• Published 27th Nov 2017
  • 2,417 Views, 92 Comments

Our Daughter - lillytheomegawolf



Two families share one unexpected bundle of joy. As celebrities secrets are uncovered and relationships tested, none of the Wonderbolts or the mane six will ever be quite the same.

  • ...
4
 92
 2,417

CH12: On the Pathway of Dreams (four & a half months pregnant)

On a cloud high above Canterlot, two middle aged pegasi were cuddled up as Celestia raised her sun above the skyline. The pale blue one stretched, yawned then snuggled back into his wife. The sunny yellow mare smiled as she shifted slightly on the soft white puff. The couple continued their quiet cuddles in the dawnlight. One would occasionally shift leading to the other seeking closer contact. Eventually, the call of the day grew to the point where neither could ignore the golden sun's might.

“I feel like I dreamed of our daughter last night...” Spitfire mumbled as she rose slowly.

“Yeah...” Soarin agreed. “It was like we got to play with her and then cuddle her. It was weird, but cool. D-do you remember what she looked like?”

Spitfire shook her head slowly, “na. She was all shadowy. I think I may have caught hints of her colours but no more than that. You?”

“Same... I think I saw her mane shine purple in the moonlight for a moment...” Soarin mused slowly.

The sunny mare perked up at this. “You think that might have been Princess Luna’s work? I hear she has freaky powers over dreams.”

Soarin rose, pecked his wife on the snout then shrugged. “Dunno... I might have kinda asked her to though.”

Spitfire stared at her husband in shock for a few moments. “What?”

“Yeah, remember... we talk sometimes about meeting Scootaloo but we can’t find her... so I figured... uh, yeah. I asked Luna... she said she might be able to help and she did.”

Spitfire smiled as she relaxed. “I’m glad you asked. We need to thank her sometime. Our daughter was really full of life. Feels like she's a young athlete. Maybe you might even lose your job to her.”

Stark horror sank upon Soarin’s face. “No...” 



Spitfire rolled over then again onto her back. With her tummy and legs facing her husband, she curled up almost like a cat, presenting her sunny tummy. “You don’t think she’ll be faster than you when she grows up?”

“Well, she might be.” Soarin carefully thought for a moment, “but... I know how to make her replace you and not me.”

Spitfire’s grin became coy, “what do you propose, oh husband?”


“Get you pregnant again,” a predatory smirk crossed Soarin’s muzzle as he stalked toward his cute wife, all laid out in front of him. She was perfect...

Spitfire relaxed, open, inviting. “Dear husband, are you seriously considering a foal now?”

“What if I am?”

Spitfire chucked. “I can still boss you lot around with a foal.”

“Oh really, my dear wife? Are you sure of that?” Soarin’s wings shot up in full display.

Spitfire continued to smirk back at her long time best friend and lover. “How about I see some action and we find out?”


“Mom..?” Scootaloo mumbled softly as she stretched in bed and shoved her purple mane out of her vision. 

No. Neither of her foster mothers had slept cuddled up to her. 

Strange... it had felt so real.

Then it hit her. Her date with Rumble was today!

A date.

The sound of hooves on floorboards caused the young filly to roll over and face the door to her small room. The motherly figure of Fluttershy appeared in the doorway and Scootaloo couldn't help but smile back.

“Good morning, Scootaloo. Did you have a good night's sleep?”

The filly nodded, “yeah. It was kinda weird though.”

Concern rippled across the yellow mare’s face. “Weird? You know that if you ever have a scary dream-”

“It wasn’t like that!” Scootaloo half rose, tangled in bedsheets, frantic to dispel her mother’s low key panic.

Fluttershy slowly approached the bedside and waited patiently for her adopted daughter to continue.

Scootaloo felt tingles race down her back as Fluttershy ran a hoof gently through her mane. “It was like... I think I dreamed of my parents. My real parents.”

The young filly was quick to spot the smile. Fluttershy glanced up at Cloudsdale, “that sounds like a wonderful dream.”

“Yeah. It was weird though. It was like they were really there. Reaching out to me from their dream to mine.” Scootaloo gazed hopefully up at her mother figure, “Do- do you think we might ever find my mom and dad? I- I know they left me. And you and Dash are super cool. But...”

“It would be nice to know who they are and why they left you?” Fluttershy offered softly.

Scootaloo nodded briskly.

“I could ask around.”



Scootaloo and Fluttershy turned to the doorway where the mare who had spoken stood.

“Y-you could?” Scootaloo rose hopefully.

Rainbow Dash nodded, trotted over to the pair then scooped the filly up. “If that’s what you really want.”

Scootaloo sighed and turned her vision to the window. The outside world looked vibrant and inviting. A fresh new day. Out there somewhere were her parents. “I’ve wondered for years who they might be. But now you two are my parents... and as much as I wanna know who my birth mom and dad are... I don’t wanna lose you two.”

“Just because you find out who your birth parents are doesn’t mean you must live with them. You can still live with us... if you want to.” Fluttershy replied tentatively.

Still holding Scootaloo with her forehooves, Rainbow Dash placed a supportive wing across her mare’s back. “Yeah. You’re a cool daughter and I don’t wanna give you up either, even if we find the uncool ponies who ditched you.”

