• Published 15th Dec 2017
  • 3,455 Views, 142 Comments

Overlords and Friendship... - OblivionShadow



When his realm is brought to Equestria what's an Overlord to do? Look into conquering it of course!

  • ...
7
 142
 3,455

13: Capture and Testing...

Azure walked behind the purple mare as she led him through the most populated portions of the city, allowing him to hunt for the wayward mare. She was guiding him to the main market and then further if needed. The armored stallion’s hooves thudded against the paved streets of the capital. Twilight paused at a street and looked down it to see if she could see anything.

“Anything?” Azure asked her as he drew up next to her.

“I can’t see anything.” She admitted and looked up to him.

Azure flicked his ears and listened to see if there was anything that sounded familiar to him. “I don’t hear anything. I can send a few minions that way to see.”

“I don’t want to send the minions out just in case they cause a panic.” Twilight reasoned to him.

“Would not be the first time they ran through the streets.”

“I know. But that was an emergency. They had already shown that they could hunt for the changelings so we needed them to run around.” She replied.

Azure grumbled in reply and nodded at her words. “If this gets to be more troublesome then I will send them anyway.”

The Alicorn nodded. “Sounds fair. If you and I can’t find her then I will agree to the minions running around to find her. Just in small groups?”

“Fair enough.” He allowed her to get a small victory in his presence.

She smiled brightly and began to lead him once more. He glanced around him and his red eyes searched the area around him for any sign of his missing Mistress. While he was still enraged at the audacity of her actions he was aware that murdering her in public was not in his own best interests. His helm sat in place and allowed Gnarl to watch through his eyes as well. The Minion Master had said very little so far.

“Anything down there?” Twilight asked him, jarring him from his thoughts.

He looked down the long alley and nothing caught his attention as he shook his head at her. “Nothing so far. For her sake, she better be close by.”

“Is she the only one from your kingdom?” Twilight asked as they started to walk past the last alleyway.

Azure paused as he considered her question. “I have other emissaries yes.” He chose not to call them by the normal name to avoid any questions that would bring.

“Are they all mares?” She asked.

“Yes. They held positions of higher importance when I took my kingdom. So it made sense to keep them close.” He explained.

“What are their names?” She asked, her eyes curious.

“Kelda and Faye.”

Twilight was quiet as they paused to look down another road. “Pretty names.”

“They suit them to be honest.” He looked down the road and shook his head at the Alicorn.

Twilight nodded in reply. “Okay, there is the market. Will see if she is there.”

Azure nodded in reply and stayed at her side as they stood at the opening to the market. The armored pony looked out over the vast amount of ponies. Azure looked over the crowd and tried to see if he could see the errant mare from where he stood. He felt a wind go past him as Twilight took to the air and hovered above him. She squinted and he watched as she looked down to him and bade him wait for her. Once he nodded in agreement she took wing. Azure stood in place and watched as she moved through the air. He was careful not to send the minions in despite the temptation to do so. He looked back to the circling Alicorn as she flew back toward him.

“I see her.” She called out.

“And?”

“She has attracted quite a crowd,” Twilight said as she took to the ground next to him. “This way.”

The mare stared forward and he was on her hip as they walked into the crowd. Azure said nothing as the ponies slowly became aware of the armored pony and the small horde behind him. They backed up and slowly made way for him and the Alicorn. His ears flicked forward and he heard a familiar voice. He pushed past a small group of assembled stallions and stood silent among them as Juno spun in a slow circle. He looked at her and he could see her form shimmering in front of him. A slight stomp of his hoof silenced the minions with him. ‘They took the bait, for once Juno’s stupidity came in useful.’ He thought to himself and allowed himself a cocky grin. That was one plan that he was ready for. Though now he had to figure out how to get her out of there without making too much of a fuss over her. At the same time, he was still furious that she had gone to Canterlot without his permission. The mare spun in a circle and her eyes widened at the sight of the fully armored Overlord standing among the admirers that she had gathered. She stopped and looked at him, a smile crossing her mouth.

“My Lord.” She crooned aloud. “You finally join me. I took the chance to come to Canterlot to ensure that ponies knew of…”

“Silence.” He said to her, his voice flat, but still held the anger under it.

She went quiet and he could see the form shimmering before him. “Sire?”

