• Published 13th Dec 2017
  • 2,743 Views, 140 Comments

Show Business - Natedogg2006



Why would a pony make themselves completely unlikable in order to be liked. Maybe "The Great And Powerful Trixie" will be able to teach Twilight Sparkle a few things.

  • ...
1
 140
 2,743

The show will always go on.

"LADIES AND GENTLE COLTS!!!!!" The Great and Powerful Trixie could hear her voice echo despite how low she was actually speaking. The sound was still nothing compared to the roar of the crowd that followed. The magic headset that was amplifying her voice thankfully also protected her ears.

"This has been the grandest and most amazing show Trixie has ever had the honor of performing." This was not a boast in the slightest. At some point it was apparently leaked from some member of the castle staff that one of the princesses was a fan of Trixie's. It was rumored that said princess was planning on attending the last show of her most recent Canterlot tour. Once this was learned, what few seats were left quickly sold out and back orders for tickets reached forward nearly a decade. The already rather large theater she was originally doing the show at decided to sell off the rights to the last show to the highest bidder. This was why the magician now stood on stage in the Canterlot Amphitheatre, one of, if not the biggest venues in all the land.

"I would like to thank all my fans for being here tonight, no matter how diehard or prestigious." Anyone who had bought tickets only because a princess was a fan were probably in luck, as there were three princesses in attendance on this night. And even more so, the royal box had to be extended for six additional seats. The Elements of Harmony were well known fans of the magician and were given places of honor up with the princesses. However, anypony paying attention was puzzled by both the lack of the element of magic and an old pegasus stallion sitting in her seat and beaming down with what looked like pride in his eyes.

"If Trixie had it her way, this night WOULD NEVER END!!!!!" The crowd erupted again as Trixie felt the stage shake. "But unfortunately, all good things must come to an end." There was a mild lul as the crowd voiced their disappointment. "But you know what," the roar of the crowd picked up again. "Trixie does have one more trick she's been working on." The roar started shaking the building once again. "If everypony reallllllly wants to see it, Trixie might be able to oblige."

The whole area now shook noticably as the entire crowd began to also pound their hooves.

"Do you all want to see it... Do you really... I can't hear you!!!!" At her encouragement the crowd was now working itself into a frenzy. "Well all right then. If you really want to see it, then Trixie is going to need your help in welcoming back to the stage, her lovely assistant, MOONLIGHT GLEAM!!!!!"

The curtain was thrown open and a familiar but transformed pony strutted out. Though she would never show it, she had no idea what was going on. Her magician was prone to random improvisation in her shows, but after four encores she had definitely thought it was ok to get the champagne out. She had barely had time to get back into costume when she heard the crowd roaring back to life again.

So Moonlight just took her spot on center stage and waited for what might happen. She knew Trixie could be more then a little impulsive, but she trusted her enough to see her through whatever she was planning.

"Isn't she wonderful everypony, lets give her a little more." The cheering continued. "That's right everypony show her some love. Because tonight might be the last night anypony ever sees her." Twilight had to fight not to roll her eyes at the theatrics as her magician slash marefriend walked around her in an ominous way. She still had no idea what trick she was planning, but obviously Trixie had a plan.

With a flick of her cape and a straightening of her hat, Trixie stopped in front of the mare. "Are you ready everypony!" More frantic cheering. "Well then prepare yourselves. Because right here tonight, The Great and Powerful Trixie will perform her most amazing feet to date. Right here, in front of you all today, I will transform my lovely assistant..."

At that moment a rush of steam shot up from the floor, hiding the pair for less then a second. In that second a rush of sensations hit Twilight hard. A magic aura quickly engulfed her and stripped her costume from her, mask and all. She also felt this aura cancel her transformation spell. Her instincts were to resist or redo what was done, but she didn't have the time. Just as quickly as it had come the wall of steam was gone. As she adjusted to being able to see again she saw something amazing before her.