Scootaloo grinned at the mares who she now had the privilege to call her own family. “Thanks.”

“I’ll make us all breakfast.” Fluttershy offered. “You need all the energy you can get for your date.”

Scootaloo blushed. “Yeah...”



Fluttershy cooed softly at the sight of her adopted daughter trying to hide tinted orange cheeks in Dash’s coat. After a few moments enjoying the cute sight the yellow pegasus vacated the room.

Rainbow Dash rolled her eyes. “Come on. Let’s go. That’s enough cute and cuddly for the day.”

Scootaloo giggled. “Does that mean you used up all your time with Fluttershy already?”

The polychromatic mare snorted. “She doesn’t count. Just like I’m sure Rumble won’t either.”

The younger pegasus blushed, “Hey, Rumble and I are still like, friends. I think. We’re just trying this date thing. Whatever.” Scootaloo leapt out of the blue forelegs that held her and landed poised and ready on the wooden floor.

Rainbow Dash grinned, “I don’t mind what you do. Long as you two are awesome and cool to each other..”

A smirk crept across the blushing face of the orange filly, “yeah. He’s cool.”

“Good. Now let’s go get some food.”

“Okay!”

With that, Rainbow Dash trotted out of the bedroom, her foster daughter hot on her heels.


Eight o’clock in the morning and Cloudsdale central school had just opened for teachers along with the few students who desired an early start before class.

Soarin met Mrs. Sweets as she was about to open her office door. The teenaged colt yawned. Curse early mornings, especially after enjoyable late nights. “Hi Mrs.”

The snowy middle aged mare entered her office without a backward glance. “Enter.”

The light blue pegasus was quick to obey. He placed a letter on the desk in front of his superior and straightened. “All signed and stuff. That- means I’m in, right?”

“You are the second one to confirm. I don’t think I’ve ever seen you at school this early.” An amused gin slipped out across the white mare’s face.

Soarin squirmed in the hot seat. “Uh, yeah. Well, you know Spitty and I are together right?”

“Married yes,” Mrs. Sweets nodded slowly.

“So, why didn’t you put me as one of the first three, given priority to enter?”

A chuckle escaped the headmare as she settled back in her seat. “Well that one there is easy. I didn’t wish to give any connection between the two of you.”

“Oh, okay,” Soarin nodded. That made sense.

The powerful white mare lent toward the young stallion. “You are also not ranked in the top three of your class. You did not deserve a confirmed place in this elite course.”

A scowl erupted across the colt's face. Ouch.

Mrs. Sweets shuffled a few papers with well practiced precision, her gaze no longer upon the youngster. “I was not sure you even deserved a place. But your teacher insisted... so here we are.”

The stern snowy mare levelled an unimpressed stare at the colt. “Besides. Your actions forced me to finalize a course I had been working on as a background project for three years now. I’m still awaiting confirmation from Princess Celestia to make this addition to the school’s offering legally a part of our system.”

“Oh...”

A knock rang out. Two heads turned toward the door. Soarin grinned.



“Enter,” Mrs. Sweets announced. “Glad to see the troublesome filly herself.”

Spitfire shrank a little under the gaze of the headmare. She hurried to her husband’s side and tentatively drew close. The fiery filly reached into her saddlebag and pulled out two papers. “Here you go Mrs. My dad’s confirmation and our marriage certificate, just so you know I was telling the truth.”

The headmare gathered the papers and read the marriage license with great interest. Once finished she passed it back and checked the young mare’s confirmation letter. She gave a nod. “All in order, thank you. I appreciate you sharing the license with me too. I suppose congratulations are in order.”

“Thanks,” Soarin replied, surprised by the softer tone the naturally cold pegasus used.

“Even though the date of the wedding makes it appear to be in reaction to your little surprise.” The snowy mare turned her gaze to Spitfire.

Spitfire stood, a nervous blush upon her muzzle. A white hoof rose and she plonked herself back down. Headmare Sweets cleared her throat, “before you go, I wish to add a little something. Since your parents pay a decent sum of bits for your attendance here, it has been decided that you will be allowed a set amount of bits each week to assist with living expenses. Providing you pass the by-weekly challenges with flying colours, we will gladly look after you the best we can.”

The white mare turned to the yellow filly; “Spitfire, today is your last day here. Take Thursday and Friday off. I have a few things I wish you to accomplish in Cloudsdale. You will be joined by your peers and husband on Monday. Soarin, no slacking while your missus is not at school.”

“Okay,” Soarin shrugged. The instructions sounded fine to him.

“What do I need to do over there?” Spitfire wondered aloud.

A white hoof pulled out a few papers and slid them toward the nervous filly. “This should start you off. On Monday you will meet your peers in Ponyville, a nearby town to start the special course as a group.”

“Oh, okay.” Spitfire cast her colt a nervous glance.

Canterlot, the capital of Equestria. That sounded like a major trip by itself. The thought of going alone filled Spitfire with a sinking feeling but the young mare fought the sensation off. She would be fine. She gave the papers a quick scan.

Attempt to authorize the program. Easy. 
Possibly meeting Celestia?
The princess?
Me???