“You left the Netherworld without my permission. You came to Canterlot against orders to remain in the Netherworld. And now you expect me to be happy about your failures. If you were not in trouble before you most certainly are now.” He said to her as he approached her.

She opened her mouth to speak and a moment later a slap sounded out in the quiet square. Twilight gasped behind him, her hoof going over her mouth. A trickle of blood came from the side of her mouth. His armored hoof had struck her along the side of her mouth up to her cheekbone. Juno backed up and a shocked sound came from her. “Sire?” Her voice was small and quiet.

“You seemed to believe that you have my favor and can do as you wish. There are others in line ahead of you and they do not do as they wish. My command is not to be argued. You have displeased me greatly. I rule the Netherworld and you have acted in a way that has not only angered me, but I am also considering your place in the Nether world and whether you are to be permitted back within my kingdom at all.” Azure went on.

Juno was silent as the crowd that had gathered was no longer looking at her with favor. They were now staring at the angry red stallion and were slowly backing up at the sound of the clear tongue lashing. She leaned back on her heels and bowed her head to him. “Please forgive me, My Lord. I did not think that my actions would…”

“That is the problem Juno. You do not think.” He snarled as he interrupted her. “We are leaving right now. If you value your life you will do as you are commanded.”

“Yes, Sire.” She whispered and began to follow him as he spun to leave the crowd.

Twilight stayed with them as Azure led the way back to the Netherworld Gate. Azure’s hooves were like thunder as he walked. His steps were deliberately heavy to impress upon the mare that she was troubling him. He allowed a slight tug at the side of his mouth as the thought that he was about to take the changeling into his realm and only then would he choose what to do with it. His first inclination was to use his own magic on it and bring to his own way of thinking. If that failed then he would see how the creature held up to torture.

“Master?”

“Yes?”

“One of the minions at the Hive Gate has returned saying that a mare was taken into the Hive and has not come out.”

Azure chuckled for a moment before he nodded in reply to Gnarls information. “Understood. Can you see everything exactly as I do Gnarl?”

“No Master. I can only see what the helm is seeing.”

“Understood. I will explain when I return.”

“As you command, Master.”

They fell silent as they approached the Gate and Azure stopped in front of it. “We will go to Ponyville first to return you home Twilight. Then we will go home.” He said as he glared at Juno, who shrank under his gaze. Twilight nodded and her gaze fell on the mare. Azure watched as her eyes darkened for a moment as she gazed at the cowering mare. It was gone in a moment but Azure saw the corruption in her gaze for that single moment in time. He said nothing and simply walked up to the stairs to the waiting Gate. Twilight joined him and Juno stepped onto the stairs to join them. Hunter reached out and gripped the mare's shoulder and Twilight set a hoof on his armor. The Gates lightning flared a crash of thunder told him that they were back in Ponyville. Twilight trotted down the steps and looked to him.

“Till next time Azure.” She said and her eyes once more fell on Juno. She stared at the other mare and waved goodbye to the stallion.

He waited till she was a fair distance away before he commanded the Gate once more. His red eyes blazed as he looked to the changeling next to him. He would let it move ahead of him to see what would happen. He gave a sharp whistle and Wrath removed the helm that he wore and set it to the side on the map table. Kelda was sitting at her place by Azure’s throne and Faye had taken her place as well. Azure knew that it was meant to show the wayward mare her place.

“What have you done Juno?” Kelda shouted at her.

Azure said nothing as the Nordberg bred mare stood up and approached the other. He went to his throne and decided to see how the changeling would react. He slowly summoned his best minions to take the place of the normal guards, allowing him to command them if needed. Out of the corner of his eyes, he saw Gnarl looking to him. He said nothing and looked to the mares once more.

“You have no idea how much trouble and aggravation you have caused us. But the worst thing you have done is anger our Lord. You have cost him the time that could have been spent bringing these lowly ponies to heel, instead, he is forced to run around after you.” Kelda’s voice raised as she grew more enraged by the other mares silence.

“Kelda.” Azure's voice rolled over them.

The mare looked back to him and she went back to her seat and waited as he looked at the offending mare, who had remained silent. He tapped his hoof and the minions swarmed the mare and she looked up as they surrounded her. She looked up to him and he stood up to approach her. His hooves thudded heavily on the metal flooring. He reached her and the minions stayed between them and her.