Twilight was not the only pony Beatrix had stripped during their brief second under cover. She now was, for the second time in less then a year, on stage with no costume, save the earpiece so the whole crowd could hear what she had to say. She was kneeling before Twilight, extending a hoof that held a small black box.

"...Into my lovely wife."

The crowd couldn't hear Twilight's response. But after going suddenly quiet while the shock wore off the stunned mare, they all began cheering again as they saw the glisten of tears, a whole hearted smile, and a frantically bobbing head.

The lights went down as the pair embraced.

Author's Note:

In other, non cannon news, that night the princesses crowns went missing and Presto now owns the largest casino in Las Pegasus. No, don't pay attention to that, just using humor to mask emotions. In truth I'm getting a little teary eyed writing these last notes. I really loved writing this story for the last.. dang, ten plus months, and seeing it end is kind of sad.
I'm probably going to be taking a break from writing for a while, partially to recover, mostly because I don't think I can follow this. This is more then I ever thought I could write, and it's the longest project I've ever done that I didn't hate by the end.
All that being said, I doubt this will be the end. I feel like I might end up making short ova type stories in this same universe just because I feel like there was a lot I never explored.
Thank you to everyone who has stayed with me thoughout this whole thing. Thank you for your support, your patience, your help, and your ideas. Hopefully you all like the finished product.

Comments ( 48 )

Really liked this story, great work. Hope to see more work from you after you recharge

Very nice. Also that probably raises a bar for most over the top method of asking that question.

9242687
Thanks. This has been fun, but intense.

9243218
Would you expect anything less from the great and powerful Trixie. Thanks for sticking around for this whole time.

9243681
Thank you for writing it.

Finally hit 500 views. Thank you so much everyone. Good to see it's still getting attention after it finished. I really loved writing this story, so I love still seeing that people are enjoying it.

A slightly preemptively celebration of this story getting to 600 views. Doing this just as a way of finding out who it was who decided to put it up on the twixie fangroup page. Just wanted to say thank you to whoever that was. Blew my mind and made my day to find it there.

I loved this story. I think after reading this, Twixie is now my favorite ship.

I think you should do a story about the wedding and their married life. That would be awesome 😁

9452054
There is a follow up. Not of their married life unfortunately though. :twilightsheepish:

reread it and just as good as the first time,
I can see them some how have two filly, twins, one has twilight sparkle magical output but take after Trixie in the whole being on stage, while other more like twilight in the brains but magical output be same as Trixie,

Only my second story to get to SEVEN HUNDRED VIEWS. Thanks so much every one

part of me want to see them few year later with a little filly teach her some magic

9620986
i can see him y ear later keep an eye on tixie and twilight filly if they ever had a child, be grandpa and either be way way over his head or something else happen on his watch and he has to con his way to get her back.

9620722
No plans for something like that yet. Maybe it's because I don't have kids, but stories like that don't really come to mind when I think about these characters.

800 views. It is now by a fair margin my most viewed story. I'm very proud about that.

This was so well written and absolutely engrossing! I can’t believe it has so few likes! Favorited!!

9797309
Always appreciated. It's still my personal fav of my stories, I just don't believe myself to be that good of a writer. I don't promote my stories, so I don't mind that they don't get attention. I much prefer genuine feed back like yours, so once again, thanks.

Did someone upload one of my stories to a group again because I've been getting a lot of views lately. If so, thanks so much. And either way, thanks so much for 900 views.

9828890
I personally found it through the GREAT AND POWERFUL TRIXIE group. Either way, the story was heartwarming and just overall great.

9860348
Did not know that group even excited. Double thank you then, both for telling me and for the fav. Thank you, thank you, and thank you so much.:pinkiehappy:

Thank you everyone for making this my first story to reach one thousand views.

hmm...just re-read this again. Such a well made Twixie story. My only regret is not seeing more of her first few weeks in ponyville, or really more of Trixie interacting with royalty, but both of those don't add to the relationship so much as are just fun to read when done well, and you did them both well.

