• Published 27th Nov 2017
  • 2,430 Views, 94 Comments

Our Daughter - lillytheomegawolf



Two families share one unexpected bundle of joy. As celebrities secrets are uncovered and relationships tested, none of the Wonderbolts or the mane six will ever be quite the same.

  • ...
4
 94
 2,430

CH19: Showtime

In the clean, white hospital room two tired parents were woken by their foals cry.

Spitfire moaned then lay back. “Make her stop...”

“I think she’s hungry,” Soarin commented as he tried to restore peace, gently rocking his daughter back and forth.

“Hungry?” Spitfire sat up.

“Yeah, maybe try nursing her.”

Spitfire blinked twice, then slowly it dawned on her and she nodded. “Oh... Right...”

The young mother took her distressed filly from Soarin and Scootaloo was quick to accept her first meal.

Green eyes followed the intimate act between mother and foal. He smiled tenderly. Their baby was absolutely precious.

“Don’t go getting any ideas,” Spitfire warned.

“What?” Soarin met his wife’s stern gaze.

Spitfire continued to give her spouse a dry look. “I see where you’re looking.”

Soarin drew his wife in for a winged hug. “Well yeah, our daughter looks so cute, I can’t take my eyes off her. Even when she’s having some milk from her amazing mother.”

Spitfire relaxed and snuggled back up to her husband. The room fell into peaceful silence. With a loud burp, Scootaloo announced she had finished and promptly settled down for sleep again.

Unable to believe the amazing tiny pegasus they had brought into the world, both teenage parents shared starry eyed looks.


In Twilight’s laboratory, several eyes watched with surprise as Soarin and Spitfire reached Scootaloo’s bedside.

The two Wonderbolts shared a look as they stood next to the bed their daughter lay on. Opposite them stood Twilight and Luna, the latter, horn aglow and eyes closed.

Twilight glanced down at the sleeping filly. “While this also requires the permission of Scootloo’s guardians, I first wanted to ask, do you both consent to the use of experimental magic to restore your daughter's flight?”

The Wonderbolt couple shared a look. Soarin shrugged. “Uh, if it’s Scootaloo’s best bet to fix her pegasus magic or whatever is wrong. Then sure...”

“Okay. Well... from my research, I think it’s possible to help Scootaloo by restoring her well of pegasus magic. I’m pretty sure it can be done, even if it was impaired since birth. However, it requires tapping into the magic well of her parents. Ideally both at once.”

Soarin glanced at his wife. The shocked yellow pegasus looked back, unable to believe her ears. “She can be fixed?”

Soarin smiled back. “I think that’s what she just said.”

Tears threatened to break free as Spitfire smiled. “How did we not try something crazy like this before?”

“I can’t promise the spells will work.” Twilight broke the pegasus couple’s conversation.

“But it might work?” Soarin was so eager, his wings rose and a goofy grin lit his face.

“Luna and I have tested the magic and it seems to function as it has been designed to.” Twilight’s measured response was guarded, almost as if she expected something to go wrong. “But we have never connected parents to their foals’ well of pegasus magic with the intent of repairing a broken well. It could have unexpected effects on you both.”

“I don’t care if I never get to fly again.” Soarin’s slow, thoughtful response was laden with love for his daughter. “But if it works, and Scootaloo can fly... I’ll be happy.”

“I want to see our daughter fly.” Spitfire added.”But please, be careful.”

The two doctors strode back to the small group and took up position at the head of the small bed. The blue unicorn spoke up, “Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash agree to the procedure. We are ready to assist you, Princess.”

“Thank you.” Twilight’s horn began to glow.

The pair of unicorns nodded and the bright glow of magic from several ponies lit the room.

Soarin braced himself as tendrils of purple magic entered his body. The sensation ticked and felt immensely weird. Just as he was about to relax into the feeling he felt his wings sag. What felt like a black hole appeared deep inside his being. A weight came crashing down on the stallion. Soarin’s attention was drawn to his wife as she gasped and hunkered down as if under a great weight. Yellow feathers touched blue as limp wings met on the floor.


Scootaloo found herself in a dark grassland. There was a faint purple glow across the sky and stars were peaking out from the canvas above. She could somewhat make out trees in the background. The rolling country hills made her think of the farmland near her friend, Applebloom’s home. This strange land was both surreal and relaxing at the same time.

To her surprise, two shapes began to materialize close by.

“The magical link is stable. Twilight, are you ready?” Luna’s voice startled Scootaloo.

“Wow... I was not expecting this...” Twilight gazed around.

Scootaloo stared at the two adults. “What are you two doing here? And where am I?”

“This...” Twilight paused to consider her next words “Is deep inside your mind.”

“Think of it like like a sort of dreamscape.” Princess Luna added softly.

