and he let out a weary sigh, "still, if you know that much about me, you should already know I've been out of that game for quite awhile now."

He waited for a reply, but Frigid Gale only gave him a stony frown. One of her ears flicked as though she'd heard something, and her frown deepened just a fraction. Den watched her silently for a moment before lowering his somber gaze down at the teacup on the table.

"Don't know if it means a flocking thing to you, but I do regret the things I did back then," he muttered, "changed my ways and all that, but it still gives me the shakes every now and then," he shivered and coughed again, "speaking of the shakes, could you ease up on whatever crazy magic you're trying to intimidate me with? I ain't as young as I used to be and this can't be good for my health. I might just keel over and you won't be getting any answers then."

Frigid Gale was quiet for another long moment, seeming to consider his request. Her scowl grew more pronounced and she growled softly in indecision. Den noted that the mare looked as though she was struggling with some internal conflict, looking past him rather than at him.

Den made to comment, but suddenly sat bolt up right as an odd tingle shot down the back of his spine. It felt very much like someone was watching him, but he resisted the urge to look around. Instead he kept his sharp eyes on the mare in front of him. She still looked somewhat distracted by her own thoughts, which strangely made the whole situation a bit surreal.

I felt the same way back in the pub. Just what in the King's name is going on here?

As Den watched, one of the mare's ears flicked again in apparent irritation and she sighed. Eventually the chill permeating throughout the room vanished and Den found he could breathe easy once more. At the same time the odd feeling of being watched disappeared as well, much to his relief and confusion.

The old griffon's eyes narrowed ever so slightly as he stared at the mare.

Something's not right here, and it's not just that strange chill either. I'm not sure what's going on, but I don't think this bat pony's quite right in the head...

"Fair enough," Gale finally replied, "I won't apologize, but I will admit I got a bit carried away," she reached down to take a sip of her tea, only to frown and pull her hoof away from the icy cold teacup, "allow me to ask one more question before I move on, Den Golden Beak."

Den said nothing, already feeling the weight of Frigid Gale's next words pushing him down. Somehow he knew, even before she'd said anything, what her question would be. He only wondered whether or not he'd be prepared for it. As if to confirm his fears, the mare pressed her hooves together and watched him with a studiously blank expression.

"If you've truly put that part of your past behind you like you say," Gale asked slowly, "then why did you take such an interest in me back at the pub? It seemed quite as if you'd landed the biggest, juiciest marlin you'd ever laid eyes on. Why was that? I think both you and I know I'm not your type."

"By the King's name I should think not!" Den couldn't help but sputter with an incredulous chuckle. He cleared his throat and quickly regained his composure before speaking again, "I won't make any excuses because I get the feeling they won't help me here," he grimaced, "I've never seen anything like you in all the years I've been plodding along. It may have been some time ago, but I'd been in the slave trading business for quite some time before Ancient Scroll and that thick headed mutt pulled my sorry carcass out of that fire and put me back on track."

"And?" Gale pressed, "you still haven't answered my question."

"I'm getting there, girl," Den chided with a slight frown. Gale paused and nodded for him to continue, which he did after a second, "now then... I've tried to cut myself off from who I was back then, but I can't—not completely. Every now and then, whenever I get a whiff of a particularly lucrative financial opportunity, the old me slips out a bit.

"What you have to understand is that working as a slave trader had been one of the most profitable jobs I've ever had," he leaned back and stared up at the ceiling above, then closed his eyes as he ruminated on the past, "the sin of avarice weighs heavy on every griffon's soul to some extent, and nowhere is that more true than in the city of Griffonstone," he opened his eyes and looked back down at Gale, "I saw you in that pub, and for a moment I was that same griffon as back then, scoping out potential targets for a client."

"But you changed your mind," Gale commented tonelessly, "what made you decide against it?"

"Would you believe it was guilt?" Den asked with a self-deprecating chuckle, "somehow I managed to regain some of my senses and I left before I got any crazy ideas, then lo and behold, the very creature I was trying to get away from drops down from the roof of my own home."

Frigid Gale watched him silently for a long moment before giving a slow nod.

"And now?" Gale finally asked, raising a brow at the griffon, "still think I'm a prime cut of meat to feed to your clients?"

"Not so much, no," Den replied in a more serious tone than Gale was expecting. The old bird was quiet for a time, then looked Gale in the eye and frowned before speaking again, "I heard a good bit of what you were saying back at the pub—"

"I'm aware," Gale interjected with a scowl, "nasty habit, eavesdropping. Could get you into all sorts of trouble if you get caught by the wrong creature."

