• Published 13th Dec 2017
  • 2,778 Views, 140 Comments

Show Business - Natedogg2006



Why would a pony make themselves completely unlikable in order to be liked. Maybe "The Great And Powerful Trixie" will be able to teach Twilight Sparkle a few things.

  • ...
1
 140
 2,778

Mentors: The Conartist

Knock knock knock!

The sound was loud and insistent, and yet the two sleeping mares it was directed at barely registered it as they remained in their private world.

Knock knock knock!!!

Three months had passed since the shows that had made The Great And Powerful Trixie once again and an even bigger star then she had ever been. With her lovely assistant Moonlight Gleam at her side she was packing in crowds at every show she played. Her latest was at one of the biggest theaters in Las Pegasas and the pair had left to a standing ovation for five shows in a row.

Knock knock knock!!!!!!!

But right now wasn't the time for that. Right now was the time for Beatrix Lulamoon and Twilight Sparkle to relax with their hooves tangled together and Twilight's head nuzzled into her favorite place in the crook of her marefriends neck. Five shows, five nights in a row had been intense for the two and they had no intention of leaving each other's embrace for as long as they could manage.

KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK!!!!!!!!!!!!

As soon as that sounds stopped.

"Uggghh... Beatrix, sweetie, did you order a wake up call or something?"

"Do I ever order a wake up call the day after a show Twilight?"

KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK!!!!!!!!!!

"Well somepony seems to want our attention pretty bad, should we do something about it?"

KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK!!!!!!!!!!!

"Uggghhh, seems like we don't have a choice in it at this point." Being closest to the door Beatrix begrudgingly began untangling herself from her marefriend and rolled herself to the side of the bed. This was a much shorter trip then it had been for them on some occasions in there relationship. The pair had gotten somewhat use to fairly luxurious accommodations due to Twilight's connections. That wasn't to say that they had not ended up cuddled close together on the showmares bedroll in her cart on several occasions when no other options were available. This time however those in charge of the shows had seen fit to make sure they had a room to stay in even if it wasn't the nicest they had ever seen. "It's probably just the promoter. He probably just thinks we're trying to milk him for another day in the room. I'll just tell him I'm paying for this one and to get lost. Just keep the bed warm for me would ya, Twilight honey." The flirting was met with pursed lips as the purple unicorn still refused to open her eyes as she blew her a kiss. Smiling, the other mare leaned back in to plant a quick kiss on her lips before lifting herself off the bed.

KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK!!!!!!!!!!

"Yeah yeah yeah, I heard you already." She yawned as she said the words, more to herself then to whoever was at the door. She trotted the short distance across the room mostly on autopilot. She was not the type of magic user who could use her magic in such a groggy state so she was fumbling with the lock with her hooves as another barrage of knocks started.

KNOCK KNO.....

"Would you cut that out already Drak...."

"And where do you get off talking to me like that young lady?"

Twilight's interest was suddenly peaked as she opened her eyes to look out from the pile of blankets and pillows left from her marefriends departure. What she saw was and older pegasus stallion wearing a weathered but still fancy suit jacket and a rather dapper top hat. His fur was a blue that was a few good shades darker then Beatrix's, and it seemed like his mane might have matched if it was not showing the signs of graying to a fair degree. The stallion seemed to take the open door for enough of an invitation as he needed and walked into the room without hesitation. Beatrix seemed unable to stop this action as she was too busy fumbling with her words.

"Pre..Pre.. P..."

"Yes I'd imagine you'd be surprised to see me. Coming back here ready to dump all that I've given you and not even trying to contact me to give me any kind of explanation."

"No, I wouldn't.. and what do you mean.. wait, how are you even..."

"These old bones aren't even in the ground yet and you think you can just destroy my legacy and I'm not going to find out."

"No, you don't understand, if you'd let me explain..."

"I don't need you to explain anything to me Beatrix. All I need you to do is point me in the direction of that two bit tart you're trying to dump my persona off on so I can..."

"Presto!!! Would you shut up for five seconds!" Though the stallion did not seem particularly off put by Beatrix's out burst he did nonetheless stop to actually regard the mare as she stopped to catch her breath. "I don't know where you're hearing rumors from but I'm not planning on dumping the Great And Powerful Trixie any time soon. I'm still years from even thinking about retiring and it's not like I've got something better to fall back on."

"Humph, well if that's the case then who exactly was that gussied up tramp you were parading across the stage last ni..."

Beatrix was suddenly in his face, hoof grabbing the collar of his jacket and a very serious look on her face. "Don't. You. Dare. Call her that again." Beatrix relaxed a little and let go of him after seeing something in his expression that Twilight could not see from where she lay. "She is not some kind of protégé I'm taking on to replace me if that's what your thinking, she's not even really my assistant to tell the truth."

"Then what is she exactly. You're performing with a passion I haven't seen you with in years. With all that I had heard had happened I figured it was an act to sucker some starry eyed newbe into taking your cares away. If that's not the case then what is it?"

"Beatrix," having finally decided to speak up, Twilight's presence was finally noticed by the stallion. He stared at her in mild shock as she adjusted herself to sit more upright on the bed. "Is everything ok?"

"Everything's fine Twilight," she turned back to regard the stallion, "as should be plain to see, she's my marefriend."

For once in his short time in the room the intruder seemed to be hesitant, staring at Twilight for a few long moments before turning another slow gaze back to the previous target of his focus. "... Well, I guess there's a much better story here then I had assumed. I presume my presence here is much more rude then I had intended. I think it would be tactful for me to bow out and instead invite the two of you to join me for breakfast downstairs." Without waiting for any confirmation from either mares he exited the room just as quickly as he had entered it, catching the door with his wing to pull it shut as he went.

"... Beatrix, sweetie. What was that about? Who was that and why did he use your real name?"

"It would probably be obvious if you weren't just waking up, but I don't really have time to explain. If you want to freshen up a little then make it quick, we gotta get downstairs in kind of a hurry."

"I may still be groggy but I can tell your flustered. Are you sure you don't want to take a few minutes to talk about what just happened."

"Oh I would love to. But like I said we don't really have the time." Feeling the question coming Beatrix continued before Twilight could protest. "Presto is an old school magician, which means he's a straight up conartist. If we don't get down there quick the only part of this breakfast we're gonna get is the bill for it on the room."

Sensing that was the last protest she was going to be able to manage Twilight decided to roll herself off the bed and go over to stand next to her marefriend. She gave her a gentle nuzzle which the mare seemed to appreciate greatly. "Well I'm ready to go if you are."

"I'm sorry in advance, this probably isn't going to be fun to deal with for you. I can handle him, but I've already told you once before that you're probably going to hate him." Twilight looked at her with questioning eyes, "let's just go, it'll be better to explain with food and probably some coffee running through our systems." She gave her a small peck on the cheek before her horn started to glow and opened the door to their room.

Author's Note:

Sorry for the wait everyone. Haven't had much time to write but that's not a good excuse. What is a good excuse is that I'm crazy and had a few issues with this story. Much like one of my previous works, I literally got caught up on ONE specific line of transitional dialog and couldn't crack it for weeks. Once I figured it out the story started following from me.. and then it started to get pretty long.
But despite the fact that I decided to hack it up, since you all have been so patient, I'm going to drop them all at once.
This is just an intro, hopefully it gives some insight on my original character and his relationship to Trixie. Hope you enjoy, let me know what you think of him.