Spitfire glanced up at the stone faced mare before her.

“Well go on. Go and enjoy the skies or something. I have work to do.” Headmare Sweets turned from the couple and fished out several forms.

“Yes, Mrs.” Spitfire hastily rose with her colt and left the room.

The young couple spotted Fleetfoot and High Winds strolling down the hallway headed for the headmare’s door.

Soarin immediately perked up and rushed over to his friends. “We’re in!”

“Good on you,” Fleetfoot replied cheerily. “Just let me enter too then I’ll join you both outside.”

“Okay,” Spitfire agreed. “Hey Soar.”

“Yeah?” Soarin grinned at his wife as they continued along the plain cloud hallways.

“The headmare appears to have set me up to visit the princess and petition her to hurry the course up.”

“Cool!”

The vibrant young mare shot her husband a dark look. “Why would she even talk to a filly like me? What am I supposed to say?”

“I dunno...” The colt shrugged as he strode out into the warm rays of Celestia’s sun. “But I’m sure somepony as cool as you could think of something. Besides... Who knows, you might not need to meet the princess.”

“Gee... thanks.”

Soarin grinned at his wife, enjoying the sight of her mane sparkling in the sun. “You’re welcome. Wanna find a cloud to cuddle on while we wait for those other two?”

The young mare rounded on her spouse, “you know we’re at school. Right?”

A light blue hoof scuffed the cloud, “I don’t see anypony around... and it’s crazy early... plus, Fleet and High Winds will be out in a minute.”

“Still, I’m not risking it.” Spitfire replied resolutely as she sat to the left of the door, waiting for two ponies to emerge.

“So....”

Spitfire carefully eyed her hopeful husband, “so why don’t you go and find a cloud to lean on and I’ll check you out.”

“But what happens if I wanna check you out too?” Soarin pouted.

“You’re not subtle. No checking me out at school remember?”

“Yes madam,” Soarin cheekily saluted. He sauntered over to a section of the admin building’s wall further off to the left, sat down and lent against it.

Spitfire grinned, pleased by the sight.

Green eyes scanned the surroundings. With no other pegasi nearby Soarin slouched a bit. “Like what you see?”

“I liked it better when the stud wasn’t slouching,” Spitfire replied coolly.

“What stud?”

Spitfire leapt in shock and spun around to face High Winds who stood smirking in the doorway.

Soarin stood up straighter, “this one.”

Fleetfoot rolled her eyes. “I don’t see the hot pony you’re talking about. I only see Soarin.”

The lone colt pouted, “just because you can’t spot a good looking colt when you see one doesn’t mean he’s not hot, right Spitfire?”

“Who are we talking about?” Spitfire smirked back.

The light grey face of High Winds split into a cheeky grin. “Ooh, maybe we’re talking about Fleetfoot, are we talking about Fleetfoot?”

Light arctic blue met grey as Fleetfoot hoof bumped her companion, “I don’t mind talking about me. Hey, that’s a great idea, everypony talk about me!”

“And how good looking you are.” High Winds added with a smirk.

Soarin rolled his eyes, “get a room fillies.”

“You’re one to talk,” Pink eyes glinted as Fleetfoot pointedly eyed the colt who continued to chill against the wall of the admin building. “And what is it with you dumb colts and leaning against stuff?”

“It’s cool.” Soarin’s gaze lingered on his spouse, hopeful for her support.

The young mare hesitated a moment, “I always think you’re cool.”

A grin split the light blue muzzle in two. “How about we go flying and I show you a thing or two?”

“You, show me?” Spitfire playfully shot back.

“I bet he’s shown you plenty of things before. Right?” Fleetfoot grinned suggestively.

High Winds suppressed a giggle, “don’t be rude.”

“That’s not being rude. Talking about what goes on, on lone clouds... That can be ri-dick-ulusly dirty. Like an earth pony in the mud.” Fleetfoot winked back.

“If anypony wants me, I’ll be on the flight course.” Soarin pointedly took to the skies with a twirl.

Spitfire shook her head, shot her cheeky friend a dry look then raced off after her husband.

“That was funny, right?” Fleetfoot turned to her only remaining companion who shrugged.

The tips of a smile tugged at High Winds muzzle as she replied softly: “I mean, it was. But sometimes I wonder about that mind of yours.”

“My mind is fine.” Fleetfoot held herself high.

“Well, as your date tonight, I don’t want to be constantly dragging your mind out of the sewers and back into the skies.”

Fleetfoot grinned back, “but that’s where it's the most fun!”

A light grey wing playfully slapped the cheeky pegasus. High Winds gracefully took to the skies, promptly joined by her best friend.


Night fell on Princess Twilight Sparkle’s castle just in time for a blue mare with a rainbow mane to crash through the door to the large dining room. Twilight Sparkle, Rarity, Applejack and Pinkie Pie paused their conversation around the long dinner table.

“Hi girls, sorry we’re late.” Rainbow Dash was quick to find her seat. The speedster grinned down at the meal before her.

“Hello, Dash. Did you leave your girlfriend behind?” Rarity asked.

