• Published 19th Feb 2018
  • 6,099 Views, 1,290 Comments

The Ties that Bind - the7Saviors



This is the story of a bond forged between three fillies and the many trials and tribulations that strengthen that bond as they grow older. Friendship, secrets, and a dark journey awaits.

  • ...
18
 1,290
 6,099

PreviousChapters Next
An Unexpected Encounter

Beatrix cried out in both pain and alarm as she felt a hoof smash into her side, sending her rolling across the dining room floor.

"Wake up, you lousy layabout," Mother said as she pulled on her work shirt, "I told to you this place was supposed to be spotless when I came back down here, and instead I find you sleepin' when you're supposed to be workin'."

Beatrix just rolled over and gave a pained groan in response.

"Unfortunately, I don't have time to deal with you right now," Mother continued with a shake of her head, "so you're gonna make this whole house shine like it was Canterlot bucking Castle, you understand me, girl?"

Beatrix whimpered in pain.

"DO YOU UNDERSTAND ME!?"

"Yes, Mother!" Beatrix cried as she tried to rise to her hooves, "I-I'll make sure t-the... the whole house is clean!"

"Good," Mother said with a satisfied nod. She made her way to the front door, making sure to give Father a good hard kick to the face as she passed, causing the auburn coated unicorn stallion to yell and curse, "I'll probably be back sometime this afternoon, but I don't know for sure so you better hop to it, girl."

With that said, Mother trotted out the door.

"That nag is bucking crazy," Father growled as he stood up and rubbed his jaw, "don't even know why I..."

He trailed off as his eyes settled on Beatrix. He let out a bark of laughter as he observed the filly trying to limp back over to the cleaning supplies she had dropped when she fell asleep.

"She musta got you good, huh?"

Beatrix didn't say anything as she lit up her horn and wrapped the broom in her pink aura. She had just begun sweeping the floors when she suddenly felt the broom wrested from her magical grip and before she realized what had happened she was on the floor clutching her horn in pain.

"Don't you ignore me, Beatrix," Father growled, "I asked you a question!"

Beatrix cracked a teary eye open and saw Father standing above her with the broom held in his cerulean aura and a glare in his same colored eyes.

"Well?"

Beatrix swallow and gave a small nod.

"Y-Yes, Father," she responded as she grit her teeth from the agony, "M... Mother told m-me to clean the house."

"Well I suppose you better get to it, then, girl," Father responded dropping the broom on top of Beatrix, "don't wanna make the nag mad do you?"

"N-no, Father."

As Father trotted into the kitchen, Beatrix remain curled up on the floor for another minute nursing her horn before struggling to her hooves. She tried to take the broom back in her magic, but the blow to her horn caused it to throb painfully and the pink aura to sputter out.

Without a sound of complaint, Beatrix clumsily took the broom into her hooves and resumed her now arduous task.


It was bordering on afternoon when Beatrix finally finished her chores for the day. Thankfully the painful throb of her horn subsided and the pain in her ribs soon followed. She had been able to use her magic again after about half an hour so and the rest of the cleaning went by much more quickly.

All the while she made sure to stay out of her Father's way which, thankfully, wasn't hard to do. Barring the occasional shouted command or nasty comment, Father more or less kept to reading the newspaper, rooting around in various places for wayward bits -- forcing Beatrix to re-clean some areas again -- or going upstairs to do who-knows-what.

Beatrix herself wasn't allowed upstairs so she didn't really know what went on up there. The only time she had been allowed up was when Mother had brought a pony over to fix the plumbing in the basement. Even then she had to stay locked in the small upstairs closet in the hallway so she didn't see anything of note.

She never did figure out why she had to stay quite and hidden, but like always she didn't complain about it.

Eventually one of Father's acquaintances arrived looking slightly nervous, but Beatrix paid it no mind as her Father stepped outside and closed the door. Over the next few minutes she heard the sound of her Father's voice getting louder and louder, but still couldn't make out what he was saying through the front door.

That was fine though.

It was none of her business after all.

On top of that, she was almost done cleaning, and soon she'd be able to go downstairs to the basement and play solitaire until Mother got home.

She was just putting away the cleaning supplies and heading down to the basement where her old deck of playing cards were hidden, when she heard the front door open and Father curse loudly as he stormed into the house.

"I can't believe that no good dirty son of a..."

His tirade dissolved into angry grumbling as he trotted upstairs. Beatrix watched him go with a worried frown and after waiting for a few moments, she was about to resume her trek downstairs when her Father came back down.

"The putz... making me head all the way into Hoofington," he growled, "said the bits were gonna be delivered to my door in a nondescript--"

He stopped and turned to Beatrix -- looking as though he only just realized she was there. Beatrix stood there, shifting her weight from hoof to hoof uncomfortably.

"Is... there something wrong, Father?" she asked meekly.

Father furrowed his brow thoughtfully before shaking his head and trotting towards the hat rack near the front door.

"Come on, girl," Father said as he levitated a dirty black trilby on top of his messy baby blue mane, "we're going into town on a little... errand."

Beatrix's eyes widened in shock at her Father's statement.

"You're... you're taking me with you into town?" she asked somewhat incredulously.