“Juno.” He said her name as he stood still, his armor giving off the occasional sound as it settled on his body.

“Lord, I didn’t think it would be an issue to act on my own.” She began, a loud snort from Kelda silenced her.

“You thought you held my favor?” He said to her.

“Yes?” She replied to him. phrasing her reply as a question.

“You’re not certain?” He asked her.

“I thought I did.” She replied.

“The only one that has my true favor is Kelda. You are the last one that I would give any preference to. Faye comes in behind her. Kelda has my favor and is able to act as needed. You are nothing more than a somewhat pretty mare.” He said to her and turned away from her. “Then again. This conversation is actually pointless.”

He saw Kelda and Faye look at him as Gnarl stared as well. “Master?” Gnarl voiced.

“It’s pointless to yell at a fake.” He voiced aloud.

He heard a slight gasp come from the mare behind him. “Sire, I am Juno.”

Azure looked over his shoulder, a rare smile on his lips. The changeling in Juno’s form shivered at the sight. “Welcome to the Dark Tower, changeling.” The mare’s eyes went comically wide as he spoke. “I’d applaud your efforts, but that would mean I didn’t know you were coming. I knew that your Queen would send one to replace that airhead eventually. Though I did not anticipate her making it so easy for me.”

Gnarl’s eyes went wide as he looked to the impostor. “So the mare the minions saw?”

“That was no doubt Juno being taken to their Hive. When you told me I already knew that I had a changeling in disguise with me. Though I might actually pity them for having to listen to her now.”

“How?” Faye asked him. “I cannot tell the difference between this one and the normal one. Aside from this one is quiet.”

“Quite the difference, no?” Azure replied to his second mistress. He paused before speaking about his own ability to see past the disguise and chose to keep that quiet for now. While they knew he didn’t want to risk the changeling knowing. “The minions are able to track and sense the presence of a Changeling. The blues are able to see through it due to their strong magical affinity. It allows them to hunt your kind easily.”

The changeling looked to the blues that were staring at it from several feet back. Azure looked to Kelda and Faye and shook his head. They gave a slight nod and kept his eyesight to themselves. Gnarl was already aware to keep his jaws closed about it. Faye looked to him as he stayed still for a moment, his gaze going back to the trapped changeling.

“I would advise against shapeshifting. My minions are able to see and track your kind so escape is impossible. But if you wish to cut your life short then feel free. I might give you a head start, just for a bit of sport.” Azure growled a malicious smile crossed his face.

The changeling shook its head and Azure waited for it to decide its next move. Its form erupted in green flame and a small drone was left in the place of the mare. Azure looked to the small creature and approached it. Kelda stood up as she watched him intently. Her face held concern as he stayed as close as he dared to the drone. It looked nervously from stallion to mare and back again.

“My queen will know if I do not report to her.” It hissed out.

Azure barked a laugh. “You think you would have been able to get into my realm with her appearance alone?” The drone looked concerned as it stared at him. “Juno could move to other locations but you are not her. Even then she was only permitted to go where I allowed. Your queen is not in those locations.”

“My queen can be anypony easily enough.” It began.

“Perhaps. But she cannot command the Netherworld or its army. Your Queen is less than I, and I am more than she will ever be. Let me guess her desire to have you gain entry to my home.” He began to circle the drone and the minions that stayed around it, their weapons primed. “Her first thought was to have me become her consort and then she gains my army.” The changeling stared, its eyes wide as he went on. “Or there was snapping off my horn to try to find out if she could use it. Or kill me and try to find a way to use my corpse to command my army. Did I miss anything?”

The bug-like creature stared, its eyes scanning around it. Its clear shock made him laugh lightly, his voice calm as he continued to circle it. “How?”

“Oh. That reminds me. The little Princess from Ponyville asked me to aid her in searching for a Changeling in Canterlot. That was how we learned of the minion’s ability to track your kind. That drone was caught by me and Twilight. It spilled its secrets after a bit of verbal torture and I was informed of her desire to command me through that. I was informed of her desire to use me or kill me and have planned accordingly since then. You walked right into a trap that was laid by me over time. I knew that you would not be able to use my form to gain access to my army or the Dark Tower so I allowed Juno to become an easier target. But that’s neither here nor there now.” He said to the creature.

“But how did you know what she had said?”