“No.” The soft voice was quickly followed by the yellow pegasus herself. “But somepony wanted to make an entrance.”

“So I did,” Dash added with a smirk as she sat back in her seat and snatched up a quick bite.

Fluttershy took her seat beside her partner, “sorry we are late. Dashie and I had to drop Scootaloo off first.”

“For her date?” Rarity asked.

“Yep. Date number two. Those two really seem to hit it off.”

“Just like Button Mash and Sweetie,” Rarity added with a rather pleased smile.

“Are those two dating?” Fluttershy turned to the alabaster unicorn in surprise.

“Oh no, of course not. But I have seen the way she looks at him.” Rarity’s expression turned far off, as though imagining some creature who looked at her like that.

“I could plan them a super duper party?” Pinkie Pie was quick to offer.

Rarity faced the eager pink pony. “It might be best to wait until they are officially together, dear.”

“Yeah yeah. Enough with the lovey dovey stuff. Or I’ll need to leave the room.” Rainbow Dash cut in.

“You’re one to talk, dear,” Rarity replied with a bit of snark in her tone. “You can be absolutely precious when you think you’re alone with Fluttershy.”

The blue pegasus flushed red and glared at the fashionista. “Hey, just because I may or may not be doing something with my pal Fluttershy does not mean other ponies need to know. I have a reputation to uphold.”

Applejack snorted. “Being cool and tough doesn't mean ya can’t be sweet too.”

“Whatever...” Dash snatched up some lettuce and tore into it like a hungry beast.

Fluttershy neatly placed some hay and tomato slices in on her own lettuce leaf then daintily took a bite.

Rainbow Dash stuffed the rest of the tomato her fillyfriend had used into her own mouth. 


The other girls took a few bites of the shared meal as silence fell upon the group for a few moments.

Twilight finished her mouthful and washed it down with some water. “Has Scootaloo shown any progress?”

Rainbow Dash shook her head, “She’s made some progress, but I dunno. Have you found anything that might help her?”

“Luna and I may have found something, yes.”

“You told the princess?” Rainbow Dash stared back at the young alicorn in shock.

“Well, we are kind of dating and she does make an excellent study partner. So yes... I did.” Twilight twiddled her hooves, playing with her food nervously.

“What did you two find?” Fluttershy inquired softly.

“As of this day, scant information.” A shadow stretched out from an open door behind the young alicorn. From the backlit hallway stepped the princess of the night herself. “And where is young Scootaloo?”

The two pegasi shared a glance before Fluttershy replied to the dark alicorn, “off on a date. She has a little admirer.”

“How sweet.” Luna smiled blissfully as she took her seat beside Twilight and offered a quick nuzzle. “When next I am in Ponyville I would very much like to meet Scootaloo. With her permission, Twilight and I would like to test her wings magically.”

“Is it safe?” Rainbow Dash cautiously asked.

“Yes.” Twilight was quick to reply. “We can’t promise anything, but it may tell us if we can help or not.”

“I’m sure Scootaloo would like that, thank you,” Fluttershy replied with a thankful, delighted smile.

“Scootaloo also asked me to look for her parents.” Rainbow Dash said as she took another bite to eat.

Luna tensed at the mention of the youngsters' parents. Twilight noticed and glanced at her marefriend. “What, Luna?”

The dark mare hesitated, feeling the gazes of all in the room upon her she took a deep breath. “I may have connected Scootaloo with her real parents a week ago.”

Fluttershy perked up, “Scootaloo did tell Rainbow Dash and I that she felt like her parents met her in a dream.”

“Do you know who they are?” Rainbow Dash asked, keen for an easy answer.

“A light blue stallion with a dark blue mane approached me and asked that I find Scootaloo. He asked that I connect his wife and himself with her in the dream realm... if it were possible.”



“It is?” Rarity asked, intrigued.

Luna nodded slowly. “Although I only ever condone connecting members of one's family. Or lovers.”

Sensing a wonderful learning opportunity, Twilight excitedly turned to her mare. “Can you show me how you did it?”

“Later my love.” Luna placed a kiss on the excited mare’s purple snout then turned back to the rest of the group.

“Does that mean you know their names?” Dash eagerly asked.

Luna shook her head, “nay. My sister is the master of remembering ponies names. Theirs... I cannot remember at this time. But the stallion’s wife was called something about fire. I think he was soaring... I think... something.”



Twilight giggled. “And there I thought your memory was amazing.” 



Luna shrugged, “tis for many things. Not names.”

Rainbow Dash slouched and continued to feed her own face. “Soaring..? Did he have a second part to his name or something? Like Soaring skies or Soaring thunder or... uh...”

“Tis all I can recall at this time. If I remember, I can inform you.” Luna replied softly.

“At least it’s a start, right Dash?” Fluttershy offered hopefully.

Rainbow Dash nodded as she continued to eat thoughtfully. “You don’t happen to know any pegasi like that, do you Pinkie?”

“Well...” The pink mare scrunched up her muzzle in thought. “Hmmm... Nope! Oh! I know! I can help you ask around!”

The side door to the dining room opened and in toddled Spike with a bowl of gems, “hey everypony.”

The young drake paused, “did I miss something?”