Suppose seeing Spike and Trixie in the first days of meeting up too, buuut there are always a million interesting scenes you can put in, and a not infinite amount of time to do them. :twilightoops:

I can see Trixie eventually looking to get revenge on Luna for all that food throwing, when more comfortable at least.

I would say the only flaw I find still is the major fight between Trixie and Twilight. You don't understand what they are fighting about until they make up, so are in a sense of confusion. One chapter it's all going awesome, the next suddenly jars you into a problem you do not know anything about until much later. Even know I am assuming based on what I read between the lines that they argued about Trixie meeting Twilight's parents, or Trixie not wanting to talk about her parents.

But past that this was a wonderful read and is very helpful to look over for a good relationship, so much great detail in the more saucy scenes despite the utter lack of actual sex. It's impressive to me, at the least.

Good luck with whatever you plan on next. :pinkiehappy:

9967295
Thanks so much for such encouraging words. I actually have/am expanding this little world I've created. Just a little for right now, but there might be even more on the way, ( that's a secret, don't tell anyone:raritywink: )
Also, I actually like hearing that the circumstances of their argument cause that specific kind of confusion. I honestly feel like, at least in certain situations, the argument isn't really important as to why a couple has issues. It's more about how they felt when it happened. And I wanted to do that by showing that irrational thinking that causes us to force ourselves to stay in that mood and keep ourselves miserable. Though I probably did sacrifice some narrative structure for the sake of dramatic tension. Thanks for the input, I mean that sincerely. But judging by your reaction, I'm probably keeping it just the way it is:rainbowwild:
Oh, and thanks so much for the watch as well:pinkiehappy:

9967348

Also, I actually like hearing that the circumstances of their argument cause that specific kind of confusion.

If that is what you were going for, then that is fine. It just made me have to go back and think I somehow skipped a chapter. The detail you did was great, especially bringing up how Trixie had been annoyed at the squeak on the wagon's wheel for days now, a reference to a earlier chapter.

I honestly feel like, at least in certain situations, the argument isn't really important as to why a couple has issues.

Totally fine if that is your thought process. For me, I'm not in the relationship, so I want a clearer story of what I am witnessing. I still am not sure if either side was in the wrong, or went too far, or what. Now, those details don't really matter at all when it comes to the feelings surrounding the couple, but they do to the reader. That whole 'journey more important than the destination' thing. But imagine in 'Road to Friendship' if we never saw the argument, or what led up to Trixie and Starlight fighting, and then Starlight just sells Trixie's cart. The watcher is left with a big piece of the puzzle that is never explained and thinking they must have skipped a few minutes of the episode somehow.

Now, if that is what you were going for, then yeah, you did it very well and you totally are on top of what you are trying to convey to the reader. :pinkiehappy:

This is a quite good and criminally under-exposed story. Very well done. The relationship was cute and believable; the characters themselves fleshed out and consistent. Your Trixie/Beatrix was a joy to get to know. Just a treat all around.

My only criticisms would be some spelling/grammar issues could use cleaning up and how the sudden fight was introduced. Not even how it was handled, per se; just with how abrupt it was and given its focus, I initially thought it was meant to be a flashback or something. Maybe just when referencing her last big show, you could have added "with Twilight", or, if you don't want her to use Twi's name (denial/avoidance/etc), just "with ..." and she cuts herself off. Course, it may just be poor reading on my part. Either way, it worked itself out quickly enough.

Those small issues aside, this story was delightful. Thank you for your time and work in making it! :twilightsmile:

9983331
I love hearing constructive criticism like this. Others have told me the part with the fight is a little abrupt. I think I sacrificed narrative structure for the sake of dramatic tension somewhat, but it was a calculated risk. Their fight on screen probably would have been not unlike a generic last act fight in a subpar romcom. One where you shout at the screen "oh my freaking god, two freaking words any person would say in this situation would fix this." I wanted it to be more like when you have a bad day, then you get home and realize you didn't really have a bad day, you had one bad experience and made yourself miserable about it all day. A sort of "what happened is less important then how you feel about it", sort of thing.
I do like some of your ideas to fix it though. I'm never done fixing my stories, but I'm probably past the point of major changes. But some extra detail work never hurts. Thanks so much for reading, enjoying, and trying to help out.