“Oh, that,” Azure said as he circled. While normally he spoke very little about what had happened to avoid being caught unawares, this was part of the plan to break the creature. “I was there when she explained it all.”

The drone’s eyes widened. “That’s not possible!”

“Is that because magic is negated in your Hive?” Azure cut in, earning him the widened eyes look of near terror from the drone. It shook its head and Azure chuckled. “Shall I prove it?”

The creature stared and slowly nodded in reply. “You could not have gotten into the Hive. Magic is useless there.”

“Let’s see. Oh. I found a chamber that held a clutch or two of egg pods.” The creature stared as he spoke. “I destroyed them, all of them. I trust that is enough to assure you of my claim?”

He watched as the drone went slightly limp, its legs beginning to shake. Its head drooped and its wings fell limply at its sides. It sat heavily and Azure could hear it breathing deeply. Azure stopped and watched as it shook. He wasn’t sure how it would normally act but the one that he had found himself in possession of was quiet and seemed easy enough to cow.

“I will let you choose your fate,” Azure spoke up, the drone looked up to him slowly. “You can do as I say and I will let you live. Or you can become my experiment.”

“Can I leave?” It asked.

Azure barked a laugh. “Surely you’re jesting? Your kind came after me. You stole one of my mistresses, admittedly you stole the one I do not care much about, but still. You stole from ME.” Azure's voice deepened on the last few words. “And you have the gall to ask for mercy?”

Kelda came to stand at his side and she nuzzled up against his neck. “What will you do with it, Love?”

“I am considering my options.” He said to her. “You have annoyed me bug. I have killed for less.” He said in reply to her and the drone. "Since you have upset me I will make the decision for you.”

Azure approached the changeling and his minions tightened their formation and several of them reached out to grip the thin, emaciated body. The drone screamed as the claws dug into his body and his fur, they held him still. He looked up as magic gathered in the Overlords horn. His aura shifted as he changed which spell he was going to use and the horn began to glow with a bright white light. The magic thrashed and churned on the curved horn. The changeling screamed as the magic was released and the drone was covered in the magic and held tightly in its grasp. Azure closed his eyes as he waited for the spell to give him some warning of when it needed to be released to avoid killing the drone. He wanted him to fall to the Overlords rule, not burn to ash. Azure held it and the spell shifted and the red stallion released the spell. The changelings head was down and Azure waited to see if it had worked.

“Master?” The drone called out gently, its voice a whisper.

Azure was quiet as the drone looked up to him, his eyes blank until they saw the red Unicorn. What could be described as joy went through its expression and it stared up at him? Next, to him, Kelda was quiet as she leaned against his shoulder. He glanced to Gnarl who approached as the minions backed up at his command. The Minion Master examined the drone and looked to the Overlord.

“Well done Master. The spell appears to have worked perfectly.” Gnarl praised.

“For now. We will keep hold of him just in case it wears off. I do not anticipate any issues but we will monitor it. I trust you have further questions about the Hive itself?”

“I do Master,” Gnarl confirmed.

“Then he is yours.” Azure reached out and gripped the drones jaw. “You will answer his questions as if they were my own.”

“At your command, Sire.” The drone replied.

Azure opened his mouth but the sound of scrabbling claws caught his attention. A minion came racing into the throne room and slid to a halt in front of the Overlord. He held out a letter and the red stallion took the letter into his magic and read it over.

SIRE, HELP!

Azure stared at the one word and then looked at the minion. “Where?”

“Nordberg!” It yelped back to him.

“Blazing Hells.” Azure cursed as he commanded the minions to his side, leaving a few to control the Changeling should his Evil Presence spell falter.

Azure went to the center of the room, as his magic placed his helm over his head, to allow Gnarl to see what was happening and commanded the Gate to take him to the Gate within Nordberg. The Gates magic crashed over him and he was greeted with the sound of screaming ponies as they ran in several directions all at once. Azure looked to the Minion Gates and he commanded the minions to his side. The minions screamed and leaped to his command. He commanded them forward as he swept the Browns forward to get to the backs of their war wolves. He looked to Wrath, who held onto his armor and he thought out a command to the minion. He had forgotten his sword and he commanded the minion to bring it to him. He paused at the sight of black smoke and the looked back to summon more of the reds and began to trot forward.