Rarity eyed the gems. “Scootaloo wants to meet her biological parents and Luna may have connected her with them in a dream recently. But she can’t remember their names.”

“Oh. Wow, well I hope it goes well. I can kinda understand her wanting to know more. Although I've settled for my pony family.” Spike hurried over to sit content, between Rarity and Twilight.


“I’m sorry, but this application can not be hurried along by some young mare and her petition.”



A firey pegasus in her late teens growled softly as the proud pale white unicorn brushed away the papers she had presented to him. Spitfire was standing in the royal palace, seeking assistance and finding none. This particular room consisted of several booths along one wall. Unicorns sat comfortably in said booths, read to be of service to those seeking help with legal matters of importance. At this time, late in the morning, there was already a queue behind the young mare that led halfway down the room toward the door. 

After a solid moment’s gawping, Spitfire scowled back. “But this official... from Cloudsdale-”

“We are already processing the headmare’s request. We shall inform the school of our decision in due course.”

Spitfire scowled. Why was she required if they were already processing the course? “Will you at least read what I’ve put in front of you?”

The unicorn glanced at the papers. “These will be passed onto the correct pony to review.”

Spitfire sighed, “can I talk to that pony then?”

“Your request is declined, I’m sorry.”

Spitfire scowled at the stallion. He blinked passively back.

“Is everything alright, Silverquill?”

“Princess?” The off-white stallion span around to face the royal mare. He took a swift bow, “everything is fine. This young filly was just leaving.”

“No I wasn’t,” Spitfire shot back. 

Princess Celestia gazed with interest at the young mare. Spitfire recoiled then hurriedly stopped into a low bow, joining the rest of the room on their knees. “Sorry... I-”

“My little pony, why are you here?” The serene princess asked softly.

“To ask permission for a new course at Cloudsdale’s advanced flight school.”

“As far as I know, that application is being processed, is it not?” Celestia replied thoughtfully.

“Correct, your majesty. It should be processed sometime within the next three months.” Silverquill was quick to respond.

Celestia nodded, “then there is no problem, is there?”

Spitfire tentatively glanced up at the intimidating alicorn. Spitfire's mind noted that those white wings were probably longer than her whole own body, “I have been sent to humbly ask if you would grant permission for a group of students, myself included to try out this program starting next week.”

That heightened the princess's interest. She levitated the papers close and after a quick once over of the front sheet, the princess returned her attention to the nervous yellow filly. “Please follow me.”

Spitfire’s wings shot out in shock, “m-me?”

“Indeed.” Celestia smiled. “What is your name, child?”

“S-Spitfire, your majesty.”

“A lively name for a lively young mare.” The serene alicorn turned and strode off.

Spitfire hurried to follow, careful to shoot a smirk at the unicorn who had hampered her.

Most of the ponies in the room joined the shocked stallion in gawping at the pair as they exited.

As Spitfire kept pace with the royal mare, Princess Celestia carefully read over the paperwork.
Yellow wings twitched with poorly concealed nerves. What if the princess turned her down? What if-

“I see nothing wrong with this request. However, I must ask.” Princess Celestia came to a stop in the middle of the palace hallway.

“What?” Spitfire tentatively replied as she froze several paces away from the large alicorn.

“What has caused the sudden need for this course to be official now? And why did Mrs Sweets send you?”

“I- I... I don’t know...” Spitfire submissively replied. Her wings drew tight to her barrel.

“I heard you were the best in your class.” 



Spitfire’s coat bristled with shock. “Y-you did?” 



Celestia nodded. “Yes. But I feel that there is more to this request than meets the eye. Such as your marital status.”

Spitfire's wings shot out and she froze.

Celestia strode to the window and looked out over the castle garden. “It is a wonderful feeling to find love at any age. Treasure it.”



“Y-you’re okay with my husband and I... you know... on this program?”

Celestia smiled encouragingly back. “I think that is wonderful.”

“E-even if we need the time away from school to uh...”

The princess nodded, “it is most noble to keep a life, even if they were conceived by accident. Do you love him?”



“With all my heart,” Spitfire replied wistfully, her gaze far away, longing for the colt she so loved.

Celestia summoned a quill and carefully wrote something onto the last sheet of paper. “For your honesty, I give this course full official status as of now. Besides, it’s a good course, I trust that you will succeed.”

The princess levitated the papers back to the shocked young pegasus. “T-thank you.”


It was lunchtime at Cloudsdale’s advanced flight school. A trio of pegasi in their late teens sat on one of the high clouds that overlooked the school's flight courses. At the opposite end of the large flight zone, the trio could see the headmare’s office. The white pegasus inside was busy at her desk.


Soarin turned to the two young mares at his side. The light grey filly with a dark blue/grey mane called High Winds chilled, her forehooves dangling over the edge of the cloud as she watched those below play and enjoy their lunches. The arctic blue pegasus met the colt’s gaze as she finished wolfing down her meal.

“Why does school feel so slow today...?” Soarin bemoaned.

“Missing your mare?” High Winds asked casually as she took a bite of her meal. 



The young stallion nodded. “Have you heard who got picked for this adventure?”