"And if you haven't done anything by now, I have hope that it's a forgivable offense," Den retorted. Gale's scowl deepened in response, but she didn't say anything so the griffon continued, "and at any rate, it got me thinking about something on the way back."

"And what would that be?"

"Ancient Scroll," Den answered, "for as long as I've known him, that stallion has had a knack for sticking his muzzle where it don't belong. Damn nuisance of a pony, but his heart's always been in the right place," he leaned forward, his eyes never leaving Gale's, "knowing that, I find myself curious as to what he did to make you ditch him like that. You said a lot, but nothing about what heinous crime he committed."

Frigid Gale furrowed her brows, clearly taken aback by the question. She regained her bearings a moment later and sighed before giving a helpless shrug.

"The old bastard might have a heart of gold, but nobody is perfect, and he isn't an exception," she answered, much to Den's visible dissatisfaction, "now it's my turn. How'd he convince a griffon like you to bow out of the trafficking business? I doubt that could've been easy for a pony like Ancient Scroll."

"On the contrary," Den snorted and gave Gale a wry grin, "the most effective way to convince a griffon from Griffonstone is through their wallet and Ancient Scroll knew that. He just had to wave enough bits in my face to make quitting worthwhile," his grin vanished, "don't know how the bastard got ahold of so many bits, but I didn't complain, and the protection from some of my more... unforgiving clients was a nice bonus."

"So that's why you traveled with him and his buddies?" Gale replied, looking thoroughly unimpressed with his answer, "some protection from disgruntled clients and a nice big bag of bits?"

"More or less," Den shrugged, "things were getting dangerous for me before he came along as it was, so in truth it didn't take too much convincing," he turned away from Gale to look out one of the far windows. He wore what Gale could only describe as a wistful frown before continuing on, "eventually, somewhere along the way, that map obsessed stallion grew on me."

"Yeah, he seems to have that effect on everyone," Gale observed, her own expression growing slightly contemplative, "only makes it hurt more when he messes up and says something stupid..."

Den turned back to Gale with a raised eyebrow.

Ah, so that's it then, is it? Said something he shouldn't have and drove the poor girl away?

Gale returned her attention to Den and grimaced at the small smirk on his face. She shifted her leathery wings irritably against the back of the chair, closed her eyes for a moment, then opened them again.

"Let's move on, shall we?" she exclaimed, "I don't think you'll be able to help me as much as I was hoping, but maybe there's something you can tell me," she turned to look out the window, "you see, I have reason to believe that Ancient Scroll has something I need, and with all the chaos in the capital right now, it's not really in his best interest to stay in one place for too long."

"Ah, I heard about that," Den replied thoughtfully, "something about murders in Canterlot, right? I wouldn't imagine he had anything to do with that mess, him living all the way out here and all."

Though if this bat pony is telling the truth I suppose that might explain his sudden decision to buy the Vardo. Making a quick escape are we, Scroll? Really... just what in Tartarus have you gotten yourself into?

"No, but you could say that some other problems that do have to do with Canterlot found him rather than the other way around," Gale replied with a knowing grin. It fell quickly as she moved on, "I've already confirmed that he fled his cottage and then there was that certain something he bought from you."

"The Vardo," Den grunted, not bothering to ask how she knew about it. He had his suspicions and it was safer to assume she'd been using some kind of magic to get more information out of him even as she asked more questions, "yeah, he and the mutt stopped by out of the blue to buy the old caravan from me; them and that Abyssinian molly. Didn't ask why, just took their bits and told them to take the thing."

"An Abyssinian?" Gale replied, taken aback, "what was an..." she paused and shook her head, "you know what? Never mind, I can worry about that later. What is important is that my suspicions are almost confirmed. Now I only have one other question before I leave."

"Oh?" Den asked, "decided not to mete out that justice after all?"

"Do you want me to?" Gale challenged in a low, dangerous voice, "because I have no problem putting you down, especially if there's a chance you might revert back to 'the old you'."

"I have that part of me under control," Den assured, raising a placating claw, "by all means, if you've chosen to spare me, I won't complain. Now ask your last question, I'm sure you don't want to be here any more than I want you here."

"True enough," Gale agreed, "I'm assuming at least some of Ancient Scroll's old friend's settled down somewhere in Equestria. My question to you is if you know where they may have settled and who else Ancient Scroll would go to for help."