He could hear more screaming and he broke into a controlled gallop and he left the city through the open front gates. He looked to the sides and his ear flicked to the sound of laughter. The red stallion followed the sound and was greeted with a small group of what looked like tiny dragons. They were not as small as Twilight pet dragon, Spike but they were clearly not full grown. A red dragon looked to be the leader of the small rabble and Azure focused on him. He was close to Azure’s own height with a red coat of scales. He had a light yellow underbelly, with an orange set of spines along with his head and back. He sported a small set of wings that had a few holes in the membrane of the wing.

He leaned out a bit further to get a better look at the rest of the group. A large bellied brown dragon laughed as the red spoke. A set of round horns came from the top of his head and a small pair of wings on his back. His tail resembled a large mace and thudded against the ground as he spoke. Another was a purple with a pair of slim horns and hair that was a lighter shade of purple than his body. Azure could see a dark grey dragon that had a yellow underbelly and long horns that curved back at the top of the horn.

“Did you see those pansy pony’s run?” The red cackled.

“They were terrified!” The purple cried out as he bent over laughing.

“I didn’t know there were ponies in the forest. I wonder if there are more.” The brown asked as he looked a bit more thoughtful than the others.

Azure listened as the minions stayed behind him. He looked to the pen on the far side that housed the infant Ursa Minor and he was pleased to see that it had been left alone. He assumed that the dragons were not so foolish to mess with a being that was larger than they were. While he was pleased that the ponies appeared to not be harmed, just frightened he knew that if they got away with this once then they would again. If they chose to hunt his ponies then they would become the hunted.

“We need to make another pass, I saw a ton of houses to light on fire.” The red called out again.

Azure looked annoyed and stepped out from behind the stone wall. “I don’t think that is needed.”

The dragons looked to him and he took mote as they backed up a step at the heavily armored stallion that walked until he was ten feet from them. The red one stepped forward, puffing out his chest to appear larger and Azure simply stood tall, his horn making sure that he was taller than the young dragon.

“Who are you to say that we can’t?” The red crowed. “Some little pony can’t stop us.”

“Then it is a good thing I am not a ‘little’ pony.” He replied and the others snorted at the jab from the stallion. “You have frightened my ponies and I will not permit it to happen again.”

The red glared at the others as they finished chuckling and he turned to glare at the red stallion. “You may be my height but you’re still not going to stop us. Some pony can’t fight a dragon.”

“If I can fight an Ursa Major and win then I can fight you.” Azure pointed out. “You are small enough to give my army a workout but nothing more than that. I will give you the chance to leave and I will not pursue. If you insist on fighting me then I will break you like the little lizard you are.”

The reds eyes widened as the Overlord spoke. His eyes narrowed as anger went over his face. “I don’t need to leave here. You can’t stop me and what army? Your namby-pamby Princess can’t help you here…”

He stopped as Azure began to laugh. “I am not anyone’s subject, little lizard. I am an Overlord who has conquered more than my share of ponies and you are not any different. You are nothing before me.” Azure’s voice was steel as he spoke.

"That’s it. You’re going down. Just so you know who your fighting, I’m Garble.”

“Overlord Azure Flame.”

“You won’t be anything when I’m done. If I win you serve me, pony.” Garble snarled.

“And if I should win?” Azure replied.

“If you win ummm…We leave?” The brown asked.

“No,” Azure replied. “I win, you are mine to do with as I see fit.”

Garble looked uncertain for a moment as he looked at the stallion, his gaze steeled and he nodded. “Fine. No magic.”

Azure nodded. “Very well. No help from your fellow dragons.”

“And no help from any other ponies,” Garble said to him.

“Very well.” Azure agreed.

Garble took to the air as his fellows moved back to watch. Azure said nothing as he reached out to the minions and backed them up into the shade of the wall. He commanded the greens to scale the wall and wait for him to give them a command. He glanced up as they did as he ordered. He moved the reds into place ahead of the browns and blues to keep the flames back. The Browns moved back, pulling the long fir of their mounts to stay away from any errant flame.

Azure looked up as Garble flew low, his claws out and Azure ducked his head and the claws grated over the thick armor of his back. He bucked as the dragon passed over and his flank struck the dragon in the chest. He heard the dragon grunt at the impact and take to the air once more. Garble dove down at him and the stallion reared to meet him as the dragon breathed fire, Azure rolled to the side and avoided the force of the flame. He broke into a gallop to stay under the flying lizard. His hoof beats were like thunder against the dirt ground.