“Oh, so I’m dreaming?” Scootaloo’s attention drifted to her bleak surroundings.

“You are asleep.” Princess Luna turned to Twilight, “how is the connection?”

Twilight’s horn glowed. After a few moments she smiled, “they match, just like you said.”

“Who match?” Scootaloo asked, confused.

Twilight smiled. “The ponies that make this whole operation possible.”

“So... who are they...?” Scootaloo wondered.

The purple princess merely smiled. “You’ll see.”

“Now relax.” Princess Luna spoke up. “I have located thy well of pegasus magic and am about to attempt something that will require considerable concentration.”

Twilight nodded, “Ready.”

Scootaloo took a deep breath and sat nervously on the soft grass. She felt a tug on something deep with herself. Something she had always assumed was normal, suddenly felt flat and shockingly empty. Luna’s horn flared and Scootaloo cried out in pain as pegasus magic swirled in blues and yellows into her small vessel.


Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash watched in awe as magical shapes formed around the six ponies who stood at Scootaloo’s bed. Large dark blue and purple squares solidified and then began to rotate around the seven. A dark circle formed on the floor around them and a mist began to spread outward. Thin strands of yellow and blue magic slipped out from Spitfire and Soarin’s chests and floated slowly toward their daughter. Scootaloo cried out in pain as the tendrils impacted her middle. Fluttershy whimpered. The tough blue mare was quick to hug her lover, nuzzling her softly as she continued to stare at the spectacle. Applebloom hugged her unconscious friend, worried.

Scootaloo’s faint orange magic mixed with that of her family. A thin orange trail connected with her parents. All the magical tendrils shook suddenly as a burst of magic from Twilight and Luna caused the rotating shapes to collapse in on the pegasus family. Scootaloo gasped. A forehoof stretched out as though she was reaching for something.

The ponies watching on held their breath, all eyes upon the filly on the bed as her hoof continued to reach upward, her eyes closed and wings loose.

With another burst of magic from the two princesses, the blue and yellow swirls seemed to quickly overpower the faint orange glow. The two parents sagged as though struck and Soarin collapsed into his wife’s side.

“Is... is it working?” Fluttershy wondered as she partially hid herself underneath Dash’s wing.


In the faintly lit mindscape of Scootaloo, the young filly found herself glued to the spot in the middle of a large dark blue and purple circle of magic. The once peaceful night landscape felt wired with unfamiliar and overpowering magic. Luna’s whole body was aglow as she continued to work. A beam of magic shot out from Twilght’s horn into the sky.

Scootaloo’s gaze followed the purple beam up till she saw a giant hole in the dark sky. A sunny glow peaked through the darkness but did not light the world below. Scootaloo watched, eyes wide as the forms of two pegasi darted across and vanished back into the dark beyond. Lingering in their places were sparkles of blue and yellow light. Scootaloo gasped, admiring the spectacle.

She found herself reaching out to the two very important souls who had graced the border of her mind. Somehow, she knew they were important. Their magic just felt right. It felt powerful. Like it was magic that should be inside her too.

She glanced at Twilight and noticed the alicorn looking at her, eyes aglow with magic.

Twilight gazed upward once more. “It is ready.”

With another burst of magic from Luna, Scootaloo found herself floating up, up, up. She reached out, hoping to touch the two ponies who had flown above the dark sky. Suddenly, Scootaloo realized that she had almost reached the lingering lights.

Something urged her onward and she gave her wings a flick. With a start, she realized their motion had carried her closer to the lights. With an excited whoop, Scootaloo flapped her wings hard and flew headlong into the welcoming magic. Excitement bubbled up within. Whoever these ponies were that left the sparkles behind for her, they were fast and they were family. She felt connected to them in spirit and magic. Despite the invasion of two minds and magic Scootaloo couldn’t help but smile. Whatever this was, it was making her feel amazing. Almost like she could do whatever she wanted, even flying.

Another blast of magic from the princesses below buffeted the filly. The family feeling magic that had taken up residence within began to settle. It overpowered her own meagre pegasus magic and flooded her mind. Her vision flashed sunny yellow and sky blue. The dark world around her was lit to near blinding levels that blasted through her raised hoof and hastily closed eyelids. Unable to take any more of the magical invasion, Scootaloo felt herself falling. The filly frantically flailed about with no feel for what was up or down. With a desperate cry for help, she blacked out, her mind and body unable to take anymore.

The last thing the young pegasus heard was some pony swearing in old equish and a tired male voice;

“Did it work? Spitty!”


A week after the birth of their foal, the new addition to the family was introduced to the floating home they shared. At the sight of the arriving family, Blackout and Fleetfoot rushed out to the porch to greet the trio. Both young pegasi wore warm smiles.

