• Published 30th Dec 2017
  • 2,615 Views, 64 Comments

Bringing Back The Laughter - Flutterpriest



Pinkie Pie has Passed away. After the funeral, the ponies of Ponyville put it upon themselves to bring a little party and laughter to their quiet town.

  • ...
8
 64
 2,615

Chapter 10 - Tony Montana - Maud Pie

Everything seemed illogical to me. Come on, Pinkie? Yeah sure my sister seemed to follow her own twisted form of logic that nopony, maybe not even herself, could understand. Still, none of this made any sense.

Pinkie had far more close calls than I thought was even possible to the point that it seemed normal for her. Yet, my sister never failed to surprise me with each new one.

So naturally, this seemed utterly inconceivable to me.

But it wasn’t; I was at the funeral, I saw her body.

My sister is gone.

I don’t know what I feel. Contrary to what ponies might think, I do feel emotions, I just don’t display them very often. But in this case, I wouldn’t know what to show anyway.

Pinkie’s enthusiasm made me happy. It was comforting to me that one of my sisters was able to bring a smile to every face she met, even mine. Even though I didn’t really show it, I loved every moment we spent together; I just hope she knew.

Then I heard of what she had planned before she died. Did she really die trying to put a smile on a foal’s face?

I don’t know how to feel about that, honestly. On one hoof I feel frustrated that she put her life on the line for such a simple task for somepony she didn’t even know very closely.

But on the other, I know that this is what Pinkie always wanted. That was her talent, her hobby, her calling in life. It’s sickly fitting that she went out this way. I just hope that the foal wasn’t scarred by this.

I guess I should grieve, but I feel like she wouldn’t want that. Even though I want to, I feel like I can’t.

I walk out of the quartz mine, shaking my head to try and clear my mind, and head over to Ponyville. It isn’t often I head over there, especially after spending this little amount of time in the mine, but it felt right to me.

I can’t quite describe it, but it just feels like it’s where I should be right now. It’s as though Pinkie is calling me there like she would countless times before. It gives me an eerie sense of comfort.

As I reach the outskirts of town, I feel a sudden rush of sadness and pain swelling through me. I’m reminded of all the times I came this way with Pinkie as she dragged me into another one of her ridiculous adventures or silly parties.

Yet no matter how silly or ridiculous they may have been at the time, I feel empty without them.

I’m beginning to crack and there’s nothing I can do about it. No matter how hard I try to keep a straight face and not grieve or cry, I can’t overcome the urge to tear up. I feel the first droplet form in my left eye just before it runs down the side of my face.

I have lost the war against nature, an utterly futile war that I felt obligated to fight.

Hoping nopony will see me, I veer off the side of the road and head over to some bushes where I finally let loose. It’s been a long time since I last cried with Pinkie of all ponies being the one there to see it. I remember how she comforted me and helped ease the pain.

Now nopony would be here to comfort me; I’m all alone. This is something I’ll have to deal with by myself.

I try to think of some way to comfort myself, but the sheer grief surging through me muddles any thoughts I might have. All I can think about is how my sister is gone and how empty and lonely I am.

Part of me wants somepony to come and give me a hug, yet another part of me doesn’t want a single living creature to find me in such a depressing state. Even when grieving, my mind and heart are at war with themselves. I feel like any hope for peace of mind is rapidly slipping away.

I lose count of how long I remain there crying, unconcerned with anything else honestly. But after a while, I cry the last tear my eyes could produce. I’m left feeling tired and unfulfilled as though I wasted all this time and energy for nothing.

I feel bad having cried over Pinkie’s death, like I had committed some sort of crime or sin. I know that she wouldn’t have wanted anypony to mourn her death, but I couldn’t help it. I feel like I’ve failed her after all she’s done for me and everypony else.

I slowly get up and head back towards the road. The sun is beginning to set; I must’ve been there for at least half an hour. I head back towards Ponyville, still feeling drawn there for some odd reason.

As I enter the town, my stomach growls in hunger and I soon realise that I haven’t eaten anything today. I don’t know why, but I’m in the mood for a slice of cake.

It’s odd, really, I’m not usually one to eat cake. Yet, it sounded good for some reason.

Before I realise it, I’m standing in front of Sugarcube Corner. I can’t tell if I came here because I wanted cake, or if something else was calling me here. Regardless, I knock on the door, not sure if they were open.

Surprisingly, Mr. Cake answers the knock quiet quickly.

“Oh, hi Maud,” he greets me with a deflated tone.

“Hello, Mr. Cake,” I greet him back in an equally deflated tone.

“Are you here to eat?”

I give a faint nod and enter the bakery.

“Well, what are you in the mood for?” he asks, trying to lighten the mood.

“Cake,” I simply reply.

He ponders for a moment. “Well, what type of cake would you like?”

I shrug, “Whatever you have will work for me.”

He thinks for a moment and then nods. “I think you’ll like this one,” he says before heading back into the kitchen.

As he goes to get me a slice of cake, I look around the bakery. I can see why Pinkie loved this place so much. It fit her personality so well to the point that she may have well designed it herself. Knowing her, she just might have.

My thoughts are interrupted as Mr. Cake returns with a slice of rocky road cake.

“I think you’ll like this one,” he says with a genuine smile.

I look at the plate and back to him before nodding. Why was he smiling, though? I mean sure, it’s rocky road. I get it. But what’s so special about this cake? Was this a joke?

He sighs and sits next to me as I begin to eat the cake. Sure enough, it tastes great. There aren’t too many cakes out there that I like, but most of them were made by Pinkie.

Made by Pinkie…

Pinkie…

My eyes widen in realisation.

She made this for me, didn’t she?

As though he can tell what I’m thinking, Mr. Cake gives a quiet chuckle. “She wanted to surprise you with that one. Obviously now, that won’t happen. Still, she just wanted you to enjoy it more than anything. She always loved seeing you enjoy her cakes,” he says solemnly.

I feel a sense of calm and peace. Pinkie just wanted me to enjoy her cake and I was doing just that right now. I polish off the last of the slice and smile. I don’t care if Mr. Cake can see me smile, I just have to smile.

At last, I feel like I’ve made some sort of peace with the fact that my sister is gone. I feel like I’ve fulfilled a promise I made her without even knowing it.

Even though she’s gone, I can now take ease knowing she died doing what she loved.

Making ponies smile.