Den hummed in thought, tapping his beak with a claw. After a few seconds he frowned at Gale.

"Do you plan to kill Ancient Scroll when you find him?"

Frigid Gale's eyes widened and her mouth fell open in surprise. Den would've laughed at the mare's expression if he hadn't been completely serious in his inquiry. He was very much waiting to see just what kind of reaction the mare had to the sudden question.

That stallion may never come to visit, but that's no reason to send an assassin after him. Not after everything he's done for me, that wouldn't do at all. I may be a coward, I might be greedy, I might be a bitter old bird, but I'm not gonna send this bat pony after him without at least making sure she's on the up and up. Threats be damned, I already have enough baggage as it is.

He watched Frigid Gale closely as she groped for a response to the question. That reaction alone told him everything he needed to know, but still he waited for her answer.

"No... no I'm not gonna kill the old stallion," Gale finally replied quietly. To Den she looked strangely vulnerable, but he dared not comment, "not unless he gives me a reason to. I don't wanna hurt Ancient Scroll, but he has something I need," she looked Den in the eye, her gaze both intense and oddly sincere, "if I have to get violent to get it, I will. If you believe anything I say, believe that I really don't want it to come to that."

The two of them sat in an uncomfortable silence for a long moment while Den continued to observe the thestral sitting across from him. Her gaze didn't falter an inch under his scrutiny and eventually he relented. He brushed a claw over his face and gave a weary resigned sigh.

I'm going to regret this. Somehow I know I'm going to regret this, but I also know that whatever the situation between the two, that mare still cares about the old stallion. I just hope that's enough...

He grunted and spoke again, his expression dour, but his tone accommodating.

"I don't know where Scroll's headed," he began, "but if it was further inland, he'd most likely stop by the Sour Apple. It's a roadside tavern an hour or so east of Little Trot by flight. There's a stallion that owns the place, goes by the name of Apple Core."

"Never been to Little Trot but I know where it is," Gale replied, looking visibly relieved for some reason. She slid off the chair as she spoke and began making her way towards the entrance, "I take it I'll know that place when I see it?"

"It's the only building out there for miles," Den answered, "you can't miss it," he watched Gale reach for the door handle and frowned, "one last thing though before you go."

Frigid Gale paused and turned to face the griffon with an expectant raise of her brow. Den was silent for a second, trying to gather his thoughts.

"Unlike Ancient Scroll, Apple Core sends me the odd letter every now and then," he began, "from what I hear, he's a family stallion now. Lives in that tavern with his wife and three foals, one of which was just born not too long ago."

Frigid Gale stared at him and he snorted before looking away.

"For the love of the King," he grumbled before looking back at Gale, "as long as you don't burst in with threats and magic, Apple Core will treat you right. I understand why you approached me the way you did, and I can deal with it, but you don't need to go bringing his family into your interrogations."

Gale continued to stare at him for a long moment, her stony expression giving nothing away. Then she turned back around, pulled the door open and stepped back out into the cool night. She stopped just outside the doorway, shuffled her wings before spreading them out wide, and glanced back at Den one more time.

The griffon felt his heart skip a beat.

"I'll keep that in mind," Gale finally replied in a flat tone, "thanks for the info, Den."

And with that, she took a few more steps forward, flapped her wings hard, and launched herself into the air. Den watched her form vanish into the sky from where he sat, but soon lost her in the darkness. He breathed heavily through his nostrils and stood up from the chair.

He moved over to the door Frigid Gale had left open and gently clicked it shut before walking back over and sitting back down in the chair. There was a long, quiet minute of complete silence as Den slowly turned his eyes downward towards the two teacups on the table. He picked up his own and stared at it, grimacing at the feel of the icy cold ceramic in his talons.

Why couldn't I see it earlier? That mare... that crazy bat pony... she's got it out for someone, someone that isn't Scroll. Maybe it was that corrupt Dark Mage, maybe it was someone else, but she's like a boulder rolling down a hill. She won't let anyone get in her way, she won't stop until she hits the bottom, and when she does...


...I'm a blasted idiot.

He clicked his beak and snarled before flinging the frosty teacup into the unlit fireplace where it shattered, spraying white shards and cold tea all over the hearth.


"Damn it all!"

Author's Note:

I had some trouble with this chapter, but eventually came up with something I was satisfied with. Sorry for the wait all. :twilightsheepish:

PreviousChapters Next