“This is Scootaloo.” Soarin declared with a tender smile as he touched down and indicated the foal wrapped up in his wife’s hooves.

Spitfire smiled tenderly at her baby.

“She’s cute. But how are you gonna hide her when we go for our showcase in two weeks time?” Blackout asked, a light grin on his face.

Spitfire shared a glance with Soarin. “His parents have kindly offered to take her in. As long as my body goes back to normal, I expect myself to keep up with you lot.”

“You’re gonna have to work had to make that new mom look go away...” Fleetfoot commented.

Spitfire levelled a warning glare in response.

“What, just saying, as your friend and team mate. It's kinda obvious right now and that's before I even look at the adorable foal you’re carrying.” Fleetfoot gave a flick of her mane as she slowly approached, her gaze on the baby.

“Do you think... uh, maybe I could hold her?” Blackout asked as he slowly approached.

Spitfire nodded, “sure. I guess I can trust you with our baby.”

“And what about me?” Silver Zoom’s voice was soft and careful as he stepped out onto the porch.

“After how well you’ve been leading the troops in my absence, and have kept out little secret. I trust you to hold our Scootaloo, although Blackout did ask first.” Spitfire smiled at the grey colt.

The black stallion carefully accepted the foal and a huge grin slipped out across his face as he beheld the precious young babe. “She’s... so tiny...”

“I know.” Soarin placed a wing tenderly across his mare’s back.

Silver Zoom watched on, “Ya know, I really didn’t think this was a good idea. But seeing you two’s daughter...”

“She is as beautiful as her mother, right?” Soarin eagerly responded, “and I can totally tell she will go on to do some amazing stuff.”

Silver Zoom rolled his eyes, “okay, now you really sound like a new dad.”

Fleetfoot giggled. “Where did Soarin go?”

A scowl ripped across Soarin’s face. “I’m right here.”

“But Soarin’s like cool, not all mushy over babies.” Fleetfoot grinned back.

The new dad daintily took Scootaloo back off Blackout with a thankful nod. “Well, maybe it’s because she's mine.”

Silver Zoom winced, “Oh... I think I can see a problem...”

“What problem?” Spitfire challenged.

“Well, you two had promised to give her up right? The way you're talking... I get the impression that will be real hard.” Silver Zoom lightly winced, as if expecting a strong retort.

Spitfire sighed. “Don’t remind me…”


Two weeks after the birth of their foal, Spitfire and Soarin returned to their school, ready to show their teachers just how much they had learned in their time away.

The school’s wide open playground and surrounding skies had been converted into a stadium for the end of year exams. Rows of clouds for observers to sit on lined the sides while pillars, hoops and other obstacles dotted the sky. There was a large collection of parents present, ready and waiting to watch the show.

The elite group of students led by Spitfire strode out onto the large pad on top of the classrooms. A collection of teachers and external advisors were present.

Soarin spotted one particular pegasus present in a blue flight suit and gave his wife a nudge. “Look Spitty.”

“Yes, I can see him. Now stop staring.”

Soarin huffed.

Blackout caught Soarin’s eye and grinned. “Dude, that is-”

“Alright quiet, I hope you five have a a plan to start our school showcase with a bang.” Mrs. Sweet's sharp tone made the group stand up straight, all banter forgotten.

“Yes, Mrs Sweets,” Spitfire replied dutifully.

“Glad to hear,” their teacher, Malestrom smiled. “And since you five are some of our best fliers, I thought it would be a great idea for you to lead off today's showcase.”

Spitfire glanced at her companions, “then I guess we’ll start this with a bang.”

Silver Zoom nodded, “Yeah, let's go.”

The young stallion took the lead and the five pegasi strode to the edge of the wide cloud.

Maelstrom strode to the left most edge of their large cloud. “Ready?”

The five pegasi couched, wings out.

A bang echoed from the opposite end of the stadium. Spitfire immediately leapt forward and shot out into the open air. Silver Zoom quickly pulled to the front of the unit and they took on a V formation. Spitfire and Soarin to the right, Blackout and Fleetfoot to the left.

The group flew a loop around the grounds before swooping toward the middle. They broke off the formation as they soared upward and each pony gracefully swirled around and around before reuniting near the low clouds. From there they shot off and took several hard turns around the obstacles loosely hanging around the course.

Upon completing the loose obstacle course, the group broke into two. Fleetfoot took the lead of her smaller group while Soarin led Spitfire away from their teammates. The two groups began to spiral as they flew over the heads of their classmates. Soarin and Spitfire kept an especially tight formation as they looped around. The light blue stallion was careful to maintain a slip stream for his wife to follow.

Although she was a capable flier and keen to show her best, Spitfire stayed nose to his tail. Mirroring the trio on the other side of the stadium, they shot through hoops, zig zagged around clouds then zoomed toward each other.