I love this story. It's the best fanfic involving Trixie that I've had the absolute plesure reading. It felt like I was waching the show. I couldn't stop reading. It was astoundingly good. For one who claims they threw it together like mashed potatoes, it was beautiful. It was beautiful period. I'm so glad you wrote this story, thank you for writing it.

10223101
Thanks so much for reading. I love hearing that it felt like the show. I write because I love the characters, so to hear it felt that close is great. I don't plan much when I write, and this story was originally only going to be the first few chapters. People like you are the reason I ended up loving it so much that I kept writing. So thank you and thanks for the fav as well.

10223431
I almost forgot to add how much better this story is compared to what we get in canon FiM. They basically make her out yo ba a delusional bigot, whereas this storyline actually makes sense. It is sooo much better than what is done in the show and makes the characters much more realistic. Even without the romance, this story is infinitely better than the canon one. This story makes the characters lifelike, rather than the black and white bs that we get in canon. I commend your storytelling and character building. Thank you for writing. :)

10223557
Now you're making me blush. And yes, the great and powerful Trixie seemed like a stage persona all the way. She even breaks character at the end of the episode. Thanks once again for reading and seeing what I was going for.

10223557
Oh, and thinks for the watch as well.:twilightblush:

you are vary welcome...

really enjoyed this story, and this chapter really had me rolling in lautgher a couple of times....

a sequel would lovely.... but thats only becuase i kinda wanna see how trixie would react to alicorn twili and some of the other event like friends ship castle....
just becuase i really like the way you wrote Trixe

but i a really good story that feels complet and wholesome (so it wouldnt need a sequel)

10494284
Glad you to hear. I love that some of my older stories can still make people happy. And while there isn't a sequel there is actually a side story. That side story is currently incomplete. And on a completely unrelated matter, get the heck out of my head, it's dangerous in there:trixieshiftright:

10494376
well i will give it a read :twilightsmile:

cant promise anything try to stay out off your head :rainbowwild:
but sometime you gotta live life dangerous :trixieshiftright:

10848420
Oh I quite do. I love spicy things.:ajsmug:

Always wanted to taste one of those rainbows:twilightsheepish:

10850997
No, thank you for reading. Now don't go chasing Rainbow's, they're too fast:rainbowwild:

OMG! What a fantastic ending! I'm just SQUEEEEEEEEEEEE POP!:pinkiehappy:

10927928
Hm. I think you might like my story that is in the process of being approved by the site. ^^

10928041

Well, as I said, you walked the line here. I'm not entirely on your side with the "if neither regrets" it portion. I say consent was given and you described it for both partys. And that's what made it work for me.

And yes, I have a strong opinion on this subject matter. I wrote two entire chapters to let them give consent.

11301199
Thanks so much for your comments. I love seeing someone experience the story as they go. This might still be my favorite of my stories, and it was largely because of how I got to write Trixie and Twilight. You are right, what made the show so great was watching the characters learn and how those different personalities went about it. That's what made me love the characters and what I try to bring across in my stories. Glad to see you're liking it and I hope to hear what you think by the end. Again, thanks so much. :twilightsmile::trixieshiftright:

Mate
10494284
I'm still hoping for that sequel where Twilight becomes an alicorn 🤔

Or maybe they adopted or magically impregnated each other to have foal's 🤔


But that aside think this is my 3rd or 5th read or the story and it is still good 😊

11456052
Thanks so much once again. You actually helped me track down a couple more typos those onion cutting ninjas left in there. :twilightoops:

11456209
:twilightoops::rainbowderp:
pecks of dyslexsia i didnt see them :rainbowlaugh:
and it had nothing to do with me reading the story in the middle of the night so i might have been really sleepy :rainbowlaugh:

but you are very welcome :twilightsmile:

Thyrrnatf #48 · Monday · · ·

Still a fantastic story 🤣

Login or register to comment