“Well,” Fleetfoot stuffed her lunchbox into her saddlebag. “I think I was fourth to hand in my letter. Blackout’s parents were concerned about his course work but I think they let him in. Apparently, he met the boss at the gate. Then I think I saw Silver Zoom heading to Mrs. Icyflank’s office after our morning class. But if he was after you and Blackout then he might not be in.”

High Winds piped up: “I don’t think Fire Storm or Razor Wing got permission.”

“Oh, do you think that’s why Fire was looking kinda bummed this morning?” The young stallion asked.

Fleetfoot shrugged, “why else? He’s like top on the racetrack and second in show talent to Spitfire.”

The trio sat in comfortable silence for another few moments till Fleetfoot rose, “hey, think you can trust those two with your secret?”

The pale blue colt shrugged, “dunno. Guess we have to, right?”

Fleetfoot grinned cheekily, “well we can always hope they bail after a few weeks and leave just us three to enjoy the trials.”

Soarin grinned as he rose to stand beside his friend, “yeah. That could be a lot of fun if it ends up, just us three. Maybe we could even ask if High Winds can join after they all leave?”

“Aww, guys... I’m not that good.” The light grey teen bashfully responded.

Fleetfoot gave her friend a light hug. “Of course you are. I just think Mrs. Icyflank doesn’t want two couples on the trip.”

Soarin grinned at that, “but that could be so much fun... we could organize a whole lot of doubles tricks.”

“Which would leave the fifth pony out, if we ever got one.” High Winds pointed out softly.

Soarin shrugged. “Would still be cool, right?”

“Of course, you and Spitfire are always fun to fly with,” confirmed the light grey mare.

“Hey, ya wanna take another run of the main course?” Offered Fleetfoot.

“But we just ate.” Soarin pointed out. “And I always need some time after pie.”

“You and your pie.” Fleetfoot gave the colt a playful shove.

High Winds spoke up; “I have no idea how you are gonna survive without the local bakery when we leave Cloudsdale.”

“I don’t know how that bakery will survive without him,” Fleetfoot remarked snidely.

“Maybe you could learn how to make them for me.” Soarin cheekily offered.

High Winds scoffed, “She's not your misses. Ask Spitfire, or better yet... didn't you work in a bakery?”

“After one uh... little incident they didn’t wanna let me bake. I mostly served other ponies.” The admittance left the two fillies with a clear mixture of concern and shock. Soarin couldn’t help but grin at their responses.

Fleetfoot directed a pointed look at the colt by her side, “and drooled over their baked goods?”

Soarin fluffed his wings in embarrassment. “No.”

“Yes, you do too! You were doing it when Spitfire and I stopped by that morning recently, remember?!” Fleetfoot almost exploded with mirth.

The young stallion shot the grinning shark of a pony by his side a pointed look. “I’m going for a glide.”

“I’m only coming if we get a run of the main course before class.” High Winds piped up.

The light blue colt pulled off a flip then hovered a few pony lengths away. “Na. I’ll let you two enjoy that. I’m cruising on a full tummy of pie.”



Nighttime in Canterlot was a vibrant, lively affair.

Spitfire wandered through a busy street in the large city, hopelessly lost. She was supposed to find a place to stay for the few nights she was here. Yet she felt no closer to success than when she started two hours ago. Now that night had just fallen, her already poor sense of direction had worsened. Every street felt like the last and her head was beginning to spin. The young mare turned into a less busy street and continued to wander, her gaze upon the various buildings of businesses that were empty at this time of the evening. Somewhere there had to be a hotel of some kind that was not fully booked. Or any place to stay really...
Spitfire sighed.

“Hey,” a large red pegasus stallion alighted right next to the vibrant young mare. She instinctively gave him a wide berth. Something about him just felt... off. The young mare was suddenly very aware of how empty this particular stretch of road was.

The stallion stepped closer, right back into her personal space. Spitfire shot him a dark look to try and make him get lost.

The red pegasus grinned as his eyes wandered along her body, it made her feel dirty somehow. “You look like you could use a little help. I could offer you a place to stay in exchange for certain services.”

“No. Thank you.” Spitfire shot back. The young mare took up a brisk stride to try and put on a bit of distance between herself and the unwanted stallion.

“Come on, you don’t gotta be like that. I-”

“Not. Interested. Now get lost.”

“Or what?” The stallion towered over Spitfire. “You look like a fun young mare. I’m offering you a fun night.”

The hair on the back of her neck stood up and she took off like a rocket down the street then into the sky. The cries of disturbed ponies carried across the evening air but Spitfire paid them no heed. She had to get away. This was all a mistake. Or some kind of punishment.

Something slammed into Spitfire and ripped her out of the sky. She lashed out and her right forehoof collided with a light blue muzzle.

“Ow! Spitty!”

She was being carried by a strong pair of light blue forehooves. Her husband had found her! 

Relief flooded Spitfire’s system and she collapsed, quaking into her husband’s hold. “Oh thank goodness! This city is huge... I got lost... It’s- it’s-”

“Hush...” Soarin gave his fillyfriend a quick kiss then continued his flight away from the big city.

The young stallion eventually alighted on a large cloud high above the rising Canterlot mountain. He carefully placed his quivering lover down and settled beside her.