Azure looked to the minions as he passed by and saw Wrath standing with the others with his sword in his claws. The Overlord commanded him to remain with the others and he would call on the weapon when it suited him. He looked up as Garble dove to him once more. The stallion slid to a stop as Garble went past him and he brought his armored jaws down on the dragons back. Garble cried out and swung his tail at the stallion. Azure spun and kicked out with his hind legs. It had the desired effect of tossing the dragon away from him and keeping him on the ground. Azure shook his head to get rid of the ringing in his ears from the impact to his helm and he chased after the scrambling dragon.

Garble turned to face him and breathed deeply to send a blast of flame the stallion’s way. A breath of flame tore from the dragon’s jaws and Azure gigged to the side and dug his teeth into the dragons hide. He pulled back and the young dragon cried out as he was thrown off his feet once more and rolled across the ground. He got up and ran and took to the air once more. Azure stayed under him and waited for his next chance to attack. He watched as Garble began to circle wider, his body getting closer to the waiting green minions. Azure dug in and began to work on driving the inexperienced dragon closer to them.

Garble dove for him and Azure allowed him to think he was driving the stallion toward Nordberg’s stone walls. Azure slid to a stop and Garble banked to stay away from him. The Overlord looked up and issued the command for several of the green minions to leap and they landed on the dragons back. He watched as they drove their poisoned weapons into the dragon’s thick hide and then leaped off of him. Azure galloped under him and the minions fell to his back and held onto his armor. Garble cried out as his flight became erratic and he came to the ground and spun to roar at the armored stallion. Azure slid to a halt and reared, a challenge on his lips as he called back.

The greens stayed on his back as his hooves came back to earth, kicking up dust that slowly floated away from him. The red stallion watched as garble looked over his shoulder to see the wounds and the stallion charged him. The dragon tried to breathe in but found himself rolling back as Azure’s armored shoulder slammed into his chest and abdomen. The dragon panted and coughed as the wind had been knocked out of him. Azure chased after him, his armored hooves striking the dragon violently in the sides and back.

“Wait…” Garble cried out as Azure's hooves beat against him.

“I win?” Azure said and he slammed his hooves down one last time and left them in place.

“No. I just need a breather.” Garble replied.

“You need a breather?” Azure said to him and the dragon nodded. “There are no pauses in battle and there are no ‘breathers’ in war and you brought the war to my territory.”

Azure's hooves struck down once more and Garble tried to roll away from the stallion. The dragon cried out and finally got to his feet and had enough time to breathe fire at the stallion. Azure fled the heat and backed away. He sent the green minions away and sent them to join the other minions. Their position on the wall had been compromised. They joined the others and stayed behind the red minions. Garbles mouth closed and he spread his wings and a loud cry came from him as he tried to fly.

Azure could see that one of the greens had slashed the wings membrane and he waited for the dragon to react. Garble’s eyes were wised as he saw the badly damaged wing, his eyes narrowed in anger as he stared at the red stallion. He charged the stallion and Azure spun to avoid him as Garble reached out an arm and looped it around Azure’s hips and he drove them both to the ground. Azure kicked out and the dragon worked to try to straddle him to punch him. Azure rolled to the side and Garble stayed with him, dust kicking up as they grappled. If he had to admit Azure was not the best at unarmed combat, his strengths lay in his magic and sword work. He paused and allowed the dragon to get more of a height advantage on him. The dragon leaned his head down as his jaws opened, fire at the back of his throat.

Azure lunged toward him, head butting the dragon violently, and blood came from the dragons head as he reeled backward. Azure bucked him off and the dragon fell backward onto the dirt. Azure gave him another kick that tossed the dragon away from him another foot or so and got to his hooves. The dragon clutched his head and moaned in pain, his mind disoriented at the impact of Azure’s metal helm to his unprotected head. Azure stood over him and set his hoof on the dragons exposed throat.

“You have lost, little lizard.” Azure snarled.

“Not yet.” The brown dragon started forward, intent on the red stallion.

“He agreed to the terms. Unless you wish to wade into battle with me as well?” Azure replied.

