• Published 30th Dec 2017
  • 2,615 Views, 64 Comments

Bringing Back The Laughter - Flutterpriest



Pinkie Pie has Passed away. After the funeral, the ponies of Ponyville put it upon themselves to bring a little party and laughter to their quiet town.

  • ...
8
 64
 2,615

Chapter 11 - RK_Striker_JK_5 - Mister and Missus Cake

The hardest decision for for them was not whether or not to go. No. For Carrot and Cup Cake, how could they not say goodbye to their adoptive daughter, the one who brought such joy into everyone’s lives? They had to be there, though it would break their hearts.

As they stood in their bedroom, slowly dressing for the funeral, their attention was drawn to the crib in the corner, occupied by Pound and Pumpkin Cake. Pumpkin was chewing on a pacifier, while Pound smacked one wooden block against another. Both looked up and cooed as their parents walked over, forelegs outstretched for upsies.

Carrot Cake reached in and grabbed Pumpkin, lifting her up and nuzzling her. “Honeybun, what do you think? I mean… I think Pinkie Pie w-would like to see them one last time. Even if they’re still too young to understand.”

Pound’s wings fluttered as Cup Cake took him into her embrace. “But they are so young. And even though Pinkie wants the ‘fun’ in funeral, I’m not sure it would be… proper for such young foals to be there.”

Pumpkin’s mouth upturned at ‘Pinkie’. “Pinkie? Want Auntie Pinkie!” She wiggled in Carrot cake’s grasp. “Where’s Auntie Pinkie?”

Pound’s voice quickly joined his sister’s. “Where’s Auntie Pinkie?” His wings buzzed as he struggled to get out of Carrot Cake’s grasp. “Auntie Pinkie!”

Carrot Cake’s eyes closed. “Now, sweetie. Auntie Pinkie had an… accident. She’s gone off, now.”

Pound’s brow furrowed. “When will she come back? I wanna play with her!”

“Yeah, wanna play with Auntie Pinkie!”

Carrot Cake’s eyes screwed shut, but the tears still came. He hugged his daughter to his barrel and rocked her. “She… won’t be coming back, Pound. She was hurt really badly and had to… go away, to the Far Fields.” He glanced to Cup Cake. “We can see her… one more time, to say goodbye for now, though.”

Cup Cake’s head drooped. “Yes, one more time.”


The majority of the funeral passed in a blur. Celestia’s speech barely registered for the two. Condolences and others asking how they were barely elicited a response. Pound and Pumpkin scampered about the field, no one having much of a heart to stop them. They were still too young to understand why Pinkie didn’t come out of the box she was ‘sleeping’ in, but when Pumpkin Cake shouted that, “Auntie Pinkie still has parties to plan!” that was when the dam burst for them, and for most of those attending.

It was almost sunset when the Cake family returned to Sugar Cube Corner. Pound and Pumpkin were asleep in their carriage, snoring slightly. The only other sound was the door swinging open.

No laughter greeted them. No shouts of joy heralded their arrival. Their home was silent, bereft of laughter. And neither one knew when they’d hear it again.