The five pegasi sped toward the center of the grounds, reuniting as a single unit once more.
Blackout and Soarin banked hard to avoid each other as they corrected course then sped off high into the skies above. As they reached the apex of their ascent, the group spaced out along a straight line and as one, plummeted back down toward the clouds below.

Spitfire found her body screaming at her to slow down as they cut their dive at the last moment and shot across the low clouds. Just before hitting the judges pad, they looped upward, breaking off into five faint trails of speeding pegasus. They all zoomed toward the wide open cloud and landed together.

Blackout and Spitfire both landed a bit hard but were quick to recover and stood tall alongside their teammates.

Cheers broke out from the ponies in the stands.

Their teacher smiled as he approached the recovering pegasi. “That was quite the performance. I’m surprised that Soarin led the duo.”

“I wanted him to.” Spitfire quickly replied.

“Yeah, hopefully I showed that I’m not just Spitfire’s second,” Soarin affirmed.

Their teacher cast a brief meaningful glance at Spitfire. “Fair. I have somepony who wants a word in private.”

“You mean, Fire Streak wants to see us?” Fleetfoot eagerly spoke up.

The pale firey grey stallion with a two toned orange mane leisurely sauntered over. “Got that right. Follow me.”

The five young pegasi shared brief looks. With a wild grin, Soarin was quick to lead the way off the rear of the platform.

The fiery young wonderbolt was quick to nip past the students and he took to the skies with a burst of speed.

Spitfire and Silver Zoom reacted quickly and led the party as they trailed the speeding pegasus. Fire Streak led the students in a quick loop of the school. He darted around classrooms, obstacle clouds and through hoops before finally landing on a cloud above the front gate. The five students were quick to join him, each carefully slowing their flight before elegantly landing on two nearby clouds.

Soarin gave the cloud he shared with Spitfire a quick shunt. The couple eagerly turned their attention to the young star who sat before them.

The Wonderbolt gave the split group of ponies a careful once over glance. “Interesting choice. You five like to partner off like this?”

“Yeah, this just sorted worked out best.” Silver Zoom replied as casually as possible. “Besides, Spitfire and I didn’t always get on at first.”

“But now?” Fire Streak asked.

“Oh, we’re fine now,” Spitfire spoke up.

“Glad to hear.” Fire Streak mused. “So... if I was to say... personally recommend you to my peers...”

“That would be super cool.” Fleetfoot grinned eagerly.

“Heh, yeah. The life of a professional athlete is a lot of work. I take it you all know we also function as a military unit and assist with natural disasters and the like.”

“You... don’t have to go and actually fight though, do you?” Blackout tentatively asked.

“Well, sure. I’ve been recently training with hoof and wing blades.” The firey stallion noticed the shocked expressions on the pegasi before him and chucked. “Heh, don’t worry. I haven't had to use any of that yet. We usually just help out when the weather goes a little whack or Cloudsdale runs out of snow. You know what, forget I said anything. I’m just filling in and may have forgotten the brief when Wind started yelling at me.”

“Right.” Spitfire nodded slowly. “So, you liked our showcase?”

“Oh yes. It really felt like a junior version of one of our smaller shows.” Fire Streak noticed the next group had lined up on the large cloud, ready for action.

“Anyway, I just wanted to tell you that from what I’ve observed, you five are recommended by me to apply for our official Wonderbolts tryouts and training early next year. I have especially high commendations for uh... two of you. But your performances at our tryouts will be the deciding factor. Now, I must get back to my post. It’s been great seeing your skills live!” With a flash of fiery orange, Fire Streak flipped off his cloud and sped back to the large platform at the end of the school’s stadium.

Spitfire hugged Soarin then sped off straight up into the skies. “We did it!”

Soarin grinned as he watched his teammates on their cloud also celebrating. Fleetfoot leapt across and gave the grinning stallion a quick hug.

“Come Soarin, gotta tell our parents!” Spitfire landed next to her husband and eagerly dragged him away.

Fleetfoot waved at the departing couple. “Hey, guys. Do you think they would let us stay in our cool house if we all get in?”

Blackout landed next to the grinning mare, “that would be a dream.”

Silver Zoom swooped over, “I agree. And a pretty cool dream at that. Now I don’t know about you two, but I’m going to follow those two.”

“Gotta brag to mommy?” Fleetfoot smirked.

Silver Zoom snorted, “I’ll sound cooler than your bragging.”

Blackout chucked as their friend and third teammate departed. “Is it just me or has he gotten way nicer?”

Fleetfoot nodded, “yeah. Let's go.”

“Race ya.” The black stallion crouched down, ready to fly.

The pale blue mare flicked her wings. “Three, two, one - go!”

The two teens shot off toward the clouds where their parents were seated, eager to share the good news.