The brown stopped and watched the red as he lay quietly on the ground. Azure could feel the blood going down his fur and it dripped past his eye. He ignored the blood and kept his focus on the dragons. Azure waited as they looked from one to the other and stayed back.

“You cheated.” The purple called out.

“Did I?” Azure asked.

“Yeah, those little things helped you.” He went on.

“He said no magic and no ponies could help me. They are not ponies nor are they my magic. I stayed within the rules set at the beginning. If you wish to fight for him then step forward. But his terms will not carry over. You wish to fight me and you will face me as I am normally. The choice is yours.” Azure replied smartly.

They said nothing in reply as Azure's horn lit with his red aura. They were quiet as he stared at them, his eyes blazing, and a challenge in his eyes. On the ground, Garble was beginning to recover and Azure kept an eye on him to avoid him trying to escape. Garble sat up and rubbed his head, wiping the blood out of his eyes.

“You could have killed me.” He snarled.

“As I said. You brought the war to my ponies and I will react to protect what is mine.” Azure replied. “Now if I recall we had a bargain.”

Garble stood up and looked to the red stallion. He walked a foot away, kicked a chunk of dirt at the stallion’s body, and then took off running. “Stupid pony, you can’t keep me! You really thought I would keep a bargain with one of you weak ponies? You can’t fight all of us.” He yelled back, his voice crackling with laughter. His friends fell in behind him, running versus flying, staying with him as they fled.

“That is what you think,” Azure said as his Gauntlet roared and the minions swarmed after the dragon, their orders clear. He brushed the dirt off his chest armor and watched.

Azure waited as a scream went out and he waited in silence for the minions to return with his new pet. The sound of battle caught his ears and he walked calmly toward the fight. He looked past the trees and he could see that the dragons were trying to carry Garble away from the minions. They held him tightly and the wolves had clamped their teeth around the dragon’s legs, tail, and wings. The brown one was trying to pull him into the air as the others were trying to beat off the minions. They paused as the Overlord caught up with them. The purple dragon was fighting off Wrath and a few more of the browns when he stilled as the ground shuddered with the Overlords steps.

“So you would go back on an agreement?”

“You can’t do anything to me. Your dumb princesses won’t uphold anything.” Garble snarled.

Azure sighed. “How many times must I mention this? I do not answer to anyone except myself. I am an Overlord and I do not bow to anypony, dragon, or god. You are beneath me and I will show you that fact now. I will show you how outclassed you truly are and were all along.”

Azure's horn lit with a bright white aura, it tore through the air and struck Garble. The dragon cried out and tried to pull away. The minions leaped onto him, driving him to the ground, allowing Azure’s Presence spell to be uninterrupted. The dragon’s eyes closed as he tried to fight the minions that pinned him down. The other dragons watched as Azure's spell gained in power and the light from it near blinding. Azure felt the magic warn him and he released the magic, completing the spell. The stallion stepped back a foot and waited as the spells light faded and Garble was still and silent. Garbles eyes opened and for a moment they were the same white as the spell. He looked up at the Overlord that towered over him.

“Sire?”

Azure smiled and looked to the others who wore faces of horror at what they had witnessed and were now hearing. The red stallion commanded the minions to get off the dragons back and allowed him to stand.

“Garble?” The purple called out, his voice barely more than a whisper.

The red dragon didn’t acknowledge them as they stared, waiting for a sign from him. Azure was quiet as they tried to call out to the young dragon.

“Kneel,” Azure said aloud silencing the remaining dragons.

Garble nodded and kneeled before the Overlord, his Lord, and Master. Azure watched as the others stared, horrified at the sight before them. The red dragon had been their leader, the one that led them forward and had often led them against those that stood against them. Azure watched as they blinked, confusion going through their eyes as Garble said nothing and waited for the armored stallion to command him. They shifted on their paws as they watched, their gaze was uncertain. The red stallion watched as they looked from the stallion to the bound red dragon. Their wings opened as they took to the air. Azure watched and looked at the dragon that now belonged to him, one that would fight to accomplish his will.

“Follow me little lizard.” He said aloud to the red dragon still kneeling before him.

“Of course, Lord,” Garble replied and rose to follow the Overlord.

Azure walked back toward Nordberg, his minions and the dragon on his heels. Wrath leaped to the stallions back, sitting in silence on his shoulder. He reached the gates and the ponies had gotten the fires under control and Azure reached out to the minions that had been stationed at the gates and they were sent to aid in the rebuilding and any repairs that were needed to be made to the walls and homes. Ponies approached him and screams sounded out at the sight of the dragon.