Spitfire glanced around, still slightly on edge. They were alone. No sign of any other ponies. Just the dark forest immediately below them and the city in the distance. A further wave of relief washed through her system. Spitfire lovingly wrapped her husband in a tight hug.

Soarin smiled back, delighted to have found his wife after such a long flight.

The couple continued to canoodle on the large cloud and Spitfire wasted no time in showing her husband her gratitude and love.


Spitfire and Soarin lay, cuddled together on their own private cloud in the afterglow of their reunion. The stars twinkled overhead and the moon shone, illuminating the couple with its pale light.

Soarin gave his lover a quick kiss. “So... uh, how do you feel now?”

“Amazing...” Spitfire hummed as she nuzzled her husband. “Although, I think you felt a little more eager than normal. Did somepony miss me?”

“Yeah,” Soarin nodded. “Did you miss me?”

“I did. It was weird not having your big dumb face around,” Spitfire slyly replied.

“Well thank you, hot flank.” Soarin shot back playfully.

“Sore flank, you mean.” Spitfire giggled.

The colt’s grin fell away, replaced in an instant with concern. “Was I too rough?”

“No,” Spitfire gave her husband a tight hug. “You were wonderful. Made me forget the tough day I had.”

“Oh. How did meeting the princess go?” Soarin tentatively asked.

Spitfire nuzzled her husband for a few sweet moments before she relaxed into his side and met his shining eyes, aglow with love for her. The young mare smiled, “she’s really nice. But when I arrived to follow up on the headmare’s application I got lost. Arrived late then got fobbed off by some snarky unihorn. Princess Celestia herself put that snob in his place. She accepted the program and gave us her best wishes. She’s actually super cool! Like, really cool!”

“You got to meet thee Princess Celestia? Get outta here!” Soarin stared at his mare with wide eyes.

“I did. Apparently she even runs a special school for gifted unicorns and likes meeting outstanding students. Anyway, after totally getting the course okayed by the princess herself, uh... I had a late lunch at this nice looking place on the edge of the city, near the front gate. Owned by a nice pink pegasus. I’ll need to take you there, she’s nicer than a lot of those snobby unicorns. Then I did two laps of the mountainside and then tried to find a place to stay.”

The young stallion’s countenance darkened, “Okay, but then you seemed all distressed when I caught you.”

Spitfire eyed the black eye that was forming. “Sorry about that, by the way.”

“Huh?”

“Me, hitting you. Your right eye looks terrible.”

Realization lit the face of the pale blue colt. “Oh yea, I totally forgot once we got started.”

“I dunno what you’re gonna do when I get too big for us to have sex,” a playful shove followed Spitfire’s cheeky response.

Soarin blushed.

“I’m teasing, love you,” Spitfire giggled.

“Love you too,” Soarin lent in and their lips connected for a sweet, pleasant moment.

“But seriously. I feel like we should stop having sex soon. I know the baby is only really small still, but I don’t wanna risk anything.”

“Sure,” Soarin quickly agreed, his eyes upon his wife’s barrel. “He will be worth it.”

“She.”

Soarin rolled his eyes then planted his gaze upon the pretty face of his mate.

“So, how was your day?” Spitfire almost purred as she nuzzled into her strong lover’s side. She gave his foreleg a light squeeze and shamelessly began to feel his muscles.

Soarin grinned like a lovestruck idiot. “Fine. Paperwork and practicing on the new course. But soon as school was over, I left to find you. Took me over an hour of looking around, I was really glad when I saw you speeding along like you were on the run from a mighty beast.” He playfully nuzzled her back then realised her reaction was not one of fun and games. “Wait. Were you on the run?”

Spitfire’s gaze fell to her forehooves. “I... don’t wanna talk about it.”

The pale blue colt pouted, “aw, come on. I’m your husband. You can tell me anything.”

Spitfire gazed at him reproachfully, “fine. But it was just some creepy pegasus stallion.”



Two blue wings shot up and Soarin half stood as he clutched his wife close as though to protect her from the world. “He didn’t touch you did he? Please tell me nothing happened to you. I could never forgive myself if-”

“Sssssh...” A yellow hoof silenced the worried colt. Spitfire couldn’t help but enjoy the way her hubby’s body tensed and his wings flexed as he stood protectively over her. “No. I high tailed it out of there before he did anything.”

“Oh good,” filled with relief, Soarin collapsed back into the cuddle with his wife.

A light blue hoof sneaked down the yellow coat of Spitfire till it came to rest upon her cutie mark. “This is mine. No pony else is allowed to touch. And I will protect you, even if I gotta skip the last day of school to do it.”

Spitfire huffed. “Don’t do that, ya dummy. I’m fine.”

Soarin shot his wife a challenging side glance then snuck in a kiss on her jaw. “Nope. Minds made up.”

“And what if they kick your dumb ass out for leaving early?”

“Then I’m staying here, at your side where I belong.”

Spitfire rolled her eyes. “And if I command you to go back to school for Friday?”

“No,” Soarin poked his nose up in the air in defiance.

