• Published 4th Nov 2017
  • 2,809 Views, 70 Comments

AJ and the Dragon - MiraculousDragonMaster



A beautiful girl becomes a prisoner to a beastly dragon under a curse. But as time goes, they eventually see beyond their appearances and slowly begin to fall in love. A humanized Equestria AU based off Beauty and the Beast.

  • ...
7
 70
 2,809

A Cold New Home

AJ and the Dragon

Chapter 6

A Cold New Home

The Dragon started making his way back to the dungeon tower. How did he even get in this predicament? He was a prince! Or at least, a respected figure back in his homeland. He was supposed to have power and tons of servants to do his will. But instead, he is a hideous monster living in the middle of nowhere.

"Uh, excuse me, sir." said a prim voice.

"What?" He growled as he turned and saw Rarity on his right.

"Eh, since, um, that country girl is going to be with us for a while, perhaps you will offer her a more, uh, comfortable room." She suggested, while inwardly cringing at her choice of words. She had never called Applejack that before, despite their differences, but Twilight thought that it would be best for now that he doesn't know of their friendships with her until the two warm up to each other. If they ever do.

The Dragon growled at her again, making her freeze in fright, and then returned to his walk up the tower. But as he did, he thought about it. If this cowgirl could be the one to free him from his curse, then, at least he could try to be hospitable.


The Dragon opened the cell door and saw Applejack sitting on the stone floor, leaning on the wall near the window, with Winona on her lap, whining sadly. She stroked the collie's fur slowly. When she saw him, she glared at him, her emerald eyes glowing like flames.

"You didn't even let me say goodbye!" She shouted angrily at him, but it sounded like she might start crying. "I'll never see 'em again!" She turned her head away from the Dragon and to the window.

The Dragon frowned; not with annoyance, but with sorrow. He just took away her family and freedom. He remembered when he lost all that as well. He quickly then put on a grim face, not wanting to get sentimental. "I'll show you to your room."

AJ was surprised and confused as she turned back to him. "My room?" She asked.

"You wanna stay in the tower?" The Dragon asked.

"No." She answered with her eyes narrowed, still trying to keep her tough facade.

"Then follow me."


Applejack followed the Dragon throughout the castle, observing the dark and brooding décor of the castle. Winona whimpered with fright at the shadows casting on the walls as she followed her mistress, staying close by her heels.

The Dragon looked back at AJ, but she turned away from him, pretending to still be looking at the architecture. He then saw a figure on one of the ledges of the ceiling and recognized it as Rainbow Dash. She silently motioned him to say something to her. The Dragon turned back to Applejack.

"Uh, I... I hope you like it here." Out of the corner of his eye, he saw Dash motioning him to go on. "The castle's your home now, so you can go wherever you like, except my chambers in the West Wing. It's forbidden." He said that last sentence in a snarl, stopping in his tracks.

"Understood." AJ said, even though she flinched at his growl. The Dragon beckoned her to continue following him.

Finally, the Dragon led Applejack to her room. She and Winona entered and looked at their surroundings. In the dark room, there was a large bed with simple red velvet sheets, plush pillows, a large closet on one wall, and a simple green rug on the floor near the bed, where Winona decided to take a nap on. There was also a large picture window showing the blizzard that was beginning.

"Now, if you need anything, my servants will attend to you." AJ visibly cringed at the thought of servants at her every whim. She would rather tend herself than act like a spoiled snob.

The Dragon continued speaking. "I'll see you at dinner."

Applejack raised an eyebrow, but still didn't look at him. "You want me to join ya for dinner?" She asked.

The Dragon snarled at her not facing him at least. "Yes, and it's not a request!" He yelled before slamming the door hard.

AJ banged on the door with her fists, while Winona started clawing at it, barking. "I hate you!" She screamed, before slumping down to the floor in sorrow. She never said that to anyone before. True, she had people she didn't like, but she never said it aloud, and not like that. Quietly, she began to sing.

Applejack: Yes, I made the choice.
For my family, I'll stay.
But I don't deserve to lose
My freedom in this way,
You monster!

She glared at the door, imagining the Dragon was still behind it.

If you think that what you've done is right, well then,
You're a fool! Think again.

AJ erased her grim face to look around her new room. It was so dark and gloomy. But, she didn't have the urge to find a lamp now.

Is this home? Is this where I should learn to be happy?
Never dreamed that a home could be dark and cold.
I was told everyday in my childhood,
Even when we grow old,

Home will be where the heart is.
Never were words so true.
My heart's far, far away.
Home is, too.

Applejack got up from the floor and slowly walked over to the large window.