“Be silent.” He snarled.

The ponies went silent at his command and he moved among them, the dragon on his heels. Garble stayed behind him, the Overlords command was law and he followed it without question. Azure turned around and Garble went still at his unspoken command.

“Kneel,” Azure said to the dragon. Garble went to one knee and bowed his head low at the command from his Master. “As you can see I now command him, he is mine to command. You do not need to fear this creature now. He will do as he is commanded, as you do.”

“Master?” A pony came forward. “He is one of us now?”

“He is mine to command. I will keep him in line and he will not harm you. Continue to be loyal to me and he will protect you under my rule.” Azure replied to the pony who nodded.

The ponies smiled at him and nodded. Azure spun to leave the area. The Gate flexed in front of him and he sent the minions back through their own gates. Lightning crashed as he approached and the Overlord walked up to the steps, the dragon on his heels. He reached out and gripped the dragon’s scales and thought later brought him to the Dark Tower. Kelda turned to the Gate, her expression bright as she looked to him.

“My Lord! Your ba… What is that?” She asked at the sight of the dragon on his heels.

“This is the reason that I received a message from Nordberg. He and three other young dragons’ attacked the city. I challenged this one who led them to combat.”

“You won naturally,” Kelda replied to him as she came up to him and nuzzled his neck.

“Of course.” He assured her. “He lost and tried to flee despite the agreement. The minions detained him and I now have my slave.”

Kelda chuckled and nuzzled his neck, giving him a sharp nip to his lower jaw. He ran his head over her hair and kissed her neck, earning a moan from the mare. “So he is yours now?”

“Yes. It seems my spells will still work as they did before. We will watch him and the drone to ensure that it holds them.” He explained to her.

“Those that you have enslaved are free now though?” She replied.

“Yes. But their devotion remains. Perhaps extended exposure to my power will ensure that they remain mine. We shall see. Keep them under observation. I want the dragon in a cage that can withstand flame. Alert Giblet to use the reds to create the cage. That should ensure that the fires cannot harm it.”

“We will need to harvest some more essence Master,” Gnarl said to him and approached the Overlord with the drone on his heels.

“Understood. I will see what I can find in the Everfree around my kingdom. Otherwise, I will find a town that is on the edges of the map to harvest.” He replied to the Minion Master.

The minion bowed his head in agreement as Azure shook himself. “Shall we have your meal brought to your room Master?”

“Yeah. I need a bath after the fight with that child dragon.”

“It will be done, Master. What shall we do with Juno?”

“We will retrieve her eventually. For now, she can annoy them and we will plan what to do with the drone we have at our command.” Azure was quiet as a thought came to him. “Gnarl? Does my Presence spell remove the memories of the previous?”

“No Master. They are pushed back and replaced with your command. Why?” Gnarl replied, his expression questioning.

“I am thinking that the drone will need to check in at times. We need to be able to feed that Queen information to draw her out. So we will command the drone to act as it did before when interacting with her and then report back to me when released from her.” Azure explained. “If I had to guess they act under a hive mentality, similar to bees or ants. I will refresh my spell before we send him home and once he returns to avoid any confusion and loss of command.”

“Well thought out Master. That will ensure that she cannot regain control of the creature.” Gnarl agreed, his praise clear as Azure nodded.

“The last thing we need is it telling her what he knows. We need her to play by MY rules.” Azure replied.

“You need to relax a bit, Love,” Kelda said to him. He looked at her. “Even a mind like yours needs to let loose a bit.”

“Oh?”

“Yes. Send both our meals Gnarl?” She said to the Minion Master, who nodded. “Shall we?”

Azure nipped her neck and she bounced ahead of him. “Lets.” He replied and trialed after the mare, mounting the stairs with a jump to gain on the retreating mare.

Author's Note:

Sorry for the long delay. This one got dropped a bit. I made sure this was a bit longer than normal to make up for the delay. So we can see how things are progressing for Azure and his work in the shadows. He's not one to complain about long term plans since his plans ahead and makes sure that things are progressing as he needs them to. We start to see a bit of that as he brings a couple of new pets to bear. Thank you as always and Enjoy!