Happy to play his game, Spitfire offered an alternative. “And what if we spend tonight on this cloud, you go to school tomorrow morning, then we meet at the front gate of Canterlot at six in the evening? Have round three or five of giving our baby a bumpy ride.”

“But I wanna stay with you.” Bright green eyes sparkled and blue cheeks puffed out as Soarin did his best puppy eyes.

Rather than submit, vibrant orange irises dazzled back and a yellow lip poked out as Spitfire pouted cutely back.

A light blue lip poked even further out.

Spitfire tilted her head a bit and batted her eyelids.

A brief sparkle of laughter rippled across Soarin’s face but was suppressed before it reached his lips. He fluttered his wings and rolled over then tucked his forehooves in like a little colt.

A sneeze of laughter erupted from Spitfire. She crawled closer, placed her muzzle in contact with her husband's then widened her eyes in her best cute stare.

Soarin matched her growing cute eyes as best he could.

The couple gazed at one another in a silly yet tense silence that grew and grew till both young ponies were stretching their facial muscles to the extreme. 



Sudden laughter erupted into the night. Neither pegasus knew who broke first. It felt as though the dam of ridiculousness burst like a volcano. 

The couple rolled around laughing on the large cloud till every last tear of mirth and shrill cry was extinguished. Both pegasi lay there knackered and gasping for air.

“Oh, my sides...” Soarin wheezed.

“Hurt... I wonder what our baby is thinking...” Spitfire gasped.

“I bet they are wondering what mommy and daddy are doing.” Soarin scooped his misses up, placed her in the center of the cloud then resumed snuggles.

A peaceful silence took over as both youngsters enjoyed gazing into each other's eyes. Bright orange irises were the first to wander as Spitfire checked out every detail on her lover’s face. Soarin joined in with a grin.

As the cheeky colt’s gaze fell to the cloud, a light yellow hoof booped his nose. “Hey.”

“Hey yourself,”

Spitfire grinned back. “Whatcha thinking?”

“I wish I had made it out here earlier.”

Spitfire scoffed, “well if somepony had at least told me they had this grand idea of sneaking over to Canterlot after his wife...”

“It only just occurred to me when I arrived at school and saw High Winds and Fleetfoot flying together this morning.”

Two pretty yellow ears perked up. “How are those two doing?”

Soarin scuffed the cloud with a forehoof as he gazed away. “Fine, it’s weird. But they seem to be enjoying it.”

“That’s good,” a giant yawn escaped the aspiring yellow wonderbolt.

Soarin snuggled up a little closer, “I guess I’m seeing you at the front gate of Canterlot tomorrow just before six. I don’t wanna leave you right now.”

“So you’ll be good and attend school?”

“Yes, I will. I’ll be a good little colt and go to school. But... it's like... more than an hour for a speeding pegasus like you or me to fly home.”

“Then you better get up early,” Spitfire concluded with a smug grin. “I can help with that.”

“Yea, but you’re so snuggly... you make me wanna never get up...” Soarin moaned softly.

“And I love kicking your flank out of bed. It should be fun kicking you off this cloud just before seven. I wonder how far you’ll fall before your wings work.” Spitfire smirked.

“Fine. Sleep time then.” Soarin lifted his right wing and his wife was quick to settle under the pale blue canvass of feathers.

The vibrant young mare closed her eyes as she nuzzled up close. “Good night.”

“Night, nite.”

Silence fell.

The blissful peace of night settled.

...

“Hey... Spitty?”

A soft groan escaped the young mare, “I thought we were sleeping?”

“Well, yes. But... uh... I’m- I’m glad you’re okay.”

“I know. Love you too, pie face.”

“Fire mane.” Soarin smirked.

“Big belly,” Spitfire shot back.

“Cuddly Wuddly.”

Spitfire cracked open one eye and regarded her lover with disdain. “Lazy bones.”

“Hot flank.”

Spitfire smirked and bumped her flank against her lover. “Silly willy.”

A bright green eye lazily opened to regard the shining orange iris of his mate. “Well, my silly willy worked its magic on you. I guess that makes you the oven for our bun.”

Spitfire snorted then burst into giggles. “That’s gotta be the dumbest way you could possibly call me pregnant.”

“You wanna bet?” Soarin grinned back. “I’m sure I can do better than just a bun in the oven joke.”

The vibrant young mare lent over ever so slightly and kissed the lovestruck colt’s snout. “I’m sure a well endowed young stallion like yourself can. But right now I wanna cuddle you and sleep so that I can kick you off this cloud come sunrise.”

“Love you Sunshine.”

“Love you too, pie boy.”

With soft nuzzles and the slight shifting of wings, the couple settled peacefully down once more.

For this happy young couple, all was right in Equestria. Tomorrow was sure to bring fresh challenges. But for now, both teenagers were content together.

Author's Note:

This was both fun and hard. The SoarinFire parts flowed wonderfully.
But I wanted a lot more to the chapter and for a while that had me stalled. I was going to write the Rumble & Scootaloo date, but it didn't fit in anywhere here. Maybe we might get lucky later and I'll bring some hints of how well Scootaloo and her coltfriend are doing.

Had some recent ideas that should be fun to add to the mix here. Some ponies lives are about to change big time.