"Don't get too excited ya little blue headache," he sneered, opening the front door, "you think I'd trust you alone in the house?" he laughed mockingly, "I'd sooner invite a klepto over for dinner!"

Beatrix shuffled her hooves uncomfortably. It wasn't the insult that bothered her - she had gotten used to those - no, she had something much bigger to worry about...

"But..." Beatrix hesitated before continuing, "but what about Mother? What if she comes home and we're not-"

"Buck her," Father answered casually as he trotted outside, "she ain't the Princess, she don't control what I do. Now get the buck out here so we can go."

Beatrix bit her lip as she looked back into the living room before quickly following her Father outside. They both left the rather rundown two story house and began the relatively short trek out of the slums and into Hoofington proper.

Beatrix didn't say anything, choosing instead to cast nervous glances down every alleyway and street corner. The afternoon Sun was beating down from overhead, but that brought Beatrix no comfort in a place like this. Father looked down at Beatrix with an amused smirk as she trotted closer to his side almost involuntarily.

"Hey, brat."

Beatrix looked up at her Father and saw him jerk his head in the direction of one the alleyways she had been eyeing.

"That alley back there?" he began nonchalantly, "awhile back, three foals nicked some food from one of the local gangs and beat it into that alley," he looked down at Beatrix with a twisted grin, "you wanna know what happened to 'em?"

Beatrix shook her head fearfully, but Father continued on regardless.

"Some of the boys from the gang followed 'em into the alley, but when they got there, they found the brats split open like watermelons!"

Father let out a loud bark of laughter at the horrified look on Beatrix's face. Beatrix herself was trying not to lose her lunch as she shuddered, her fearful wide eyed gaze lingering on the alleyway behind them.

"Folks say it was the Razor Twins that got 'em," Father continued, "crazy freaks like to prowl around here from time to time looking for ponies to slaughter for their amusement. They show up out of nowhere, gut the poor saps, and vanish like they weren't even there."

Father leaned down to Beatrix's eye level with that same twisted grin, "so you better make sure you stay close, girl," he whispered, "don't want that cute little belly of yours split right down the middle do ya?"

The only response Beatrix gave was a terrified whimper.

Father just laughed again and trotted ahead - Beatrix struggling to keep up. Neither of them spoke the rest of the way and, eventually, they started to pass by nicer looking houses and a few stores here and there. Beatrix breathed a quiet sigh of relief as they finally made their way out of the slums.

As they traveled further into Hoofington the crowd of ponies became thicker and thicker around them. Beatrix - not used to being around so many ponies - began to grow more and more anxious, sticking closer to her Father.

Father led Beatrix down one street, then another, and two more before they came to a somewhat secluded spot near a small convenience store. Beatrix was thankful that were fewer ponies trotting about, but was jabbed sharply in the side by her Father before she could get too comfortable.

"Stay here, Beatrix," he commanded, sweeping a narrow eyed gaze up and down the street, "daddy's got something to take care of," he seemed to spot what - or rather who - he was looking for and trotted off, "I'll be right back."

"Father, wait! Don't-"

Beatrix reach a hoof out to her Father, but he was already crossing the street.

If he had heard Beatrix, he didn't show it as he continued making his way to an alley further down the street where a navy blue pegasus was waiting.

"...leave me here."

She slowly lowered her hoof and looked around nervously - her tail flicking back and forth in agitation. She got the occasional odd glance from ponies passing by as she stood there waiting, but they otherwise ignored the blue filly.

Beatrix looked back towards the alley her Father had entered after a few minutes, but he was nowhere to be seen.

A few minutes turned into half an hour and Beatrix was extremely worried by now. It took all she had not to go running into the alley after her Father - the only thing stopping her being the story of the Razor Twins.

She tried to calm herself by watching ponies pass by, but that did nothing to help. She looked towards the alley once more and was about to throw all caution to the wind and follow her Father, when her ear suddenly twitched.

Music?

Her ear swiveled in the direction of the odd, somewhat whimsical tune and she turned her head towards it's source. At first she couldn't see what was causing the noise, but by the gradual increase in volume, she could tell it was getting closer, so she waited.

It turned out she wasn't the only one that was curious, as she saw several ponies stop and turn their gazes towards the sound as well - some murmuring in confusion and some in growing excitement.

Eventually Beatrix saw the source of the music make its way down the street and she gave a quiet gasp of awe.

Coming down the street was a tall grey unicorn stallion with sharp azure eyes, a top hat, and - most prominently - a grandiose black moustache and goatee adorning his face. What caught the stunned blue filly's attention - and indeed the attention of the other ponies - was the large wagon the stallion was pulling along behind him.

Attached to the wagon were all sorts of random bells and whistles that confounded and intrigued Beatrix.

The stallion strode down the street with an air of confidence and assuredness that Beatrix had never seen before now. The whimsical melody continued to blare from a horn attached to the wagon and as the stallion passed her by, Beatrix couldn't help but follow after him and his wagon - absolutely enthralled by the spectacle.

She cast a glance at the large purple banner covering the side of the wagon and her eyes widened in wonder as she read the flowery yellow print.



HARRY HOOFDINI'S SPECTACULAR MAGIC FEATS TO ASTOUND AND AMAZE THE MIND!

Author's Note:

The pieces are slowly but surely coming together.

PreviousChapters Next