Is this home? Is this what I must learn to believe in?
Try to find something good in this tragic place?
Just in case, I should stay here forever,
Held in this empty space.

Oh, but that won't be easy.
I know the reason why.
My heart's far, far away.
Home's a lie.

She placed her hand on the cold glass, seeing nothing but snow flying everywhere outside. She couldn't even see the Everfree Forest through this blizzard.

What I'd give to return to the life that I knew lately.
But I know that I can't solve my problems going back.

AJ removed her hand and stared up at the ceiling, seeing and feeling the height of the room. She then walked over to her bed, feeling helpless and defeated.

Is this home? Am I here for a day or forever?
Shut away from the world until who knows when?
Oh, but then, as my life has been altered once,
It can change again.

Build higher walls around me.
Change every lock and key.
Nothing lasts, nothing holds all of me.
My heart's far, far away, home and free.

Finally, Applejack began releasing the tears that had building up inside. She dropped to her bedside and quietly started weeping. Winona came over to her side and licked her hand in order to try and console her, but up to no avail.


Soon, after a few minutes, AJ's sobs turned into sniffles. A knock was then heard on her door.

"May we come in?" A soft yet familiar voice asked.

Applejack cleared her throat, wiped away any remaining tears, and got up from her bed. "Yeah. Give me a minute." She found a lamp on her dresser near the door and pulled the chain, brightening up her room a bit. She then turned the knob, and opened it.

Three familiar girls were there, standing patiently. The eldest carried a jug of something and a glass cup. AJ jumped back a bit when she recognized them, especially the one who was about her age.

"Fluttershy?" She asked.

She nodded happily as she entered, placed the jug on a desk, and the two embraced. They were both crying now, but with tears of joy.

"I missed you, Applejack." Fluttershy said.

"Me, too, sugarcube."

The two then parted. AJ then looked over at her other two guests. "Sweetie Belle? Scootaloo?"

"Applejack!" The two tackled the cowgirl in a huge hug and AJ returned it. Then, she released them. "Well, I'm guessin' y'all saw Apple Bloom when she was here."

"Yeah." Scootaloo replied. "But, we didn't even get a chance to catch up."

"Because of..." Sweetie Belle went silent. AJ's face became grim, but she still gave the younger girls a comforting smile.

"She missed ya both." Applejack said.

"You want some apple cider, Applejack?" Fluttershy asked, handing AJ a glass of cider.

"Thanks, Fluttershy." AJ took a sip. She then noticed the strange features of her friends. The realization of that almost made her spit out her cider, but she thankfully managed to swallow before she spoke. "What in tarnation happened to y'all?!" She exclaimed, surprised. "Y'all look like... dragons."

Fluttershy brushed away a lock of her hair from her face. "That's a long story. But, we'll tell you it soon."

Applejack then had a thought. "Wait. If you three are here, does that mean...?"

Sweetie Belle nodded. "Yep. We're all here!"

"Rainbow Dash, Twilight, Pinkie Pie, and Rarity!" Scootaloo counted off her claws. "Also, there's a few more here as well."

AJ didn't hear that last part. She was overjoyed of the fact that all of her best friends were here! "Where are they?" She asked excitedly.

"They're downstairs, preparing dinner." Fluttershy said. Applejack's joy vanished. Dinner. She frowned as she placed the glass of cider on the desk, next to the jug.

"That reminds me." Fluttershy said. "We need to get you ready."

"That's mighty kind of ya, sugarcube, but I ain't going to dinner." Applejack said.

Sweetie Belle silently motioned to Scootaloo that they should give them some privacy, and they left the room, closing the door behind them.

Fluttershy looked down at the floor. Of course Applejack wouldn't want to join the Dragon for dinner, not after what he did. "I'm sorry about him. That was a little bit on edge, even for him."

AJ sat down on her bed, Fluttershy beside her. "How can you handle him?" AJ asked.

Before Fluttershy could answer, Rarity came into the room. "Applejack!" She cried out happily.

"Rarity!" Applejack got off the bed to hug her friend. "It's been a while."

"It sure has, darling." Rarity agreed. Then, she released her. "I came to tell you that dinner is served."

AJ looked back at Fluttershy, then back over to Rarity and gave her friend her answer.

Author's Note:

A/N: I love the song I used in this chapter, "Home". It's my favorite one from the musical. I don't own it, though. I wish I did.

Hope you guys enjoyed it. I gave a clue about the Dragon's past, and more will be revealed later. Also, soon, we'll see what's happening back in Ponyville. No songs for a while, though.

Don't forget to let me know what y'all think. See ya in Chapter 7!

Got to fly! ;)